Zebrie Sanders at Guard?

Fredo G.

The most likely explanation is..........unlike many posters....the Bills are aware that the first game is in September.

I like debating who's good, who's not ?.....what moves should be made ?

But these complaints about the roster, IN MARCH, are laughable.

Don't be shocked if they take a blue chip T at 8 and move Glenn inside. That would be one HELLUVA left side. Shades of Upshaw and Shell.

GO BILLS!!!

Yesterday Eric Wood said "Glenn is great right where he is." I very much doubt we move him, and we have so many holes to fill, I doubt we pick an OL that high. Furthermore, in the Deadspin interview Buddy said "we're set at tackle." I doubt he was playing possum although it's possible.

Marrone was an OL in the NFL. We will sign one and plug him in.

I don't know, he seemed pretty darn good as a starting left tackle in his rookie season. Let 2013's rookie T work the inside at G.

I hear ya and I don't necessarily disagree but Fisher and Joeckel are already better tackles than Glenn. They are blue chip talents. And Glenn played very well at G against great SEC competition and would be better suited to step in and play with the least amount of adjustment. But there's a lot to be said for keeping Glenn at T.

GO BILLS!!!

Yesterday Eric Wood said "Glenn is great right where he is." I very much doubt we move him, and we have so many holes to fill, I doubt we pick an OL that high. Furthermore, in the Deadspin interview Buddy said "we're set at tackle." I doubt he was playing possum although it's possible.

I agree that Marrone will plug someone in. Besides, I doubt Joeckel or Fisher will be there anyway. And while Glenn is doing well, he's not as good as either at T but he's a better G then either.

I'd be surprised but not shocked if they went with BPA and it was one of the Ts.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. I also highly doubt they take a guard that high. I'm thinking 3rd round or lower for OL help in the draft.

Maybe Zebrie can kick in at G, but I have a feeling they'll pick up a journeyman G somewhere along the way.

Just my guess

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of talk and speculation about the Bills going guard at 8. While Warmack and Cooper are both steller

prospects, it's hard for me to rationalize us taking a guard this high. The man that's seemingly lost in the discussion is Zebrie Sanders. By the looks, he's rehabbing well and will be ready for otas and camp. People with insight, might he be a candidate to slide inside? Or is he better suited for the role of swing tackle? In my mind, and with the understanding he's raw and unproven, Sanders might give just us some draft flexibility.

Thoughts?

Lots of talk and speculation about the Bills going guard at 8. While Warmack and Cooper are both steller

prospects, it's hard for me to rationalize us taking a guard this high. The man that's seemingly lost in the discussion is Zebrie Sanders. By the looks, he's rehabbing well and will be ready for otas and camp. People with insight, might he be a candidate to slide inside? Or is he better suited for the role of swing tackle? In my mind, and with the understanding he's raw and unproven, Sanders might give just us some draft flexibility.

Thoughts?

Just to add to your question, I'd also like to hear people's thoughts on Hairston sliding into the LG position as well.

. Grades out extremely well in every aspect of run blocking. Pulling/Trapping - Outstanding blocking ability on the move. Would grade highly as an OG prospect as well. Agility is very good and power is excellent. Puts a lot of defenders on the ground. Stays low and uses excellent technique. Initial Quickness - Is usually very good in this area.

From CBS Sports analysis pre 2012 draft, so maybe.

I thought Sanders was quicker than he was strong. That made him an intriguing LT prospect. I would rather see Hairston win the RT spot and dominate there. I would have no problem taking Warmack or Cooper and having a dominant offensive line. Look at the 49ers - lot's of high draft picks in front of Koepernick.

It is common for college team's to put their best (OL) athletes at OT. Some of those might guys might not be good enough to stay at OT in the NFL (maybe not fast or quick enough), but are still better athletes than most of the OG-only candidates coming out of college. I expect both Hairston and Sanders to get a shot at the open OG spot.

Just to add to your question, I'd also like to hear people's thoughts on Hairston sliding into the LG position as well.

Both (Hairston and Sanders) are possibilities at OG...Buddy says he Drafts OT's that can move in to OG...So I don't see why not... B-)

I started a post less than a week ago asking why we didn't take chances on good, but not great, college Tackles and OLB'er, and move the tackles to Guard, and the OLB'ers/DE's to ILB for us. It seems like a good way to use later round picks on guys who could be used to a better advantage in the NFL.

