Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not following this very deeply but I turned on WGR and that's all they are talking about. Turned in ESPN to assume the same and they are not. Not sure why hit it seems ESPN is doing its part to hide it. Or maybe they already blew it up or maybe they have t gotten to it yet. Either way, I expected to be overblown by the coverage of this but in not.

I'm not following this very deeply but I turned on WGR and that's all they are talking about. Turned in ESPN to assume the same and they are not. Not sure why hit it seems ESPN is doing its part to hide it. Or maybe they already blew it up or maybe they have t gotten to it yet. Either way, I expected to be overblown by the coverage of this but in not.

id assume espn will treat this as semi-radioactive until they have a better grasp of whats going on, having already flubbed the story when it originally happened. it would be incredibly easy for them to put their foot in their mouth at this point, especially not knowing who the victims and perpetrators really are.

they are also trying to get the Te'o interview.

lots of reasons to stay neutral on it today if you are at the WWL.

Edited by NoSaint

Its funny - for everyone saying its so unbelievable that it could have happened to Teo.... it kind of happened to all of us.

think of how many times we said - dear lord what a crazy story.... and then just accepted it. the star linebacker at nd about to be in the heisman running has his beautiful girlfriend that he met on the football field, who was just in a car accident die of leukemia moments after his grandmother died but he still played because she told him to and he dedicated the game ball to her.... and so on....

and we all bought it hook line and sinker. journalists were told "oh sorry, no pictures available, and i dont know why you cant find a reference in the paper...." and still ran with the story.

people are demonizing him for being an idiot to never question his online gf now that its all out there in hindsight... but the same thing happened to us. the story built, and built, and then a little further... and it becomes this thing that looking back was like "really?!?! we believed THAT?" but we did, and so did teo.... it really is a bit fascinating. for him it was likely a cancelled trip cause she was sick, no webcam on her computer... little things that added up to "really, i cant believe i fell for all this".

Edited by NoSaint

The story gets even more interesting as media outlets are now reporting that T'eo was going to "come clean" as early as today since the hoax was caving in on him fast. Deadspin beat him to the punch so to speak...so now T'eo looks even more like a liar and a big idiot.

This is the only place I have heard that. Do you have a linky for any of these "media outlets" stating he was about to come clean?

WHO?

OJ

WHO?

Err...

My thought was the media. How much of this could have been cleared up long ago if they'd bothered to fact check anything in any one of the dozens of stories that were ran?

Now we are questioning whether he was duped or not, if he was duped when he because aware of the truth and did he ever knowingly lie, what does ND know, and when did they know it, and who are all these crazy Samoan impersonators?

But hey, dead grandma and dead gf makes a great sales pitch.

This is the only place I have heard that. Do you have a linky for any of these "media outlets" stating he was about to come clean?

OJ

watch the notre dame press conference. im 100% certain he is referring to them saying that the family was going to release the info about the hoax within the week. its even in the link i posted about it lastnight (probably about 20 pages back, i posted it a few times as many hadnt seen it)

Edited by NoSaint

watch the notre dame press conference. im 100% certain he is referring to them saying that the family was going to release the info about the hoax within the week. its even in the link i posted about it lastnight (probably about 20 pages back, i posted it a few times as many hadnt seen it)

Got it. I thought he meant come clean as to his guilt, not that he was duped.

Its funny - for everyone saying its so unbelievable that it could have happened to Teo.... it kind of happened to all of us.

think of how many times we said - dear lord what a crazy story.... and then just accepted it. the star linebacker at nd about to be in the heisman running has his beautiful girlfriend that he met on the football field, who was just in a car accident die of leukemia moments after his grandmother died but he still played because she told him to and he dedicated the game ball to her.... and so on....

and we all bought it hook line and sinker. journalists were told "oh sorry, no pictures available, and i dont know why you cant find a reference in the paper...." and still ran with the story.

people are demonizing him for being an idiot to never question his online gf now that its all out there in hindsight... but the same thing happened to us. the story built, and built, and then a little further... and it becomes this thing that looking back was like "really?!?! we believed THAT?" but we did, and so did teo.... it really is a bit fascinating. for him it was likely a cancelled trip cause she was sick, no webcam on her computer... little things that added up to "really, i cant believe i fell for all this".

