Zac Dysert - QB - Miami of Ohio

This guy in my opinion has the highest ceiling out of any QB in this draft. As of right now, he is rated as a second round pick but he may soar up the boards with a good Senior Bowl and Combine.

512x.jpg

Pros:

Ideal size: 6'4 228lbs

Awareness and athleticism to shift around in the pocket very well

Strong arm with excellent deep ball accuracy

Can scramble for extra yards when needed

Can make throws on the run (Best in class)

Good production despite dismal OL

Very fluid delivery

Tough to bring down

Broke many school records and most of Big Ben's at Miami OH

Cons:

Occasionally forces passes

Not the fastest delivery

Will miss throws

Poor Win/Loss record

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best trait that sticks out with Dysert to me is his ability to be deadly accurate while throwing on the run. Dysert's stock would be a lot better if he had the supporting cast that Geno or Barkley had this past season. To be honest, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib etc, do not seem like they'll ever be more than great and I don't think they'll be pro-bowlers. Dysert is the one guy in this class that I could see having the potential to make the Pro Bowl year after year. He has all the unteachable tools a great quarterback must possess. With good coaching, and some time to develop, I feel as if Dysert could emerge as the best QB to come out of this class. I was a big fan of Russell Wilson last year at this time, and disliked Blaine Gabbert and Jimmy Clausen when they came out, so let's see if my success at evaluating QB's continues with my predictions on Dysert. I really hope the Bills spend a second on this guy.

Highlight Package:

https://www.youtube....66vdmIrQ

Game Tape vs. Ohio State

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been touting this kid for months now, think he is going to be a stud...broke most of Rothlisberger's records and reminds me a lot of him...some of the throws I saw him make were throws Fitz would Jack off over being able to make...

This is the guy I think they are targeting. Whaley mentioned him in an interview with WGR back in midseason and I thought it was interesting considering the other usual suspects that he was talking about. I think Geno Smith has the most upside of any QB in the draft, but Dysert is a close second IMO. His supporting cast is awful and he put up pretty good numbers at Miami, OH. The game they played against Ohio State his receivers were dropping everything. He also passes the eye test in that he just looks like a QB. I don't see the Big Ben comparison but I definitely see alot of Aaron Rodgers/Andrew Luck in him. He isn't a sure thing though but no QB in this draft is.

We have seen this season the complete transformation a team can enjoy if they get the right QB. And it also seems that rookie QBs can flourish just as well as 2-4 year vets. The fact that 2nd and 3rd QBs are doing so well is going to even raise their premium higher. That said, I really believe that if the Bills are targeting a QB with their 1st pick, whoever he may be, they better pay to move up.

I watched a bunch of his highlights against teams Miami, Ohio got thrashed by. He stayed pretty composed and just kept making plays while being flushed out of the pocket. He really is good at making plays while on the run. I like what I see so far. Can't help but wonder how good he could be with time to throw.

We have seen this season the complete transformation a team can enjoy if they get the right QB. And it also seems that rookie QBs can flourish just as well as 2-4 year vets. The fact that 2nd and 3rd QBs are doing so well is going to even raise their premium higher. That said, I really believe that if the Bills are targeting a QB with their 1st pick, whoever he may be, they better pay to move up.

A lot can happen between now and the Pre-Draft evaluations, but there currently sn't a QB out there that is a can't miss prospect like Luck or RG3, and I don't anticipate any QB's stock to skyrocket at from combine/pro day.

We should spend our first pick addressing our new Defensive scheme, then take a qb in the second or third. Next year, if we still don't have our QB answered, then we should sell house for Teddy Bridgewater or even Tahj Boyd if he has a killer season.

I'm fine with Marrone, Nix, Whaley and co., taking anyone at any time - but, I'd LIKE to think Marrone will look at all the available QB's coming out of college, and the available QB's in the NFL via trade or free agency, and IF he sees one or more that fit the bill, that he believes he can win it all with, that he'll go out and get that QB first thing. If they think the QB is good enough to take a team all the way - which to me means top 12 or so in the NFL (the top 10-12 QB's in the NFL are all very good, certainly not holding their teams back) - then grab him and don't risk someone else getting him.

However - if they see a guy like Dysert and think, "we could probably make him a good QB", and feel the same way about a few different QB's in the draft, while Pettine is thinking - "get me this kid in round 1", then I'd be okay with the Bills going defense first, and trying for the QB later.

