Ken Whisenhunt for HC?

PromoTheRobot

Ken Whisenhunt?

Who dreams up this crap! Why would the Bills fire a mediocre head coach (Gailey) for another proven loser?

Has anybody seen how bad Arizona played under Whisenhunt? This is total madness.

The next idiot idea would be to hire Jim Haslett as head coach.

Well, I did see the Cardinals in the Superbowl with Wisenhunt...so I guess not always mediocre! And, there are worse ideas than Haslet, but, admittedly, Jim was not the brightest bulb in the string when he was here.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

I'd be surprised if the Bills don't take a run at Ken Whisenhunt among their head coaching options. He has some ties there.

PTR

I actually think he did a decent job in AZ with the tools he had. He certainly took them farther than any coach since Wade has taken the Bills.

If the Bills can land a decent QB in FA and draft another to bring along and compete, Whisenhunt could be the right guy for the job. I think with the exception of QB, any OC can see that there is talent across our o-line, at tail back, and at receiver. There is also a lot of young talent on the defense as well as veteran talent.

For Whisenhunt there are definately worst places to land than in Buffalo. He would have a friend and former colleague in line for the GM role, and he would inherit a pretty young roster that aside from a few missing pieces could easily be coached to turn the corner. There are dynamic skill position players in Spiller and Johnson on offense as well as solid talent across the offensive line.

The defense is an enigma to me, but I do believe the right DC could drastically improve this unit. I personally believe that striking out on the early picks for McCargo and Troup set the d-line back for years and we are still a solid 2-gap d-tackle away from being a force against the run. Kyle is a good pass-rushing tackle that can be moved around on passing downs and is great on stunts, but he has struggled when teams run right at him this year. Aaron Williams is still a question mark, but Gilmore is solid and Searcy is coming on and if they can keep Byrd they have enough to build around in the secondary.

I would like the Whisenhunt hire.

First of all if he is hired you have to think it is because Whaley wants to work with him.

I like the fact that he has been to the Super Bowl. Whisenhunt saw first hand you need a qb. He also learned this leason over the past couple of seasons with the situation he had in Arizona. I am sure if he was hired he would be on board with making QB a priority from the start.

To me Whisenhunt is exactly the type of guy who would get the respect from the players Chan could not get. Other then Whisenhunt i would like to see Lovie brought in for the same reasons as above.

I would like the Whisenhunt hire.

First of all if he is hired you have to think it is because Whaley wants to work with him.

I like the fact that he has been to the Super Bowl. Whisenhunt saw first hand you need a qb. He also learned this leason over the past couple of seasons with the situation he had in Arizona. I am sure if he was hired he would be on board with making QB a priority from the start.

To me Whisenhunt is exactly the type of guy who would get the respect from the players Chan could not get. Other then Whisenhunt i would like to see Lovie brought in for the same reasons as above.

Who didn't respect Chan?

I want Lovie, but I think we're gonna get Whisenhunt. Because Whaley knows him (and that's so important, you know, like Levy knew Jauron).

This from Whaley:

"We go way back. We won some Super Bowls together so I have high regard for his coaching acumen" said Whaley. "Personally I know him and we'll see what happens. I know he's got a lot of opportunities. We haven't decided. We still have to figure out what we're going to do, but I can provide some insight on how he performed when I was with him."

His record does not impress me. Had two good (improving) years w the Cards, other than that, it's a lot like the Bills (sad and uninspiring).

2007 8-8

2008 9-7

2009 10-6

2010 5-11

2011 8-8

2012 5-11

If we end up w Whisenhunt, I'll be sick - would rather have stayed w Gailey and that ain't saying much.

Edited by Georgia Bill

Give it up folks. Who will buying tickets with guy at the helm. No more retreads!

I don't even have the energy to rebut this<<<<<Barely had the energy to type this sentence<<<<Or this one<<<<<or this one<<<<<<or this one<<<<<<Or this one<<<<<<<<Or this one<<<<<<Or this one<<<<<<<<Or this one....HELP!!!!!!! I've fallen down a dark and dangerous hole

If it was going to be Ken Whisenhunt I honsestly would have rather just kept Gailey.

Agreed. Read somewhere that Whisenhunt is one of the worst violators of punting inside the opponents 40 yard line. Thus the name Whisenpunt. Can't stand when coaches do that. Aggressive? Cutting Edge? Forward Thinking? NO, NO, and NO!!!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I don't even have the energy to rebut this<<<<<Barely had the energy to type this sentence<<<<Or this one<<<<<or this one<<<<<<or this one<<<<<<Or this one<<<<<<<<Or this one<<<<<<Or this one<<<<<<<<Or this one....HELP!!!!!!! I've fallen down a dark and dangerous hole

. Your special ed! Edited by roush

Whisenhunt has a degree in engineering from a top engineering school (georgia tech) and was an eagle scout (looked it up on wikipedia). More importantly, he played the position that seems to produce a lot of coaches - tight end (ditka, andy reid, mike mccarthy, mike mularkey, bill belichik [in college], mike tomlin [college again], etc.) whisenhunt played for seven years as a reserve TE in the Nfl. It's a bit like catcher in baseball (it's amazing how many good coaches were former catchers) in that you have know multiple facets of the game - the run game, the passing game, blocking schemes, etc. it sorta reminds me of joe girardi: a catcher with a degree in engineering from northwestern who did a surprisingly good job with a sad sack franchise (the marlins) in his first head coaching job.

