Tom Brady's Sissy Kick

Can't believe I'm defending Brady, and I'm really not, because you obviously shouldn't put your leg up, but picture yourself in the following scenario:

You're on the ground. You've got the body style of Brady. Ed Reed collides into your leg--full speed--as you're on the ground, motionless.

You really saying that's not potentially going to cause serious damage to Brady...more so than Reed? He could've snapped his freaking ankle. I can't believe so many people don't see that.

theres a link to the video in this thread. you can't kick a defender.....i'm not sure what you are looking at.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your the ref- you throw the flag and then what's the call you make?

Personal Foul..Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

What other similar plays were fined?

Never seen a QB do a baseball style take out slide before, but you have to consider the defensmen on that to be "defenseless" at it is completely unexpected and Reed looked as if he was going to jump over him to avoid contact. That kind of action could have caused serious injury...imagine if Reeds leg was planted.

Never seen a QB do a baseball style take out slide before, but you have to consider the defensmen on that to be "defenseless" at it is completely unexpected and Reed looked as if he was going to jump over him to avoid contact. That kind of action could have caused serious injury...imagine if Reeds leg was planted.

i can 100% say its certainly not a defenseless player as reed was not one of the 9(?) defined defenseless types of players, and wasnt defenseless as he was able to jump and try to avoid it.

whether its some sort of unsportsmanlike is possible but i think the nfl has a different gap between "kick" and "contacted with foot" than most posters do. not trying to be a jerk on that but if they fine him 20k+ and face appeals from the NFLPA, the nfl will need to have its ducks in a row here. without precedent or a better defined rule i think an appeal is at best 50-50 for the nfl.

45]

JUST IN - Tom Brady is being reviewed by league officials for his slide/kick in AFC Championship (via @Edwerderespn)

Here's Ed's tweet:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

NFL will review Tom Brady play for possible discipline for appearing as though he tried to defend himself by kicking at Ed Reed

Can't believe I'm defending Brady, and I'm really not, because you obviously shouldn't put your leg up, but picture yourself in the following scenario:

You're on the ground. You've got the body style of Brady. Ed Reed collides into your leg--full speed--as you're on the ground, motionless.

You really saying that's not potentially going to cause serious damage to Brady...more so than Reed? He could've snapped his freaking ankle. I can't believe so many people don't see that.

I can't believe you or anyone else would defend Brady on this either. He could have hurt his ankle? Yes, as much as someone punching another guy in the face risks hurting his knuckles I guess. That is assinine. He intentionally kicked Reed on his planted knee, luckily for Reed his foot did not get stck on the turf or he could have been seriously injured. Brady's intention was just as clear as N Suh when he kicked Rogers and he should be punished accordingly. If you are sliding to "avoid contact" which is the intent of the rule, you would "get small" , not kick your leg as high as possible while someone is jumping over you.

Honest question: what's the penalty? I've never seen a raised leg called on a slide.

Not sure, but if he's gonna do that then he shouldn't be untaouchable when he slides. Maybe a new rule for that-"If the sliding QB intiates contact with a player trying to avoid them-then they are not considered down and can be hit."

We have two "Brady" rules already: tuck rule, and can't hit the legs. Why not a third one?

By the by... Pats haven't won a Super Bowl since they got caught cheating.

Here's Ed's tweet:

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

NFL will review Tom Brady play for possible discipline for appearing as though he tried to defend himself by kicking at Ed Reed

Ahhh the classic Boston defense. They went with that "he was just defending himself thing" last year when one of their hockey players (Marchand) who had a history of going low into the knees of guys who were about to hit him.

i can 100% say its certainly not a defenseless player as reed not one of the 9(?) defined defenseless types of players, and wasnt defenseless as he was able to jump and try to avoid it.

whether its some sort of unsportsmanlike is possible but i think the nfl has a different gap between "kick" and "contacted with foot" than most posters do. not trying to be a jerk on that but if they fine him 20k+ and face appeals from the NFLPA, the nfl will need to have its ducks in a row here. without precedent or a better defined rule i think an appeal is at best 50-50 for the nfl.

dude, remember the Kyle Williams, no penalty, grazed Brady's leg fine? Come on?

Someone posted the rule. Thought it said they don't even have to make contact when kicking or punching. Just the attempt. It does seem it could be a judgement call, but what ref in his right mind is going to not give Brady a judgment call.

I don't even think it is 50/50 if they peruse this. If your Suh, 100% chance the league takes action. If your Brady, 0% chance. Everyone else is between.

Edited by JaxBills

theres a link to the video in this thread. you can't kick a defender.....i'm not sure what you are looking at.

Last time, a kick should be a penalty. All I'm saying is that it was more dangerous to Brady than Reed. His leg was exposed in the air.

I remember when I played soccer as a lad, I slid, attempting to kick the ball. Someone ran into my leg. He was fine. I was in serious pain.

Last time, a kick should be a penalty. All I'm saying is that it was more dangerous to Brady than Reed. His leg was exposed in the air.

I remember when I played soccer as a lad, I slid, attempting to kick the ball. Someone ran into my leg. He was fine. I was in serious pain.

sounds like you don't drink enough milk. :D :D.

Leading with the helmet is also more dangerous for the person doing it. Doesn't mean it's not/shouldn't draw a penalty/fine.

Leading with the helmet is also more dangerous for the person doing it. Doesn't mean it's not/shouldn't draw a penalty/fine.

sounds like you don't drink enough milk. :D :D.

I do hate milk with a passion.

I do hate milk with a passion.

You are absolutely right! It should have drawn a fine.

Even though a gif of the play is in THIS THREAD multiple times it still appears you haven't seen the play. That said the most comical thing is "the body style of Brady" he is 6'4" and 225 pounds! Ed Reed is 5'11" and 205. He has 5 inches and 20 pounds but needs to cover up and protect himself?!? He could've snapped his ankle because it was so high! If he slid normally his ankle/foot would have been nowhere in the line of fire...

As soon as I saw this play I thought of the wristband Brady wore with the phrase "find #20 (Reed) on every play," there is no assumption to make other than it was intentional. How beneficial would it have been for the Pats* if Reed missed the second half?