I worry we take a QB @ 8 just to placate fans

I understand that. But that doesn't mean the team would consider or is considering taking one just to placate the fans. That is what I was referring to.

It's not to placate the fans - it's to give yourself a freaking chance at getting to 9-7. Chance Warmack ain't gonna do that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I know. But this thread is about placating the fans. And the post you responded to of mine was about placating the fans. ;)

Fair enough! Of course, i think the whole premise of this thread is off. Whatever i think of nix, i don't think he's trying to placate fans.

It's not to placate the fans - it's to give yourself a freaking chance at getting to 9-7. Chance Warmack ain't gonna do that.

Heres the thing guys. And this especially shows this year. If you see the guy you think is a great fit and or a fellow you can develop to be that guy in short order ( a season on the bench ? ) dont you take him even if he is available in the second or heck third. I wont mention names.

Isn't the fit more important than the 1-10 or 1-15 impact pick. I understand statistics and percentages well enough.

But getting The guy , for the system you will want to run weigh heavy ? honest question.

jeez i love the draft

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

Anyone feel the same way?

PTR

You have this zany belief that this organization's historical failure is due to the fans. When your team is owned by an incompetent and out of touch owner you get what you get. Blaming the fans for the decisions the organization makes is not only foolish but also weird. Without a doubt you take being an apologist for this mediocre organization to another level. Simply odd, very odd.

You have this zany belief that this organization's historical failure is due to the fans. When your team is owned by an incompetent and out of touch owner you get what you get. Blaming the fans for the decisions the organization makes is not only foolish but also weird. Without a doubt you take being an apologist for this mediocre organization to another level. Simply odd, very odd.

Stockholm syndrome

+1.

My biggest fear is we pass on a franchise-caliber player at another position at 8 just to pick a QB so fans don't revolt. I don't think any QB this draft is going to be what we want in the long run, and we will still need another QB in 2 years.

PTR

Couldn't Agree more. I still think we are going to hear Ryan Nassib at #8. I pray not though!!!

As bad as they have been for 13 years....maybe they have been listening to the fans. Old saying is something like "When the GM starts making decisions based on what the fans want, he will be one soon." Fan revolt? How do the fans revolt exactly? Not going to the games? They still go except to the late December games. Only one of those this year. Even if attendance dropped to 20,000 per game or less they would just threaten to move the team. Fans have no say in much of anything.

When you panic in drafting a QB you get a Losman, Ponder or Gabbert. The Bills should have made the trade last year the Washington did. Now they have painted themselves in a corner. Buddy has stated on several occassions that they were going to draft a QB. Well Captain Obvious, I do believe every other GM in the NFL knew that. I still think 8 is too high for this QB class. It is, by all accounts, an average QB class. I share PTR's fear that we will be revisiting this issue in 2 years.

Edited by Nitro

So I have you on record as zero successful qbs in the draft?

I'll go on record that there are no pro bowl capable QBs. None worth a #8 pick. Probably one or two who could be a middling NFL starter, but we just cut a middling starter.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No, no no.

When you have a franchise QB, you can afford to go for best "value." When you dont, you have to find one at all costs.

And what is "value" anyway? BPA? Value according to Kiper? Most likely to not be out of the league in 3.5 years?

Value is a player who can help your team. Value at #8 is an impact player. When you dont have a QB there is no higher value. Period.

Funny didn't nix say that exact same thing about being able to go BPA when you have your QB already in place to the Tampa GM on the recorded call? Hummm....

I said earlier I would love to take Milliner and play Kolb but we want the quick fix AND the new quarterback. If we have the smootherting defense and could win a game 20-13 maybe you would have a chance - something like the Steelers - they win on defense 16-14 ...13-9...

You are talking pre Goddell NFL there bud. No way in hell do you get to a superbowl without a stud QB. And now even if you have one that isn't a guarantee, but it is a guarantee you have NO prayer without one

PTR

The question is not whether you think that any of the QBs have franchise potential......but whether the experts in the NFL think that any of the QBs have franchise potential. Nix from the Bills has stated he believes there are at least 3......so it's extremely unlikely that we will select a QB at 8 who isn't one of those franchise potential QBs.

Furthering to that, when you talk about "franchise-caliber player" you are talking percentage chances.....not definitive chances. You might have a more rational argument for your fear if the situation was that we have the #1 pick.....or even a top 3 pick. When picking at 8 however there really isn't that big of a drop-off in percentage chances that your draft pick will become an elite player compared to a bit later in the 1st round(15-25)......where I assume you would be more comfortable selecting a QB.

Edited by Dibs

Tough call. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tough one. I say keep drafting QB's til we get it right .... but then I think take Warmack (G) or Tavon (WR) (if he's still on board) or Eifert (TE) and then move up in first. Heck if they're all average, what does it matter if we get Nassib or Glennon. Would love to see Bills get EJ Manuel.

PLEASE ------ NOT BARKLEY !!!!!

I would agree with this logic if there were a no-brainer pick at 8 that we were passing up. Any of these QB's are a risk, but so is anyone that will be left. The OT's seem to be the only sure thing in this draft and possible Jordan. We don't need and OT and Jordan will be gone. With that, if we are gonna fail, let's fail with a QB and know that we tried

PTR

You spend to much time on a football board. I doubt if the majority of Bills fans will even recognize the name of the player they pick.