Bills are placing franchise tag on S Jairus Byrd.

Levitre is gone. Look at some teams that are far closer than the Bills who have desperate needs at guard. The Lions come most immediately to mind, but the same could be said about the Steelers and the Eagles (despite the fact that the Steelers took a guard last season in rd 1). A number of teams are desperate for an offensive line upgrade, and Levitre is really good. Durable too.

http://www.footballo...rs.com/stats/OL

I was about to post this. He's gone, but the team can't come out and say they're letting him go for fear of alienating the fan base. And when he's gone they'll be silent or say they appreciated him but were moving on. This nonsense about taking two to tango is a convenient excuse if he leaves. If the team offered him a market deal now he'd be more inclined to stay. Or, it's possible he doesn't want any part with playing under his 3rd HC in 4th season and needs a better organization.

It would be one thing if the Bills had a young up and coming type to play LG who was capable of playing now. Unfortunately, they don't, and as always will hype a fringe guy or take one early.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

Non-exclusive for a guard is 8.5 million

To me if the choice is between long terming Byrd, transition tag for Levitre and cutting Fitzpatrick

or franchising Byrd, losing Levitre and keeping an 8 million dollar QB who has turned over the ball the 2nd most times in the last 3 years of NFL play?

hmmmm

That's not the choice...Fitz costs the same whether he stays or is cut, unless he agrees to renegotiate his deal.

i can't understand why people automatically blame the FO if Levitre decides to leave. He's a FA, if he chooses to test the market, how is it the organization's fault? I'm certainly not going to blame them for not wanting to pay a guard 9mil a season.

Get Serious

Wow they signed up 3 UDFA that they got of the street and a 7th round QB that they backed up a garbage truck full of cash to his front door after 4 decent games

Real bunch of capologists and long term planners

Okay, so you're going to disregard the fact that they did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you insinuated, simply because you don't like the talent level on the team?

Makes sense...nice work.

Now, do you have a relevant point, or are you just here to whine about losing our best OG--something that hasn't happened yet?

I'm talking about the current front office, whereas you gave examples from 10 years ago and 5 years ago.

The current front office has re-signed every free agent they've attempted to over the past 3 years, with the exception of Poz and Whitner, who it's debatable they wanted to sign in the first place. Observe:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We have a culture of losing. The Bills have the longest playoff draught in the NFL. We are going backwards with the current administration. Is this the best Bills team this millenium? What exactly is the source of your optimism and faith in the current front office?

Okay, so you're going to disregard the fact that they did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you insinuated, simply because you don't like the talent level on the team?

Makes sense...nice work.

Now, do you have a relevant point, or are you just here to whine about losing our best OG--something that hasn't happened yet?

I'm saying it takes a truly talented front office to negotiate long term deals with players who are close to the top of their position.

When you are signing a UDFA who stole a roster spot through hard work and a great camp to an extension I'm not that impressed, all the leverage is with the front office in those situations.

The time to sign talented players is not 7 days beforer they hot complete free agency

Very rare does a player "test the waters" and not leave the team he is on. Once a player feels he's not worth the extra effort to keep them, pride kick in and they walk. Letting him go is worst than letting Byrd go IMHO. He's been the only foundation this o-line has had since he came to buffalo. Played where ever they have asked and held his own. Guards are supposedly easy to find, but football players aren't.

Have you thought that maybe he does not want to re-sign here? Maybe the Bills offered him a big deal and he said no.

It's a win-win. Byrd gets decent money.

The Bills get him in a contract year with the opportunity to feel-out the new "culture."

It's a great audition for the coaches, one that Byrd is prudent to put them through BEFORE he signs that long deal. He would have been foolish to sign long term now.

Good points. Byrd has said winning is important to him. He gets a year to gauge the direction of the new regime.

Too many people think with both Byrd and Levitre it's all about money.

Good chance playing on a good team. A playoff team, is as important to some players. They get paid no matter where they play. Why not play for a winner?

Look how Evans, McGee and Kelsay, to name but a select few, spent their careers. On Bills teams that never had a chance. Even Kyle Williams at the end of the last season, talked about all the work that goes into a season. And playing for the bills (so far) has had zero payoff. Money is a motivator, but so is playing for a team that actually has a chance at winning more than 6 games.

