Bills hire Nathaniel Hackett for Offensive Coordinator

cmjoyce113

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hackett is young but let's not forget that Marrone has been a NFL OC and the Saints led the league in yards two of his three years. I don't think the Bills are at a deficit in offensive know-how. Hackett, given his parentage and upbringing, is already plenty bright and I suspect Marrone is confident he can mentor him to future heights.

Honestly, I was hoping the Bills would hire Hackett - though as an 'offensive consultant' or some such thing. As it is, I understand the move. Marrone has a monumental task in front of him. A trusted lieutenant who understands what he's about and what he's trying to accomplish is a very useful thing to have.

When I listened to the presser yesterday and Marrone said "especially on defense" when talking about the NFL experience of future coordinators, he sent us a huge hint about who might be his OC. The other big hint was that we read the Bills were granted permission to interview two DCs but there was no mention of OC interviewees. This hiring is not a surprise to anyone paying attention.

ANALYTICS!

By which, we mean, the hit to the pocketbook or lack thereof.

I really hope to be impressed by the DC, because right now I'm not sold.

Their job is not to "sell you", its to win games. I hope they could give 2 sh!ts about what makes us happy and get coaches that will help them win games.

I am shocked people are so accepting of this hire.

A 33 year old kid with a few years as a low level assistant in the NFL and TWO years in college is going to go up against a Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan defenses with either Fitz or a project rookie QB and succeed?

ON WHAT !@#$ING PLANET??!!!!???

Hmmmmmm.....this won't work because the experienced, veteran, genius guys we had were so successful?

More likely the Bills signed off on Hackett before hiring Marrone. Read carefully:

I'm thinking that Marrone had this move in mind right from the start. The above quote could easily be construed as evidence of this.

If this is indeed your interpretation of his statement & Hackett was his choice all along why would the previously posted SU statements of him remaining as the OC? Look I don't want to go back & forth here but we tried this before as I reference with the Gregg Williams hire and the subsequent novice coaching staff (do we have to go there). OBD doesn't have the foundation or the history to fall back on to not get this right, IMO. In all intent & purposes what has changed at OBD? Wilson not having the final say? If this is true, why would D. Marrone make it known that Mr. Wilson approved on his hire? Could be just to acknowledge (I hope) the owner. But really Ralph aside...doesn't this seem like a typical hire tried before, ie, Williams, Mularkey...the bigger question is are we gonna be tolerable during the process with these neophytes? Will the fan base give them the necessary time to accomplish their goal? I really wish for the best because I love this team but color me skeptical...GO Bills!

DO YOU WANT CUTTING EDGE OR EXPERIENCE. CHAN GALLEY HAD LOTS OF EXPERIENCE. IF HE BRINGS THE K-GUN BACK TO BUFFALO THAN I'M IN. LET HIM PROVE HIMSELF BEFORE YOU HANG HIM. I LIKE IT. FOR 13 YEARS THE BILLS HAVE DIPPED INTO THE SAME OLD COACHING POOL, TIME FOR CHANGE.

The irony being he coached under one of the worst offensive staffs in those 13

DO YOU WANT CUTTING EDGE OR EXPERIENCE. CHAN GALLEY HAD LOTS OF EXPERIENCE. IF HE BRINGS THE K-GUN BACK TO BUFFALO THAN I'M IN. LET HIM PROVE HIMSELF BEFORE YOU HANG HIM. I LIKE IT. FOR 13 YEARS THE BILLS HAVE DIPPED INTO THE SAME OLD COACHING POOL, TIME FOR CHANGE.

LOUD NOISES

(trying to get back on topic)

Edited by Punch

The Bills had 4 or 5 meetings with Marrone before hiring him depending on whose reportage you believe.

Does anyone really think that Nathan Hackett's name never came up as a candidate for OC before Marrone was hired?

Anyone?

That just means that Nix, Whaley and Brandon are as stupid as Marrone!!

You know what this means?

We are DOOMED!

OK, well Nathaniel Hackett was groomed by his Dad, Paul Hackett, since he was in diapers...so who has more experience now?

Your comparing Paul Hackett to Bill Belichick? Which mentor has the bigger impact on the game? GTFOH, C'MON MAN!

Young Hackett may know his stuff but he's been cutting his teeth the last few years against the likes of The Big East opponents (one of the weakest conference in CFB) and now strategizing against the likes of NFL coaches in his division (let alone the league). This has the making of a long adjustment period...I can just hear those comments from AVP when he was thrust into the OC position his first time. I hope the young man has his dads # on speed dial...

Edited by pimp 2

The irony being he coached under one of the worst offensive staffs in those 13

We just hired our own retread? Here's his bio

Prominent Players Coached • Terrell Owens, Lee Evans, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, Michael Clayton, Maurice Stovall, David Boston, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Time to bust out the hard liquor.

Hmmmmmm.....this won't work because the experienced, veteran, genius guys we had were so successful?

Who was that Ted Marchibroda?I can't recall any other that fit this profile in the teams history. Maybe you can explain...Chan was considered a good OC, which I still think he is and NOT a HC. Who else?

Who was that Ted Marchibroda?I can't recall any other that fit this profile in the teams history. Maybe you can explain...Chan was considered a good OC, which I still think he is and NOT a HC. Who else?

I think you had your irony switch disabled.