I just am done with crap QB's with this team - as a fan, I'm sick of seeing anything but extremely high level of play out of the QB position. I mean, THIS IS THE NFL!!! Our QB should be able to throw the ball anywhere he wants. Be that as it may, I still don't want the Bills to waste a pick on a guy who can't be that for us. If there simply is no QB able to win big with available, then take what the draft offers - there are stars to be had.

As I see it, I have a handful of QB's I'd like the Bills to go after in this draft, and I'd be happy with any of these, as I think they all look like they could be Franchise QB's in the right system: Geno Smith, Glennon, Nassib, Dysert, Bray, and Wilson. As for Barkley - I just don't know; I'm weary of west coast QB's, and wary of weak armed QB's, but I'm no expert. If Nix and Co., think he's good enough to make all the throws in Buffalo, then I say add him to that list.

Someone mentioned this kid a week ago and I really like him.

He reminds of a certain no. 12 who played for the Bills. Time to find the next Jimbo.

I was hoping to nab him in the second round and take Ogletree or Jones from Georgia in the first.

But if he lights up the Senior Bowl, watch out!

Anybody that has watched him play and knows what they're talking about know that he's terrible. He excels when putting zip on the ball across the middle. That's it. He can't make throws along the sidelines. He sails the ball on a lot of throws. I wouldn't touch him before the fourth.

Anybody that has watched him play and knows what they're talking about know that he's terrible. He excels when putting zip on the ball across the middle. That's it. He can't make throws along the sidelines. He sails the ball on a lot of throws. I wouldn't touch him before the fourth.

I see you have Glennon listed in your sig mock. What makes you so confident that he's a better pro prospect than Dysert?

We've debated this before. C'mon man, I showed you a couple areas where you at least had to think about changing your position on him. Plus how the hell do you say "anybody that has watched him play and knows what they're talking about know that he's terrible, but I'd draft him in the fourth round"? You don't take anybody you think is terrible in the fourth round.

Been touting this kid for months now, think he is going to be a stud...broke most of Rothlisberger's records and reminds me a lot of him...some of the throws I saw him make were throws Fitz would Jack off over being able to make...

The only reason he broke any of Big Ben's records (which was basically only yards) was because he played 4 seasons vs. Ben's 3. Even so, Ben still had more TD passes, and a QB rating almost 20 points higher. Oh, and Big Bens last season they went 13-1, Dysert (as a senior) went 4-8. I'm sorry, but there is no way that a QB who goes 4-8 in the MAC, regardless of the talent on the rest of the team, is going to be a successful NFL QB.

Any comparison to Big Ben is idiotic.

Edited by Mark80

We've debated this before. C'mon man, I showed you a couple areas where you at least had to think about changing your position on him. Plus how the hell do you say "anybody that has watched him play and knows what they're talking about know that he's terrible, but I'd draft him in the fourth round"? You don't take anybody you think is terrible in the fourth round.

I call him terrible to go the exact opposite of those who mentioned him in the same breath as Jim Kelly above and a few others. He's not a good pro prospect, but he's got potential as a good backup and/or a long-term project. We don't have that convenience.

I see you have Glennon listed in your sig mock. What makes you so confident that he's a better pro prospect than Dysert?

Glennon can make ANY throw. ANY throw you want him to make, he can make it. I'm not saying he WILL make it EVERY time, but he's completely capable. He worked with some of the worst talent I've ever seen at the D-1 level from the WR position this season and still excelled. He's clutch. He made a lot of big throws and led an NC State team to wins when they shouldn't have been winning. He's got GREAT pocket awareness. Outside-the-pocket mobility wise, I'd put him near the bottom of the starters group around someone like Matt Ryan, but his in-pocket mobility is phenomenal.

How much do those college records really matter? AVP broke most of Marino's records at Pitt.

The only reason he broke any of Big Ben's records (which was basically only yards) was because he played 4 seasons vs. Ben's 3. Even so, Ben still had more TD passes, and a QB rating almost 20 points higher. Oh, and Big Bens last season they went 13-1, Dysert (as a senior) went 4-8. I'm sorry, but there is no way that a QB who goes 4-8 in the MAC, regardless of the talent on the rest of the team, is going to be a successful NFL QB.

his record is a very good point. I know nothing about this kid and he could certainly light it up. But if someone is really that good, they should be destroying everyone in the Mac. Not just break a couple school or Mac records. If his record is what you say it is, then it should certainly be looked into.

This guy in my opinion has the highest ceiling out of any QB in this draft. As of right now, he is rated as a second round pick but he may soar up the boards with a good Senior Bowl and Combine.

