QB Ryan Fitzpatrick Released

t317

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope our genuine respect for "Fitz the Great Guy" and "Fitz the Awesome Teammate" doesn't lead to waxing poetic about Fitz the QB's career <80 QB rating and 33% W/L record.

As a QB, the guy was middling at best. Gave us a few fun moments, but mostly disappointment.

Thankfully he and his family are now set for life, and he still has his health. Best of luck to ya, Fitzy.

They saved 7 mil in cash, and can split the cap hit between the next two years if they wish, like 30-70 IIRC.

I was under the impression that they could only split the cap hit if they cut him some time after the bonus was payed out -- like March 21 or something? Or maybe they only had to cut him after the start of the league year, in which case they can split it. Could a capologist weigh in?

Not worth handing the guy 3 million in cash. That is a lot of cash to give a guy. Nothing to do with cap hit. It's all about the cash.

I don't think it's "nothing" to do with the cap hit, but given the choice between cap hit of:

A.) $10.x million cap hit, Fitz on the roster, $3 million bonus check gone, and about $4 million in salary guaranteed if Fitz makes the opening day roster -- whether he starts or not, or

B.) $10.x million cap hit, need to fill another QB spot on the roster, no financial commitments yet

(B) is the clear winner. The only way for Fitz to stay on the team would have been to take a salary the Bills were comfortable paying a backup, and waive most of that $3mil bonus. Fitz wasn't willing to do that, so away he goes. I'll be interested to see where he lands and for how much.