Can anyone name even one recent example of a player taking notably less money to play for a "real" team? This happens in the NBA but I'm pretty sure it almost never happens in the NFL.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We have a culture of losing. The Bills have the longest playoff draught in the NFL. We are going backwards with the current administration. Is this the best Bills team this millenium? What exactly is the source of your optimism and faith in the current front office?

Well, either you refuse to read what I write, or you're just ignoring it.

The Bills have clearly learned from history, as they've re-signed every valuable free agent that's been up for a contract since Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley took over the front office...a fact that I've pointed out to you twice already in this very thread. You responded by slamming the quality of the players, which really makes no sense, given that your point was that--many years ago, the team let 2 CBs walk and replaced them in the draft.

They haven't done that at all in the past 3 years; it's not that hard to understand.

The simple fact that they re-sign their quality players (Stevie, Freddie, Kyle, Urbik, Pears, etc.) should tell you that they clearly value doing so...the fact that they franchised Byrd, giving themselves another 3 months to sign the guy, and 11 days to concentrate on Levitre's deal, should tell you the same.

I'm sorry the team hasn't been a playoff contender, but you're barking up the wrong tree with this crusade of yours. You're claiming that they're not keeping key guys and then drafting to replace them...that's not happening, and anyone paying any attention to the team over the last 3 years can clearly see it.

The elephant in the room is - why weren't these 2 guys signed a long time ago?

Because they obviously didn't want to sign and try free agency. Players usually get one chance to get a big contract and play where they want and it's usually right after their rookie contract expires.

I'm saying it takes a truly talented front office to negotiate long term deals with players who are close to the top of their position.

When you are signing a UDFA who stole a roster spot through hard work and a great camp to an extension I'm not that impressed, all the leverage is with the front office in those situations.

The time to sign talented players is not 7 days beforer they hot complete free agency

So wait, you won't credit them for signing Stevie to an extension because he was a 7th round pick, which--somehow--gave the team the leverage in negotiations last year?

Also, I challenge you to look at any free agency period in recent years...many, many teams re-sign players at this juncture. The Giants re-signed their LT yesterday, the Saints didn't re-sign Brees until well after the FA period started last year, Joe Flacco doesn't have a contract right now...your point is not salient.

Assuming they can reach a long term deal with Byrd, can they then remove the franchise tag and then apply it to Levitre or can it only be applied once per year?

Don't know if anyone answered your question cuz I don't have time to read all the replies on here but yes they can.

"The team will likely try to still work out a long term deal to make it more cap friendly and get the tag back." http://billsdaily.com/news/

I was about to post this. He's gone, but the team can't come out and say they're letting him go for fear of alienating the fan base. And when he's gone they'll be silent or say they appreciated him but were moving on. This nonsense about taking two to tango is a convenient excuse if he leaves. If the team offered him a market deal now he'd be more inclined to stay. Or, it's possible he doesn't want any part with playing under his 3rd HC in 4th season and needs a better organization.

It would be one thing if the Bills had a young up and coming type to play LG who was capable of playing now. Unfortunately, they don't, and as always will hype a fringe guy or take one early.

Except that it DOES take two to tango. Always has. Secondly, Levitre doesn't know what the market is for his services yet. Bills can't offer him a market price until that's established and Levitre owes to himself to see what it is. Can't just say offer him the highest contract ever for a G, either. That still doesn't establish his market value.

As to him not wanting to play for such a disfunctional organization, perhaps that' true. But that ALSO indicates it takes two to tango. If he plain doesn't like it here, nothing much you can do. And if he doesn't like it here, then there is little that simply offering a little more than any other team can do, either.

Why don't we see how this plays out before saying definitively that he's gone or not.

GO BILLS!!!

I suspect the two happiest people in the world to hear that Byrd got tagged were Levitre and his agent.

Now he is free to pursue a long term deal with whomever shows interest in him, including the Bills.

Though honestly I cannot come up with one reason for him to want to stay on the Bills if there are other teams with similar offers.

I suspect the two happiest people in the world to hear that Byrd got tagged were Levitre and his agent.

Now he is free to pursue a long term deal with whomever shows interest in him, including the Bills.

Though honestly I cannot come up with one reason for him to want to stay on the Bills if there are other teams with similar offers.

