Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

What were the other options?

I'd rather they did nothing then did this. Just draft a QB (or 2) and move on. This reeks of desperation.

NIx officially went dumpster diving.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, to be honest I was ready to bust every blood vessel in my body last night when I heard. But as the morning comes, and I've had the chance to sleep on things a little I have to say that it's not a bad move. Granted, I *want* a rookie to come in and surprise us all, and win the starting job but in the end I think Kolb may be a better QB than Fitz and we're getting him for less money...a lot less money. The phrase "$13M maximum" and the phrasing that was in the contract Fitz got offered makes me think that it's incentive driven.

If the Bills don't see a rookie they like, oh well, there's next year. Kolb somehow becomes the next Drew Brees Kurt Warner, a journeyman who bounced around as a backup before slowly earning his stripes as the starter, we have him for one more year at a ridiculously reasonable contract. If the Bills find a guy they like, but want to give him a year or two to develop, same thing. If the rookie knocks us off our feet, he's in an affordable contract for a backup and we can let him hit the open market, or let him see what the value is for a 29 year old who wasn't started in two years.

In the end, we no longer have to consider trading valuable picks to get Geno Smith at 8. We don't have to talk about trading Flynn from the 'Hawks. We can feel comfortable waiting for round 2 or 3 to pick a developmental QB, or even skipping QB completely if they think that Kolb, a WCO QB, is great in the system. Hey, I'm willing to let myself be completely surprised.

Edit: Ok, I've been shown that my original comparison is wrong, and have substituted a much better one. Let's move on.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

ON EASTER!!!!!!!!! Can't you wait to screw up the day after? Today is suppose to fun and family filled. But oh no , not the Bills, they got to find a way to screw up everything. Mother %%%%%%%^%#*#%#*^#*#*#^#%@$%@(#(@%^@%#^*@(@(%^^#*@(@)(#*&^#$@(@((#@*#^@&*@((@*#^!%@!$%^&*(.

What were the other options?

Matt Moore?

http://www.spotrac.c...ins/matt-moore/

As you can see, he cost a lot less, especially in year one, or at least so it seems. I have no idea which one is better either because I haven't seen enough of them.

Wrt Kolb, his highlight video is interesting. He was getting the snot beat out of him even on plays that were successful. The Cards OL, from what I saw, looked about as bad as the Bills "Ostroski" OL, which is saying a lot.

Kolb has a stronger arm than Fitz in terms of not having to step into throws as much. In other words, if Graham can get open, Kolb can get him the football.

I like the signing as a stop gap measure. Kolb has more upside than Fitz (imo), and this does give the Bills more flexibility in the draft. Teams will move up for a LT. Or, the Bills could draft one if they think he is a star, and this is only one option. Look at the situation at TE. Chandler's health is a mystery and this draft appears to be very deep at that position. They could probably trade down and get a very good one, and more picks.

Now, let's just hope that Nix doesn't draft Milliner, or some other corner in round 1.

In all, it was a sound move imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

OK, to be honest I was ready to bust every blood vessel in my body last night when I heard. But as the morning comes, and I've had the chance to sleep on things a little I have to say that it's not a bad move. Granted, I *want* a rookie to come in and surprise us all, and win the starting job but in the end I think Kolb may be a better QB than Fitz and we're getting him for less money...a lot less money. The phrase "$13M maximum" and the phrasing that was in the contract Fitz got offered makes me think that it's incentive driven.

If the Bills don't see a rookie they like, oh well, there's next year. Kolb somehow becomes the next Drew Brees, a journeyman who bounced around as a backup before slowly earning his stripes as the starter, we have him for one more year at a ridiculously reasonable contract. If the Bills find a guy they like, but want to give him a year or two to develop, same thing. If the rookie knocks us off our feet, he's in an affordable contract for a backup and we can let him hit the open market, or let him see what the value is for a 29 year old who wasn't started in two years.

In the end, we no longer have to consider trading valuable picks to get Geno Smith at 8. We don't have to talk about trading Flynn from the 'Hawks. We can feel comfortable waiting for round 2 or 3 to pick a developmental QB, or even skipping QB completely if they think that Kolb, a WCO QB, is great in the system. Hey, I'm willing to let myself be completely surprised.

Drew Brees? Was the starter in his second season in SD before moving to the Saints to be their starter and lead them to a Super Bowl win and has been arguably one of the top 5 QB's in the league during the course of his career. Hardly a journeyman who has bounced around. You sure you didn't mean someone else?

