The new coordinators - newcomers or ex-HCs who will bolt?

Now that the focus shifts to our coordinators, what are your feelings on which way to go? If he doesn't get hired as a HC this time around, would you take Lovie Smith (as an example) as DC knowing that he'll bolt as soon as possible to take a HC opportunity if one comes along? Would a year or 2 of that experience be OK with you? Or would you prefer a new guy who is unproven at this level but will stay for a while?

I personally think a recently fired HC is more likely to stick around than a hot DC like Horton.

Either one I would love, but I think a guy like Lovie or Wisenhunt would be here longer than a Horton.

Agreed...If Horton does not get one of the current openings, he will be one and done with another good season as a DC...

I just can't see Lovie coming and working under a 1st time NFL HC...Maybe I'm wrong...I do think that should Lovie miss out on one of the current jobs there would be no better way to establish himself as a legit HC prospect again then to resurrect this terrible Bills Defense...I think in that case Lovie would be a one and done as well...

I'm just guessing it will not be a big name at DC...We'll see soon enough... B-)

I feel like the best way to go would be to get one of the big name DCs even if they are likely to be gone after a year or two IF you can also bring in an up and comer to one of the position coaches spots for the sole purpose of learning from that DC and be ready to step in when he leaves and keep some continuity. If you can't do that, then you would be completely starting over again as soon the DC leaves, and I would prefer someone who will be around for a while

I heard through a guy that played with him in college, he was bringing his whole staff from the 'cuse.

They are not happy about it.

Sorry no link, just hearsay I find reliable.

I believe I heard him say in the presser that he wanted his coordinators to have NFL experience which would fly in the face of what you stated unless the cuse OC and DC had NFL experience before going to cuse.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I believe I heard him say in the presser that he wanted his coordinators to have NFL experience which would fly in the face of what you stated unless the cuse OC and DC had NFL experience before going to cuse.

Yeah, I heard that also.

As much as I like the cuse, didn't pay attention to assitant coaches, guess we gotta wait and see.

Anyone have any info on OC or DC from cuse?

I heard through a guy that played with him in college, he was bringing his whole staff from the 'cuse.

Every interview I've ever read with an NFL GM,about the coach hiring process says the candidates thoughts on OC/DC are HUGE in considering if they should hire him. Surely the Bills would not have hired this guy if his answer was: "I'm bringing my whole college staff with me."

Every interview I've ever read with an NFL GM,about the coach hiring process says the candidates thoughts on OC/DC are HUGE in considering if they should hire him. Surely the Bills would not have hired this guy if his answer was: "I'm bringing my whole college staff with me."

Except Chan Gailey basically did that -_-

Marrone said he will look for coaches with NFL experience in his search for an offensive and defensive coordinator.

"We want to be innovative," he said. "We want to be on the cutting edge."

Marrone said he will not call offensive plays for the Bills, but he'll have the final say.

"I will not be calling plays, but everything will go through me," he said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8820882/doug-marrone-hired-buffalo-bills

Marrone sounds good so far. Bring in a staff that wants to be here and teach. 4-3 if we have the right players or switch. I like his confidence, he has time to bring in a staff before 5 other teams choose a HC.

NoSaint pointed out the New Orleans Saints OC, Pete Carmichael, has allowed his contract to expire and is currently available. He called the plays this year in NO, but it is believed Sean Payton will resume playcalling duties in 2013.

Carmichael became OC when Marrone left for Syracuse.

I think Horton from AZ gets the nod as DC unless AZ hires himas head coach obviously. A Dick Lebeau disciple if I remember correctly.

Horton is still under contract in Arizona, only the offensive coaches got fired...either he is a head coach somewhere or he will still be their DC

NoSaint pointed out the New Orleans Saints OC, Pete Carmichael, has allowed his contract to expire and is currently available. He called the plays this year in NO, but it is believed Sean Payton will resume playcalling duties in 2013.

Carmichael became OC when Marrone left for Syracuse.

In addition, Aaron Kromer, their OL coach, also had his contract expire. He's done good work there with making mid-round picks and journeymen like Zach Strief, Jahri Evans, and Brian de la Puente "good enough" to play. He may be willing to leave as well, for something like an Asst. HC/OL coach job under Marrone, knowing that Joe Vitt is the clear cut #2 behind Payton in NO

Edited by JM57

His one likely holdover from SU and possible DC will be Donnie Henderson (was SU Dbacks coach, but prior NFL DC with Jets, and was pretty good):

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/donnie-henderson/ce69c7a2-c47b-470e-a57f-fdbcc3c063a1

Donnie Henderson is entering his 10th season as an NFL assistant and first with the Cardinals after being hired to coach defensive backs on 2/22/10. Henderson comes to the Cardinals with 26 years of coaching experience including NFL jobs with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens.

