I worry we take a QB @ 8 just to placate fans

Funny didn't nix say that exact same thing about being able to go BPA when you have your QB already in place to the Tampa GM on the recorded call? Hummm....

You are talking pre Goddell NFL there bud. No way in hell do you get to a superbowl without a stud QB. And now even if you have one that isn't a guarantee, but it is a guarantee you have NO prayer without one

is Eli a stud ? Now we are putting Flacco in the stud column because of a kick return ? Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, Rex Grossman, Brad Johnson and even Rich Gannon have all been in superbowls in the last 10 years. And that's before we go back to Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Steve McNair, Kerry Collins- thats all within the last 15 years and that's 11 different quarterbacks who are far from studs. What makes a stud QB ?- their kicker makes a 48 yard FG to win and he's a stud- he misses and now the qb is not ?????

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is Eli a stud ? Now we are putting Flacco in the stud column because of a kick return ? Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, Rex Grossman, Brad Johnson and even Rich Gannon have all been in superbowls in the last 10 years. And that's before we go back to Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Steve McNair, Kerry Collins- thats all within the last 15 years and that's 11 different quarterbacks who are far from studs. What makes a stud QB ?- their kicker makes a 48 yard FG to win and he's a stud- he misses and now the qb is not ?????

Eli and Flacco have made plays when it counted. I distinctly remember Flacco scrambling to the sideline and somehow nailing a bomb to Torrey Smith in the Super Bowl, obviously the bomb to Jacoby to take the Ravens to OT against Denver. Blown coverage on the latter, sure, but Flacco did show poise in the pocket, moving up and making the play. Some of it could be luck, but I think plenty separates Eli and Joe from the rest of the bunch. The other winners? Dilfer and Johnson played with two of the best defenses in NFL history.

I mean, if you want to win the Super Bowl, you either have a really good QB, or a ridiculous defense. I think it's absolutely possible to win games with an average QB, even in the playoffs, but I can't think of a time where a championship squad didn't have at least one.

Edited by Big C

I don't see it PTR. I think Marrone wants to win and understands what it takes to win in the NFL.

A college QB who is not ready isn't about to lead any team to the playoffs. I think he knows that, kinda why they brought in Kevin Kolb.

Its probably just me, but I don't see this years team running an up tempo WCO with the current line or having a dominate run game in a closed set with the current players either. Plus the Bills also need two WR's and a TE.

With Kolb the Bills are not as desperate as they make themselves out to be, so I can see a QB in the 2nd for certain, just not in the first.

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

Anyone feel the same way?

PTR

Oh, how I agree. Sadly, Nix has put together some bad drafts as a GM and he will pick our new franchise QB in 48 hours. Fear, I feel it. Excitment of something new, not as much. Nix will select the QB and the bold statement "We picked the best player on our board" will be said by him yet again.

After pick 7, Marrone will be excited and Nassib will be wearing a Bills uni...or maybe not.

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

PTR

I highly doubt Nix would pick a QB just to placate fans. Just look at his history of picks. The Spiller pick certainly wasn't to placate fans, in fact it pissed a lot of fans off. Dareus, at the time, was a no brainer, and fell into the Bills lap. Gilmore definitely wasn't to placate fans, considering 4 years earlier they had picked a CB in the first round. And many fans loathe picking a CB that high in the first round.

If the #8 pick comes up and they select a QB, it's because they think he is a franchise QB, not to make fans happy. Especially when 75% of fans can't even agree which QB they think is that one. So you'll end up pissing off the majority of fans for not picking the "right one."

PTR

Not me. I don't care if they continue to select Qb's with EVERY SINGLE pick they have, until they finally get a real qb. It's been 20 YEARS!!

The last thing I care about, is the not-so-immense joy of watching some great player piss away his entire career, on teams that don't even make the playoffs.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

If there's ONE thing Nix doesn't do, it's make a pick to placate the fans. Criticize his decisions all you want, but I firmly believe he always does what he thinks is best for the football team, not the fan base.

Seriously, why would any reasonable person think this was true, if there was so much dissension amongst the fans as to who is the top QB available.

I have seen very, very few fans say "Just take a QB at 8, I don't care who it is."

I don't think there is one guy available that even 50% of the fans would be in favor of if they drafted him. So how would this possibly benefit the team by "placating the fans". Not a huge portion under any possible scenario would be placated.

it seems to me there are a lot of people that are thinking along the lines of "i'll be ok with player x, y, or z at 8, i just don't want player q". and there is a large contingent that are of the opinion they don't care who the qb is they pick, as long as they pick him at 41. and lastly there are the fans that just want the draft to get here so they can see what their team is going to look like and the fans who just want the draft to get here so they can p!$$ and moan about it.

so yeah, whatever they do, the fans as a majority will not be placated.

PTR

Yes

PTR

NO, I don't feel that way at ALL. I don't believe the Bills, especially Marrone, would take a QB at 8 they do not believe in. For Marrone, that decision is much more important to his career than any consideration about fan "feelings" leading up to opening day.

