What Might Have Been?

You know, I have read a lot about what might have been if the Bills would have selected Big Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Kapernick, Dalton, etc.

That said, what is to say that with our terrible coaching staff over the past decade, our horrible coordinators, QB coaches, sub par lines, WR's, RB's, TE's, etc., that ANY of these successful QB's would have had any succes in Buffalo?!

Sure, there are many intangibles that can't be coached, however, what type of support would we have provided these QB's? Does anyone believe Tom Brady would have had the same success in Buffalo with the likes of some of the supporting cast we have put on the field. RB's like Derrick Holmes, Joe Burns, Shawn Bryson; WR's like Sam Aiken, Avion Black ; TE's like Mark Campbell and Brad Cieslak.

The list goes on and on. I too hope this new regime sees what has become so painfully obvious to all of us armchair qb's. We can't compete or contend in this league until our administration, team, coaches and scouts place a priority on seeing the obvious, having courage to make changes and investing money in their product on a larger scale that a quick hit to sell tickets.

Thoughts?

You know, I have read a lot about what might have been if the Bills would have selected Big Ben, Flacco, Wilson, Kapernick, Dalton, etc.

That said, what is to say that with our terrible coaching staff over the past decade, our horrible coordinators, QB coaches, sub par lines, WR's, RB's, TE's, etc., that ANY of these successful QB's would have had any succes in Buffalo?!

You can have as many good coaching staffs, coordinators, QB coaches, lines, WRs, RBs, TEs etc as you want........if you don't have a top QB, you typically won't be going very far into the playoffs.

Sure, there are many intangibles that can't be coached, however, what type of support would we have provided these QB's? Does anyone believe Tom Brady would have had the same success in Buffalo with the likes of some of the supporting cast we have put on the field. RB's like Derrick Holmes, Joe Burns, Shawn Bryson; WR's like Sam Aiken, Avion Black ; TE's like Mark Campbell and Brad Cieslak.

The list goes on and on. I too hope this new regime sees what has become so painfully obvious to all of us armchair qb's. We can't compete or contend in this league until our administration, team, coaches and scouts place a priority on seeing the obvious, having courage to make changes and investing money in their product on a larger scale that a quick hit to sell tickets.

Thoughts?

I can't believe we passed on Ben, oh wait we didn't.

Let it go. Wooduhcooduhshooduh but didn't. You don't move forward by looking backward.

But...But I thought that we had to take few steps backward to take more steps forward!

Let us beat up on another dead-horse.

You can have as many good coaching staffs, coordinators, QB coaches, lines, WRs, RBs, TEs etc as you want........if you don't have a top QB, you typically won't be going very far into the playoffs.

They all go hand-in-hand !

So were making the giant freaking assumption, that these guys would have had the exact same careers in Buffalo,they had with the teams that drafted them? Ok then.................................................

Put down the beer and read paragraph two and three from the original poster real slowly. You will realize what a giant freaking stupid post your's is.

Put down the beer and read paragraph two and three from the original poster real slowly. You will realize what a giant freaking stupid post your's is.

Let me break this down real quick junior, the above post is,we suck at drafting,we could draft all stars but it doesn't matter,because we suck at drafting,Ralph is cheap,Nix sucks,every QB ever is better than Fitzpatrick,repeat ad nauseam. Welcome to TBD's annual offseason. Enjoy automated response number 1.

I will say this one was better worded than the last ten of these types of posts......so thats looking up. :thumbsup:

You can speculate, but you can never know. A solid QB might have turned the fortunes of this franchise around. He may have helped prevent the coaching carousel we have had. He may not. Bottom line is a good QB solves a hell of a lot of problems.

Yep. The whole premise of this question is way off, too. How about "How different would this organization look if it had a great QB for the last 8 years?" Coaches (head coaches, position coaches, etc.) don't want to come to a team that doesn't have a good QB. Free agents don't want to come to a team that doesn't have a good Qb. On and on....the entire complexion of the team would probably be different.

