Keurig K-Cups: Best and/or Cheapest?

Gugny

So ... As predicted, after caving in and getting my wife a Keurig last November for her birthday, the k-cups are practically forcing me to get a second job. Looking for any suggestions for decent, yet inexpensive, coffee.

I have been experimenting with anything I can find on sale.

So far, I think the New England French Roast taste the best and I was able to get them on sale for $6.99 for 12 cups.

Anyone know of a better deal?

LOL! My wife was just telling me that the prices for K-cups are going up and she wants to find them cheaper. I told her that waiting for a Kohl's sale and 20%+ coupon is the best bet. Either that or using the reusable K-cup with her own choice of coffee, but she likes specific K-cup coffees that aren't available in bulk.

Best deal I've found is at Costco. Tully's House Blend. Box of 80 for $37. They have other brands there as well, but Tully's has been my go to for the past year.

There was a time you could get good prices at Amazon using Subscribe and Save, but the prices fluctuated too much from month to month. The re-usable k-cup basket is fine for many, but I drink way too much coffee to empty and clean that little thing after each cup.

Reusable k cups are the way to go.

That is what I was thinking if we decided to change to that format. Then you can use anything you like, even grind it yourself if you wish. I am under the impression the resusable K-Cups also need little filters. Basically this turns the machine into a small format brewer... Right?

Was getting a couple things at Hannaford yesterday and coffee was on the list. They had one of those little kiosks set up with samples ... of coffee! It was a new Starbucks flavor (blonde) so after discovering it wasn't some flavored crap, I gave it a shot. It was very good. And I got a $1 off coupon, so I went back to aisle 4 to see if they had it in K-Cups and lo and behold, they did. Came to $7.00 for 12 after the coupon - which I can deal with. After having a cup this morning, however, I still prefer the New England French Roast.

My sister has the keurig, I think she found a place that sells them and makes some custom one too in Niagara. The Keurig really is just a single serve coffee maker that requires you to buy their specialty packaging for soffee

My wife has the Tassimo, that is supposed to be different because it reads a barcode to tell it whats being brewed and how to do it. I tried it a few times and am not a fan because I find that it makes too small of a cup unless you want it watered down.

Cost wise, both are going to cost you less then going to a Tim Hortons/Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts, etc, but its more expensive then just using a regular coffee maker to brew a cup

I have a Keurig for my office, but don't drink a ton of coffee (maybe a cup a day).

So, I basically ask for and get a bunch of K-cups for my birthday or Christmas, which last me a while. The one time I bought some, I did so off of amazon for pretty cheap (donut shop blend).

I like Tully's and the Barista Coffee Blend/Columbian the best probably.

After writing this, I now feel like brewing a cup!

Was getting a couple things at Hannaford yesterday and coffee was on the list. They had one of those little kiosks set up with samples ... of coffee! It was a new Starbucks flavor (blonde) so after discovering it wasn't some flavored crap, I gave it a shot. It was very good. And I got a $1 off coupon, so I went back to aisle 4 to see if they had it in K-Cups and lo and behold, they did. Came to $7.00 for 12 after the coupon - which I can deal with. After having a cup this morning, however, I still prefer the New England French Roast.

Just curious... So it is 7 bucks for 12 cups of coffee. How many cups does a normal pound of coffee yield? I don't drink the stuff but, when I shop... You can pick up nice coffe for 7-10 bucks a bag...

IMO, seems kinda expensive if you don't go the reusable K-Cup route? Is it really that much more convienent throwing those little cups away?

I like the idea about making tea and other things though... Our current Krups coffee maker is nearing the end... Seriously considering the K-Cup thing. I think the reusable thing will seal the deal.

Just curious... So it is 7 bucks for 12 cups of coffee. How many cups does a normal pound of coffee yield? I don't drink the stuff but, when I shop... You can pick up nice coffe for 7-10 bucks a bag...

IMO, seems kinda expensive if you don't go the reusable K-Cup route? Is it really that much more convienent throwing those little cups away?

I like the idea about making tea and other things though... Our current Krups coffee maker is nearing the end... Seriously considering the K-Cup thing. I think the reusable thing will seal the deal.

A big container of Folger's, which is what we drank prior to the Keurig, is up to about $11. That probably lasted us 2-3 weeks. The Keurig is undoubtedly more expensive, but one of the benefits that's come from it as that I'm drinking far less coffee. We were drinking too much and we were also wasting a lot. Every morning before work, we would inevitably pour leftover coffee down the drain. And on weekends, I'd make a 12-cup pot and drink the whole thing (mind you, a "cup" is not a regular cup of coffee, so I wasn't really drinking 12 cups ... but it was at least 5) and that is very unhealthy.

And the overall quality of the coffee is just better. The Tulley's that JR mentioned is very good, as are many other brands. Since I'm not really picky, I will continue to just get what's on sale. My wife likes the Donut Shop stuff, which is a little more expensive. But she drinks one cup/day on average, where I drink 2/day on average. I've gotten the Price Chopper and Hannaford brand K-cups and enjoyed them thoroughly.

