Nix not close on re-signing anyone.

Jdragon2

I think they just want to see the coaches systems in action before they sign anyone. Both Marrone and Pettine are going to install systems that our current players may excel in or fall flat. These systems are likely going to mature and be tweaked as the season progresses. It would suck to sign any high-priced players only to later find out that they don't completely fit the system you've set up. I think next season the Bills will have a better idea exactly what type of player they want. Besides, any player signed this year is a year wasted because the Bills certainly aren't going anywhere this season, especially with a rookie QB. It'll be better to add players when the Bills are ready to actually compete.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember back when people were bitching up a storm about Buddy being too open? Guess that day is over and now we're bitching about the Bills not saying enough.

There really need to be some sort of calender so I can keep up with what we're bitching about currently.

We jumped on arguably the two best pass rushers possible in last years free agency in the first 48 hours... what was our record? All it did was re affirm to our front office big spending isn't the way to go and honestly it isnt.

If I were our GM I would be doing the same thing. Sorry folks I would. My #1 priority would be QB and that is what our guys seemed focused on. Get the draft over with and let the FA's out there realize their huge paydays aren't going to happen and sign a couple during the summer.

Also in our scheme which seems to be emphasizing the 3-4 more I would try to move Mario Williams and his stupid contract and place our 2nd available June 1st designation on him. Too much money, too little production and he didn't flourish in a 3-4 in Houston.

This seems very short-sighted. By far our best player against the run as well as our best pass rusher. This despite not being 100% until after the bye. And while I'd be the LAST person to say that sacks are the most telling stat, especially for a strongside DE, he did have 5 sacks in 5 games in Wade's 34 in Houston. That's isn't exactly "not flourishing."

GO BILLS!!!

We are going to enter the Johnny Football sweepstakes. I am okay with 0-16 & drafting Manziel. At least its a plan.

Sadly if the Bills are the first pick in the draft next year the pick is not Maziel. Sucks for us but it's the truth

Obviously, but we have an offensive player who--WHEN USED CORRECTLY--can score whenever the ball is in his hands.

You're assuming that Bills will be lining up against Pop warner teams and not NFL defenses.

As of now, I see only Jags as in worse shape, maybe Cardinals (but Arians familiarity with Stanton helps). Otherwise every other team has a nominal starting QB and the coaches are implementing the game plans with the incumbents.

Bills don't have a starting QB, only one NFL ready WR and no TEs. Bills will be asking the offense to get the new system in less than two months of training camp with brand new/inexperienced guys at key positions lead by a rookie coach and a very young supporting cast.

Yeah, what can go wrong?

You're assuming that Bills will be lining up against Pop warner teams and not NFL defenses.

As of now, I see only Jags as in worse shape, maybe Cardinals (but Arians familiarity with Stanton helps). Otherwise every other team has a nominal starting QB and the coaches are implementing the game plans with the incumbents.

Bills don't have a starting QB, only one NFL ready WR and no TEs. Bills will be asking the offense to get the new system in less than two months of training camp with brand new/inexperienced guys at key positions lead by a rookie coach and a very young supporting cast.

Yeah, what can go wrong?

Now now. This is the off-season remember. The time of year when Bills fans can revel, if they so choose, in the fact that THIS is finally the year when things turn around due to new coaching, new players, or whatever has changed from the last season that was obviously the cause of all of the problems.

You know, much like the last 13 off-seasons ;)

I still see Nix's remaining for the 2013 draft as part of Brandon's overall plan. It's not something some can wrap their arms around, but Nix will be the scapegoat when things inevitably aren't good this year...Nix does more for Brandon hanging around than he would be gone.

I never thought about it that way, but knowing Brandon's ego and the Bill's history, I think you are definitely on to something here. The perfect scapegoat for the FO to continue to spend as little as possible, without looking too cheap. Offer a substandard product and then when the Bills yet again do not field a competitive product, they can still continue to blame the old guard, and Nix.

When the fans turn ugly at yet another wasted year, the FO can blame "old" Nix, and the fans will eat it up. The rabid Bill's fans will satisfy themselves gorging on Nix's carcass when he is when sacrificed and tossed to the angry crowd. And Brandon can smugly sit back counting the Bill's fan's dollars from another extra profitable year. It buys them another year of excuses and gives them time to concoct a new excuse for next years failure to spend enough to actually field a team that is truly competitive in today's NFL.

You have to admit it is a brilliant plan, they have had a lot of years learning how to play the fans in WNY. Maybe that new analytics office is actually doing research on the fans, and not the players, learning enough about them to better manipulate and play them, lol.

When the fans turn ugly at yet another wasted year, the FO can blame "old" Nix, and the fans will eat it up. The rabid Bill's fans will satisfy themselves gorging on Nix's carcass when he is when sacrificed and tossed to the angry crowd. And Brandon can smugly sit back counting the Bill's fan's dollars from another extra profitable year. It buys them another year of excuses and gives them time to concoct a new excuse for next years failure to spend enough to actually field a team that is truly competitive in today's NFL.

This isn't happening. This is something a small group of you have imagined in your head that you guys 'see the truth' and all these 'kool-aid drinkers' will believe anything. The prevailing, dominant opinion is a more rational thought that the Bills aren't good and won't be good. It is time for you all to get on board and face reality. You're not some seer. You're not seeing something that no one else is seeing.

