New Eng-"LAND"

josephfrei

Here's more arrogance from Boston area writers. This is in response to the Bills related link from TBD Jan.13, 2013 (go there for full story):

Doug Marrone might pay off for the Bills

http://bostonglobe.c...VfGL/story.html

Does it ever occur to anyone what nice little financial advantage, fair or unfair, it still is to have not just a behemoth-sized urban market to pull from (Boston), but also be the one only NFL team in their state, AND to have a market encompassing how many OTHER states?!

I know the NFL has tried to address the market inequality issue, but here's hoping that Marrone is the coach who can finally do more with a whole lot less ...($).

Edited by Yonder_d7

18 people live in new hampshire vermont and maine combined. Four of them dont have TVs

I can imagine people saying something similar about what we have here...(Buffalo, Rochester, and ?). Then there's Connecticut/Rhode Island which probably figure in to some some degree.

I really hope so actually. Not because I want him. I know it would make him suffer not having nice places to go out to in Buffalo. Would be great to see him suffer in any way possible.

The cherry on the parfait would be Brady in Buffalo and Giselle in a brown banlon pantsuit leading a revised version of "Talkin' Proud."

Interesting data from Sports Stats Overload:

Top 5 Smallest NFL TV Markets

1. Green Bay - Market #70. Definitely has to be one of the early teams, because no way in the world would the NFL go into market #70.

2. New Orleans - Market #53. Pre-Katrina, New Orleans was in the mid-40s of market size.

3. Buffalo - Market #51. Buffalo has slowly slid down the ranker.

4. Jacksonville - Market #47. When Jacksonville joined the league in 1995, they were the second smallest NFL market. Combine Jacksonville's growth with Katrina, and Buffalo's shrinkage, and now they're 4.

5. Cincinnati - #34 - Not showing much growth, but will not be passed by any of the smaller four anytime soon.

Interesting that the last two Super Bowl champs are from the SMALLEST markets.

While we're at it, the largest markets without an NFL team:

#2 Los Angeles - well-documented lack of passion for NFL; this is the new go-to town when teams threaten to leave.

#19 Orlando - With three teams already in Florida, and, those three not showing the overwhelming desire to sell out their stadiums, Orlando does not foresee any NFL-ing.

#20 Sacramento - The California state capitol is two hours from Bay Area that hosts two teams (Niners and Raiders).

#22 Portland - Portlanders have shown interest, giving the NFL the nudge that they are interested in becoming home to a team. Those NFL wheels turn slowly.

Here's more arrogance from Boston area writers. This is in response to the Bills related link from TBD Jan. 13, 2013 (go there for full story) :

Doug Marrone might pay off for the Bills

http://bostonglobe.c...VfGL/story.html

Does it ever occur to anyone what nice little financial advantage, fair or unfair, it still is to have not just a behemoth-sized urban market to pull from (Boston), but also be the one only NFL team in their state, AND to have a market encompassing how many OTHER states?!

I know the NFL has tried to address the market inequality issue, but here's hoping that Marrone is the coach who can finally do more with a whole lot less ...($).

Wait, I thought the Toronto/Ontario/Buffalo/Rochester market was top 5?

And how is it that Marrone has "a whole lot less....$" to work with than other teams?

IIRC, market size generally only takes US figures into consideration. If the US-Canada border were only a state border, then the Bills would be close to top 5 in market size.

IIRC, market size generally only takes US figures into consideration. If the US-Canada border were only a state border, then the Bills would be close to top 5 in market size.

Point is the OP is moaning about "small markets". Buffalo is no longer such, since Ralph "regionalized" them with the Toronto deal.

Interesting data from Sports Stats Overload:

Top 5 Smallest NFL TV Markets

1. Green Bay - Market #70. Definitely has to be one of the early teams, because no way in the world would the NFL go into market #70.

2. New Orleans - Market #53. Pre-Katrina, New Orleans was in the mid-40s of market size.

3. Buffalo - Market #51. Buffalo has slowly slid down the ranker.

4. Jacksonville - Market #47. When Jacksonville joined the league in 1995, they were the second smallest NFL market. Combine Jacksonville's growth with Katrina, and Buffalo's shrinkage, and now they're 4.

5. Cincinnati - #34 - Not showing much growth, but will not be passed by any of the smaller four anytime soon.

Interesting that the last two Super Bowl champs are from the SMALLEST markets.

While we're at it, the largest markets without an NFL team:

#2 Los Angeles - well-documented lack of passion for NFL; this is the new go-to town when teams threaten to leave.

#19 Orlando - With three teams already in Florida, and, those three not showing the overwhelming desire to sell out their stadiums, Orlando does not foresee any NFL-ing.

#20 Sacramento - The California state capitol is two hours from Bay Area that hosts two teams (Niners and Raiders).

#22 Portland - Portlanders have shown interest, giving the NFL the nudge that they are interested in becoming home to a team. Those NFL wheels turn slowly.

1. Green Bay - Market #70. So does this mean the entire state of Wisconsin; because I don't know if anyone even lives in Green Bay itself. And as far as small market teams having enough financial support & not just surviving but being competitive on average, Green Bay does NOT count. That franchise is a very unique case in pro FOOTBALL; you can't expect any fan-base to go to such extremes as Packer fans have historically; and no way in any amount of years does the NFL let that club fold.