The convenience is great, as well as the efficiency. I acutally like the thing quite a bit.

Cost wise, both are going to cost you less then going to a Tim Hortons/Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts, etc, but its more expensive then just using a regular coffee maker to brew a cup

Lost on some people is that while the Keurig is sold as a single-serve coffee maker, what it really is is a single-serve hot water dispenser. In our house, anyway, that means I'm no longer trying to figure out if my wife is having coffee or tea in the morning because I'm not making a pot of anything. She also makes fresh iced tea all day long, or can quickly have hot water for oatmeal or a quick hot chocolate for my son. It's great when we have company over because it eliminates the whole "I'll have a cup if you're making some" routine.

Lost on some people is that while the Keurig is sold as a single-serve coffee maker, what it really is is a single-serve hot water dispenser. In our house, anyway, that means I'm no longer trying to figure out if my wife is having coffee or tea in the morning because I'm not making a pot of anything. She also makes fresh iced tea all day long, or can quickly have hot water for oatmeal or a quick hot chocolate for my son. It's great when we have company over because it eliminates the whole "I'll have a cup if you're making some" routine.

Excellent points. Also, my son can make his own hot chocolate without the hassle or the mess.

I use ours for tea since I can't drink caffeine. In to the specialty teas and kind of enjoying blending different flavors.

For buying K cups of coffee we just check Amazon to see if there are any deals on Green Mountain.

Edited by Dante

Thanks! You are swaying me towards it as the next machine! The single serve thing "hot water" thing is what's cool. IMO, the reusuable format is what's sealing the deal. We will probably try different products already in the K-Cup format but, not being hemmed into a proprietary machine/format for the consumable part (coffee) is a real must!

My bunn works great. Keurig is a marketing scheme

I agree to a point. They are trying to market it so as people get into the habit of buying the consumable (coffee) already prefilled (@ a much greater price). Guess it is convenience. With the refillable cups and mini filters IMO, it becomes viable. Like LA said, it is a single serve machine. My wife is the only one who drinks coffee. She makes one of two cups each in a regular (Krups) machine... Just put less water and coffee... BUT you waste bigger filters.

I could never see this floating in a bygone era... ESPECIALLY w/my parents and in-laws!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I do all of that with my Bunn too. As long as you don't put grounds in between the water and the pot, all coffee makers are hot water dispensers.

I do all of that with my Bunn too. As long as you don't put grounds in between the water and the pot, all coffee makers are hot water dispensers.

Exactly. That is what I was pointing out. Yet, the convenience (with other types of hot drinks) thing and portion control of the Keurig seems to be superior w/the use of the resusable K-Cups and mini filters IF it really brews as fast as people say. Again, if they never would have a introduced the resusable K-Cups, I would say that the system was problematic. I think we are gonna give it a whirl once the our current Krups bites the big one.

IF it really brews as fast as people say.

It does. The only thing that takes time is heating up when it first turns on; three minutes. I program the auto-on for 5 a.m., come down in the morning, put in a coffee pod and have a fresh cup in the time it takes to open some Splenda (for my wife's cup).

Another upside, and this is purely subjective but one of the main reasons I bought the system; every cup is that first, fresh cup. I'm not a fan of the last cup sitting in the bottom of the pot for two hours.

It's definitely more expensive than a regular coffee maker, and if you can't get over that fact, then it's not for you. But I've been using one for about four years and while the K-cup is a lot of things, the one thing it's not is a marketing gimmick.

Edited by LABillzFan

We used a Tassimo for years, and switched to the new Starbucks Verismo a few months ago. Didn't go with a K-Cup machine because we really like Starbucks, and although they also sell K-Cups I tried the Verismo stuff and really enjoyed it. My wife drinks one cup a day -- I drink two (maybe three on the weekend). We don't drink teas or hot chocolate, so that variety wasn't appealing to us -- we just want really good coffee without having to make a pot for the 3-4 cups we drink, combined, each morning. The quality on the Verismo is outstanding. Cost is about a buck a cup, so it's certainly not the most budget-conscious option, but I do the auto-renewal of supply so it's very convenient.

By the way, SNL did a hilarious Verismo spoof recently: SNL Starbucks

It does. The only thing that takes time is heating up when it first turns on; three minutes. I program the auto-on for 5 a.m., come down in the morning, put in a coffee pod and have a fresh cup in the time it takes to open some Splenda (for my wife's cup).

Another upside, and this is purely subjective but one of the main reasons I bought the system; every cup is that first, fresh cup. I'm not a fan of the last cup sitting in the bottom of the pot for two hours.

It's definitely more expensive than a regular coffee maker, and if you can't get over that fact, then it's not for you. But I've been using one for about four years and while the K-cup is a lot of things, the one thing it's not is a marketing gimmick.

In my short time of being a Keurig owner/user, I think this is a very fair assessment.

Thanks! You are a great spokesman for the thing! Got me sold... I don't drink coffee but, I can see myself getting on a cocoa or tea kick! LoL...

There seems to be a newer one out too? The vue or something? It is a bit bigger, has a touch screen I think? Anybody have that one?

