Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Up until right now I had no idea joesixpack and joe_the_6_pack were two different posters. Guess I've never seen you two post back to back.

Are you serious? LoL... I guess you never visited PPP. ;-) Bookends my friend, bookends... :-)

Something tells me you've had plenty of imaginary girlfriends.

LoL...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting perspectives from the 'Catfish' creators. They seem to think Te'o was a victim in this story and that the story goes much deeper...

'Catfish' Creators Reel at Manti Te'o Hoax

While the story sounds incredibly weird in our lives when you learn a bit about how the scams work, read some real life stories.... This is damn near textbook for how it works. I feel like a lot of people are raging against the idea that stories like this aren't unique.... but they do in fact follow reasonably predictable frameworks that have tricked tons of people.

While the story sounds incredibly weird in our lives when you learn a bit about how the scams work, read some real life stories.... This is damn near textbook for how it works. I feel like a lot of people are raging against the idea that stories like this aren't unique.... but they do in fact follow reasonably predictable frameworks that have tricked tons of people.

I don't know what to think. What are people's motives for pulling these scams? What is the gain? Why?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Up until right now I had no idea joesixpack and joe_the_6_pack were two different posters. Guess I've never seen you two post back to back.

When did you get a sense of humor? What happened to the eternal pessimistic Stoj we all have come to appreciate? know? tolerate?

The question I want answered is why would an All American linebacker settle for some stupid online relationship when he can get all the women he wants? Real life ones!

I don't know what to think. What are people's motives for pulling these scams? What is the gain? Why?

There are several reasons, and like said between posts, it's like virus' authors. Some just do it because they can. Some do it for kicks. Some do it to solve other issues.

Some do it just to feel like they have someone out there for them.

I would bet you'd be near hard pressed, to the point of impossible, to find a person under the age of 34 who has had a PC in their home and not chatted with a random person on the internet intimately about their life. In the teenage years life is confusing, challenging and hard - the internet is a good place to vent. In college life can be just the same, especially to a sheltered kid. It is very easy to become attached to people - think about it. Many of us are attached to each other here and have our own minds drawn up on other members.

As a personal part of this story, at age 16 or so I met a chick on the internets some how or another - I do not even remember. To this day (15 years later) we still chat every one in a while by text message. I've never met her, I never will (oh, and she is very cute, very good looking, so it's not because she's ugly), but she is a friend of mine I chat with randomly about random things.

Edited by jboyst62

The question I want answered is why would an All American linebacker settle for some stupid online relationship when he can get all the women he wants? Real life ones!

It happens to all kinds of normal people, not just freaks that can't find a real life person.

Why do women marry inmates? Why did Shania Twains husband cheat on her? People do many things for reasons we do not get.

There are several reasons, and like said between posts, it's like virus' authors. Some just do it because they can. Some do it for kicks. Some do it to solve other issues.

I would bet you'd be near hard pressed, to the point of impossible, to find a person under the age of 34 who has had a PC in their home and not chatted with a random person on the internet intimately about their life. In the teenage years life is confusing, challenging and hard - the internet is a good place to vent. In college life can be just the same, especially to a sheltered kid. It is very easy to become attached to people - think about it. Many of us are attached to each other here and have our own minds drawn up on other members.

As a personal part of this story, at age 16 or so I met a chick on the internets some how or another - I do not even remember. To this day (15 years later) we still chat every one in a while by text message. I've never met her, I never will (oh, and she is very cute, very good looking, so it's not because she's ugly), but she is a friend of mine I chat with randomly about random things.

Interesting. Thanks for the perspective.

You have seen her, right? Via camera of some sorts??

See, one of our own texts with random Samoan guys!

Seriously though, good share. I think it's a lot more common and relatable than anyone realizes/wants to admit.... And with that some will be fun friendships while a certain percentage are going to be fake.

Edited by NoSaint

Interesting. Thanks for the perspective.

You have seen her, right? Via camera of some sorts??

Lots of pictures, her social network sites, and chatted with on the phone. Just like Te'o, so yeah, you can say it is odd, but in all honesty, I do not care if she is a fat blown up fuggly wench, doesn't mean much to me.

See, one of our own texts with random Samoan guys!

Seriously though, good share. I think it's a lot more common and relatable than anyone realizes/wants to admit

Gosh, I've had lots of chats with chicks on the internet. My favorite. Back in the day when Prodigy was out and the Packard Bell was king (94? 95?) I talked to a girl from the New England area. I do not remember her name or anything like that, and about 4 or 5 years later I realized it was awful funny that I talked to a girl with the screen name JimS. Hey, I was 13 or 14...I only remember this because it was just so f'n funny I was probably talking all about whatever kids talk about to an old creep.

But, my generation was one of the first of the AOL online chatting lifestyle. I talked to classmates regularly, more so online then in school. I'd talk to their friends I had never met, and their friends and so on. I'd end up in chat rooms with friends, and then their cousin from Colorado, and their cousins friend, and eventually you chat with people all over. Two guys I went to school with knew two girls in Maryland. The two girls talked to me all the time. There was never a reason to question if they were real or not. This was before picture sharing was easily done - scanners were there the main method.

Eventually, eventually and throughout high school I met a lot of girls that you'd feel special about, and it'd be mutual. A girl in Tennessee here, one in California there, it goes on and on and on. Sure, they could have been "catfish," but I have my doubts. I am very good at cyber sleuthing, and using common sense. A long time ago I even had a girl who was way in to me and extremely hot fly me out to see her (this was only after video chat made it possible to verify who they were).

The internet is a wide open world of whatever you want it to be...

Hell, I used to chat with chicks online back when I was using The Source and the early CompuServe, back in the early '80s, with 300 baud modems and crap. Never met any of them, but I remember one of them sent me a picture of herself.

Hell, I used to chat with chicks online back when I was using The Source and the early CompuServe, back in the early '80s, with 300 baud modems and crap. Never met any of them, but I remember one of them sent me a picture of herself.

god, I wonder how long that took to UL/DL... The 80's hair alone was probably an entire 800k floppy disc