Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

it's on - check that link I posted

There were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

"It's made with Bits of REAL Panther... So you know it's good"

"50% of the time... It works EVERYtime"

Possibly the best quotes in comedy ever.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Kinda makes my wonder just how a guy was interviewed 4-5 times and his coordinators weren't identified.

I read a few tweets that said the Bills were high on Hackett from his time here so who's to say that they didn't?

Kinda makes my wonder just how a guy was interviewed 4-5 times and his coordinators weren't identified.

More likely the Bills signed off on Hackett before hiring Marrone. Read carefully:

In his introductory press conference Marrone stated:

"Obviously, with the coordinators, we want people that have thorough NFL experience, as far as especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, we want people with NFL experience. For our coordinators, we want to make sure they've been in this league."

I'm thinking that Marrone had this move in mind right from the start. The above quote could easily be construed as evidence of this.

YE OLE is less than impressed with all of this. This may or may not be an accurate assessment, as there are obviously other factors, but if we essentially port a rather young, relatively inexperienced (at the NFL level) coaching staff from Syracuse and end up with Nassib as our prospective "franchise QB" it's a bit concerning that the best that all of these fellows could muster was an 8-5 record in the Big East?

Now, I'm sure some folks will don the rose colored glasses and say "Yeah but YE OLE, just look where THE 'CUSE was prior to all of this..." or point to the fact that with better talent surrounding these guys they'll take off. Those are, indeed, salient points. But, the fact is, you look at a HC/QB/OC (again, just assuming Nassib as part of the equation for argument's sake) as being a major nucleus of a program that while much improved over recent renditions of ORANGE FOOTBALL, was still rather pedestrian at the NCAA level. YE OLE is not seeing any evidence to support the fact that these guys will go from 8-5 in the Big East to some kind of ass kicking machine in the AFC East. Rather it's more likely, we will once again play the role of one legged man in the ass kicking contest that is the AFC East.

YE OLE had such high hopes when this offseason started. First, rumors of ownership change... rumors of Polian returning... we get Russ Brandon as President. YE OLE brushed it off, and thought... well maybe we'll get a big time coach up in here... perhaps we are willing to spend top dollar this time... we get Doug Marrone. YE OLE even tried to justify this for a day or two, thinking maybe this guy could put together a decent staff... and now: Nathaniel Hackett. This smacks of 2001 when Gregg "High School" Williams assembled high school caliber staff from his vast collection of dossiers.

I think everyone is diving on the Nassib thing WAY too quickly...It's a huge, huge unknown right now...Marrone and Hackett are going to be like kids in a candy store looking at all these QB's. They're Offensive Football Coaches...Why would anyone assume they will like Nassib best of this class coming out? It's just so early for that assumption... B-)

Even though I am not very pleased with this hire, I'd have to say that having your dad be one of the highest respected offensive minds of his era is probably worth at least 5 years experience coaching in the NFL to me. He grew up his entire life with innovative offensive football. If he became a coach so young you just know he was into it his entire life. I would not have gone this route myself (although not knowing much about Hackett perhaps I would if I did) but you cannot discount his entire life being the son of Paul Hackett.

I think everyone is diving on the Nassib thing WAY too quickly...It's a huge, huge unknown right now...Marrone and Hackett are going to be like kids in a candy store looking at all these QB's. They're Offensive Football Coaches...Why would anyone assume they will like Nassib best of this class coming out? It's just so early for that assumption... B-)

I think people are over reacting, but not too much. I don't think we use our 1st pick on him, but I do think if he is there for our 2nd pick, they take him.

But it is early to tell right now

yeah. I just read up on it. I was right in my assessment. It was on, then called off by paramount, then back in again as of 2011-2012. My guess is Will Farrell's greatness has demanded this movie and Paramount couldn't go against him.

Either way. I'm happy with this. Should be a blast. I've heard it takes place about a decade or so after the original.

game on ....

http://www.anchormanmovie.com/

Im glad to hear this, but may I ask what your basing this off of?

Even when he was on Jaurons staff, he worked very closely with the QB's and was involved in the game planning. He grew up with an intimate knowledge of the NFL, through his father, and much like the QB who grows up surrounded by NFL players ala the Mannings, he has picked up a great deal of knowledge along the way. He is "older than his years" in coaching experience.

More likely the Bills signed off on Hackett before hiring Marrone. Read carefully:

I'm thinking that Marrone had this move in mind right from the start. The above quote could easily be construed as evidence of this.

Only knock on that is Hacket telling recruits he was 100% staying not meshing, it true.

Even when he was on Jaurons staff, he worked very closely with the QB's and was involved in the game planning. He grew up with an intimate knowledge of the NFL, through his father, and much like the QB who grows up surrounded by NFL players ala the Mannings, he has picked up a great deal of knowledge along the way. He is "older than his years" in coaching experience.

Did you pull any muscles reaching for that?

Cool kind of the same reasons im onboard with the hire.

Wasnt sure if you knew him personally or something.

Edited by mob16151

One caveat, he was groomed by arguably one of the greatest coach in the modern history of the league. So this comparable is based strictly on age...watching that video with his commentary really displays his youthful zeal but I'M NOT FEELING THIS AT ALL. He's referencing Stonybrook...are you freaking kidding me, C'MON MAN !!!

OK, well Nathaniel Hackett was groomed by his Dad, Paul Hackett, since he was in diapers...so who has more experience now?

DO YOU WANT CUTTING EDGE OR EXPERIENCE. CHAN GALLEY HAD LOTS OF EXPERIENCE. IF HE BRINGS THE K-GUN BACK TO BUFFALO THAN I'M IN. LET HIM PROVE HIMSELF BEFORE YOU HANG HIM. I LIKE IT. FOR 13 YEARS THE BILLS HAVE DIPPED INTO THE SAME OLD COACHING POOL, TIME FOR CHANGE.

You could have said all this without yelling at me!!!

FWIW, I agree 1,000%