Glimmer of hope for non-DirecTV NFL fans - Sunday ticket non-exclusive

GG

"DirecTV CFO Patrick Doyle said Wednesday that the company may not renew its exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket franchise when its contract with the league expires next year.

Doyle, speaking at a Deutsche Bank conference in Florida, floated the idea of DirecTV possibly sharing rights to the package with cable operators and other pay TV rivals. While DirecTV has used its exclusive rights to the package to grow its subscriber base, the company has found it challenging to turn a profit on the deal, which costs it about $1 billion annually.

"There's a point where we're certainly willing to renew and at some [license fee] increase that's reasonable, that we can absorb and continue to pass on to the customer. I think, obviously, if it goes above that, we would certainly either think about not carrying it or go nonexclusive," Doyle said. "We're not necessarily concerned about going to nonexclusive, if it's structured properly," he added."

Linky thingy

For a while they were giving the ticket free to any new subscriber. Plus anyone who called got the price reduced. I'm not surprised they aren't making money on it. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't losing money on it.

I know one person who has directTV because of the ticket. He and his wife are avid football fans and they live in the primary market for neither of their favorite teams.

I think it would be better for the NFL and all the providers if it was non-exclusive like the other sports packages.

They could put each game up on pay-per-view if they wanted to as well for people who only care about one team. Lots of possibilities.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I Have DirecTV with Sunday Ticket but I think it should be non-exclusive. Anyone willing to pay should be able to watch. Like CodeMonkey says, there are lots of possibilities and the NFL can probably make more money if they make it available to other outlets

This is a stupid question, but can anyone tell me if I can get a similar package through my PS3 (like NHL GameCenter Live), even if I don't have DirectTV?

As was said - yup! And last year it was awesome, I ended up getting the "Digital Only" Sunday Ticket package, the price was lower than the year before ($250, maybe?) and not only did the password work on my iPad and iPhone, but also on my PS3 (which as a Sunday Ticket app).

Not sure how it will all work without Direct TV since they're the ones you paid, even for the digi subscription, but lets hope this means we'll see ST on cable and on tons of different devices!

For a while they were giving the ticket free to any new subscriber. Plus anyone who called got the price reduced. I'm not surprised they aren't making money on it. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't losing money on it.

I know one person who has directTV because of the ticket. He and his wife are avid football fans and they live in the primary market for neither of their favorite teams.

I think it would be better for the NFL and all the providers if it was non-exclusive like the other sports packages.

They could put each game up on pay-per-view if they wanted to as well for people who only care about one team. Lots of possibilities.

they are still making money because you still need to be a DTV subscriber to get that deal

DTV will die when they give up the sunday ticket

they are still making money because you still need to be a DTV subscriber to get that deal

That assumes that there are an awful lot of DTV subscribers that subscribe only to get the ticket.

Maybe that's true. But if DTV does not renew it's exclusive contract (in the US) it will be because they looked at the numbers and it did not work out in their favor.

I don't know what DTV pays the NFL for the US exclusive rights, but it must be a monstrously big number.

That assumes that there are an awful lot of DTV subscribers that subscribe only to get the ticket.

Maybe that's true. But if DTV does not renew it's exclusive contract (in the US) it will be because they looked at the numbers and it did not work out in their favor.

I don't know what DTV pays the NFL for the US exclusive rights, but it must be a monstrously big number.

Found this:

On March 23, 2009, it was announced that DirecTV paid $4 billion to extend its exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014.

As was said - yup! And last year it was awesome, I ended up getting the "Digital Only" Sunday Ticket package, the price was lower than the year before ($250, maybe?) and not only did the password work on my iPad and iPhone, but also on my PS3 (which as a Sunday Ticket app).

Not sure how it will all work without Direct TV since they're the ones you paid, even for the digi subscription, but lets hope this means we'll see ST on cable and on tons of different devices!

Yes you can.

Excellent! That is what I thought I remembered from last year, but wasnt sure. Thanks for confirming!

I had heard, at least the first year they offered it (2 seasons ago I think) that the feed through PlayStation was kind of crummy, and there were numerous kinks in it...anyone know if that improved this past season?

Cable sucks will never go back. Directv is freedom from comcast and there suckie service and never ending signal connection problems. Directv forever and i hope they keep sunday tickect exclusive to only directv customers. Cable is so 20th century, step into the real world.

I have DirectTV for two reasons.

1) Sunday Ticket

2) Portable for my RV (cable or FIOS not so much).

