Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say that like it's a bad thing!

I gotta believe Nassib's on their radar and they may actually wheel a deal a bit with the 8th selection to land him at a more reasonable slot, adding another pick in the process. I have a suspicion the old "stand pat and pick the BPA" approach may be another trend Brandon & Company break this year...

Or if they like him so much as the "gushing" in this article, they may just sit pat and take him at #8.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000123802/article/doug-marrone-can-solve-buffalo-bills-ryan-fitzpatrick-problem

One thing's for sure: the senior bowl gets really interesting with him in it. Really curious to see his performance, he could shoot up draft boards by playing well.

I hope he does not garner too much attention and vaulting himself into the top 5. The real concern is that a majority of the teams ahead of us are QB Needy.

How do you like the Marone hire now? All Syracuse, all the time!

He must have quite an array of NFL contacts...LOL.

I still like what he's doing.... I take it you don't like hacket or pettine

Edited by OhIDunno

Amazing that these other teams looking for coaches can't seem to get their guy. I mean if any of them REALLY wanted Lovie or Whizz they wouldv'e locked em up by now. Cleveland fans are getting very frustrated. I'm convinced now that Doug Marrone would be standing at a podium in Cleveland, San Diego or some other NFL city if the Bills didn't hire him when they did.

Edited by zow2

Amazing that these other teams looking for coaches can't seem to get their guy. I mean if any of them REALLY wanted Lovie or Whizz they wouldv'e locked em up by now. Cleveland fans are getting very frustrated. I'm convinced now that Doug Marrone would be standing at a podium in Cleveland, San Diego or some other NFL city of the Bills didn't hire him when they did.

How about the joke of a search that the Bears process has become. They have interviewed 13 candidates so far!

How about the joke of a search that the Bears process has become. They have interviewed 13 candidates so far!

I could only imagine the madness that TBD would be if we didn't have our coach hired! Eagles, Cards, Bears, Chargers, (who else?), are all behind the 8 ball...

People can dislike the Marrone choice all they want, but the Bills got the guy they wanted. End of story.

As a 53 year old fan, I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see the Bills ever win a Super Bowl. Each year, there's a 1 in 32 chance. Given the odds, and the typical longevity of my family, I should experience the joy of witnessing just one Bills Super Bowl victory before I croak. Historically, however, the Bills have performed below probability. Hence my concern.

So here's my take on the coaching search. If we hired a retread like Lovie or Whisenhunt, we'd get a good-but-not-great choice. Lovie has only had 3 winning seasons in the last six. Whise hasn't had a winning season in the past three. Both have some strengths as coaches but neither would be the second coming of Marv Levy.

Marrone has never been a head coach in the NFL. We all know his accomplishments at New Orleans and Syracuse and we all know the weaknesses in his resume. None of us, though, can really know with absolute certainty how he'll perform with us. I think Russ and Buddy swung for the fences. They think and hope he will be an exceptional head coach. Lovie and Whise probably would have gotten the Bills into the playoffs once every 2 or 3 years. But I want more. I'm glad Bandon et al gambled on a homerun pick.

We have a HC who never called plays in the NFL. People said let him put a staff together. OK... We have an OC who never called plays in the NFL. We have a DC who may or may not have ever called plays in the NFL (some reports say Ryan gave up "some" play calling but took it back). Again, I'll just say it better all work.

Tim Graham on Shredd and Reagan said that the information he has and the information Jason La Canfora was reporting is that perhaps Marrone was not the first choice (Whiz didn't like our QB situation nor how we planned to address it - Full Disclosure: I would have disliked a Whiz hire as well).

As a 53 year old fan, I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see the Bills ever win a Super Bowl. Each year, there's a 1 in 32 chance. Given the odds, and the typical longevity of my family, I should experience the joy of witnessing just one Bills Super Bowl victory before I croak. Historically, however, the Bills have performed below probability. Hence my concern.

So here's my take on the coaching search. If we hired a retread like Lovie or Whisenhunt, we'd get a good-but-not-great choice. Lovie has only had 3 winning seasons in the last six. Whise hasn't had a winning season in the past three. Both have some strengths as coaches but neither would be the second coming of Marv Levy.

Marrone has never been a head coach in the NFL. We all know his accomplishments at New Orleans and Syracuse and we all know the weaknesses in his resume. None of us, though, can really know with absolute certainty how he'll perform with us. I think Russ and Buddy swung for the fences. They think and hope he will be an exceptional head coach. Lovie and Whise probably would have gotten the Bills into the playoffs once every 2 or 3 years. But I want more. I'm glad Bandon et al gambled on a homerun pick.

