Will Beatty contract could be the frame for a LeVitre deal

Estro

The keyword is COULD. I understand they play different positions, Beatty is a LT, which is a position that pays a lot better than LG. So maybe a very good LG is worth the same money as a good LT. Beatty's deal is 5 years for $38.75 million, including a $12.5 million signing bonus and $19 million guaranteed. If LeVitre is willing to take a similar deal in the $7.5-$7.75 million per year range with similar signing bonuses and guarantees, I think a deal could maybe get done. For the record (as I've stated in previous threads), I think LeVitre is set on testing his value on the open market, and I don't blame him. It's likely he'll cash in north of $8 million per year, with guarantees over the $20 million mark. At this point I'm pegging the chances of LeVitre returning to Buffalo at about 20%, and I think the chances the Bills tag him are extremely remote, even if a deal with Byrd get done prior to March 12.

Someone while make Levitre the highest paid guard in the league. Their is no fair deal in FA. A decent number of teams have cap space even in a flat cap era. He could opt to play for a winning frachise at a discount. Nix should have signed him last year. The Bills did not use cash to the cap last year like they promised. They will lose Levitre. They will have holes at WR #1, 4, and 5, QB, LG, OLB, OLB, MLB, DE, TE # 1 and 2, possibly RT, back-up C, bacup up SS, and CB#3-5 going into FA if they tag Byrd. That is 1/3rd of the team. If they go the traditional route of sign two or three guys in FA and the draft, this team is 3 years away from the playoffs. I think the best way forward is to replicate what New England did and sign 8-10 middle tier FA's and completely overhaul this roster. See if they get lucky with a Vrabel type player. Then draft 3 QB's in the next two years.

You guys are really high on this guy. Is this the home town over value? He's promising and serviceable but not dominant in any phase, IMO...he's listed 8th best at his position, I will add they're is some upside from this report but far from elite. BTW, in this report he's one spot higher than his teammate C. Rhinehart maybe that's a starting point...

Edited by pimp 2

You guys are really high on this guy. Is this the home town over value? He's promising and serviceable but not dominant in any phase, IMO...he's listed 8th best at his position, I will add they're is some upside from this report but far from elite. BTW, in this report he's one spot higher than his teammate C. Rhinehart maybe that's a starting point...

Levitre is our best O-Lineman.

If the Bills must overpay, then do it.

Besides, the Bills can always restructure his contract in the future.

Andy is a solid... not spectaculer guard. His forte is versatility, a good pass blocker and durability. He is an average run blocker. When one places Andy at the $8m threshold, to me, that devalues guys like Hutchinson and Faneca. Levitre is not in that class.

What I believe Andy's value to be, and I'll explain, is in the range of 4.5 to 5m. I'm thinking that if Andy left for more money (and that is rralistic), the Bills could fill his position in one of four ways and come out ahead.

1) Sign Slaussen in free agency. His price tag would be more in the 3-4m range and the Bills get bigger, a more physical and better run blocker, but do concede some level of pass blocking.

2) At #8 the Bills are going to have Cooper or Warmack available if they want. That fills the void and both have higher ceilings.

3) Draft a LT at #8 and move Glenn to LG. They get bigger at LG and more physical.

4) Move Hairston to LT and Glenn to LG. This is the "do you feel lucky" strategy. I throw this one in as an option because Hairston has shown flashes of pretty good play. He's also shown bad flashes. His hc was an o lineman and perhaps he can get him tp the next level.

I really see option #1 as the best. It keeps the Bills in play for Bowe, Cook or Keller , Ellerbe, and Barwin in FA (they could land 2 of those 5), plus allows them to fill big holes at NT, CB, & QB in the draft.

Signing Andy for $7-8m is really not a good value, especially considering this season is likely not to make the playoffs again this year.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Andy is a solid... not spectaculer guard. His forte is versatility, a good pass blocker and durability. He is an average run blocker. When one places Andy at the $8m threshold, to me, that devalues guys like Hutchinson and Faneca. Levitre is not in that class.

What I believe Andy's value to be, and I'll explain, is in the range of 4.5 to 5m. I'm thinking that if Andy left for more money (and that is rralistic), the Bills could fill his position in one of four ways and come out ahead.

1) Sign Slaussen in free agency. His price tag would be more in the 3-4m range and the Bills get bigger, a more physical and better run blocker, but do concede some level of pass blocking.

2) At #8 the Bills are going to have Cooper or Warmack available if they want. That fills the void and both have higher ceilings.

3) Draft a LT at #8 and move Glenn to LG. They get bigger at LG and more physical.

4) Move Hairston to LT and Glenn to LG. This is the "do you feel lucky" strategy. I throw this one in as an option because Hairston has shown flashes of pretty good play. He's also shown bad flashes. His hc was an o lineman and perhaps he can get him tp the next level.

I really see option #1 as the best. It keeps the Bills in play for Bowe, Cook or Keller , Ellerbe, and Barwin in FA (they could land 2 of those 5), plus allows them to fill big holes at NT, CB, & QB in the draft.

Signing Andy for $7-8m is really not a good value, especially considering this season is likely not to make the playoffs again this year.

Please not #2...this cycle of not signing our own and drafting to fill needs that walk just SUCKS!

I agree w your thinking Tooth. No way this team is paying 8m per year to Levitre. He is good, but certainly not a great player worth that kind of money. How many games have we won because of Andy Levitre. Last I looked we won 21 games the past four seasons. If his price is too high, we move on.

And for all you posters who are crying about how many holes we NOW have to fill on the roster. This roster has won 16 games the past three seasons. That is TERRIBLE!! The more guys shown the door, the better. There is still plenty of garbage left to be taken out. This has been a team of losers. The more change the better. We may finally get a real football team once Marrone molds things together. That is exciting to me, as it should be to all of you on here.

Levitre is our best O-Lineman.

The only hope with them cutting a bunch of guys of late is they are freeing money for Levitre and Bryd. Besides QB, one of the biggest problems with this team is when they actually find & develop good talent, they don't keep them. STOP CREATING MORE HOLES!!!

The keyword is COULD. I understand they play different positions, Beatty is a LT, which is a position that pays a lot better than LG. So maybe a very good LG is worth the same money as a good LT. Beatty's deal is 5 years for $38.75 million, including a $12.5 million signing bonus and $19 million guaranteed. If LeVitre is willing to take a similar deal in the $7.5-$7.75 million per year range with similar signing bonuses and guarantees, I think a deal could maybe get done. For the record (as I've stated in previous threads), I think LeVitre is set on testing his value on the open market, and I don't blame him. It's likely he'll cash in north of $8 million per year, with guarantees over the $20 million mark. At this point I'm pegging the chances of LeVitre returning to Buffalo at about 20%, and I think the chances the Bills tag him are extremely remote, even if a deal with Byrd get done prior to March 12.

We CANNOT afford to lose Levitre. This offseason has seen lot of departures at key positions (CB, WR, DE). We not only have giant holes to fill, but plenty of them too. Hence, if we have a good thing with Levitre (I don't care if he is rated #8 or #5), we have to keep him. A very durable and solid player. Him and Byrd are must-keeps

The Bills did not use cash to the cap last year like they promised.

"Cash to cap" is just a type of accounting methodology, it doesn't have anything to do with spending to the cap limit.

It takes both sides to restructure a deal - if it were as simple as you make it sound, teams would be throwing money around much more recklessly than they do now.

We CANNOT afford to lose Levitre. This offseason has seen lot of departures at key positions (CB, WR, DE). We not only have giant holes to fill, but plenty of them too. Hence, if we have a good thing with Levitre (I don't care if he is rated #8 or #5), we have to keep him. A very durable and solid player. Him and Byrd are must-keeps

Of course they can - and then sign a slightly lower rated guard for 3 or 4 $M instead - it's hard to imagine the "football analytics" that could justify putting your big money into an OG.

I love having him on the team and all, but that doesn't mean paying a forture for him is smart.

The only hope with them cutting a bunch of guys of late is they are freeing money for Levitre and Bryd. Besides QB, one of the biggest problems with this team is when they actually find & develop good talent, they don't keep them. STOP CREATING MORE HOLES!!!

Byrd and Levitre (if they get there) are just FA's like a bunch of other players.

Once you have the cash from letting these guys go, what's the significance of resigning your own guys as opposed to spending the same cash on other positions where the difference between having the best and having OK is more impactful to wins and losses?

Put it another way - would you trade Levitre for Dwayne Bowe? I think I'd rather have Bowe and Rheinhart as starters then Levitre and Easely(or Jones/Nelson before they were let loose) - wouldn't you?

Of course they can - and then sign a slightly lower rated guard for 3 or 4 $M instead - it's hard to imagine the "football analytics" that could justify putting your big money into an OG.

I love having him on the team and all, but that doesn't mean paying a forture for him is smart.

the theory is you can spend less on elite guards compared to elite tackles, and if you face teams with outside rushers you can give a little chip with a back or TE and your qb can still climb the pocket and keep his face and throwing lanes clean, while you neutralize the big guys inside during the running game.

in fact, sean payton in new orleans (ie a guy that marrone last worked under) designs his line this very way. i could see a rookie being able to trust he can step up in the pocket cleanly every time being great for his development. for the saints, its an important way to compensate for drews lack of height.

guard salary is definitely catching up to tackles though and its not quite the value move it once was.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm with you on this, just because he's the Bills best lineman doesn't mean he deserves to be top paid at his position. He's a very good guard and should be paid well but I just don't see him getting paid more than 8 mil a year somewhere else. I pray that we keep him, he's one of the best draft picks we've had in years but I wouldn't break the bank for the guy.