Yes, it's always nice to see smaller market teams go all the way; and hopefully this is something that'll continue to improve (which is what's good for the NFL now at this point in time -- that every team/market has that chance realistically to be competitive on average). But, then again, take a further look at the teams winning championships or even more importantly who's been able to be competitive more so than not in pro FOOTBALL (the most expensive sport in which to do so) in the last decade or so. Pittsburgh would be the most impressive club in terms of superbowls; but I still don't see that the competitive gap between large and small market NFL teams has shrunk enough, yet.

I'm not sure about you, but I'm so bored with NEW YORK and BOSTON winning championships in football &/or whatever sport in most years.

Edited by Yonder_d7

18 people live in new hampshire vermont and maine combined. Four of them dont have TVs

That's not fair, because you have all these people in Albany why are Giants fans, as stupid as that sounds to me... the Giants and Jets don't even PLAY in New York State....!

And how is it that Marrone has "a whole lot less....$" to work with than other teams?

Buffalo in the Top 5 ___?? Buffalo, New York?

Yeah, I mean correct me if this isn't the case, but it's a fair shake teams in NYC, BOSTON-erNewEng-LAND, DC, frigin DALLAS ---you know all those mega metropolises are able to routinely get their hands on more money way beyond whatever revenue sharing systems the NFL has in place. Not that I'm saying it's dirty, or even if the NFL can do anything more about it.

It would've been nice, at least in the Bills & maybe Dolphins case, had the article in mention at least acknowledged that this might of played some role in he decade-plus of success the Pats have enjoyed & numerous firing of coaches the rest of the division has seen.

Had Brady /Belichick been in Buffalo this whole time, they would've gone to 1 or 2 Superbowls. Not 5 and counting. Keep in mind the years of Buffalo's 4 Superbowls (no wins) were almost all before free agency.

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Yawn. people really need to get over their self esteem issues.

Pats rule, Bills drool... until proven otherwise.

This^ Really didn't see anything worse than what I read here about the Bills

I don't know if I've come across this before, but the link on TBD to the fore mentioned Boston Globe article is now pay-to-read only. That never happens for the Buffalo News or the D&C, but whatev....

It's not what it said about the bills or anyone per se; but seemed pretty smug without giving a thought to any financial concerns.

As for "self esteem" issues.....here's also hoping it does NOT take either Brady or Belichick to get old and retire before the Buffalo Bills at least win this damn division !!!

Edited by Yonder_d7

Brady will be 36 next year is he going to play at 39-40-41 like Farve ?

Would not surprise me.

Brady is very competitive and I've heard some interviews where he says that he still has a lot to prove.

Now whether he is still with the Patriots when he gets to be that age is anyone's guess.

I caught this much though, from the Globe...

Patriots thrash the hapless Houston Texans

The Patriots defeated the Texans, 41-28, in the first de facto preseason playoff game in NFL history to move on and face the Ravens in the AFC title game.

STORY 1 OF 15

READ FULL STORY

... So much for that one 52-3 outing someone had in the AFC title game against the L.A. Raiders (sans Bo Jackson).

Edited by Yonder_d7

This is exactly why most of the country hates the Patriots. Sure, they are good... but the smug arrogance and cry baby persona really defines them to everyone other than NFL announcers.

It wasn't but a few short years ago that we were laughing at the Pats. We were riding high with Kelly & Levy and they were falling all over themselves.

Now they have Brady & Belechick and they are ruling the roost.

It's a QB league and when we find one, we'll be back - but it's a lot easier said than done.

I really admire (& am jealous of) what Wash did last year - going after RGIII - Now they are set at QB (if he's not killed) for 10 yrs. The Bills need to ID their guy and go after him - it'll cost a lot, but they need to go get him and then shore up the LB corps.

It wasn't but a few short years ago that we were laughing at the Pats. We were riding high with Kelly & Levy and they were falling all over themselves.

Now they have Brady & Belechick and they are ruling the roost.

It's a QB league and when we find one, we'll be back - but it's a lot easier said than done.

I really admire (& am jealous of) what Wash did last year - going after RGIII - Now they are set at QB (if he's not killed) for 10 yrs. The Bills need to ID their guy and go after him - it'll cost a lot, but they need to go get him and then shore up the LB corps.

RGIII might never have the same speed after this injury. He could lose his burst which will kill his value

I hope Robert Kraft, Tom Brady, Bill Bellicheat, Brandon Spikes, Jerod Mayo, Gronk, Hernandez, Wilfork all die of syphillis.

Dieing is to good for these steaming piles of pig :censored: They shoud be hung upside down by thier :censored: from the highest flagpole in Boston.

Buffalo in the Top 5 ___?? Buffalo, New York?

Yeah, I mean correct me if this isn't the case, but it's a fair shake teams in NYC, BOSTON-erNewEng-LAND, DC, frigin DALLAS ---you know all those mega metropolises are able to routinely get their hands on more money way beyond whatever revenue sharing systems the NFL has in place. Not that I'm saying it's dirty, or even if the NFL can do anything more about it.

It would've been nice, at least in the Bills & maybe Dolphins case, had the article in mention at least acknowledged that this might of played some role in he decade-plus of success the Pats have enjoyed & numerous firing of coaches the rest of the division has seen.

What on earth are you babbling about?