NFL threatens man who trademarked "Harbowl" last year

Fezmid

Mr. Fox: I made 20 t-shirts that I planned to sell for 10 bucks a piece so it will only be 200 bucks I make off of it.

NFL: Well that's 200 bucks that we wont be making. YOU'RE COSTING US 0.00000001% OF OUR REVENUE!!!

bunch of assclowns in the NFL.

Most people aren't familiar with the law in regards to copyright and trademark. It is also much scarier when you get sued by an avalanche like the NFL than it is talking about someone getting sued.

If you think the NFL is bad, look at the Olympics (I'm probably going to get a legal nastygram on just using that word).

And this is precisely why I do not buy NFL Sunday Ticket, buy jerseys, and so on. I'll watch a Bills game only if it happens to come over the airwaves -- which where I live is about once or twice per year. Otherwise, I'll listen to it on WGR. However, I will not financially support these greedy bastards. Oh, I may occasionally attempt to attend a game, but even that is pretty rare for me. If the NFL didn't act this way I'd feel differently. Hell, didn't they even give our beloved TBD crap for a while? They can go to hell.

They wouldn't even give him some colts tickets. Wow, that's just sad. I really feel bad for the guy, but he should have consulted a lawyer

The Colts should step up and give this guy tix to at least one game.

I like that the guy a least tried to get Colts tix... I mean if you ask, the worst they can say is 'no.'

Edited by judman

And this is precisely why I do not buy NFL Sunday Ticket, buy jerseys, and so on. I'll watch a Bills game only if it happens to come over the airwaves -- which where I live is about once or twice per year. Otherwise, I'll listen to it on WGR. However, I will not financially support these greedy bastards. Oh, I may occasionally attempt to attend a game, but even that is pretty rare for me. If the NFL didn't act this way I'd feel differently. Hell, didn't they even give our beloved TBD crap for a while? They can go to hell.

good for you! standing on principle.....but it appears the NFL is doing mighty fine without you

That is the NFL for you. It is the biggest sport in the country, and just imagine how big it could be if it were run by people who weren't clueless. Bullying people out of their legal rights. Fine Tom Brady $10,000 for intentionally (yet girlishly) kicking an opponent in the groin, yet fine Frank Gore $10,500 because his socks were too low?

A TON of high profile, or non high-profile lawyers, would love to have handled this case I'm sure just to get their name out on ESPN, etc. Some prob would have taken it for free. Great marketing, and even if this guy ended up abandoning it, it would have landed him some $$$ and tickets. He simply caved. When a bully threatens you with legal action in such an aggressive manner, fight back. The burden of proof was on the NFL, and if he got a lawyer and press time, this would have made the NFL look terrible and a settlement would have been reached rather quickly.

That is the NFL for you. It is the biggest sport in the country, and just imagine how big it could be if it were run by people who weren't clueless. Bullying people out of their legal rights. Fine Tom Brady $10,000 for intentionally (yet girlishly) kicking an opponent in the groin, yet fine Frank Gore $10,500 because his socks were too low?

This is also true.

NBA : "Where Amazing Happens"

MLB: "Beyond Baseball"

WNBA: "Expect Great"

NFL: "Show Me The Money"

Here is a correction: The NFL and NHL are still the best leagues. We only complain because we love them so much. If MLB had done this, no one would care because its a joke.

NBA: "what's defense?"

MLB: What's a salary cap??"

WNBA: "What are TV ratings? Anyone watching this?"

NFL: "Any team can win, just don't mess w/ our money"

All leagues are a business. The NFL was doing what it wanted to, this guy should have fought back. The NFL combines the best blend of business and competitive balance out there.

Another example of the ridiculous trademark laws in the US.

Actually, it's not. It's an example of what happens when you don't hire a lawyer to protect your trademark rights. If he has hired a lawyer, he would have made money. Perhaps you prefer the Chinese system where people don't get paid for their creativity?

Edited by RyanC883

When the Super Bowl was in Indy the NFL and their marketing people made sure to thwart any use on non approved NFL product. They are ruthless and it does not matter if it is only $200 ...it is the principle to them. Operation fake sweep (no lie) lead the to confiscate 42000 illiegal Super Bowl items. read the story here: http://normantranscript.com/superbowl/x2053732537/NFL-works-to-protect-copyright-as-Brady-admits-illegal-viewing

The Colts should step up and give this guy tix to at least one game.

I like that the guy a least tried to get Colts tix... I mean if you ask, the worst they can say is 'no.'

He actually lost money in this because he filled for licensing papers which cost around $1000. He should get a return on that

In other news.....

NFL wanted to trademark the "the Big Game" but backed out when Cal-Berkely and Stanford fought them on it because they reference their rivalry that way and Megamillions used to be called The Big Game.