Homerun or homer pick?

We have a HC who never called plays in the NFL. People said let him put a staff together. OK... We have an OC who never called plays in the NFL. We have a DC who may or may not have ever called plays in the NFL (some reports say Ryan gave up "some" play calling but took it back). Again, I'll just say it better all work.

Tim Graham on Shredd and Reagan said that the information he has and the information Jason La Canfora was reporting is that perhaps Marrone was not the first choice (Whiz didn't like our QB situation nor how we planned to address it - Full Disclosure: I would have disliked a Whiz hire as well).

I have a REAL hard time believing the La Canfora stuff. The Bills really wanted a retread coach (Whis) with NFL experience, but because he questioned what they wanted to do at QB they instead went completely "green" with Marrone? Please. Graham should be smarter than to "report" that also.

Hackett has called plays at the Division I level for two seasons. Is it the NFL? No, but I've never called plays in the NFL either and think I could do a better job than Gailey did last season. It's not rocket science, and the kid has great bloodlines -- been around football and coaching his entire life. Plus, he and Marrone are already on the same page -- no learning curve required.

Pettine is a no-brainer great hire. Whether he played 2nd fiddle to Rex or not, he is another guy who has been around coaching his whole life and has had an opportunity to be a part of coaching some great defenses.

"It better work" is right. They all know that.

People can dislike the Marrone choice all they want, but the Bills got the guy they wanted. End of story.

Judging by the fact that 3 other teams interviewed him early in the process, it's possible the Bills got the guy other teams wanted.

Remember Marrone in his first press conference saying "I had choices."

Remember reports last Saturday that Cleveland was trying to decide who their first choice was, Kelly or Marrone?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Judging by the fact that 3 other teams interviewed him early in the process, it's possible the Bills got the guy other teams wanted.

Remember Marrone in his first press conference saying "I had choices."

Remember reports last Saturday that Cleveland was trying to decide who their first choice was, Kelly or Marrone?

I agree. I think Russ' past (bad) experiences getting coaches really helped him "school" the new Browns regime and a couple other teams. These other clubs were wooing Chip Kelly not even knowing if he was committed to coaching in the NFL? Meanwhile Russ and co. while conducting multiple interviews, identified the guy they wanted....a guy OTHER teams had high on their lists...and went ALL in to sign Marrone. Hopefully it works out for all of us but at least Buffalo got their guy. I do know some Browns and Bears fans and they are livid right now about their teams coaching search. I suspect after 4 teams get eliminated this weekend we may see a couple of those assistants join the speculation. Definitely McCoy (if Denver gets beat) will be hired by someone.

Edited by zow2

I think some folks are putting too much into Marrone's college record. If you look at Bililcheat's record before going to the Patsies, he had a losing record at Cleveland:

4 out of 5 losing seasons

36 wins / 44 losses (.450)

first season with the Pats (2000), went 5 and 11

Brady takes over in 2001 (after 2 games) and all of a sudden, Billy is a genius?

I guess my point is, the past does not necessarily determine the future. I am going to go into the 2013 season just like I did when Gailey was hired. I hope he can turn things around and get the Bills on track. It just does not matter what's in the past.

I am going to go into the 2013 season just like I did when Gailey was hired. I hope he can turn things around and get the Bills on track. It just does not matter what's in the past.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana. So of course it does matter.

But anyone who doesn't at least hope he can turn things around is not a fan in my opinion.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana. So of course it does matter.

But anyone who doesn't at least hope he can turn things around is not a fan in my opinion.

How is this "repeating the past?" We hired a new coach. How do other teams do it? Grow 'em from seeds?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I agree. I think Russ' past (bad) experiences getting coaches really helped him "school" the new Browns regime and a couple other teams. These other clubs were wooing Chip Kelly not even knowing if he was committed to coaching in the NFL? Meanwhile Russ and co. while conducting multiple interviews, identified the guy they wanted....a guy OTHER teams had high on their lists...and went ALL in to sign Marrone. Hopefully it works out for all of us but at least Buffalo got their guy. I do know some Browns and Bears fans and they are livid right now about their teams coaching search. I suspect after 4 teams get eliminated this weekend we may see a couple of those assistants join the speculation. Definitely McCoy (if Denver gets beat) will be hired by someone.

I can see that. The Bears have now interviewed 13 candidates!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120834/article/nfl-headcoaching-search-tracker

I'm not sold at all on Marrone. But, 13 interviews and still counting?