''Rocketship 7'' newspaper article

Great read to begin this day! I need to seek out Dave Thomas in Philly

Great read indeed! I can't believe that Dave Thomas is 77! Great memories...

Hey, I'm right here! Glad to be out of storage.

PTR

Haha :D

First AJ, now Ann. Who's next? Bob Lamb?

Although I don't remember the theme song I always watched Rocketship 7 and Commander Tom. It was funny that the show lasted till 1978, I can't remember when I started getting too old for it.

I remember the call in game where the lucky caller had to pick a planet, behind the planet was the prize for the caller. As I recall, most of the prizes were lame gift certificates but every once in a while there would be a bike or cool prize. Once I remember a girl got to be the lucky caller, she picked her planet and got a boys gift,(like a race set or something), Captain Dave was trying to ask if she had a brother or something, and she hung up.

On sick days I would get to stay home and watch Nolan Johanes on "Dialing for Dollars", also a classic!

Ok everybody:

10...9....8...7...ingintion sequence start, engines on....5....4...3...2...1...liftoff, we have liftoff!! Cue the theme song.

One of the highlights of my early life was meeting and getting Promos autograph at some WNY home show 45 plus years ago.

I sat in the audience for a show at WKBW. Rocketship 7 set on one side, and Dialing for Dollars on the other. I spilled my orange pop on my corduroy pants.

Dave and Promo visited my grade school and they supplied orange pop (and pizza) for everyone. Must have been a major sponsor of the show.

loved that show. can't help but compare it to kid's shows today. we need more commander toms. i still remember a few lines from from davy and goliath too: "what about the man with the polka dot pants" and "gee davy, god doesn't love dogs" or something like that. don't know what strangeness makes me remember those though.

loved that show. can't help but compare it to kid's shows today. we need more commander toms. i still remember a few lines from from davy and goliath too: "what about the man with the polka dot pants" and "gee davy, god doesn't love dogs" or something like that. don't know what strangeness makes me remember those though.

Yeah! The good ole days when our kid's entertainment was brought to you by guys tripping on acid. :thumbsup:

Although I don't remember the theme song I always watched Rocketship 7 and Commander Tom. It was funny that the show lasted till 1978, I can't remember when I started getting too old for it.

I remember the call in game where the lucky caller had to pick a planet, behind the planet was the prize for the caller. As I recall, most of the prizes were lame gift certificates but every once in a while there would be a bike or cool prize. Once I remember a girl got to be the lucky caller, she picked her planet and got a boys gift,(like a race set or something), Captain Dave was trying to ask if she had a brother or something, and she hung up.

On sick days I would get to stay home and watch Nolan Johanes on "Dialing for Dollars", also a classic!

1977?

And then there was Bowling for Dollars. My dad was on it once. He did really bad. I think he won $4 or something. We asked what he did with the money (to us little kids $4 was a lot) he said he went to the bar next door and had a beer. :huh: <-------- the looks on our faces.

I remember the call in game where the lucky caller had to pick a planet, behind the planet was the prize for the caller. As I recall, most of the prizes were lame gift certificates but every once in a while there would be a bike or cool prize.

So...what was behind Uranus???

I was actually on rocket ship 7 once, I was a space cadet, for reals (I was like 4 so don't remember why or anything much about it really). Did you know Commander Tom made all those puppets on his show? I also remember at some point he was outted or something too, wasn't he?

And then there was Bowling for Dollars. My dad was on it once. He did really bad. I think he won $4 or something. We asked what he did with the money (to us little kids $4 was a lot) he said he went to the bar next door and had a beer. :huh: <-------- the looks on our faces.

My grandfather was on Bowling for Dollars once, too. And won $4....

...wait...Uncle Jim? :huh:

Wow, I haven't thought of Rocketship 7 in years! I remember during one of the closings of the show, the Promo costume toppled (sans the guy inside) over as the stage lights went dim and I thought Promo was a goner. Commander Tom was great too! Pretty sure I watched that into the early 80s and he always had those "words to live by" promos going into commercials. "Commander Tom says, the Three Stooges are fun to watch, but don't act like them."

Buffalo had no shortage of locally produced bowling shows: Beat the Champ, Bowling for Dollars and Strikes Spares and Misses. No wonder so many PBA bowlers are from the southtowns!

I remember this animated short used to play during the show

http://youtu.be/lB3fi7opDBc

its now been three days, seven hours, and thirty two minutes since ive watched this video

i have now replayed that song in my head nine thousand, four hundred, and fifty seven times. it has taken up residence in my brain and i cant get it out. im getting automatic replays of both the intro theme song, of which i already knew every word without even remembering that i knew it, plus the subject song which apparently also struck some kind of nerve from my childhood psyche

i have now taken to shoving things in my ears to try in vain to stop the endless loop this is on. i started with soft things like cotton and toilet paper, moved on to rubber foam ear plugs, and now ive just started jamming drill bits in there. oh dont worry, i didnt attach the drill bits to an actualy drill, im saving that for later this afternoon

i dont have long now. in my final moments please for the love of all thats holy, do NOT watch that video. remember me