Now that the coaching carousel has stopped-- how did the Bills do?

Casey D

So the only retread hired was Reid, Lovie (who I liked) and Whiz were passed on by 7 other teams. Cowher and Gruden did not come out of the booth for anyone. Assuming everyone else was acting rationally and with no spending limits on a new coach, how do you feel like the Bills did in picking a new coach? Who did better? Worse?

For me, after evaluating the situation, there are few guys who were hired that I would rather have than Marrone. And the fact that guys I did not mind like Lovie and Whiz were passed over tells me something about them. So I guess I am pretty happy with the hire.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always it's wait and see. It will be interesting to see how Marrone and Kelly both do with them both coming out of college programs.

Totally agree. Time will tell. I'm glad we didn't hire Whisenhent or dig up some other re-tread out of nowhere like we did with Gailey. I'm going to give Marrone a chance to prove one way or the other if he was the right hire or not.

I wasn't looking forward to Whis or Lovie, so in that respect I'm happy with Marrone. I just don't know enough about him yet. I like the Pettine hire, but the rest of the staff is a bunch of question marks. Time will tell, for sure. I just hope these guys can put together an NFL-caliber offense.

I wasn't looking forward to Whis or Lovie, so in that respect I'm happy with Marrone. I just don't know enough about him yet. I like the Pettine hire, but the rest of the staff is a bunch of question marks. Time will tell, for sure. I just hope these guys can put together an NFL-caliber offense.

A task made much easier with NFL-caliber players.

What a joke! The Bills hired an (old retread/inexperienced nobody). They should have (acted quickly/waited till the SB was over) instead of (acting quickly/waiting till the SB was over). I wanted an (experienced NFL coach/up-and-coming college coach) and instead we hired an (old retread/inexperienced nobody). I'm so done with this team!

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

As always it's wait and see. It will be interesting to see how Marrone and Kelly both do with them both coming out of college programs.

My question is not really how this will turn out-- of course we won't know for a while if this was a good hire. My question goes more to how the Bills conducted business with this hIre. Was there a difference than in the past? Did they do a good job of finding and getting someone who has real potential as compared to what othe teams did? Hindsight is 20/20, how did they do now under the circumstances in hiring a new coach?

What a joke! The Bills hired an (old retread/inexperienced nobody). They should have (acted quickly/waited till the SB was over) instead of (acting quickly/waiting till the SB was over). I wanted an (experienced NFL coach/up-and-coming college coach) and instead we hired an (old retread/inexperienced nobody). I'm so done with this team!

PTR

Funny... :-)

My question is not really how this will turn out-- of course we won't know for a while if this was a good hire. My question goes more to how the Bills conducted business with this hIre. Was there a difference than in the past? Did they do a good job of finding and getting someone who has real potential as compared to what othe teams did? Hindsight is 20/20, how did they do now under the circumstances in hiring a new coach?

In that case, the Bills acted very quickly both in getting a HC and also in the HC getting his staff. Which means they got the jump on other teams, but at the same time did not conduct any kind of exhaustive search, and immediately eliminated OCs/DCs as well as supporting staff from the best teams in the NFL (still in the playoffs). I like getting the D coaches from the Jets. That should work out well both from a coaching standpoing as well as what they can provide regarding weaknesses on the Jets O and D.

Marrones record at cuse was .500. Not exactly stellar. Except for the ex-Jets I know little to nothing about the other hires, including Marrone himself.

I did not want any failed NFL HC so Lovey and Whiz were not popular choices for me, However there are some interesting guys that have potential to be HC candidates that are still in the playoffs and it would not have hurt to look at them. Perhaps the Bills did and decided they liked Marrone best and that would be great. But it feels like the Bills were afraid with all the HC positions available that if they did not act fast they would have been stuck with another Gailey hire. With all the unknowns in the hires I certainly am not going to call it a big win for the Bills, but at the same calling it a bust is equally as silly.

So basically I am ambivalent and am in the "wait and see" mode.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Y

PTR

You forgot to complain about them hiring the cheapest coach out there.

PTR

I'm of two minds in regards to what you are saying.

PTR

How did you get hold of Jerry Sullivan's article template?

I'm with codemonkey on this towards the wait and see mode...only bad/questionable move I've seen so far is Marrones choice for ST coach, although I do understand that each team views ST's differently and allocates players differently...

@ codemonkey...I don't see his .500 record as bad...he had no talent knocking on Syracuse's door to play...I can't imagine it was easy to find high lvl players to recruit for a team that totally tanked under Robinson...yet he still went to 2 bowl games in his 4 years and won 1...If/when Ryan Nassib gets drafted , it'll be the 1st QB drafted out of Syracuse since McNabb in the 90's...so basically it's not like he had Alabama's recruiting class to work with