I got the idea because of hearing so many "experts" talking about the tackle prospects after the top 5 in this draft maybe being better suited for guard. And, I was looking at the measurables - 40 times, weights - of OLB'er prospects and ILB prospects, and I noticed the OLB'ers rated like 10 and worse had comparable measurables to some of the top ILB'er prospects.

Hairston needs to stay where he is..swing tackle and pushing Pears for a spot...with injuries to glenn and Pears last year having a solid backup is very important

Don't be shocked if they take a blue chip T at 8 and move Glenn inside. That would be one HELLUVA left side. Shades of Upshaw and Shell.

GO BILLS!!!

Why would that do that when Glenn played so well at tackle? Makes no sense

Only position Glenn would move to is RT

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you! Glenn to me didn't show he is going to be a pro bowl LT. There are guys that will be available at #8 that will be immediate upgrades at LT. Move Glenn to Guard and from at least center to LT that is one hell of an OL.

Why would that do that when Glenn played so well at tackle? Makes no sense

Only position Glenn would move to is RT

He wasn't great at LT, where to people get this? Many were ripping him for a slow start etc. last year. The guy was good for part of the season at best, at no time was he some stud or beast at LT.

Thank you! Glenn to me didn't show he is going to be a pro bowl LT. There are guys that will be available at #8 that will be immediate upgrades at LT. Move Glenn to Guard and from at least center to LT that is one hell of an OL.

He wasn't great at LT, where to people get this? Many were ripping him for a slow start etc. last year. The guy was good for part of the season at best, at no time was he some stud or beast at LT.

I would have to ask where were you. Actually I remember almost everyone was applauding him at the beginning of the year. He was one of the few bright spots. Then he got hurt and he didn't play nearly as well the second time, although that could be attributed to a lingering high ankle sprain.

I would have to ask where were you. Actually I remember almost everyone was applauding him at the beginning of the year. He was one of the few bright spots. Then he got hurt and he didn't play nearly as well the second time, although that could be attributed to a lingering high ankle sprain.

I seem to recall reading a PFF article right before Glenn got hurt in which he graded out with them as the 4th best tackle in the entire League to that point....

Glenn played very well last year and proved he could play at this level at a key position.

I do not understand why you would gamble on kicking him inside for an unproven college prospect?

Not when you have so many other glaring holes. The Bills need an impact guy in the first, whether it be on D or O. By this i mean a playmaker.

Something to keep in mind. Andy Levitre wasn't extremely powerful.....nor was Ruben Brown. What they were was QUICK AND MOBILE. I think Sanders fits that bill.

Buuut.... We just let levitre go and have been going towards huge maulers.

I'd think we have a guy they are comfortable with putting between wood and Glenn already though, and if an upgrade lands in their laps so be it

Buuut.... We just let levitre go and have been going towards huge maulers.

I'd think we have a guy they are comfortable with putting between wood and Glenn already though, and if an upgrade lands in their laps so be it

The one thing we don't know is how going toward huge maulers, which was very true the last few years since Nix arrived, coincides with what Marrone and Hackett want in their OL, especially because they want to run an uptempo if not no huddle offense, where fat guys may get tired. Marrone also didn't seem to want Joe D as the OL coach, even though he seemed to be one of the only bright spots on Chan's staff.

The one thing we don't know is how going toward huge maulers, which was very true the last few years since Nix arrived, coincides with what Marrone and Hackett want in their OL, especially because they want to run an uptempo if not no huddle offense, where fat guys may get tired. Marrone also didn't seem to want Joe D as the OL coach, even though he seemed to be one of the only bright spots on Chan's staff.

It's true. We did sign urbik and let levitre walk though. Could be just money lining up, could be a sign.

Marrones uptempo guards in NO were 320 and 350 lbs

Might not hold true, but there are a few reasons to suspect it

Edited by NoSaint

Sanders might give just us some draft flexibility.

Thoughts?

Completely agree. I think the Bills will talent in later rounds should an OL fall, or grab a player with high upside.