Rookies coming in would likely have a different attitude if their first pro experience was with a team that was on track. No doubt that losing is contagious. How successful are the Detroit Lions at luring coaches, players, front office people? Who would YOU rather work for, the Pittsburgh Steelers, NY Giants, Denver Broncos....or the Lions?

There are just so many variables.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Yep. The whole premise of this question is way off. How about "How different would this organization look if it had a good QB for the last 8 years?" Coaches (head coaches, position coaches, etc.) don't want to come to a team that doesn't have a good QB. Free agents don't want to come to a team that doesn't have a good Qb. On and on....the entire complexion of the team would probably be different. Rookies coming in would likely have a different attitude if their first pro experience was with a team that was on track. No doubt that losing is contagious.

There are just so many variables.

I actually tried to have a look at the Super Bowl winning HC records they had without their Star QB. It was very difficult as often the first thing a new HC does is find their star QB.

Here is the list of SB winning HC for the last 10 years.

John Harbaugh: Flacco drafted 1st year.....performed well 1st year.

Tom Coughlin: Eli Manning drafted 1st year....performed poorly 1st year(6-10).....performed well 2nd year.

Mike McCarthy: Favre in 1st 2 seasons.....Rodgers thereafter.

Sean Payton: Brees in 1st year.

Mike Tomlin: Big Ben already there.

Tony Dungy: 76% win record with P. Manning....56% win record without star QB.

Bill Cowher: 73% win record with Big Ben....56% win record without star QB.

Bill Belichick: 77% win record with Brady....45% win record without star QB.

I actually tried to have a look at the Super Bowl winning HC records they had without their Star QB. It was very difficult as often the first thing a new HC does is find their star QB.

Tom Coughlin: Eli Manning drafted 1st year....performed poorly 1st year(6-10).....performed well 2nd year.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they only drafted Qb's every year, and just tried to fill the rest of their needs with free agents, and undrafted guys. It's getting ridiculous, they have basically gone 2 decades without competing.

Dibs,

The proof is in the pudding...and you just proved my theory that they go hand-in-hand (Coaching + Elite QB)

Dibs,

The proof is in the pudding...and you just proved my theory that they go hand-in-hand (Coaching + Elite QB)

When you say "Coaching + Elite QB", I assume you don't just mean having a coach....because every team has a coach & therefore has coaching.

I figure you must mean "good coach"....or "decent coach"?

All teams go through ebbs and flows.....better years and worse years. Relating things back to the thread premise.....how many games would the Bills have won last year if we had a Brady/Rodgers/Big Ben type QB? We won 6 with a horrid 4th quarter QB, terrible coaching, a pathetic defense & an inordinate number of injuries.

With all that against us we likely would have won 9+ games with an Elite QB instead of Fitz. How many games would we have won with a better defense and fewer injuries? 12? 13? Would that make Chan a good coach?

A decent(not good) Coach that has an Elite QB, is regularly in the running for the SB(depending on standard ebb & flow).

A good Coach that doesn't have an Elite QB, is regularly subject to the standard ebb & flow....with virtually no chance of the SB.

I'm going to assume you mean "decent" coach as it surely can't be a massive coincidence that all of the Elite QBs happen to have good coaches as well.

Finding a decent coach(neither great, nor bad) is not as hard as us Bills fans would think.

We tried to trade up to get him but the Jaguars asked for the moon. I wish we offered the moon, but oh well. I still can't believe the one year the steelers were worse than the bills Big Ben was sitting there for them.. Or the one year the colts were bad Luck was available.

When you say "Coaching + Elite QB", I assume you don't just mean having a coach....because every team has a coach & therefore has coaching.

I figure you must mean "good coach"....or "decent coach"?

All teams go through ebbs and flows.....better years and worse years. Relating things back to the thread premise.....how many games would the Bills have won last year if we had a Brady/Rodgers/Big Ben type QB? We won 6 with a horrid 4th quarter QB, terrible coaching, a pathetic defense & an inordinate number of injuries.