I have double play FIOS in my house now (phone/internet) and for about $30 a month I could add FIOS TV and replace DirectTV. But 1 and 2 above keep me with them. And their Customer Service is second to none.

A couple years back I had Sunday Ticket to go, worked OK, but there were things that didn't work like you couldn't watch split screen four games in full screen mode. So on like a typical 20 to 24 inch computer monitor the screen opens up to about nine inches. Then split that into fourths, you're looking at a postage stamp. You also couldn't use any DVR functions online, the buttons were there, but greyed out, then about half way through the year, the buttons disappeared.

This past year I went to DTV and did get ST, unfortunately I signed up about two weeks before they were offering it for free, after much calling and complaining was able to get the price down for ST to around $90 after applying the credits they gave me. To be honest I did enjoy it much more than I expected and found myself watching more out of market games than I expected, maybe not the entire game, but jumping around,watching the ends of them etc. Whenever the Bill's game went to commercial would jump to the mix channel I had ST Max so was able to view online and it appeared the items I stated didn't work two seasons ago still didn't work, or if they do I wasn't able to figure it outk. If someone know's different about that let me know as would like to know how to view 4 games in max screen.

Dish Network is surviving without ST.

May be that DTV is trying to save face here too as would it would be best for NFL to offer a streaming package and keep all the $$ for themselves. It seems everything is going in that direction. Or offer it thru Amazon Prime

All in all like my five tuner HD DVR much better, but definitely don't feel signal is as reliable as cable was. To me the area that makes cable so expensive compared to DTV is in the equipment costs. It would likely cost me $40 or more a month to have the ability to record five (hell even four) programs at once, whole house abilities, and 200 hours of HD storage. DTV tends to more nickel and dime you quite frankly have worse customer support than cable does when you have problems. You want someone to come visit, unless you're paying $6 per month it's like a $50 fee. Would I go back if ST was no longer an issue? Maybe!!

I have DTV only because they are the only provider with Sunday Ticket. I guess I'm the opposite of CodeMonkey, because almost everyone I know that has DTV has it because of the Sunday Ticket. If FIOS gets the Sunday Ticket, my DTV will be history!

Edited by Lv-Bills

I used (or tried to use) game rewind exclusively last year. I was on tour and had shows every Sunday up until Week 16, so that was the perfect way to catch up on the games from various hotel rooms - and a fraction of the price of having to pay for a live service!

That said, if I'm not touring during the regular season this year and a non-exclusive, non-console linked service were to come into play, I'd definitely be tempted. No backer bar within 90 minutes one-way :(

Found this:

On March 23, 2009, it was announced that DirecTV paid $4 billion to extend its exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket until 2014.

At a mean average of $200 per subscription (some pay more, others pay less), they would need 2 million Sunday Ticket subscribers.

S I just read that DTV has around 20 mil subscribers so that would mean you'd need 10% to get ST, though from everything I've read the $200 price seems high. I would have guessed the average was closer to $100, at least based on what you read here on this site.

At a mean average of $200 per subscription (some pay more, others pay less), they would need 2 million Sunday Ticket subscribers.

S I just read that DTV has around 20 mil subscribers so that would mean you'd need 10% to get ST, though from everything I've read the $200 price seems high. I would have guessed the average was closer to $100, at least based on what you read here on this site.

I'm just guessing.

Like I said, some folks pay more and some pay less.

The official price for Sunday Ticket last year was $299.

On a sidenote, the only reason I have DirecTV is because of the Sunday Ticket.

Seems to me this is all part of a negotiation.Contract is up next year. NFL ratings are sky high, I am sure NFL is asking for a HUGE bump in fees, using the exclusivity against DTV. They have to state publicly that, at an investors conference no less (quote is from CFO, not CEO), that they can live without it and see what effect that has on the stock price. Bolsters the position they can live without the deal , and takes away one of the levers the NFL I am sure is pulling, and pulling hard, at the table.

As for the suggestions the NFL should sell single games, go to different outlets etc....the NFL loves the revenue certainty this setup provides. One in the hand so to speak. Allows for much better 5 year strategic plans etc.

You do not need to have DTV in your home in order to watch Sunday Ticket.

It is 2013. Sign up for the sunday ticket online streaming option.connect HDMI cable to your laptop. Switch TV to HDMI port of your laptop.

Viola.

You do not need to have DTV in your home in order to watch Sunday Ticket.

It is 2013. Sign up for the sunday ticket online streaming option.connect HDMI cable to your laptop. Switch TV to HDMI port of your laptop.

Viola.

How much does that cost?

You sure about that math?