Now that the coaching carousel has stopped-- how did the Bills do?

Casey D

Hopefully we'll get a few.

Right, because Spiller, Johnson, Jackson, Levitre, Wood, Chandler, Nelson, Glenn all aren't? I forgot...the Bills have the worst talent in the league...32nd out of 32nd at every position...

What a joke! The Bills hired an (old retread/inexperienced nobody). They should have (acted quickly/waited till the SB was over) instead of (acting quickly/waiting till the SB was over). I wanted an (experienced NFL coach/up-and-coming college coach) and instead we hired an (old retread/inexperienced nobody). I'm so done with this team!

PTR

We hired Marv again?

I like Marrone but I agree with Sully that some of the assistant hires were "uninspired." I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see Hackett taking on Bill B*. Time will tell.

I felt bad for Cleveland fans when they hired someone so uninspired as "Chud," but now I'm jealous - wouldn't you guys want Norv and Horton as your OC and DC, respectively?

I like Marrone but I agree with Sully that some of the assistant hires were "uninspired." I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see Hackett taking on Bill B*. Time will tell.

I felt bad for Cleveland fans when they hired someone so uninspired as "Chud," but now I'm jealous - wouldn't you guys want Norv and Horton as your OC and DC, respectively?

Why couldn't Hackett take on Bill B? It's not Bill B who beats us most of the time . It's Tom Brady. So I'm more concerned with how Pettine will handle Tom Brady. Look what Bill B was before Tom Brady came along. Not much of a head coach from what I can remember. How did it go in Cleveland? I suspect the same is true for Hackett. If he ends up with a franchise quarterback, he will be considered a very good coach. Also, why would I want Norv Turner as my offensive coordinator? He 's a retread if there ever was one. He did a horrible job in San Diego even with a franchise quarterback. I do admit that Horton is a good defensive coordinator, but why would I be jealous when we got one that may actually be better in Pettine.

I don't want Norv Turner anywhere near my franchise.

We just saw this movie with Wannstache, his offensive reflection.

And you can take Chud with him.

So that would be hard and fast no.

Don't want that mess in Buffalo.

• Personally, I like the hire. Marrone is an NFL guy that went back to the college ranks to gain some HC experience. I love the hire of Pettine and I think that Hacket will surprise people. He comes from a coaching family and seems to have a good football intellect. I like the mixture of ex-NFL players in the position coaches. I believe this will prove to be a good hire, but as others have stated, time will tell.

I'm with you on this. The only hire I didn't like was the ST coach.

Right, because Spiller, Johnson, Jackson, Levitre, Wood, Chandler, Nelson, Glenn all aren't? I forgot...the Bills have the worst talent in the league...32nd out of 32nd at every position...

Wood, Nelson, Jackson and Chandler are not durable. Where did someone say the Bills had the "worst talent in the league"? Oh, you made that up as a straw man to counterpoint? I see.

Anyway, there is a lot of room for more talent on this team, which is flush with "depth" guys....

Most of these coaches are young and I like that. They will be fiery and aggressive. The years of older coaches always harping about ethics and commitment is nice and all, but that only goes so far. Coaches that can get under your skin and really make you dig deeper will be younger and more likely to openly challenge you. This is what this team needs. There are going to be flaring emotions and maybe even some fighting but this team needs to have that edge. I remember listening to Chan talking to the players after a big win this year and even though he was pumped, I got the feeling that the message was not really what they needed to hear. He was praising them and saying how in awe he was. To me, the timing was off. He should have been saying "we still have a lot of work to do. This game was just one and we far from where we need to be".

I know this team has talent. A coach with fire can go a long way. I also think that the new coaches are much smarter than what many may think. So far, so good. I'm on board.

Most of these coaches are young and I like that. They will be fiery and aggressive. The years of older coaches always harping about ethics and commitment is nice and all, but that only goes so far. Coaches that can get under your skin and really make you dig deeper will be younger and more likely to openly challenge you. This is what this team needs. There are going to be flaring emotions and maybe even some fighting but this team needs to have that edge. I remember listening to Chan talking to the players after a big win this year and even though he was pumped, I got the feeling that the message was not really what they needed to hear. He was praising them and saying how in awe he was. To me, the timing was off. He should have been saying "we still have a lot of work to do. This game was just one and we far from where we need to be".