512x.jpg

Pros:

Very fluid delivery

Tough to bring down

Broke many school records and most of Big Ben's at Miami OH

Cons:

Occasionally forces passes

Not the fastest delivery

Will miss throws

Poor Win/Loss record

The best trait that sticks out with Dysert to me is his ability to be deadly accurate while throwing on the run. Dysert's stock would be a lot better if he had the supporting cast that Geno or Barkley had this past season. To be honest, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib etc, do not seem like they'll ever be more than great and I don't think they'll be pro-bowlers. Dysert is the one guy in this class that I could see having the potential to make the Pro Bowl year after year. He has all the unteachable tools a great quarterback must possess. With good coaching, and some time to develop, I feel as if Dysert could emerge as the best QB to come out of this class. I was a big fan of Russell Wilson last year at this time, and disliked Blaine Gabbert and Jimmy Clausen when they came out, so let's see if my success at evaluating QB's continues with my predictions on Dysert. I really hope the Bills spend a second on this guy.

Highlight Package:

https://www.youtube....66vdmIrQ

Game Tape vs. Ohio State

didn't he look bad against UB?

. He's terrible. Lol. After reading your posts for the last few weeks, its my feeling that you believe you should be the GM. You seem to "know" a lot.

I love Dysert. Good mobility, decent arm, great throwing on the run, smart kid that knows how to play the QB position IMO. I want him in round 2. If we take him in round 1, I'm still happy.

The Ohio State game is not a highlight reel. It is every throw against a quality opponent.

Most throws right on the money and dropped.

didn't see too many passes sail either.

I call him terrible to go the exact opposite of those who mentioned him in the same breath as Jim Kelly above and a few others. He's not a good pro prospect, but he's got potential as a good backup and/or a long-term project. We don't have that convenience.

Glennon can make ANY throw. ANY throw you want him to make, he can make it. I'm not saying he WILL make it EVERY time, but he's completely capable. He worked with some of the worst talent I've ever seen at the D-1 level from the WR position this season and still excelled. He's clutch. He made a lot of big throws and led an NC State team to wins when they shouldn't have been winning. He's got GREAT pocket awareness. Outside-the-pocket mobility wise, I'd put him near the bottom of the starters group around someone like Matt Ryan, but his in-pocket mobility is phenomenal.

Glennons arm is like a rocket. His his feet are like the stand that holds the rocket in place. Stuck in the ground. If we took him, I'd be cool with it. It wouldn't surprise me to see teams blitz him endlessly. His mobility really scares me. Bad

I've watched film of the top QBs in this draft, and Dysert is the one who stood out the most to me. I wouldn't compare him to Big Ben because he is more mobile than he was. I would compare him to a more athletic Jim Kelly. He has tremendous touch on his deep balls and he has the ability to move effectively in the pocket and keep his eyes down field are a tremendous plus.

didn't he look bad against UB?

he threw for 250 yards and had 3 TDs, also ran for 42 yards (because his line is terrible and he was forced to run) - not to mention he led a last minute TD drive to tie up the game, only to have his special teams blow it on the ensuing kickoff - I didnt think he looked too bad? I mean, they lost the game to UB - but that had more to do with terrible team around Dysert - he didnt make mistakes...his team is just bad...

Edited by PaattMaann

. He's terrible. Lol. After reading your posts for the last few weeks, its my feeling that you believe you should be the GM. You seem to "know" a lot.

I love Dysert. Good mobility, decent arm, great throwing on the run, smart kid that knows how to play the QB position IMO. I want him in round 2. If we take him in round 1, I'm still happy.

It's an online discussion forum dipshit. Everybody here expresses their opinions, as you did about Dysert. So because I disagree with your opinion I'm a know-it-all? Be quiet fool.

It's an online discussion forum dipshit. Everybody here expresses their opinions, as you did about Dysert. So because I disagree with your opinion I'm a know-it-all? Be quiet fool.

The difference is you present your opinion as fact. "Anybody who knows what they're talking about knows he's terrible." You're saying it's a FACT that he's terrible and anyone with a differing opinion is wrong.

The post you quoted on the other hand has no absolute statements like that, as it's presented as an opinion.

I only caught him in the Boise State game this year, but was very impressed with some of the plays he made, despite being forced out of the pocket and pressured on most every play. I wouldn't scream at the TV if he were our pick. Still not certain if he is "sure-thing" enough to go in the first, but if it's the decision, we all need to go with it because the Bills have had too many missed QB opportunities in the draft the last 5 years. Lookin' forward to the Senior Bowl.

I like Dysert as a 3rd round guy. Good athlete and strong arm. What bothers me about him is that he can throw over the top and outside routes, but he loses accuracy when he needs to drive the ball inside on slants and dig routes. I noticed that many times while watching him play.

