Per CBSSports, Bills coaching candidate names emerging...

Big Turk

The GM/HC connection is completely legit and had Lovie not had 2 additional years on his contract he'd have been out last year just as Angelo was shown the door. When that defense was young it was full of playmakers and 2 HOFers in Urlacher and Briggs and they along with Lovie and Ron Rivera was what took them to the Super Bowl. Once Lovie got that Super Bowl appearance under his belt he demanded more control and got it, and he then jettisoned Rivera. Lovie also has always had great special teams and played most games very close to the vest. To me, he is much more like Dick Jauron than anyone realizes. Also, he was dominated by playoff bound teams. Here is a link to a blog post about his tenure that speaks volumes if you ask me...http://www.dabears.c...k-at-Mediocrity

Also, he could not beat Green Bay with any regularity and has lost 8 of the last 9 against them.

you do realize Jimmors (the blogger) is just another poster like you and I, right? you should see his political posts....eh. the guy's out there.

and since when do people whine about their "weak" schedule when getting to the Superbowl? or when they win 3 NFC North titles? can I whine then that we had to get there with Rex freaking Grossman? or whine that our defense and ST had to bail him out in AZ that same year since he was crapping the bed? in fact, that is the perfect example of how hard they played and they didn't give up no matter what the score read. THAT is on Lovie. THAT is what he teaches. THAT and the record amount of takeaways. A SCORING DEFENSE! Jauron never taught that. Jauron never instilled any pride in players. He never pushed the defense to excellence. Lovie could use a strong OC, but as a HC he's head and shoulders above Jauron.

and I'm sorry, but you beat the teams put in front of you regardless of what their records are. you either win them or you lose them. we can't all be "blessed" with playing SF every week.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Lovie Smith. 3 losing seasons out of 9, I'd think that's a welcome change over 12 in 13.

His Bears teams have missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years...he'd fit right in with a franchise that's missed 13 years in a row.

3 division titles and 1 superbowl appearance in 9 years.

yeah, you should be so lucky.

Why are you here, troll? Go back to worshipping the Windy City.

NFC Championship last year and 10-6 losing out on a tie breaker this year.

yeah, you should be so lucky.

It's obvious from your avatar and signature that you have a hard-on for him. We get it. Would I hate a hire of Lovie Smith? No. But I certainly wouldn't 'Lovie' it, either. I think the Bills should aim higher. He's a solid 'settle', not a 'hit it out of the park' hire.

I'll tell you why I'm here...because I happen to like the Buffalo Bills and I would love to see you land a good coach. your team dumps all that money into Mario and he barely does squat this year. I would LOVE to see Lovie work with him and the rest of your defense and take your team to a winning season.

plus there is bad info going around here that only a Bears follower can correct. I would welcome you posting at a Bears board with firsthand Bills info.

Edited by Chicagoan

I am with the above guys, your absolutely insane if your talking about Lovie being a bad candidate for HC for us. I'd take 3 Division tiles and 1 SB appearance over the next 10 years any day! My brain cannot currently comprehend what it would feel like to see the Bills in a SuperBowl game. ^_^

I am with the above guys, your absolutely insane if your talking about Lovie being a bad candidate for HC for us. I'd take 3 Division tiles and 1 SB appearance over the next 10 years any day! My brain cannot currently comprehend what it would feel like to see the Bills in a SuperBowl game. ^_^

Look at my response to reddog. I never said it would be a bad hire and I wouldn't hate it. I just think they should aim higher, that's all.

Are there any Coordinators on teams that are in the Playoffs that are of interest to The Bills?

I hope the rush to get the HC signed doesn't end up as a repeat of Donna-the-ho's hire of Greggo, who impressed so much with the Daytimer index of assistant coaches that Tommie squealed in delight that he got his man. The Bills have been paying for that ever since.

Anyway, I can see this going down a few different paths. Obviously, Whaley - the prince in waiting - is comfortable with the Arizona Steeler staff. That stands to reason - he's familiar with them. So, does the hiring team make him/them/one of them an offer now or wait till they talk to Kelly (Chip that is) before making that decision?