Thanks! You are a great spokesman for the thing! Got me sold... I don't drink coffee but, I can see myself getting on a cocoa or tea kick! LoL...

There seems to be a newer one out too? The vue or something? It is a bit bigger, has a touch screen I think? Anybody have that one?

Vue looks nice. The knock (at this point in time) is that the vue cups are not easy to locate. Traditional k-cups won't fit.

I think they released the Vue in anticipation of their k-cup patent running out last year. Apparently Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, who makes the Keurig k-cup system, manufactures all the k-cups for all coffee brands. There was speculation that once the patent expired, everyone would make a k-cup, but it never materialized, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vue go away since the k-cup remains successful and virtually unthreatened.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2012/11/28/the-k-cup-patent-is-dead-long-live-the-k-cup/

Not on topic, but I'm gonna say my piece. I have a Cuisinart coffee maker. I buy a bag of good coffee (Usually Spot Coffee here in Buffalo) every two weeks or so for 12 bucks. I make 2 cups of coffee, 2 scoops, pot filled to the 6 cup mark. Makes me two nice, strong 12oz cups. I drink both before I go to work. That's it. I cannot imagine how a K-cup would work for me or anyone who has two cups a morning and could just do what I do.

When I saw how expensive the machines were and how much each cup of coffee is with a K-cup, I flat out could not understand it.

I believe it is a marketing sell which is taking in alot of people that have no need to for a 1 cup at a time experience.

how exactly do you reuse Keurig cups?

I bought one of the reusable filters a few weeks ago to try to save some money over the 1-time use k-cups. It's pretty good, just put your favorite coffee grinds in there, close the lid and drop it in the Keurig just like any other k-cup. I agree with the other poster that it can get kind of tiresome to wash out the used grinds but hey, i feel like it's worth it. I save the "real" k-cups for those mornings when i am in a rush with the kids getting them to school (and then me to work). On the weekends or evenings I always use the reusable filter.

http://www.roastmast...CFQYGnQodC2UAyg

Edited by zow2

I think they released the Vue in anticipation of their k-cup patent running out last year. Apparently Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, who makes the Keurig k-cup system, manufactures all the k-cups for all coffee brands. There was speculation that once the patent expired, everyone would make a k-cup, but it never materialized, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vue go away since the k-cup remains successful and virtually unthreatened.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2012/11/28/the-k-cup-patent-is-dead-long-live-the-k-cup/

I had a hunch there had to a be patent issue thing. I never looked it up but, thought since they are making refillable cups... Something has to be expiring. Anyway, how long have the Keurigs been around. Patents gotta be 15 years or so?

Not on topic, but I'm gonna say my piece. I have a Cuisinart coffee maker. I buy a bag of good coffee (Usually Spot Coffee here in Buffalo) every two weeks or so for 12 bucks. I make 2 cups of coffee, 2 scoops, pot filled to the 6 cup mark. Makes me two nice, strong 12oz cups. I drink both before I go to work. That's it. I cannot imagine how a K-cup would work for me or anyone who has two cups a morning and could just do what I do.

When I saw how expensive the machines were and how much each cup of coffee is with a K-cup, I flat out could not understand it.

I believe it is a marketing sell which is taking in alot of people that have no need to for a 1 cup at a time experience.

That is kinda how my wife brews the coffee she drinks. Yet, she won't drink it all. It can just sit there... And for the scary part: for days! Then it gets nuked in the microwave repeatedly! It is always a premium grind/bean she uses... Sometimes flavored coffee, like cinnamon hazelnut or what not! Nothing else, no sugar... Milk/cream..

I am so interested in trying the K-Cup! Looks cool. I guess they got me in on the marketing hook! I am just scared she will revert to her old brewing habits and I will be on the hook for the machine! LoL then I we will be running out buying another Krups or Braun... :-O

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Best deal I've found is at Costco. Tully's House Blend. Box of 80 for $37. They have other brands there as well, but Tully's has been my go to for the past year.

My favorite is Tully's Italian but I like pretty much all the Tully's line more than anything else available on the Keurig.

The reusable k-cups are the way to go - no waste and way cheaper. I love Peet's coffee, but the don't make K-cups. Even though they are one of the pricier brands in the supermarket, the cost is less than half of what regular K-cups would cost.

Cleaning in rinsing the reuable cup is no big deal - dump the grounds and rinse - well worth the cost savings.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am the only coffee drinker in the house - my wife can't stand coffee. Having a single serve machine is perfact for that situation. I brew a cup as soon as I get up, and another to drink in the car - works well.

I do sometimes buy K-cups if I know I'm having company and will want to make a bunch of cups back to back or if I see something interesting in K-cup selection (I bought some cups that make half and half iced/tea lemonade - tasty - I'm saving those for summer).

Sam's Club has K-cups and many different brands. Usually I get 80 K-Cups for 37.00 to 39.00. That's how we buy them.

The re-usable filter thing is ok but to me it's a pain in the ass!

We had a nice Bunn coffee maker but the K-cups is the way to go!