Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your comparing Paul Hackett to Bill Belichick? Which mentor has the bigger impact on the game? GTFOH, C'MON MAN!

Young Hackett may know his stuff but he's been cutting his teeth the last few years against the likes of The Big East opponents (one of the weakest conference in CFB) and now strategizing against the likes of NFL coaches in his division (let alone the league). This has the making of a long adjustment period...I can just hear those comments from AVP when he was thrust into the OC position his first time. I hope the young man has his dads # on speed dial...

You are either good at it or you are not. Learning and getting all the experience in the world will never change this base reality. And I would much rather have someone who grew up in this environment. Talent will trump experience 100 times out of 100. How talented is he? No one yet knows, but we will soon enough find out.

You are either good at it or you are not. Learning and getting all the experience in the world will never change this base reality. And I would much rather have someone who grew up in this environment. Talent will trump experience 100 times out of 100. How talented is he? No one yet knows, but we will soon enough find out.

I agree that talent is more important than experience but experience is an extremely important factor in developing raw talent into productive ability.

A talented person will learn from their mistakes quickly, be able to understand the situation, and through experience be better at what they do.

So much talk about Ryan Nassib now, so many fans trying to read the tea leaves to determine the Bills intentions--- I've transcribed Hackett's comments regarding Nassib from the 2 videos posted in this thread. It sounds like "love at first sight", but it's probably just typical of the affection that college coaches would have for their 3rd year QB. Or it could be another Gailey-Fitz mancrush.

Not particularly high on substance, but through the roof on enthusiasm. Later in the 2nd video he does boast some of Nassib's stats:

Relevant quotes by Hackett regarding Nassib following the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl:

REPORTER: What about his NFL future?

HACKETT: I'm not sure about that, you never know--- everybody has their own likes, their wants.

If I was in the NFL, I know I would want him. He loves the cold, he's a tough, tough guy.

He took some hits today, which crushed me (?) because I didn't want him to take some hits.

Just to see him pop right back up and just keep on going, i mean, it just shows how tough he is, what kind of QB he is.

REPORTER: Were you nervous the one time he did stay down?

HACKETT: I was scared to death, I was scared to death because i love the guy so much.

CitrusTV Interview, Part 3

REPORTER: Relationship with Nassib after 3 years?

HACKETT: It's been great, I mean, I love that guy. It was hard at first, for both of us. I think both of us came in really not knowing what to expect from each other. He looked at me, "Who the heck is this young guy? What the hell does he know?" And uh, I think it was kind of hard for him at first, "Oh, I've got another coordinator, another Quarterback coach." And it took some time to gain some trust. And after a whole spring, and after even the first game--- the first Akron game--- I think that the two of us really realized we were in this for the long haul together. And I'm here for him and he's here for me. And we want to work this thing out and we want to become great, and I think that's what you need.

And, for us, it's a great trust relationship, he knows I want to protect him and let him play. And we're just going to keep moving along. And we have a great time; we poke fun at each other. I always try to get him laughing, he's another quiet guy. Those quite guys--- if you're quiet, I'm after you. I'll make sure you stand out, because hey, he goes out there everyday on TV in front of all those people, he's gotta be used to people looking at him and making fun of him.
Edited by Punch

I would think the bills plan of attack is to try and trade down about 10 picks and grab him. If they can't trade down, I can see them taking nassib at 8. If they really like him, you can't risk losing him. The plan might be to take him at 8. It makes sense. While I prefer other QBs in this draft over nassib, the situation fits. QB, HC and OC all having a special relationship is huge IMO. I'm looking forward to it, if indeed that's the plan

A few have touched on it but I will repeat it

- People should NOT be saying "same old bills" with this hire....this is DEF not on the beaten path of the way we have done it in the past.......in the past we would have taken a retread that has had moderate success in the NFL for the OC position........NO...this is a new day in Buffalo. Its new blood.....the bills are swinging for the fences with YOUNG up and comers.

- To the people talking about how our young coaches are gonna get spanked by guys like Billy B.......guys....its FOOTBALL.....its not like the aged winning coaches in the NFL are super martial arts warriors and the higher the level their belt the more powerful they are....no......there has been much talk about how practices of the college ranks are moving to the NFL.....that is way Chip Kelly was so sought after......its cutting edge.....new blood....fresh prospective.

- Another thing to consider......maybe the reason why Marroine wanted Hackett is because he WANTS to win quickly......and when you are assembling a team and need immediate results you put together a team that you already have a chemistry with.

- Keep an open mind guys.......if they dont hire a DC with plenty of NFL defensive experience I also will have lots of question marks....so far so good.

A few have touched on it but I will repeat it

- People should NOT be saying "same old bills" with this hire....this is DEF not on the beaten path of the way we have done it in the past.......in the past we would have taken a retread that has had moderate success in the NFL for the OC position........NO...this is a new day in Buffalo. Its new blood.....the bills are swinging for the fences with YOUNG up and comers.

- To the people talking about how our young coaches are gonna get spanked by guys like Billy B.......guys....its FOOTBALL.....its not like the aged winning coaches in the NFL are super martial arts warriors and the higher the level their belt the more powerful they are....no......there has been much talk about how practices of the college ranks are moving to the NFL.....that is way Chip Kelly was so sought after......its cutting edge.....new blood....fresh prospective.

- Another thing to consider......maybe the reason why Marroine wanted Hackett is because he WANTS to win quickly......and when you are assembling a team and need immediate results you put together a team that you already have a chemistry with.

- Keep an open mind guys.......if they dont hire a DC with plenty of NFL defensive experience I also will have lots of question marks....so far so good.

John, I'm trying. But it's infinitely different calling plays in a vacuum than it is with Belichick, Ryan or Coughlin on the other side. You know, you need to be battle tested a bit. I don't doubt Hackett has the acumen. Look at his pedigree. But to turn over the keys to the offense to someone who is a relative neophyte, I don't know.

I predict the "O" will look like world beaters within the relative safety of camp and pre-season. Then we'll struggle while our coordinator learns to adjust on game day in a cauldron of screaming fans and behemoths clobbering his boy, Nassib. I like the kid, but he's gonna be a relative project. He just doesn't set his feet well under high stress. Anything more than a mid second, and we're gambling high stakes poker.

I like the nepotism comment. We don't need any of that.

I hope we get someone like Pettine, a balls to the wall D coordinator - who is gonna bring an attacking style D.

Not digging the first personnel move so far.

C

May not be good for orange but good for us and he does have NFL experience so if Doug likes him that's good enough for me.

you're already on a first name basis with the guy, eh? your old pal, doug? so, even the new OC is unbelievably underqualified, since your buddy doug likes him, that's good enough for you. 13 seasons of losing is good enough for you, too. get ready to make it 14! that's good enough for you -- anything the bills do is good enough for you!