Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

I think it is a good signing. Kolb is better than Flynn or A. Smith. I hope the Bills don't waste their #1 pick on a QB in this year's draft. None of the QB's in this year's draft are much better than a JP Losman. Next year there will be several good choices for a franchise QB.

He is?? I'm not convinced he's even better than Fitz. He's hardly played at all in this league. How is he better than A Smith?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a positive note Kolb did win as starting QB in Gillette last year. Thats impressive even though NE botched a kick to win at the end. I agree no need to spend a R1 pick on a QB this year. I'd gamble on WR Patterson who looks a bit like Larry Fitzgerald. Whether he can catch like him is another matter. Still a good chance for Johnny Football in R1 next year.

I think what we're seeing here is that they are not liking any of this year's QB's and are going to draft other positions and hang in with stop-gaps for 2013.

I don't think so...IF this signing says anything about the Bills Draft strategy...and that's a BIG if...I think maybe they realize that most of these QB prospects are not plug-and-play types...Perhaps it says that the QB the Bills like best is going to be more of a project, like EJ Manuel for example...The Kolb signing gives the Bills insurance and better depth at the QB position...That's all...If the Bills don't understand that the most important position on the field deserves laser focus by now...well...Then there is truly no hope for this Franchise...And by signing Kolb, and Drafting a QB in the first few Rounds, I think the Bills are finally proving to all of us they get it...

I still think it's a possibility the Bills take a QB at #8...Especially if Geno is available...I think this signing gives them some flexibility to trade down if they wish, get and extra pick or two, and still take a QB in the 1st like Manuel...If not, I still think they take a QB by no later than the 3rd Round...We'll see though...Going into the 2013 season with Kolb as the clear cut starting QB, with no Rookie to develop behind him, would prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that Buddy and the rest of them are completely inept...But maybe that's just me... B-)

I would still argue that Warner was a journeyman. After his great Superbowl year he slumped and was cut, went to the Giants and lost out on the job to Eli manning, went to the Cardinals, lost out on the job to Matt Leinhart, and then led them to the playoffs in '08 and the Superbowl in '09. If that doesn't speak to being a journeyman, I don't know what does.

Couldn't you hae said the same about Johnny Unitas? Hall of fame QB and some argue the greatest of his era if not all time.

I don't think so...IF this signing says anything about the Bills Draft strategy...and that's a BIG if...I think maybe they realize that most of these QB prospects are not plug-and-play types...Perhaps it says that the QB the Bills like best is going to be more of a project, like EJ Manuel for example...The Kolb signing gives the Bills insurance and better depth at the QB position...That's all...If the Bills don't understand that the most important position on the field deserves laser focus by now...well...Then there is truly no hope for this Franchise...And by signing Kolb, and Drafting a QB in the first few Rounds, I think the Bills are finally proving to all of us they get it...

I still think it's a possibility the Bills take a QB at #8...Especially if Geno is available...I think this signing gives them some flexibility to trade down if they wish, get and extra pick or two, and still take a QB in the 1st like Manuel...If not, I still think they take a QB by no later than the 3rd Round...We'll see though...Going into the 2013 season with Kolb as the clear cut starting QB, with no Rookie to develop behind him, would prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that Buddy and the rest of them are completely inept...But maybe that's just me... B-)

I completely agree on that one. Look, I'm willing to entertain the idea that Kolb surprises us all. I would welcome it in fact, and it does seem that the Bills put some effort into getting him to sign. But there really is no excuse to forgo have a rookie being groomed behind Kolb in the likely event that he gets hurt, or isn't the QB of the future.

Its just an insurance policy. I give the Bills credit for doing something than just sitting on their hands

Exactly. The Bills have made the best of a bad situation. How this move makes anyone's blood boil (or makes anyone overly joyful) I don't understand.

No. Neither was a journeyman.

Warner was an instant superstar with the Rams.....and Hasselbeck went straight from being a young backup behind Favre, to being a solid starter at the Seahawks.

I think that playing in the Arena League surely qualifies one as a journeyman pro.

Couldn't you hae said the same about Johnny Unitas? Hall of fame QB and some argue the greatest of his era if not all time.

I was particularly defending the choice of Warner as a journeyman who had success after years of struggle, in this case spending a very long time being passed over, and having uneventful years before a resurgence two teams after his SB year.

I think that playing in the Arena League surely qualifies one as a journeyman pro.

If not, coming back to Superbowl after getting cut from the Rams, passed over for Eli Manning on the Giants and having to win the job back from Matt Leinhart of all people certainly does.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman

I didn't understand why Arizona signed Kolb to a deal and I don't know why the Bills signed him either. Don't you guys remember what he looked like for the Eagles? Kolb will suck. End of story.

Actually I recall people here screaming we should have traded with Eagles for Kolb. Trade them our #1. After all, anyone would be better than Fitz, right? I guess we will find out if that's true.

PTR

Uncle Rico > Kevin kolb. Maybe marrone and Hackett can salvage kolb though. Small chance. He disappears too much for my tastes.

Yeah but a year ago you would have traded for him.

I would still argue that Warner was a journeyman. After his great Superbowl year he slumped and was cut, went to the Giants and lost out on the job to Eli manning, went to the Cardinals, lost out on the job to Matt Leinhart, and then led them to the playoffs in '08 and the Superbowl in '09. If that doesn't speak to being a journeyman, I don't know what does.

Warner's journeyman appearance was only due to an injury.

Warner was a 2 times league MVP. He slumped because he broke a finger on his throwing hand. He started to look good again at the Giants(2 years later).....but since they had just drafted Eli Manning(#1 pick), Warner was given the bench. He then played extremely well at the Cardinals taking their sorry franchise to the SB and nearly won it. He was great for 2 teams.....and is the only QB ever to take 2 different teams to the SB.

Warner wasn't a journeyman.

Edited by Dibs

Warner was a 2 times league MVP. He slumped because he broke a finger on his throwing hand. He started to look good again at the Giants(2 years later).....but since they had just drafted Eli Manning(#1 pick), Warner was given the bench. He then played extremely well at the Cardinals taking their sorry franchise to the SB and nearly won it. He was great for 2 teams.....and is the only QB ever to take 2 different teams to the SB.

Brad Johnson. Chris Chandler.

He was a journeyman before he even got to the Rams. He was on the Packers and got cut. He was in the Arena League. He got a tryout with the Bears and got cut. He was in NFL Europe. And then played for the Rams. Sorry, that's a journeyman.