With all that against us we likely would have won 9+ games with an Elite QB instead of Fitz. How many games would we have won with a better defense and fewer injuries? 12? 13? Would that make Chan a good coach?

A decent(not good) Coach that has an Elite QB, is regularly in the running for the SB(depending on standard ebb & flow).

A good Coach that doesn't have an Elite QB, is regularly subject to the standard ebb & flow....with virtually no chance of the SB.

I'm going to assume you mean "decent" coach as it surely can't be a massive coincidence that all of the Elite QBs happen to have good coaches as well.

Finding a decent coach(neither great, nor bad) is not as hard as us Bills fans would think.

Yup... A decent coach that is not over his head with a Elite QB will always be in the running for the championship.....However, I don't know if the Bills had a "decent coaching staff" last year...The coaching staff with their own play calling probably ruined an equal number of games as much as the pathetic QB play from Fitzpatrick.

Some good examples are Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Wisenhunt, Andy Reid are all decent coaches who can compete if they have the right QB. However, I doubt Gailey and his coaching staff could have done any better with a better QB.

Yup... A decent coach that is not over his head with a Elite QB will always be in the running for the championship.....However, I don't know if the Bills had a "decent coaching staff" last year...The coaching staff with their own play calling probably ruined an equal number of games as much as the pathetic QB play from Fitzpatrick.

Some good examples are Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Wisenhunt, Andy Reid are all decent coaches who can compete if they have the right QB. However, I doubt Gailey and his coaching staff could have done any better with a better QB.

There's no such thing as a decent coach with a great QB. The great QB even makes the waterboy better.

Again, OBD picked a FINE year to decide to find a great QB.

There's no such thing as a decent coach with a great QB. The great QB even makes the waterboy better.

Again, OBD picked a FINE year to decide to find a great QB.

I disagree. Even with Peyton Manning, Dungy was able to win just one SB against a weak Chicago team. Even Bill Cowher is a little overrated. He could win a SB only after having an elite QB who did not make mistakes and played like a champion in those playoff games.

I agree wit you I think 2 QB's that we took JP & Trent could have been better QB's had they not had to go through what they did while here in B/lo.

JP had what 3 different OC's while here, not to mention that every time the guy made a few bad throws they were benching him & then they'd put him back in, that for sure does nothing for a young QB's confidence !!

Then Trent just didn't have a O line to keep him upright so he had to get rid of the ball & even when he did he still got tagged just about every time.

JP had a gun & Trent although not as strong of a arm as JP got the monicker Captain check down & was ragged on which the fans here are stone cold & have no common sense when it comes to being rational about situations such as either of these payers were in while here.

All QB's or most any players in bills fans eyes are to be Superman & carry the team to prominence in the NFL !! That's why JP, Trent, Kelsay, & others didn't have a chance when it came to public or fan opinion in a Bills uni ...

I agree wit you I think 2 QB's that we took JP & Trent could have been better QB's had they not had to go through what they did while here in B/lo.

JP had what 3 different OC's while here, not to mention that every time the guy made a few bad throws they were benching him & then they'd put him back in, that for sure does nothing for a young QB's confidence !!

Then Trent just didn't have a O line to keep him upright so he had to get rid of the ball & even when he did he still got tagged just about every time.

JP had a gun & Trent although not as strong of a arm as JP got the monicker Captain check down & was ragged on which the fans here are stone cold & have no common sense when it comes to being rational about situations such as either of these payers were in while here.

All QB's or most any players in bills fans eyes are to be Superman & carry the team to prominence in the NFL !! That's why JP, Trent, Kelsay, & others didn't have a chance when it came to public or fan opinion in a Bills uni ...

Nah.

None of the Qb's the Bills had, went on to have success elsewhere. Please, the "Trent Edwards was good before the injury" claim is wrong. He was a 3rd round draft pick type talent, and it showed. At best he might have made a nice backup someday.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

So were making the giant freaking assumption, that these guys would have had the exact same careers in Buffalo,they had with the teams that drafted them? Ok then.................................................

Does anyone think Joe Montana would have had a HOF career if he'd been drafted by the Bills?