Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Mike Mayock said Robert Ayers was the best defensive player in his draft. Ayers barely started in college. You don't get noticed by being level headed in today's world. You need to be Skip Bayless or yell about how the left/ right is destroying America.

I'll provide the link for you, and Ayers wasn't ranked as the best prospect in the 2009 draft. He was third according to Mayock:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12230256

If the standard is perfection, then every single draftnik falls drastically short. But it should not diminish the reputation of Mayock, who remains the best in a sea of mediocrity. I don't know who Russ Lande is, but it'd be helpful if there was some context and included his previous prognostications.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to his bio, Russ Lande (the author of the article) used to be scout for the Rams and Browns.

Surprisingly, there's not another QB on his list of top prospects until Tyler Wilson at #33.

If his evaluation of Nassib is any indication of his skill at evaluating players that is a very good reason why he "used to be (a) scout".

I'll provide the link for you, and Ayers wasn't ranked as the best prospect in the 2009 draft. He was third according to Mayock:

http://www.denverpos...cos/ci_12230256

If the standard is perfection, then every single draftnik falls drastically short. But it should not diminish the reputation of Mayock, who remains the best in a sea of mediocrity. I don't know who Russ Lande is, but it'd be helpful if there was some context and included his previous prognostications.

C.Biscuit said- correctly- that Mayock called Ayers the best defensive player in the draft.

While you may not agree with him, I can't understand how his February player rankings lose him any credibility.

It's just his opinion, and if he thinks Nassib is the best QB in this draft, he may be ranking him #1 based on the positional value. It's not totally outlandish...do I agree with it? Heck no, but I also wouldn't have ranked Russell Wilson among the top 5 players in last year's draft, and he sure looks like it now...

I get that he really believes in Ryan Nassib. But he's completely "off the grid" in comparison with every other known draft blogs and media. I've been following the draft since forever and I've never seen anything like this.

Ryan Nassib brings nothing special to the table. Yes he's pretty good at a lot of things, but he doesn't have anything that you can point at to argue he will be an NFL star. The closest thing this reminds me of is when Mike Mayock went koo koo crazy for Blaine Gabbert. I think these guys get in love with someone and feel desperate to be the only one who saw greatness. Mayock is still trying to recover from the Gabbert fail.

Edited by 1billsfan

http://www.denverpos...cos/ci_12230256

From your article:

"Robert Ayers is the best defensive player coming out of this draft," Mayock said. "You can get creative with Ayers. He brings your scheme versatility on defense. . . . I think he's a special player."

He had him the 3rd ranked overall player behind Eugene Monroe and Moreno (who has done nothing). I like Mayock a lot but the difference between media "experts" and NFL GMs is they don't get fired for their mistakes.

From your article:

"Robert Ayers is the best defensive player coming out of this draft," Mayock said. "You can get creative with Ayers. He brings your scheme versatility on defense. . . . I think he's a special player."

He had him the 3rd ranked overall player behind Eugene Monroe and Moreno (who has done nothing). I like Mayock a lot but the difference between media "experts" and NFL GMs is they don't get fired for their mistakes.

Funny thing is, if the experts were actual experts (as in, they hold some secret key to draft prognostications) NFL teams would be outbidding the TV networks for their services.

C.Biscuit said- correctly- that Mayock called Ayers the best defensive player in the draft.

I stand corrected on where Mayock ranked Ayers.

Anyone with enough bad opinions gets fired, whether it's NFL GM's or draftniks. And if they're not fired, their credibility is hampered as in the case of McShay, who I've seen isn't well received in NFL scouting circles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/todd-mcshay-backlash-builds/

Ryan Nassib the top QB prospect seems to be a ploy for people to check out his website and/or to stir the melting pot.

However, I could be wrong.

Examples of me being wrong in 2012:

1) I thought the Bills would go to the playoffs

2) I thought the Dave Wannstedt to DC was a good idea EDIT: pre-combine 2012

3) I thought Ralph drove a Taurus

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I stand corrected on where Mayock ranked Ayers.

Anyone with enough bad opinions gets fired, whether it's NFL GM's or draftniks. And if they're not fired, their credibility is hampered as in the case of McShay, who I've seen isn't well received in NFL scouting circles.

http://profootballta...acklash-builds/

Wait, McShay isn't well received because he didn't think highly of Clausen and McCoy?

As for guessing the draft picks, he does a better job than Mayock.

Ryan Nassib will be our starting QB, we hired most of the staff from Syracuse offense. Some General Managers have this guy real high on there board. The only way we dont take this guy is if a team takes him before us. But if he is there , there is no way we DONT take him. Its the same scenario as the Miami Dolphins last year. So stop with all these predictions and mocks of who our 8th pick will be. It will be RYAN NASSIB! That is all

I don't want to be that guy, but there are at least 2 or more Nassib topics started today...all about the same thing you posted on

If you click your heels together, sing "O Holy Night" and cross your fingers, Beerball will show up and close this thread within fifteen minutes.

Wait, McShay isn't well received because he didn't think highly of Clausen and McCoy?

As for guessing the draft picks, he does a better job than Mayock.

Guessing what player teams will select versus determining who are the better players remains two different subjects. If I want the best assessment of talent, Mayock is the guy.