E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Manuel do well at the Senior Bowl against top rated defensive players?

I have no doubt he will be a good NFL QB

CBF

I'm uncertain how much it really matters at the end of the day...But Manuel clearly appeared to be the best Sr Bowl QB on game day...The reports I heard said that he was basically average during the week...But once they hit the field it was not even close...He looked comfortable and in control...The rest of the QB's? Not so much...Which is actually more of the norm for QB's during the Sr Bowl game...

I think as far as pure upside goes Manuel is clearly the best QB in this Draft...His ceiling is the highest...Even better than Geno's ceiling which is pretty high...Manuel is just a little raw right now, but so was Cam Newton...And I realize Newton was a better prospect overall, but there were tons of Scouts questioning Newton's ability to come in and be effective right away...He was REALLY raw...Carolina ignored that, designed an Offense around Cam's strengths, and the rest is history...Meaning he actually made history as a Rookie QB...

I agree with Mike Mayock 100% on this one...In this Draft every QB has question marks...If I'm going to gamble on any of these kids I'm gambling on the 6-5-237 QB who runs in the low 4.6 range and has serious arm talent...There is absolutely no question that Manuel has elite qualities...And he also has a ton to work on...But I'm comfortable with the Bills Drafting him, even at #8, more than any other QB in this Draft...I fully realize there is plenty of risk involved with Manuel...But the potential reward seems worth it in his case...I think he's going to be a hard working kid who will want to be the best... B-)

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm uncertain how much it really matters at the end of the day...But Manuel clearly appeared to be the best Sr Bowl QB on game day...The reports I heard said that he was basically average during the week...But once they hit the field it was not even close...He looked comfortable and in control...The rest of the QB's? Not so much...Which is actually more of the norm for QB's during the Sr Bowl game...

I think as far as pure upside goes Manuel is clearly the best QB in this Draft...His ceiling is the highest...Even better than Geno's ceiling which is pretty high...Manuel is just a little raw right now, but so was Cam Newton...And I realize Newton was a better prospect overall, but there were tons of Scouts questioning Newton's ability to come in and be effective right away...He was REALLY raw...Carolina ignored that, designed an Offense around Cam's strengths, and the rest is history...Meaning he actually made history as a Rookie QB...

I agree with Mike Mayock 100% on this one...In this Draft every QB has question marks...If I'm going to gamble on any of these kids I'm gambling on the 6-5-237 QB who runs in the low 4.6 range and has serious arm talent...There is absolutely no question that Manuel has elite qualities...And he also has a ton to work on...But I'm comfortable with the Bills Drafting him, even at #8, more than any other QB in this Draft...I fully realize there is plenty of risk involved with Manuel...But the potential reward seems worth it in his case...I think he's going to be a hard working kid who will want to be the best... B-)

Well put!

CBF

Manuel isn't being talked about at the top of round 1 because of his inconsistency. He's got all the tools, and has put it all together for some games, but not the week in and week out you'd like to see. For comparison's sake, The Clemson game from this past season was one of his best games in his career. The UF game from this past season was one of the worst of his career. Most of his flaws are the type that seem to be coachable. Also, once we suffered a few injuries to the OL, pass protection suffered.

SJBF, in the NC St game, EJ didn't play great, but Jimbo hurt the team. FSU got a 16-0 lead at the half, and Jimbo went into a shell in the second half by sitting on the ball and trying to run out the clock instead of letting the offense continue to operate normally. EJ did make mistakes in the game and i'm not dismissing those, but he also was not put in the best position to succeed.

Just to clarify a few points i've seen that are blatant lies:

Myth: The Seminoles ran a simplified offense for EJ. The offense wasn't simplified at all. It was a short to intermediate based passing game. EJ rarely thrwe the ball deep, and a lot of us FSU fans were frustrated that Jimbo wasn't calling plays to get the ball downfield more. EJ"s not dumb or stupid. There was no need to "simplify" anything.

Myth: EJ can't run the read option. There are 2 things wrong with this statement. First, the 'Noles did not run the read-option. EJ was never asked to run the read option. They ran plenty of traditional option plays, but not the read option. There's a difference between the 2. The read-option is where the QB hands the ball off from a standstill or keeps it. the traditional option, which FSU runs sometimes, is when the QB and RB roll out, and the QB either keeps or pitches out. Second, EJ runs the traditional option as best as anyone i've seen. He knows when to keep and when to pitch out, but more importantly, he knows the perfect time to make the pitch. there were numerous time you'd think he was going to get tackled for no gain, and at the last second, he sucked in the defender and made the pitch, allowing our RB to easily gain 10-15 yards.

I have a love/hate relationship with EJ. He was one of my favorite players on FSU, but his maddening inconsistency led to numerous 4 letters being slung in his direction during some games. However, i'll gladly continue yelling at him if Buffalo drafts him. To me, he's got the highest ceiling, and in a draft with no sure things, thats the reason to choose him.

Edited by Ramius

I was talking about the Florida and NCSt games.

Gotcha. Thanks.

The UF game from this past season was one of the worst of his career. Most of his flaws are the type that seem to be coachable. Also, once we suffered a few injuries to the OL, pass protection suffered.