Henderson spent the 2009 season as a volunteer defensive assistant with the California Redwoods of the UFL. He was the defensive backs coach with Jacksonville in 2008 after working as a consultant to Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis in 2007. He previously worked as the defensive coordinator for Detroit in 2006 as he helped the Lions defense rank 10th in the NFL with 30 takeaways.

He spent two seasons as the defensive coordinator for the New York Jets (2004-05) where he helped the Jets defense improve from 21stto 7th in the NFL in total defense after his first season. The Jets also improved from 23rd to 4th in points allowed and 28th to 5th in rushing defense. The team’s 261 points allowed in 2004 was good enough for 2nd in the NFL (Pittsburgh, 251) and ranked third-best in team history. They also had a league leading seven second-half shutouts and held nine teams under 100 yards rushing. Rookie linebacker Jonathan Vilma was named the 2004 AP Defensive Rookie of the Season. In 2005, the Jets finished second in the NFL in total passing yards allowed (172.2 avg.) and finished 5th with 21 interceptions.

Henderson began his NFL coaching career with Baltimore in 1999 as the assistant defensive backs coach until being promoted in 2000 to coach defensive backs. During Henderson’s tenure with the Ravens from 1999-2003, Baltimore ranked second in the NFL with 88 interceptions and he tutored a secondary that included Pro Bowlers S Rod Woodson, CB Chris McAlister and S Ed Reed.

In 2000, Baltimore set defensive records for fewest points allowed in a 16-game season (165), fewest rushing yards allowed (970) while also setting franchise records with 23 interceptions and leading the NFL with 49 takeaways. The Ravens secondary was responsible for 12 interceptions, six forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries.

Prior to joining the Ravens in 1999, Henderson was an assistant for 16 years at the collegiate level. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Utah State (1983-85) where he also coached linebackers for three seasons (1986-1988) before coaching defensive backs and serving as recruiting coordinator at the University of Idaho in 1989. He then spent two seasons at California (1990-91) as linebackers coach before joining the Arizona State staff where he coached safeties (1992-94) and defensive backs (1995-97). During Henderson’s tenure with Arizona State, former Cardinals safety Pat Tillman played linebacker (1994-97) for the Sun Devils. He spent the 1998 season as the defensive backs and assistant head coach at the University of Houston prior to joining the NFL.

Henderson played two seasons at Santa Monica Junior College before transferring to Utah State where he earned first-team Big West Conference honors as a senior cornerback in 1979. He was selected by the Detroit Lions in the 10th round (251st overall) of the 1980 NFL Draft. Born in Baltimore, MD, Henderson attended Locke High School (Los Angeles, CA).

I know you jest, but Oregon was running a 5-1-5 in the Fiesta bowl to stop Collin Klein.

only half-jest. We tried to force some of our DL into LB roles in 2011 (Spencer Johnson, Chris Kelsay). Houston started putting Mario into an LB role in 2011 also. If we could have enough guys athletic enough to do either, that could really be something. Who the hell do you block? Who's rushing? Who's dropping back?

Very good hypothetical. I would prefer the proven guy who's almost certainly a short-timer, whether that's a fired HC or not. (Monte Kiffen was mentioned in another thread as a possible DC, as an example.) Because even if the up-and-comer is really good, he'll still be a candidate for vacancies in the next couple years. Any successful coordinator usually gets HC interviews. And with a relatively inexperienced HC, I want more experience and a track record of NFL success for the coordinators.

Why would we want to go back to a 3-4 Defense? We have two good DT's, 2 good to serviceable 4-3 DE's, and maybe 1 good LB.

Is Alex Carrington part of that list. If not, he sshould be. He has earned the right to be part of that DL.

I have a friend who was on his staff at Syracuse and he said that that is definitely not confirmed yet. He said as of yesterday afternoon that he was in a "wait and see" mode.

“The coordinators will need to have thorough NFL experience, especially on the defensive side of the ball.”

http://profootballta...d-coordinators/

The new HC has spoken. But yea, hire the very best you can get at this point. Lovie Smith as DC if he doesn't get hired by San Diego, Philly, Arizona, Cleveland

Edited by FeartheLosing

I have a friend who was on his staff at Syracuse and he said that that is definitely not confirmed yet. He said as of yesterday afternoon that he was in a "wait and see" mode.

It's obvious he won't bring in entire staff, but this is the first.

I think the longer the searches go on the more he will pluck the people he is familiar with ( unfortunately - maybe)

Except Chan Gailey basically did that -_-

I have to agree. I know it's early in Marrone's tenure but we learned with Chan that you need experienced coordinators for the NFL not your buddies from the past.

Chan brought in friends and ex players as opposed to putting the best people in these positions. I hope we are not continuing the on the job learning process for coaches and coordinators that didn't translate into victories on the college level and probably won't on the pro level. Lets see what product Marrone puts on the field before we judge.