Exactly. Why did it take the media so long to figure this out when there was no such student at Stanford, no obituary, no burial in the california city, no pictures with te'o, sappy sounding story, etc etc? Pretty easy stuff to verify if anyone bothered. Apparently only reason dead spin got on it was an anonymous tip.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Exactly. Why did it take the media so long to figure this out when there was no such student at Stanford, no obituary, no burial in the california city, no pictures with te'o, sappy sounding story, etc etc? Pretty easy stuff to verify if anyone bothered. Apparently only reason dead spin got on it was an anonymous tip.

essentially the same thing happened to all these media members who have the job of being skeptical but we beat up a 20 year old - a slowly building but unbelievable story that in hindsight is nuts but in the moment is easy to excuse the issues in... theres a certain irony.

Edited by NoSaint

For the sake of ammetuerism and the NCAA, they should ban students from doing interviews with the media. The less we idolize these teenagers and young men the less we see these blatant NCAA violations. It would keep the sports about the teams and not the individuals. Big programs would not be perceived as profiting from individuals. Teams would get credit not athletes, this Teo situation never happens.

Not sure if posted before, but here is an article on SI.com from the guy who interviewed him back in October. Interesting stuff. The amount of detail is staggering.

Manti Te'o in his own words

He says he knew her for four years, but that they dated formally since the prior October, so for a year. Could a hoax like this really be perpetrated for four years, including one as intimate friends? Who in the world has the stamina to stay on the phone with him for hours at a time, every day?

Edited by Rubes

This theory is original beard theory. We've moved on to Twitter Subordinate Satellite Necro-Beard Theory.

Necro-Beard was an expansion of original beard theory wherein a man might seek to hide his homosexual identity by engaging in a relationship with a woman (ie: marrying Nicole Kidman). Twitter Necro-Beard theory evolved from this concept but supposed that a man may engage in a relationship with a fictional woman existing only as an online profile, thus giving the impression of a real long distance relationship. If a man were to carry on the Twitter-Beard relationship too long without meeting in person, it would arouse suspicion. Necro-Beard involves the untimely demise of this fictional woman, giving the closeted man a long grieving window and an excuse not to pursue other women indefinitely.

We've now moved on to include the possibility of many satellite beards, both fictional and breathing. According to teammates, Manti was seeing one or more girls on ND's campus. These satellite beards may exist but in a subordinate nature to the primary twitter beard, thus giving the impression of an adulterous heterosexual male.

We cannot, however, rule out the possibility of Surreptitious Twitter Necro-Beard or Surreptitious Twitter Subordinate Satellite Necro-Beard theories, where Manti is the victim of a hoax but still used the online relationship, possibly in unison with other beards, to his advantage to avoid suspicion. In other words, Manti may have had no knowledge that his beard was fake.

Fascinating, truly fascinating.

Sharing some fun links-

Ronaiahs music page (hes a christian musician managed by his father):

His father is the pastor at this somoan church: http://mountzionsite.com/about_us.html

and was a USC FB is the early 90s. of note, the phone number that belonged to "lennays sister" is registered to titus tiuasosopo whos facebook is surprisingly staying public currently: http://www.facebook.com/titus.tuiasosopo

Not sure if posted before, but here is an article on SI.com from the guy who interviewed him back in October. Interesting stuff. The amount of detail is staggering.

Manti Te'o in his own words

He says he knew her for four years, but that they dated formally since the prior October, so for a year. Could a hoax like this really be perpetrated for four years, including one as intimate friends? Who in the world has the stamina to stay on the phone with him for hours at a time, every day?

This kind of exonerates Thamel in my opinion. When the team chaplain says he met her are you really going to question her existence? He even admits that the biggest red flag was when his Stanford contact couldn't find her listed among the alumni and even then he just chalked it up to the fact that she probably dropped out so he omitted the Stanford part. Interesting that towards the end of the one on one he responds to Te'o that the story was "pretty unbelievable". Well, it apparently was.