Edited by dhg

Matt Moore has always been a better QB than Kolb. I can't see why the Bills didn't go after him. He would have had the chance to start in Buffalo where he doesn't in Miami.

I don't know if Moore has had any experience playing a WCO. I would rather have Arizona's castoffs than Miami's anyways...

Drew Brees? Was the starter in his second season in SD before moving to the Saints to be their starter and lead them to a Super Bowl win and has been arguably one of the top 5 QB's in the league during the course of his career. Hardly a journeyman who has bounced around. You sure you didn't mean someone else?

Well, that's what you get for skimming the Wikipedia article...entirely my bad. I'm sure there's someone who bounced around for a while before getting really, really good.

Still, I think Kolb fits Hackett's system much better than Fitz, has the arm for Buffalo weather that Fitz doesn't and is taking the money Fitz wouldn't. I'm willing to be proven wrong about the guy, especially if we're sticking with a run first system which takes pressure off the guy, and with an offensive line which (hopefully) doesn't give up 58 sacks a year.

Signing Kolb is a good move for the Bills as long as:

1. The Bills front office doesn't view Kolb as the long term solution

2. The Bills front office drafts the top QB prospect with their 8th pick (if 2 QBs aren't already off the board)

3. The Bills front office takes the best QB on the board with their second round pick if they don't take a QB in first round

I have read some posts comparing Kolb to Brees at similar points of their early careers. Even if this proves to be true, San Diego was still smart enough to take a QB number 1 overall (Eli Manning) and ultimately trade him to get Rivers and a bunch of picks from NYG.

So at the end of the day, signing Kolb could be a great move to help solidify the QB position in many ways. However, we will have to trust the Bills front office to do the right thing with the position during this year's, and possibly next year's draft.

Unfortunately for us Bills fans, the Bills front office has given us no reason to place trust in them for the past 13 years. Maybe this is the front office that gets it right.

kolb is one of the few qb signings that would make sense

bills have obviously gone all in on a rookie pick at qb. they will give that pick every chance to start. already got their veteran backup/emergency starter in tjax. now the only advantageous add is a young disappointment that still has a chance to rebound. kolb appears to be that guy

Good post meat. I'm not a Kolb fan, but the scenario you describe makes sense.

What this move means is that OBD does not believe there will be a franchise QB available in this draft. Although I have zero faith in our FO, this seems to be an opinion shared by other teams as well, such as KC. That being the case, it seems to be a solid, low-risk move. I would liken Kolb to Alex Smith, who cost KC a pretty penny and probably does not have much greater upside than Kolb. I don't see how anyone can be very upset with this move; at this point we do not know how much guaranteed money is in the contract. At any rate, it's not your money, it's RW's , so just relax.

What this move means is that OBD does not believe there will be a franchise QB available in this draft. Although I have zero faith in our FO, this seems to be an opinion shared by other teams as well, such as KC. That being the case, it seems to be a solid, low-risk move. I would liken Kolb to Alex Smith, who cost KC a pretty penny and probably does not have much greater upside than Kolb. I don't see how anyone can be very upset with this move; at this point we do not know how much guaranteed money is in the contract. At any rate, it's not your money, it's RW's , so just relax.

Incorrect.

What this move means is that OBD has several QBs rated similarly that they're targeting at #41, and this move allows them to wait to see which one of them falls to them instead of overdrafting one of them at #8.

Kolb like Alex Smith? Watch much football? Alex Smith was the number 3 rated QB at the end of last year. Kolb couldn't hold a candle to Smith on his best day. ROFL comparing the two.

I like several people ran down the hall with my hair on fire, but agree with a bunch of you. As long as we get EJ Manuel at #8 as geno smith will be gone. I can see Manuel at some point in the season getting his shot using in the read option package. Our line is better than Arizona, and one of the rasons Spiller had so many really big runs. I'd love an athletic QB who could work in tandem with spiller.

Kolb should play better than in Arizona as he'll have a little more time, and a much better run game. As the previous guy just posted, Kolb is a stop gap to help a rookie.

I don't think it means that at all. Buddy recently said he believes there are a couple of QBs in this draft who will be productive starters. The Bills, however, were in the precarious position of literally having nobody you could trust play QB in an actual game outside of TJax (which, by itself, is hardly comforting). By acquiring Kolb they still have the opportunity to grab the young QB they like, and in the process obtained a relatively young veteran who was once seen as having great potential. The QB situation just became a lot more stable, even if it isn't going to "wow" the fan base or outsiders.

Edited by eball