If they leave AZ w/o a HC where does the bus go to next? Sure they want to talk with Gruden, but any interest in a guy like Holmgren?

Please dear gosh, don't let the bus go to SD. Buddy's thicker than fleas on a hound dog with them, and I do not want to see Norv marching up the sidelines on Sundays at The Ralph. I'd rather have Marty if they're going to go old school. EDIT: Unless he's the new OC. I can actually see that happening.

From ProFoosballTalks: Chip Kelly is interviewing with The Bills this weekend. (Iggles & Brownies too).

Edited by Nanker

Lovie Smith stands out from the rest of the list-- we're talking prolonged, almost consistent success as a HC in this league.

Whoever is running this coaching search, git er done.

Whaley, Nix, and the entire staff gets blown up and replaced when ownership changes upon Ralph's demise. Who in their right mind takes that HC job when six, count 'em, SIX others are available with stable franchises. You know the answer. We will get some college coach, just as we did Gailey. The only way it can end.

I'll tell you why I'm here...because I happen to like the Buffalo Bills and I would love to see you land a good coach. your team dumps all that money into Mario and he barely does squat this year. I would LOVE to see Lovie work with him and the rest of your defense and take your team to a winning season.

plus there is bad info going around here that only a Bears follower can correct. I would welcome you posting at a Bears board with firsthand Bills info.

Well, he may not have been the DPOTY, but he did have 10.5 sacks despite playing for 1/2 a season with a wrist that needed surgery...I can't exactly call that "barely doing squat".

Look at my response to reddog. I never said it would be a bad hire and I wouldn't hate it. I just think they should aim higher, that's all.

Aim higher?

Like who?

Lovie is a 'proven winner' as a head coach in the NFL. The guy gets fired after going 10-6. Has been to the Super Bowl.

Give me a more REALISTIC candidate?

It's obvious from your avatar and signature that you have a hard-on for him. We get it. Would I hate a hire of Lovie Smith? No. But I certainly wouldn't 'Lovie' it, either. I think the Bills should aim higher. He's a solid 'settle', not a 'hit it out of the park' hire.

Who's your hire then, genius? Are you a member of the Bills front office, is that why you're being so defensive?

Anyone who talks down Lovie Smith like you do has a vested interest somewhere, obviously.

MIke Mccoy of the Broncos should be the guy. What happens when you have a weak qb? Run the ball until you have the best run offense in the league.

Kelly/ Mccoy / Lovie 3 best choices..

Kelly would be the "fancy" choice.. Mccoy dont forget, WAS the reason Fox is still in Denver.. When Tebow came in, Fox was NOT the one who designed ANYTHING for that offense with a QB with no arm and b4 other teams got enamored with the spread option which was a product of so many of the young QB's that emerged being very athletic. Fox wanted to keep the offense very vanilla which they did for most games through the 1st 3 quarters and only let Tebow "do his thing" in the 4th Q and Mccoy was the guy running that offense. Obviously this year he had a toy at QB that ANY OC would die for in Peyton Manning but the fact is, Denver is the #1 seed in the AFC and that offense has been spectacular.. Manning alone, could make most teams O look dynamite but there is STILL an OC involved and he was able to basically SCRAP the enitre playbook from last yr with a Tebow led offense to a Manning style O. Thats not easy as easy as it sounds cuz obviously Manning knew that system inside and out, but D. Thomas and Decker are both young WR's and Thomas has emerged as great Deep threat and Decker as a great possession WR and both together combined with bringing in Stokley who has worked so well with Manning in past even tho Stokley has been irrelevant really past few yrs and come up with some crucial plays this yr. Mccoy doesnt a TON of credit, more so than Fox IMO... cuz if Mccoy didnt get what he got from Tebow last yr, and they bombed out and went 5-11 or 4-12, Fox may be where Gailey is... UE line!

