Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard Schefter on GameDay...basically said same things noted above. Called Marrone the "hottest candidate out there" and said Chargers had spent Saturday night meeting with him.

Hope all of the naysayers who call themselves fans can at least TRY to view a glass as half-full once in a while. It appears the Bills went out and got the job done here.

How could the majority of people on here hate a guy they know absolutely nothing about?! I don't know this guy, so this hire sucks. Have an open mind, do some research, and wait to see who the staff will be and the approach he takes before jumping all over this guy.

I can't say much about Marrone but I can comment about the hiring process in general. For a change the organization interviewed a wide range of good candidates and then made their selection. It seemed to me that the process was very compact, yet thorough. I'm not aware that any candidates declined to interveiw with the Bills.

I don't want to gratuitously bash the owner but it was refreshing not having him involved. With him inexplicable hiring decisions were the norm. With him out of the process there was a greater level of order and rationality.

Selecting a HC is the easy part. The real challenge is bolstering the roster and giving him a legitimate franchise qb to work with. Chan Gailey never had a realistic chance to succeed with the stable of qbs he had on his roster. If you don't have the tools to work with, it doesn't matter how effective you are as a HC. You will fail. The Gailey saga demonstrates that point. It's mostly about the makeup of the roster.

Initial knee jerk reaction to this news I just woke up to:

• Fresh blood...kinda like that idea.
  • OC for the Saints...kinda like that idea too, but...
  • The guy has a .500 record?
  • In a weak conference?
  • Pinstripe Bowl?
  • What happened to Love Smith, Chip Kelly and Wisenhunt?
  • Is this a pick based on getting a low-priced coach?
  • My reaction was similar when we hired Gailey and Jauron.

Another case of someone just looking at the numbers and not the big picture. He took over a program at Syracuse in total disarray and turned them around in 4 years winning 2 bowl games one against WV with a QB and player most see as the first player taken in upcoming draft

Again, look at the overall picture if ur going to complain about his final record

All of this talk about turning Syracuse around is overblown. Chip Kelly turned Oregon around. The Ducks were #4 in the country with the #2 overall offense. That's a turnaround! Marrone was 5-7 last year, he LOST 5 games this year. 8 wins in the Big East is nothing!

If ur going to knock him for his overall record you should at least mention that he took over a terrible program and turned it around rather quickly winning 2 bowl games but I'm guessing you didn't even know that n basing ur opinion just looking at his record

Nick Saban won multiple national championships, and is looking for another. How'd he turn out in the NFL?

Steve Spurrier was one of the most successful coaches in NCAA football history. How'd he turn out in the NFL?

BIG DEAL... college is NOT the NFL, and last time I checked, a fresh out of college hire hasn't won a Super Bowl since Dallas, the ONLY franchise to pull it off. That is a percentage so low that it is in single digits.

Marrone turned Cuse around all most immediately. With little talent he coached those kids to back to 8-5 seasons and bowl appearances. Pretty solid accomplishment, but does it warrant a NHL HC shot? Seems a little early to throw that at him. I say that because the Bills were the only team interviewing him. That makes me nervous. Marrone will have a huge challenge in front of him and will need a ton of help. Front office better have a plan for a OC and DC. I doubt Marrone has those relationships. ESPN just ran a peice on the hire and Herm Edwards had some nice things to say about the new coach.

Oh well, I know this, find a top QB to play in B-lo and Marrone will look like the next NFL genious and Brandon will be the genious who took a shot on him.

Good luck Doug! We're with you.

He interviewed all last night with San Diego

I am optimistic. If they had hired re-treads like Lovie or Wiz, I may not have re-upped my season tix. Though he was an NFL OC, I will be very interested in the staff he hires. We know what we would have gotten with Lovie, Wiz, et. al. just like we knew what we had with Fitz. Nobody knows what we have with Marrone...hopefully, that's a good thing.

how about jim harbaugh, jimmy johnson, barry switzer??? that argument is very weak and tired

Nick Saban won multiple national championships, and is looking for another. How'd he turn out in the NFL?

Steve Spurrier was one of the most successful coaches in NCAA football history. How'd he turn out in the NFL?

BIG DEAL... college is NOT the NFL, and last time I checked, a fresh out of college hire hasn't won a Super Bowl since Dallas, the ONLY franchise to pull it off. That is a percentage so low that it is in single digits.

You really don't understand college ball, do you. There is a reason it's called a program..it is different than the NFL. Very few programs get turned around quickly, especially one that was as low as Cuse was when he came in.. There is no draft, no trades, no waiver wire acquisitions. You stuck with what ya got when you get there.

Jesus people, please think before you spew.

I heard all of this crap when Gailey was hired. The day he was hired I posted that "Gailey will make the Jauron era look like the glory years." Today I will guarantee you that Marrone will not lead the Bills out of the basement in the AFCE. I can't help being right!