To be honest, many NFL players over the years have lamented the decision to leave their current situation for a new team. It often takes uprooting families, getting used to a new area, meshing with a new locker room, changing costs of living, and many other real-life factors that fans don't consider.

A great number of players would gladly take the devil they know over the one they don't...all things being close to equal (and in this case, I'd guess they will be).

Except that it DOES take two to tango. Always has. Secondly, Levitre doesn't know what the market is for his services yet. Bills can't offer him a market price until that's established and Levitre owes to himself to see what it is. Can't just say offer him the highest contract ever for a G, either. That still doesn't establish his market value.

As to him not wanting to play for such a disfunctional organization, perhaps that' true. But that ALSO indicates it takes two to tango. If he plain doesn't like it here, nothing much you can do. And if he doesn't like it here, then there is little that simply offering a little more than any other team can do, either.

Why don't we see how this plays out before saying definitively that he's gone or not.

GO BILLS!!!

because then we could never overreact to anything on here.

The elephant in the room is - why weren't these 2 guys signed a long time ago?

It makes absolutely NO SENSE for either of them to sign early without first establishing their worth on the open market.

GO BILLS!!!

Does he think he and Eric Wood are an effective team? Does he have a family who has lived in Buffalo for 4 years who doesn't want to move? Does he believe the Bills are turning the corner to respectability? Does he feel any personal debt to the team that drafted him? Does he like snow and chicken wings? Does he enjoy yearly trips to Toronto? Having been to almost every stadium does he feel Bills fans are the best in the league?

Does he think he and Eric Wood are an effective team? Does he have a family who has lived in Buffalo for 4 years who doesn't want to move? Does he believe the Bills are turning the corner to respectability? Does he feel any personal debt to the team that drafted him? Does he like snow and chicken wings? Does he enjoy yearly trips to Toronto? Having been to almost every stadium does he feel Bills fans are the best in the league?

In all fairness, he said one reason.

Assuming they can reach a long term deal with Byrd, can they then remove the franchise tag and then apply it to Levitre or can it only be applied once per year?

As has been discussed before, for purposes of the salary for a franchise tag, offensive linemen are all grouped together. Levitre does not deserve to be paid the average of the top 5 OTs. Giving him the franchise tag would be a mistake!

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

To be honest, many NFL players over the years have lamented the decision to leave their current situation for a new team. It often takes uprooting families, getting used to a new area, meshing with a new locker room, changing costs of living, and many other real-life factors that fans don't consider.

A great number of players would gladly take the devil they know over the one they don't...all things being close to equal (and in this case, I'd guess they will be).

I see your point. But in this case what exactly is the devil he knows? I believe this is his third HC, a completely new coaching staff, a change in ownership imminent, and rumors at the very least of yet another GM. The only consistency seems to be the hideous records of the team for the past 13 years.

The franchise for Levitre is upwards of 9 million though...that's surely more per year than he'd get on the open market. Not sure I understand the logic that franchising Levitre was ever even an option.

Agreed. With Levire, the options are to sign him or let him walk.

Not sure why the Bills didn't work hard to sign him mid-season, but whatever.

Here's a link to the Stevie Johnson FA thread from last year...a lot of chicken littles claiming he was gone well before FA started:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/142150-stevie-johnson-contract-signed/page__hl__%2Bstevie+%2Bjohnson

Well, it's foot-in-the-mouth time for you, sir. In my interest to see who declared Stevie a goner last year, I went and checked out the Stevie superthread from last year at this time, and check out this beauty:

Stevie Thread

Your direct quote:

The Bills have allowed Johnson to have all the leverage, and they now probably want a do-over on the original offer and are offering Johnson what he initially desired. Of course, Johnson has no financial incentive to take that offer. The fact that they couldn't lock up their young talent at a bargain rate means they have already messed this one up, no matter how things shake out. For the Bills to lose Johnson, it would be a colossal failure that will seriously alienate their fan base. It would reinforce the notion that they are a farm team for the rest of the league, the NFL equivalent of the Kansas City Royals.

Could the fact that Wood will be a FA next year factor into the decision. Perhaps they do not want to have two large contracts on the interior of the O Line?

With Wood's Injury History and Levitre's Versatility I would have resigned him.

In all fairness, he said one reason.

Hmmm. True. Should have chosen my words better. I should have said that I can't think of a good reason.