SJBF, in the NC St game, EJ didn't play great, but Jimbo hurt the team. FSU got a 16-0 lead at the half, and Jimbo went into a shell in the second half by sitting on the ball and trying to run out the clock instead of letting the offense continue to operate normally. EJ did make mistakes in the game and i'm not dismissing those, but he also was not put in the best position to succeed.

Thanks Ramius.

I'd like to see the video of the Florida and NC State games but they're not available.

But I've seen enough to keep my convictions about him.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Thanks Ramius.

I'd like to see the video of the Florida and NC State games but they're not available.

But I've seen enough to keep my convictions about him.

Love these too. I don't know what they mean either other than to remind myself how far away I am from being a pro athlete!

I'm starting to come around on Manuel. He has the size and athletic ability, he's got the smarts, and he's got just as good a shot as any to be the best qb in this draft.

I'm starting to come around on Manuel. He has the size and athletic ability, he's got the smarts, and he's got just as good a shot as any to be the best qb in this draft.

Bingo. -Quote of the day, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by #34fan

Manuel is the one QB in this drat that I would like to see the Bills draft. He is not, however, a top 8 pick, and the likelihood of him lasting to the Bills in the 2nd is low. He would be selected by one of the QB hungry teams ahead of us in the 2nd; therefore, I say, if the Bills want him, roll the dice and do something to pick up a late 1st round pick.

This. I'd say there is a decent chance Manuel is on the board when we select in the 3rd.

I think that Manuel's stock has gone up in the post season. I see him late first early second. I like him better than any other QB in the draft. He is the best of a bad lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLEMyMkDdU

This is potentially meaningless, but I am a big fan of ESPN's Sport Science and found this interesting.

As am I...it's like candy for people like myself, who (1) fancy themselves the athletic type, (2) are gigantic nerds, and (3) can't get enough football.

Count me among those that remain very, very high on EJ

Edited by thebandit27

Manuel isn't being talked about at the top of round 1 because of his inconsistency. He's got all the tools, and has put it all together for some games, but not the week in and week out you'd like to see. For comparison's sake, The Clemson game from this past season was one of his best games in his career. The UF game from this past season was one of the worst of his career. Most of his flaws are the type that seem to be coachable. Also, once we suffered a few injuries to the OL, pass protection suffered.

Just to clarify a few points i've seen that are blatant lies:

Myth: The Seminoles ran a simplified offense for EJ. The offense wasn't simplified at all. It was a short to intermediate based passing game. EJ rarely thrwe the ball deep, and a lot of us FSU fans were frustrated that Jimbo wasn't calling plays to get the ball downfield more. EJ"s not dumb or stupid. There was no need to "simplify" anything.

Myth: EJ can't run the read option. There are 2 things wrong with this statement. First, the 'Noles did not run the read-option. EJ was never asked to run the read option. They ran plenty of traditional option plays, but not the read option. There's a difference between the 2. The read-option is where the QB hands the ball off from a standstill or keeps it. the traditional option, which FSU runs sometimes, is when the QB and RB roll out, and the QB either keeps or pitches out. Second, EJ runs the traditional option as best as anyone i've seen. He knows when to keep and when to pitch out, but more importantly, he knows the perfect time to make the pitch. there were numerous time you'd think he was going to get tackled for no gain, and at the last second, he sucked in the defender and made the pitch, allowing our RB to easily gain 10-15 yards.

I have a love/hate relationship with EJ. He was one of my favorite players on FSU, but his maddening inconsistency led to numerous 4 letters being slung in his direction during some games. However, i'll gladly continue yelling at him if Buffalo drafts him. To me, he's got the highest ceiling, and in a draft with no sure things, thats the reason to choose him.

Your one of the few posters on this board that actually know what they are talking about when it comes to Manuel. Thanks.

What I would love to see is one of 2 things. The Bills stay @ 8 draft the BPA(there is going to be a good lineman on either side of the ball available @ 8) & then trade back up in the 1st round to draft EJ. Or see if we could do a trade down & grab Manuel & possibly pick up an extra 2nd round pick where we could go WR & LB with the 2 picks. With that being said, I would not be totally disappointed if we stayed @ 8 & drafted Manuel/Smith/Barkley. I think all three of these kids could be franchise QBs. What did Ernie Accorsi used to say. If you pass on a franchise QB in the draft you spend the next decade regretting it. I know people are down on Barkley(he is not t-shirt & shorts QB, meaning he is not going to wow you in any pro day & throw 50 yard lasors from his knees thru the Goal Posts like Kyle Boller or J Russell) but he is a game day qb which means he is best on Saturdays. Look at his numbers they are terrific. & more importantly the kid has got a good head on his shoulders. I could honestly see him becoming a Drew Brees type QB.

.... but he is a game day qb which means he is best on Saturdays. Look at his numbers they are terrific. & more importantly the kid has got a good head on his shoulders. I could honestly see him becoming a Drew Brees type QB.

He is great on Saturdays with two tremendous WRs against PAC-10 defenses. I agree that he has a "good head and shoulders". However, there is at least some legitimate concern that his arm might not be good enough to thrive in the NFL. Note that I did not say that his arm might not be "elite", but if he doesn't have at least adequate arm strength, he will have limited success in the NFL. I thought Chad Pennington would have been a top-eschelon NFL QB if he had a tad bit better arm - but he didn't and he was just middle-of-the-road who his team was always trying to replace.