Let me re-iterate, you're delusional and keep pushing this agenda that there is this wave of Bills fans who see them going to the Super Bowl. It doesn't exist. The reaction you see to you folks is that we're tired on what amounts to a four year old throwing a tantrum in wal-mart.

YOU BELIEVE IN THE DRAFT OVER FREE AGENCY PRIMARILY, RIGHT?

“Absolutely. But you have to plug holes in free agency, and that’ll continue for the rest of the spring. There’ll be guys available and there’ll be guys that’ll fit, and we’ll plug them in.”

yes but i want them signed NOW. and if you dont sign them NOW i will be so done with this incompetent team FOREVER

... until you do sign someone later then ill pretend like i said none of this and be sitting in front of my tv with my kelly jersey and whammie weenie

But do seasons of 2-5 wins really affect the franchise that negatively if you can promise hype and hope later? 2001 and 2010 were the first years of a rebuilding and everyone knew it. Didn't keep the fans from coming. And when it's clear a rebuilding plan didn't work, like by mid-season 2012, you reinvent yourself with a new HC, hype the GM in waiting, move some deck chairs around and just like that you're new.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think casual fans happy to have a team just like having something new to point to. Brandon's delivering, and if that doesn't work, well, they can do something like get a QB.

Ask Mike Mularkey, late of Jacksonville, about how taking over a really bad team and then bottoming out helped his coaching career. It is never in a coach or GM's interest to bottom out.

Edited by dave mcbride

I never thought about it that way, but knowing Brandon's ego and the Bill's history, I think you are definitely on to something here. The perfect scapegoat for the FO to continue to spend as little as possible, without looking too cheap. Offer a substandard product and then when the Bills yet again do not field a competitive product, they can still continue to blame the old guard, and Nix.

You have to admit it is a brilliant plan, they have had a lot of years learning how to play the fans in WNY. Maybe that new analytics office is actually doing research on the fans, and not the players, learning enough about them to better manipulate and play them, lol.

While I can see Nix being the scapegoat next year much like Gailey is this year (and well earned I might add), the thought that this is a premeditated plan hatched by Brandon in order to keep the payroll down is a bit of a stretch, even for TBD :)

No big conspiracy, the Bills just have sucked for 13 years and counting.

We jumped on arguably the two best pass rushers possible in last years free agency in the first 48 hours... what was our record? All it did was re affirm to our front office big spending isn't the way to go and honestly it isnt.

If I were our GM I would be doing the same thing. Sorry folks I would. My #1 priority would be QB and that is what our guys seemed focused on. Get the draft over with and let the FA's out there realize their huge paydays aren't going to happen and sign a couple during the summer.

Also in our scheme which seems to be emphasizing the 3-4 more I would try to move Mario Williams and his stupid contract and place our 2nd available June 1st designation on him. Too much money, too little production and he didn't flourish in a 3-4 in Houston.

Not to nit pick but we didnt sign anderson until 11 days in FA

As to your second point. That would be the ultimate dumb move by the Bills. He was damn near dominant when his wrist was finally healthy and finsihed the year with 10.5 sacks. If he had been healthy all year it could have been closer to 16. Williams would be out of work for about 15 mins and he did just fine in a 3-4 in Houston. He had 5 sacks in 5 games.

Conspiracy theories are fun

So, Corey Mac and Kyle Moore are the keys to making a SB run? This must be the first experience with a coaching change for some. Marrone is gonna run things his way and if certain players aren't part of that plan, so be it.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh so you think Marrone is thrilled with/ behind this?

I think he's looking at this roster and sh#tting his pants.

We've got the current FA period and the draft. Why is anyone worried about re-signing players currently on the roster? Let's fill some holes first.

Agreed. Any current players on our team are lucky to be here and no other team would want them, so they're not going anywhere. Lets sign other players who don't know how horrible we are first.

The real issue is that we are witnessing a very poor GM in action. His rationale for not drafting a QB was that there not one good enough when the Bills pick came. Passing on Jimmy Clausen made him look good. Well he use the same rationale over the last two drafts in which we passed on many very capable QB's. Which made me realize maybe he doesn't quite have a handle on things.

Now this free agency period... and nothing. I can see not splurging the first week but nothing?? Not sure if he recognizes that we have holes to fill. Nix is a poor GM with a likable personality and he gives a good sound bite. His approach to the off season is that of a coach that has just finished a 12-4 campaign and not a 6-10. His choices have not been very good so I can help but have a wait and see attitude regarding are new HC, a Nix appointee.

Edited by VADC Bills

Ask Mike Mularkey, late of Jacksonville, about how taking over a really bad team and then bottoming out helped his coaching career. It is never in a coach or GM's interest to bottom out.

Completely different scenario in Jacksonville. New GM came in and fired the previous (and failed) GM's HC hired the year before. New GM's typically want their own HC and aren't going to wait around for someone else's guy to succeed or fail. They act now because their rep is on the line.

And then there's Buffalo, who do everything in their power not to ensure substantive change takes place. Sure, they'll fire a HC or get rid of a college scouting director who served 4 GM's, but they'll never blow up the operation. They never hire anyone from outside the organization, like Jacksonville did straight to the GM job. And right now no team in the NFL needs a fresh set of eyes on the franchise more than Buffalo. No one.

Nix is gone after the draft. There's been speculation aplenty, I myself have considered the possibility.

I'm now convinced it's a certainty. Mark it, save the link to this post. I am 100% convinced the job is Whaley's beginning April 29, May 1 at the latest.