I edited this to say it's not rational to believe this is even a realistic possibility. I would make zero sense and this just fuels the fire of nutty conspiracy theorists.

As a master of fact, the far EASIER decision is to NOT take a QB at 8. Who could criticize the franchise if they determine that no player in this "poor" (not my word) QB class are worthy of the selection?

On the flip side, if the Bills think that a QB is worth the pick (especially Nassib), I will be excited that they think enough of the pick to take the criticism.

Edited by Max Fischer

PTR

The only people who think the Bills draft players for this reason are the same people who believe fans can actually "run" players "out of town".

There is no evidence that this FO does much to please "the fans", especially when it comes to drafting a QB.

That being said, what other "franchise-caliber player" would we pick at 8? This draft is pretty weak in the first round--people are projecting 3 T's going in the top 10. Why is getting a QB at 41 so much better than getting him at 8? Who would we be missing out on? A couple of WRs that would be huge reaches at 8 (we did that in the 3rd round last year--"the fans" weren't happy)? Another CB (our 3rd drafted in the 1st 2 rounds in 3 years)? Another LT to go with the one we just "stole" last year?

As several have mentioned, the new rookie scale has made first round picks throwaways. Your top 10 QB pick doesn't pan out? trade him, cut him, draft another. Given this, I would much rather pick and fail with the most important position of need (and in the game) than to settle on a low impact (LT) or depth filler (CB) or another TJ Graham.

Pass rusher is the only other position you can take ahead of QB.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just let the draft happen and be a fan. If we take a QB at #8 it's because we know we wouldn't have gotten said QB at #41.

I've never wanted a draft to just be over with as much as this one just based on these fan posts

No.

With the new rookie wage scale, we can draft one in the first round every year until we find one.

There's no point in shoring up this or that position without a QB. You simply MUST have a good one.

Once we find one, two things will happen. (1) the team will be better on both sides of the ball. (2) Then, when you are close to making a run, and 1 or 2 players away, you can spend your first round pick on a non-QB. Until then, you must find a QB at all costs. Dont gamble on waiting until round two.

If there's a guy you think is a franchise QB in this draft, take him at 8 and never look back. If there's a guy you think MIGHT be a franchise QB in this draft, take him at 8 and never look back.

What you're proposing here is to waste high picks as many times as is necessary to get that franchise QB. I don't think you build a team that way. Buddy keeps saying that he's intrigued by this class of QB; that there are QBs that are "good enough to win with". That expression makes me torque my jaws. That is the Fitzpatrick standard. We do not need another Fitzpatrick. Buddy should be looking for a QB he thinks is good enough to QB a Super Bowl winning team. That is the standard he should be using when evaluating QBs. So ask yourself this; there are players available in this draft at the 8th spot that seem good enough from day one to start and look like future all pros. Is there one of those at the QB position this year. If not, Buddy should not take one at 8. How about another standard? Is there a QB available that causes you to say, whow, look at that throw and Is that throw consistantly there with that QB? If not, should you take him just because we need a QB. If you're answer is yes and we applied that standard to every position of need, Buffalo would be selecting the the first pick in the draft year after year.

Exactly. If they take a qb at 8, its because they think he can be a franchise qb. If they dont take a qb at 8, its because they dont feel there is one. But Nix has already come out and said there are 2 or 3. So my guess is, the Bills will be taking a QB at 8. If they miss, so what? We've missed on a lot of players in the draft before. The one player you cant pick up in free agency is a franchise qb. You can address every other position in FA. Only place to get a franchise qb is through the draft. This is mind boggling to me that fans dont even want this team to attempt to get a QB that might work out to be a franchise qb.

Tell New Orleans and Denver this that they do not have Franchise QBs.

PTR

Agree 100%. Take BPA at 8. Take value and we can take need later when it is closer to actual value (though with QB we know you have to draft higher than actual value). Our only hope is if someone wants to move up (though latest word is there are more sellers, looking to trade down, than buyers looking to move up--figures, luck of the Bills!). On a different note, why is Buddy even drafting? Should have been shown the door with Chan, et al. Sorry--off topic!!

What you're proposing here is to waste high picks as many times as is necessary to get that franchise QB. I don't think you build a team that way. Buddy keeps saying that he's intrigued by this class of QB; that there are QBs that are "good enough to win with". That expression makes me torque my jaws. That is the Fitzpatrick standard. We do not need another Fitzpatrick. Buddy should be looking for a QB he thinks is good enough to QB a Super Bowl winning team. That is the standard he should be using when evaluating QBs. So ask yourself this; there are players available in this draft at the 8th spot that seem good enough from day one to start and look like future all pros. Is there one of those at the QB position this year. If not, Buddy should not take one at 8. How about another standard? Is there a QB available that causes you to say, whow, look at that throw and Is that throw consistantly there with that QB? If not, should you take him just because we need a QB. If you're answer is yes and we applied that standard to every position of need, Buffalo would be selecting the the first pick in the draft year after year.

Well I gotta hand it to you.

You made it through an entire post without once lobbying for an O-lineman.

:)