I've watched film of the top QBs in this draft, and Dysert is the one who stood out the most to me. I wouldn't compare him to Big Ben because he is more mobile than he was. I would compare him to a more athletic Jim Kelly. He has tremendous touch on his deep balls and he has the ability to move effectively in the pocket and keep his eyes down field are a tremendous plus.

Not trying to be a nit-picker, but what do you mean when you say you've "watched film"? Did you watch their games? Youtube highlights? Or do you actually have access to coaches' film...like all-22?

Pros:

Very fluid delivery

Tough to bring down

The best trait that sticks out with Dysert to me is his ability to be deadly accurate while throwing on the run.

If memory serves, Loseman was credited with this "talent."

Not trying to be a nit-picker, but what do you mean when you say you've "watched film"? Did you watch their games? Youtube highlights? Or do you actually have access to coaches' film...like all-22?

The film I've watched is just what is available on Youtube, like the individual game breakdowns they have for each QB prospect. I am by no means a scout. This is all just general observation.

That's not true. Did you watch the game tape against Ohio State and see how bad the Oline was and how many drops the WR's had? You could've put an above average NFL QB in for Miami OH(who would dominate at the college level) and I still guarantee they would have lost. Yeah, Dysert had some bad plays towards the end of the game, but there is not a single college QB that could've lead that team to a victory.

Back in 2003, Miami's D was not nearly as bad as this past season's one. The most PA for three games in 2003 was 37,31 and 30. Last year the most points against in three games were 56,52, and 49. Dysert has zero control on how well his defense plays, so why should that be a knock on him? No matter who is behind the center, when you run a spread offense with WR's that are terrible across the middle and can't catch for anything (I swear there was at least ten drops in the OSU game) along with a Defense that allows an average of 35 PA per game, you're not going to have a good record.

That's not true. Did you watch the game tape against Ohio State and see how bad the Oline was and how many drops the WR's had? You could've put an above average NFL QB in for Miami OH(who would dominate at the college level) and I still guarantee they would have lost. Yeah, Dysert had some bad plays towards the end of the game, but there is not a single college QB that could've lead that team to a victory.

Back in 2003, Miami's D was not nearly as bad as this past season's one. The most PA for three games in 2003 was 37,31 and 30. Last year the most points against in three games were 56,52, and 49. Dysert has zero control on how well his defense plays, so why should that be a knock on him? No matter who is behind the center, when you run a spread offense with WR's that are terrible across the middle and can't catch for anything (I swear there was at least ten drops in the OSU game) along with a Defense that allows an average of 35 PA per game, you're not going to have a good record.

Can you reference a single losing MAC QB that had any success in the NFL? I sure as heck can't.

While this may be true of Ohio State, you are referencing a top 10 college football team. I'm more talking about the losses to Bowling Green (12 points scored), UB, Kent State, Central Michigan (16 points scored), and Ball State. I'm not looking for an average NFL QB, I'm looking for a guy that's going to lead us to the promise land and if you put any of the current guys in the league that could (even during their college days) they would not be 3-5 in the MAC, no way. Plus, look at what he did do against the good teams he played (Ohio State, Boise State, Cincy) all either OK outings and a pretty poor effort vs. Boise State. Take away one game against possibly the worst team in the nation, the 1-11 (0-8 MAC) Akron team, and his TD/INT is 19/12 and less than 3,000 yards. No way is that NFL quality.

While I'm not completely opposed to the guy, by any means, I just feel that a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd is wasted on way too big of a question mark and would much rather he be the 2nd QB we drafted if at all.

Edited by Mark80

Good points on the defense but overall I disagree. I went to a bunch of Miami Ohio games when Big Ben was on the team and he completely dominated. Dude was hitting receivers in stride 40 yards down the field and nobody could match up with his toughness. I haven't watched as much of Dysert but from what I have, it's not a close comparison. Big Ben was a top 5 pick that got pushed back in the draft because he was from a small school. This kid is a 3-4th rounder that is getting pushed up the boards because of Big Ben's success. Different story.

Not at all. Even when I agree with your opinions, you convey them with such a smug sense of superiority that I just nod my head. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I can't imagine others not seeing it in the same light. It has nothing to do with what you're actually saying. Just how you say it.

Fool. Lol..

Not at all. Even when I agree with your opinions, you convey them with such a smug sense of superiority that I just nod my head. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I can't imagine others not seeing it in the same light. It has nothing to do with what you're actually saying. Just how you say it.

Fool. Lol..

I agree with this statement, and have silently thought the same...