I also keep hearing the "Kaep had 1st round OLineman" argument. While this does have merit, and protecting a rookie QB is a must, one has to realize that Kaepernick also had a great supporting cast of running backs, TEs and WRs. I would rather take BPA at those high impact positions than at OL in early rounds at this time.

It's true. We did sign urbik and let levitre walk though. Could be just money lining up, could be a sign.

Marrones uptempo guards in NO were 320 and 350 lbs

Might not hold true, but there are a few reasons to suspect it

Well Marrone wouldn't have had any personnel clout on the Saints, and it's not as though they ran a no huddle offense regardless of how much they liked to pass. Add the fact that the first two years they ran a certain offense at Cuse, and then completelt revamped it to the up tempo/no huddle and it soon took off. So he really has only ran this offense one season, and I'm certain that he and Hackett are tweaking it again.

Cooper is supposed to be a monster of a man with the feet of a fullback - from what I've seen he's got the ability to get to the second level and really create BIG blocks. He'd be ideal for the type of offense Hackett and Marrone have in mind. I don't think anyone can really argue the value of a Guard at 8 if he ends up being a 4 or 5 time pro-bowler before his first contract is up. It makes as much sense as a Safety.

The talent in this draft and the new coaching staff's penchant for silence has really left me almost absolutely unsure what will happen come draft day.

On another note - there is still the Guard from the Jets who was solid right up till his contract expired - Moore? - who has played for Marrone, I believe. That's a possibility, still, too - and I would guess a rather strong one.

Cooper is supposed to be a monster of a man with the feet of a fullback - from what I've seen he's got the ability to get to the second level and really create BIG blocks. He'd be ideal for the type of offense Hackett and Marrone have in mind. I don't think anyone can really argue the value of a Guard at 8 if he ends up being a 4 or 5 time pro-bowler before his first contract is up. It makes as much sense as a Safety.

The talent in this draft and the new coaching staff's penchant for silence has really left me almost absolutely unsure what will happen come draft day.

On another note - there is still the Guard from the Jets who was solid right up till his contract expired - Moore? - who has played for Marrone, I believe. That's a possibility, still, too - and I would guess a rather strong one.

Brandon Moore is still available yes, and Marrone is credited with making him into an OG after he was a DL. Moore has visited a few teams and reportedly is looking for 3-4 mil a year and wants to play on a contender but no one is willing to pay him what he wants. I have wanted him all along and it's definitely a possibility but it may not be likely.

Well Marrone wouldn't have had any personnel clout on the Saints, and it's not as though they ran a no huddle offense regardless of how much they liked to pass. Add the fact that the first two years they ran a certain offense at Cuse, and then completelt revamped it to the up tempo/no huddle and it soon took off. So he really has only ran this offense one season, and I'm certain that he and Hackett are tweaking it again.

I get it. I've been one of the most adamant about holding off on assumptions about scheme with both sides of the ball. I was simply pointing out to someone that used Ruben brown and levitre as reference point for where we are going that it could easily go other directions.

I haven't seen a ton of cuse snaps so I don't have any input there but the saints are definitely an uptempo offense, not just a team that likes to pass. I'd also say that marrone wasn't head honcho on personnel decisions but if he wasnt a respected member of the conversation he wouldn't have been a coordinator. That doesn't mean everything that happened is on his résumé (good or bad) but its fair that would be worth pointing at as a possible direction we could go. We have a GM that seems to like big guys inside, a coach that has some on his résumé, and this offseason we kept the big one and let the smaller walk (obviously that last part is waaaaaay oversimplified but I don't want to type the whole story).

We will see where it goes. I don't think Ruben has any spot in the discussion though, as the post I was replying to referenced.

Brandon Moore is still available yes, and Marrone is credited with making him into an OG after he was a DL. Moore has visited a few teams and reportedly is looking for 3-4 mil a year and wants to play on a contender but no one is willing to pay him what he wants. I have wanted him all along and it's definitely a possibility but it may not be likely.

I still think it happens. Surprised it hasn't yet, really. I'd be curious to hear the behind the scenes here.

GO BILLS!!!

If Glenn gets moved inside, he is the next Buffalo Bill to get enshrined in the Hall of Fame. He would be that good at guard. I think Sanders has the potential to be a very good starter.