I'm not saying he's the best choice, but his background is pretty good, at least on the surface.

Ken Whisenhunt?

Who dreams up this crap! Why would the Bills fire a mediocre head coach (Gailey) for another proven loser?

Has anybody seen how bad Arizona played under Whisenhunt? This is total madness.

The next idiot idea would be to hire Jim Haslett as head coach.

Agreed, i would rather take my chance on a college coach with an unproven record of mediocrity than a proven medicore guy like this.

I don't understand the hostility to Wisenhunt, although I admit that I don't know that much about him. Seems like he is a pretty good HC who fell victim to some really bad QB play this year. As far as I can tell, he took a perpetually soft team and turned them into a pretty tough one. I'd like to hear from someone from AZ who follows the team more closely though.

Because this is not good enough:

Ken Whisenhunt

Season Team Record

2012 Arizona Cardinals 5-11

2011 Arizona Cardinals 8-8

2010 Arizona Cardinals 5-11

2009 Arizona Cardinals 10-6

2008 Arizona Cardinals 9-7

2007 Arizona Cardinals 8-8

Might as well go 6-10 into the forseeable future.

Thx to voodoo poonani for the data.

Because this is not good enough:

Ken Whisenhunt

Season Team Record

2012 Arizona Cardinals 5-11

2011 Arizona Cardinals 8-8

2010 Arizona Cardinals 5-11

2009 Arizona Cardinals 10-6

2008 Arizona Cardinals 9-7

2007 Arizona Cardinals 8-8

Might as well go 6-10 into the forseeable future.

Thx to voodoo poonani for the data.

I'm not saying i endorse him as a hire, but take a look at arizona's record the previous 25 years. They're a horrible franchise with an owner who is worse than wilson. My point is to look at context instead of a thin "scoreboard!" sort of analysis.

I think Whizzy should be at the top of the Bills list along with Smith. There are, oh, a bagillion examples coaches having success in the NFL once they get a good QB, and not that many examples of coaches doing well w/o one. With Chan you had someone who coached scared and made mind-numbing in-game decisions. KW appears to be a good football mind and game manager, and someone who actually succeeded when he had a good QB, so we know he can do it if he has the tools. Hire him, get him a QB and we'll be good to go.

Whisenhunt has a degree in engineering from a top engineering school (georgia tech) and was an eagle scout (looked it up on wikipedia). More importantly, he played the position that seems to produce a lot of coaches - tight end (ditka, andy reid, mike mccarthy, mike mularkey, bill belichik [in college], mike tomlin [college again], etc.) whisenhunt played for seven years as a reserve TE in the Nfl. It's a bit like catcher in baseball (it's amazing how many good coaches were former catchers) in that you have know multiple facets of the game - the run game, the passing game, blocking schemes, etc. it sorta reminds me of joe girardi: a catcher with a degree in engineering from northwestern who did a surprisingly good job with a sad sack franchise (the marlins) in his first head coaching job.

I'm not saying he's the best choice, but his background is pretty good, at least on the surface.

1. what does engineering have to do with football? 2. what does scouting have to do with football? 3. how did former TE Mularkey do as Bills HC?

There is only one thing to look at: proven WINNING RECORD as a HC in the NFL. Not Whisenhunt.

I'm not saying i endorse him as a hire, but take a look at arizona's record the previous 25 years. They're a horrible franchise with an owner who is worse than wilson. My point is to look at context instead of a thin "scoreboard!" sort of analysis.

That context helps a little, but a losing record is still a losing record. And if Wilson really is handing the keys to the kingdom to Russ, even that context may misleading. I think we need a proven winner.

I think Whizzy should be at the top of the Bills list along with Smith. There are, oh, a bagillion examples coaches having success in the NFL once they get a good QB, and not that many examples of coaches doing well w/o one. With Chan you had someone who coached scared and made mind-numbing in-game decisions. KW appears to be a good football mind and game manager, and someone who actually succeeded when he had a good QB, so we know he can do it if he has the tools. Hire him, get him a QB and we'll be good to go.

If we had a good QB, I may be inclined to give him a chance, but we don't, and we won't, unless we get lucky in rd 2. We need someone who can win with a journeyman QB and/or a project rookie. Tall order I know.