Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Dammit! It's a Brandon marketing choice and and an homage to his alma mater...not to mention a cost effective choice. Did the "no stone unturned" crew ask who the frick his DC and OC are gonna be? Shite...I'm trying to find a positive here and I can't. Can anyone talk me off the cliff?

I'm sure that they meant to ask him who he would bring on as DC and OC, probably just forgot.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saint record simplified. With Drew Brees as his QB the Saints made the playoffs in his the first year. Failed to make the playoffs the next two years. The year after he left they won the Super Bowl.

Totally ridiculous assessment. The defense was awful- hence Payton gave up a portion of his own salary and agreed to give Gregg 100% control over that side of the ball (essentially full head coach duties for the defense, could over rule Payton)

Gotta love the optimists.

They want so hard for this to be good.

So sad.

LOL.....at least I'm not having to repeat my "sad" posts already.

You've got nothing but your belligerence................

No facts, just bluster.

you say that like its a bad thing....he sits on the bench behind Fitz for at least half of next season(depending on how Fitz plays) then watch him shine....Nassib is gonna be a star! Not only that but he will be the second player for Buffalo from the Great Valley area of the Philly 'burbs...Joe Devlin being the first!

LOL. Down goes another two seasons.

LOL.....at least I'm not having to repeat my "sad" posts already.

You've got nothing but your belligerence................

No facts, just bluster.

Ive watched him for many years.

Do you have to give facts on why Dick Jauron was awful? Or could you simply state it?

Exactly.

An interesting note about coaching retreads:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130104/andy-reid/?sct=uk_wr_a1

Maybe this is an 'analytics' hire.

I guess he thought he "unturned every stone" in 6 days.

The prevailing criticism was that the Bills waited too long when they hired Gailey and the 'good' coaches were gone. It's stupid to be believe definitely can't win or definitely will win.

Admittedly, I have not seen Doug Marrone coach a single football game. Living in NC (originally from Rochester) for the past 15 years creates an entirely different collegiate base market of television games. However, I have seen every Bills game over the past 13 years (Sunday Ticket) and lots of other NFL games including those coached by Wisenhunt and L. Smith. It was with relief that I read we did not hire a recently terminated NFL head coach such as these two gentlemen. They both are knowledgable, competent coaches and have forgotten more about football than I will ever know. However, it seems that they were unable make meaningful in game adjustments or off season adjustments to place their teams in a position to progress and win during a game, during a season, or from season to season. I readily agree that this is more true of Wisenhunt than of L. Smith, but L. Smith put an offense out there first coached by M. Martz that was a passing attack without the necessary WR's or O Lineman, then replaced M. Martz and still couldn't figure out a way to protect J. Cutler.

Personally, I thought a Greg Roman or Bruce Arians may have been the best candidates we could hire given their NFL experience but perhaps they didn't want anything to do with the job the Bills were offering.

Marrone is a distinctly different HC hire than Gailey (who I didn't like from the start), from Jauron (who caused me to almost give up on the team when he was hired), and even from Wade Phillips. Wade Phillips is a classic example of the "Peter Principle" in which excellence in a certain area gets you promoted to the level of your incompetence. Coach Phillips is a hall of fame level defensive coordinator, and a below average NFL HC.

I dont know what we have in Marrone, and none of us will know for sure until next season, but at least we are moving in a different direction with this hire than any we have tried over the past 13 years. It may fail miserably, it may succeed wildly, but at least we aren't repeating the time worn mistakes of the past 13 years.

Go BIlls!

+1 This!

No. He is the worst coach we could have hired.

I'd rather have Jauron back.

Let me ask you, did Marrone make huge coaching gaffes at SU? Blow timeouts? Did he leave better players on the bench in favor of some senior? Was his 2 minute drill ineffective? Was his teams ill prepared? Did SU play uninspired? I really would like to know.

This may be the most narrow minded hire in the history of this team. If you dont think Brandon is 100% calling the shots you are sadly mistaken. Brandon is from Syracuse, grew up going to Syracuse games and selfishly, from a marketing perspective figures he can now pull from the central NY market. An 8-5 season in 2012, a 25-25 record is not really "turning things around at Syracuse." I guess we're shooting for mediocrity. Guarantee they waste a first round pick on a fifth round qb in Nassib too. Horrible pick. You suck Brandon.

Disclaimer: I'm not over the moon for this hire. However....

Syracuse, 2005-08 under Greg Robinson: 10-37, 3-25 in Big East play

Syracuse, 2009-12 under Doug Marrone: 25-25, 11-17 in Big East play

I may not be a mathematician, but by my count that's 15 more wins in 4 years, which averages out to an improvement of 3.75 wins PER YEAR, and 2 wins per season in the Big East.

How bad was Syracuse under Robinson? I ask you to look at the recap from this game in 2007: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272930183. That's Syracuse, the same school that produced Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Freeney and others in the "good years" BARELY BEATING UB, a historically bad football program. So yeah, actually, going 25-25 over 4 years was an improvement.

Again I say, how bad was Syracuse under Robinson? In the 2008 NFL draft, Syracuse had a grand total of ZERO players drafted. None. The last time that happened? 1975. Number of players from Robinson era drafted: 6 in 4 drafts. Number of players drafted from Marrone era: 8, thus far, in 3 drafts.

C'mon man

All of this talk about turning Syracuse around is overblown. Chip Kelly turned Oregon around. The Ducks were #4 in the country with the #2 overall offense. That's a turnaround! Marrone was 5-7 last year, he LOST 5 games this year. 8 wins in the Big East is nothing!

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Kelly inherited a top 10 team that is bankrolled by Nike. Marrone inherited a Cuse team that was probably worse than UB.

Was Marrone my 1st choice? Nope but I've been consistent in saying he a damn good football coach & a complete 180 from our last 2 coaches. Nassiq was a nobody and now there is talk about him being a 1st rounder.

And it's hilarious that 2 teams from the worst conference ever (Big East) curb stomped 2 from the best one ever (SEC).

I see A LOT of very upset optimists because the realists see that this was a truly horrible move.

And the funny thing is im USUALLY an optimistic. I supported Gailey from day 1. Jauron from day 1. Mularkey from day 1. Not this guy.

It sounds like you're usually on the wrong side of things. Since you're wrong so often then maybe this was a good hire. The Bills should just do the exact opposite of whatever you think.

Convincing teenagers to come to Syracuse is one thing. Running an NFL team is another. Of which he has no experience. And you guys are excited? I'm shocked. This guy isn't an offensive OR defensive genius. Unless they have a top notch OC and DC to announce as coming too then we are screwed

I don't think you need your HC to be a Offensive or Defensive genius. Your HC should be able to develop the team in all three phases. He should be able to motivate the team and bring a sense of direction. In fact, I would prefer that our HC not call any plays and focus on the game as a whole.