you do realize Jimmors (the blogger) is just another poster like you and I, right? you should see his political posts....eh. the guy's out there.

and since when do people whine about their "weak" schedule when getting to the Superbowl? or when they win 3 NFC North titles? can I whine then that we had to get there with Rex freaking Grossman? or whine that our defense and ST had to bail him out in AZ that same year since he was crapping the bed? in fact, that is the perfect example of how hard they played and they didn't give up no matter what the score read. THAT is on Lovie. THAT is what he teaches. THAT and the record amount of takeaways. A SCORING DEFENSE! Jauron never taught that. Jauron never instilled any pride in players. He never pushed the defense to excellence. Lovie could use a strong OC, but as a HC he's head and shoulders above Jauron.

and I'm sorry, but you beat the teams put in front of you regardless of what their records are. you either win them or you lose them. we can't all be "blessed" with playing SF every week.

Yes I realize he's a blogger. I was pointing more to the statistics he presented which are all true. When you build a team with success predicated on turnovers you get what happened to the Bears this season. When the turnovers don't come you fail. The Bears season was so similar to the Bills 2008 season it's kind of scary. Flukey wins to get off to a great start only to stop getting favorable bounces which started an epic collapse. Again, if Lovie could hire a competent OC this discussion wouldn't even be happening because he'd still be in Chicago.

The two on that list that make me the most unhappy are Whisenhunt and Grimm. Was AZ's offense something to emulate? Were they involved in the decision to hand the reins to Kolb? Were they involved in the decision to not have a decent backup QB?

Too much sounds too familiar.

Completely agreed. A couple of bums.

In all seriousness, who is out there with a better proven track record that would actually come here? Most of the candidates that people are high on are coaches who people "think" can be great NFL coaches? Do we want that when we half of our roster is already players that fit that description?

His Bears teams have missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years...he'd fit right in with a franchise that's missed 13 years in a row.

You are nuts. The Bills haven't hired a coach with a resume even close to that since they hired Chuck Knox ages ago. We have tried the up and coming coordinators with Mularkey and Williams. We have tried the retread route with Jauron and Gailey. Why not try someone who is actually carrying a resume with some NFL success as a head coach in it? His Super Bowl appearance, division titles and winning records aside, the fact that he kept a job for 9 seasons in a football crazed city should speak volumes by itself.

the fade was the direct result of rotating that oline the 2nd half of the year. everyone was hurt. Lost Lance Louis (our best mediocre olineman), benched Carimi and replaced him with Scott, then made Carimi a guard b/c Spencer went down. put in James Brown from off the street. It was a joke what was happening on that line. Cutler getting cheap shotted into a concussion during the Houston game and then missing the SF game didn't help. No way Campbell (or anyone else for that matter) could play behind that line. Campbell was sacked 5 times by Aldon Smith, for God's sake!

bordering on irrelevance for 6 years is a bit extreme too. they won the NFC North in 2010. and were 7-3 before Cutler and Forte went down. no reason to think they couldn't have made the playoffs last year with Cutler and Forte in. If we wouldn't have split with MN, we'd be there this year instead of them. Not really so irrelevant.

Yes and of the fired HCs, Lovie is the one that makes the most sense. Plusses:

• Strong defense year after year
  • Coached a cold-weather, outdoor stadium team
  • Good track record of successful seasons

Negatives:

• Nearly clueless on the O-side
  • Loyal to a fault regarding his coordinators. E.g. took a long time to kick pass-happy Martz in the rear and make him balance the O
  • Poor record versus a key divisional opponent (Packers)

Neutral:

• Boring press conferences
  • Perceived laid-back style (is this true in the locker room ?)

IMHO, the Bears made a big mistake by firing Lovie. And the candidates they are interviewing don't inspire much confidence either save for McCoy: offensive coordinators Mike McCoy (Broncos), Tom Clements (Packers) and Mike Sullivan (Buccaneers) and special teams coaches Keith Armstrong (Falcons) and Joe DeCamillis (Cowboys). Really ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago