BREAKING: Bills release Nick Barnett

SBUffalo

last season nick hit the wall harder than amanda bynes hits cop cars

yes thats the second time ive used that joke. its a good one and i didnt even get one measely lol before. so im gonna keep using it until one of you ungrateful bastards gives me a lol. and it better be a real one, no fake lols, you dont necessarily have to give me a rofl or lmao unless you want to but i do require at least a real lol

l 0 l

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Barnett and Wilson weren't the top two tacklers on the team, somebody else would have been..."leading tackler" is, maybe, one of the most mis-leading stats in pro football. Maybe they were the leading tacklers, cuz the offense knows they are the easiest to gain yards on?

Still, wish both guys the best...two good dudes.

Edited by Buftex

Ok, so I agree that # of tackles is a fairly useless stat. I only mentioned it because it was the ONLY ONE I could find being used to grade LBs. If eyeballing is the only way to judge a LB, then I agree, he looked like he got beat up pretty often last year (although I am not sure I feel as down on him as some of you), but I gotta believe that the decision to keep or jettison someone is based on something more objective that eyeball e v a l. I mean, this is the team of analytics right?

If you are an NFL coach or scout, then maybe you can just eyeball, but is there a truly OBJECTIVE way for the average shmoe to grade LBs?

And please don't respond by saying you just know by watching. I can do that, you can do that, JP losman's grandma can do that, but the questions is what happens when you disagree. And just because the other people at the bar agree doesn't make it more objective.

Again, I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just asking if anyone out there knows of a good objective way to evaluate LBs. As fans of a team severely lacking in LBs, I feel like we should all be asking this question so that we can evaluate the talent out there.

----------------

Okay, although it may look like the same post, I posted the above and then learned the following which I tried to post, and which got merged into my previous post. Consider this my follow up post

ACtually, this may help, its still subject to some personal bias, (not a collection of stats that spits out a number), but I suppose you could apply a grade to each criterion and get a number based rating system out of it. Linked below is scouts, Inc. grading system for college LBs, and links to the criteria they use for other positions as well. Unfortunately, both the ILB and OLB links list the evaluation criteria for ILB, but its a nice way that you could go back to tape and make a somewhat objective opinion on LB play.

And yes, I just answered my own question.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2350653

Edited by BillsBackersChicago

If Barnett and Wilson weren't the top two tacklers on the team, somebody else would have been..."leading tackler" is, maybe, one of the most mis-leading stats in pro football. Maybe they were the leading tacklers, cuz the offense knows they are the easiest to gain yards on?

Still, wish both guys the best...two good dudes.

I don't think both guys were bad players but they were far from good. I was surprised at G.Wilson but he did regress last season. I would have kept Wilson. But releasing Barnett makes sense, guy was decent but replaceable and with a new coach you need to shake up the roster a bit. McGee and Kelsay should be next both big cap numbers that are under preforming.

Time to cut all the overpaid vets. Both players were okay, but were being paid way to much. On a great D they would have been backups IMO. Need the $$ to sign Byrd and Levitre, and grab a FA safety or LB or WR.

Edited by RyanC883

Again, I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just asking if anyone out there knows of a good objective way to evaluate LBs. As fans of a team severely lacking in LBs, I feel like we should all be asking this question so that we can evaluate the talent out there.

No worries, and I wasnt trying to be pompous or a smart-ass. LBs are tough. I just dont think there is a better way to evaluate LBs than simply watching.

And even then, we don't really know what their assignment was, where they were supposed to go, what they were supposed to do, etc. It might look like a guy is out of position when a play goes by him, but it could be that he was in the exact spot he was told to be, and the scheme sucked or someone else didnt do their job. We just dont really know.

But when you are watching, and the offense is running directly at him or throwing to his guy consistently, and having great success, then it gets a little more obvious.

kelsay is a good all around player who got one too-big contract and has paid for it ever since

however, i predict this coming season kelsay will hit the wall harder than amanda bynes hits cop cars

Incorrect. Kelsay was never much of an all around player. He was a so-so pass rusher who really struggled against the run. At 260, he could never stand up at his strong side LDE position and he certainly didn't bring enough heat to play the RDE.

The strength of his game was actually durability. That is gone now. He's only played in 21 of the last 32 games, including just 9 last year. He will be 34 this season.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Time to cut all the overpaid vets. Both players were okay, but were being paid way to much. On a great D they would have been backups IMO. Need the $$ to sign Byrd and Levitre, and grab a FA safety or LB or WR.

Except it's not and we dont.

As Schefter just reported, with the addition of these 2 cuts, the Bills are now about $30million under cap. Plenty of room to sign our guys and grab some FAs.

If it gets tight eventually, then yes, we have a couple other guys where we could free up room. But there is no "need" right now.

Edited by DrDareustein

I wonder who the new TBD whipping boy will be once Kelsay leaves? Any thoughts? I guess Fitz is still there or whomever his replacement is. I predict that by the end of next season it will Eric Pears.

As someone else mentioned, Aaron Williams is the runaway favorite. But my darkhorse donkey is Cordy Glenn. Everyone is counting on him to be a stud left tackle like it is a fact. They did the same kinda' thing with Dareus last offseason. It was just assumed that he would just continue his ascension.

What we continually find out here is that the bar is set pretty low for Bills players. The talent pool on the team has been shallow for many years now so there is often very little competition for a lot of spots. There is far too much out-of-shape and underachieve in the recent past of this team. Also, way too many players going on IR. Hopefully Marrone can change the culture of failure, but beware the bad-body fat guys like Dareus and Glenn. If Cordy turns into a decent but inconsistent LT then the whips will be out.

Some fans, including myself, gave Dareus a pass for this past season due to his brother getting murdered.

Next season fans will be keeping an eye on him. But I think Aaron Williams is the one that will be getting more scrutiny

People grieve differently. Dude's kid brother was killed, he gets a pass for as long as it takes to get over it. Hopefully next year but if not he gets another pass.