This irritates me quite a bit! Not because Byrd is staying, that I am thrilled about. I am irritated because that means that neither wanted to sign a long term deal with us. (Unless Levitre does within the next few days) So either they wanted more money than what was offered, or they just don't want to be part of a losing team anymore. Either way, not good.

Agreed. With Levire, the options are to sign him or let him walk.

Not sure why the Bills didn't work hard to sign him mid-season, but whatever.

Same reason guys like Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, etc. don't sign deals during the season: many players prefer to just play the game, without worrying about contract negotations affecting their mindset. Even if the agent handles most of the discussions, the players are still aware of the situation.

This irritates me quite a bit! Not because Byrd is staying, that I am thrilled about. I am irritated because that means that neither wanted to sign a long term deal with us. (Unless Levitre does within the next few days) So either they wanted more money than what was offered, or they just don't want to be part of a losing team anymore. Either way, not good.

Again, I don't think that's the case. The two sides have been talking (spoke at the combine), so it's likely that the team just wasn't 100% sure they could get a deal done before the franchise deadline, at which time they'd lose the ability to tag Byrd. With him tagged, they have until June to negotiate a long-term deal. With that extra time, they can now focus on Levitre.

I think it makes perfect sense.

For the last few months there's a been a consensus here--a rarity--that Byrd was an offseason priority. He's coming back next year, yet the ding-dongs who have to **** on every parade have still found something to B word about. Give it a rest, fellas.

Same reason guys like Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, etc. don't sign deals during the season: many players prefer to just play the game, without worrying about contract negotations affecting their mindset. Even if the agent handles most of the discussions, the players are still aware of the situation.

:

Again, I don't think that's the case. The two sides have been talking (spoke at the combine), so it's likely that the team just wasn't 100% sure they could get a deal done before the franchise deadline, at which time they'd lose the ability to tag Byrd. With him tagged, they have until June to negotiate a long-term deal. With that extra time, they can now focus on Levitre.

I think it makes perfect sense

I still don't think it should take a long time to come up with a deal for a whopping 2 players we want to keep. If they really wanted to get these deals done.......I am sure they could have found a way.

I dont like it. :thumbdown:

I would think Byrd would be THE player to take care of. Sign him long term get it over with. He was one of the best safeties in the league and the Bills don't sign him long term. WTF? the guy plays his ass of for a losing team , stays clean off the field, what more do you want from the guy??

Same old dumb as Bills.

Exactly

Idiot franchises draft players, see them develop into effective starters and then let them wal four years later

Well, I wouldn't go that far just yet. Remember that OBD have a relationship with Levitre. And he has a routine here. And he's a homegrown hero here. If he goes to Detroit and their line, for any reason, stinks, he never sees the far side of his contract. He knows who he's playing next to in Buffalo and they don't suck (Wood and Glenn).

There are a lot of reasons a guy would resign and we just will not know for a couple weeks. No sense getting the panties in a bunch just yet. There with plenty of time (and reasons) to vilify Magoo.

Here's a link to the Stevie Johnson FA thread from last year...a lot of chicken littles claiming he was gone well before FA started:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/142150-stevie-johnson-contract-signed/page__hl__%2Bstevie+%2Bjohnson

Well, it's foot-in-the-mouth time for you, sir. In my interest to see who declared Stevie a goner last year, I went and checked out the Stevie superthread from last year at this time, and check out this beauty:

Stevie Thread

Your direct quote:

The Bills have allowed Johnson to have all the leverage, and they now probably want a do-over on the original offer and are offering Johnson what he initially desired. Of course, Johnson has no financial incentive to take that offer. The fact that they couldn't lock up their young talent at a bargain rate means they have already messed this one up, no matter how things shake out. For the Bills to lose Johnson, it would be a colossal failure that will seriously alienate their fan base. It would reinforce the notion that they are a farm team for the rest of the league, the NFL equivalent of the Kansas City Royals.

a certain irony in the name of the poster you have quoted.....

players dont like playing under the tag so im positive byrd will eventually sign a long term deal to stay. even if they sign byrd tomorrow bills wont want to then use the tag on cialis cuz he might just decide to risk it to get the 8.5 mil for one season and see what happens next year

so basically its probably going to end up like lord meaticus told youse months ago - byrd is the word and bye bye viagra