I know this team has talent. A coach with fire can go a long way. I also think that the new coaches are much smarter than what many may think. So far, so good. I'm on board.

You were on board no matter what :)

Andy Reid - Kansas City, Chip Kelly - Philly, Marc Trestman - Chicago, Gus Bradley - Jacksonville, Mike McCoy - SD, Rob Chudzinski - Cleveland, Bruce Arians - Arizona and Doug Marrone - Buffalo. Think critically and not emotionally. Reid lost with better talent the past few seasons. Kelly was a superior college coach with scant NFL experience. Trestman was exiled to the CFL after a stint in the NFL. Bradley has a team lacking in offense. McCoy parlayed a good season with Peyton Manning to augment his season with Tebow the year prior. Chudzinski was a panic hire of a former staffer. Arians rode the emotion of playing for Coach Pagano and a easy schedule. Marrone turned around a doormat for a football program to a school making and winning 2 bowl games. Each has his merits and potential flaws. Big name hires were not to be this year. No Jon Gruden, Mariucci, Billick, Cowher, Dungy and no touted names like Horton, Zimmer, Daniels, and Jay Gruden..

Edited by Nitro

If he gets a QB, he will have success. We can't have another 3 year run with a "Fitz". A below average QB who had no business being named a starter for as long as he was.

Do you expect Marrone to get 71 touchdown passes out of whoever plays QB in the next three years?

Marrone has had some success everywhere he's been. Given all the inexperienced and lesser known assistants that he's brought along, I like the experience of the DC hire. Hopefully the Hackett's of the bunch will bring youthful enthusiasm, creativity and take full advantage of their opportunity. After all, even Bellicheat was a wide-eyed newby once upon a time.

We have far more talent in the players than we did 3 years ago and a good draft and a few FA pickups in addition to all the new coaching energy could help us to push for a playoff spot IF WE GET A QB...

Very concerned with the hired Special Teams coach, Crossman. Do you remember the friend/special teams coach Wade Phillips hired. Can't remember his name, but he was absolutely abysmal and Wade basically refused to fire him and was subsequently fired for this stupidity. (Can you say Music City Miracle). The Crossman hire seems very similar. The guy had one of the worst special teams in the league the last two years in Detroit and this is who Marrone grabs for the Bills because he is an old friend. I see the same problem here and this may cost the Bills some games next year. Hell he could have hired Bobby April again, he was available. This is the biggest concern I have with this new coaching staff.

So the only retread hired was Reid, Lovie (who I liked) and Whiz were passed on by 7 other teams. Cowher and Gruden did not come out of the booth for anyone. Assuming everyone else was acting rationally and with no spending limits on a new coach, how do you feel like the Bills did in picking a new coach? Who did better? Worse?

For me, after evaluating the situation, there are few guys who were hired that I would rather have than Marrone. And the fact that guys I did not mind like Lovie and Whiz were passed over tells me something about them. So I guess I am pretty happy with the hire.

I'mI happy for two reasons. One, hiring Marrone breaks our trend of recycling. Two, since Marrone has NFL coaching experience, I'm more comfortable with him than I would be with Chip Kelly.

I would have a really tough time buying into this if i were a veteran player on the Bills team.

This is one part that has been over looked with this hire IMHO. In college, rah rah, get in their face, threaten to take away scholarships etc works. In college a coach can use motivational stuff and threaten to get what he wants. In the pros you need buy in. college guys have no money and are basically slaves to the university. Pro guys have tons of money must be motivated differently.

I too have a hard time seeing vets being motivated by some snot nose green behind the ears HC with a .500 record in college. that was one of the reasons I wanted Lovie. He knows how motivate pros to win. NFL guys want nothing more (besides money) than to go to the SB. Lovie's been there. That translates into buy in.

So, I don't think we did very good.

I have a bottle of tabasco in my pantry should crow need to be eaten. Hopefully it will, but at this point the tabasco is way in the back of the pantry.