Buffalo Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

scribo

Best of luck to Chan. I'm sure he's as sorry as any of us here that it didn't work out, and I think we should all be able to agree that it wasn't for lack of his trying. I wish him well wherever he ends up. As others above have stated (my take is much similar to SJBF's in a number of his posts above), I think they needed to let him go after the team underachieved this year with a good number of pieces apparently in place, but I take no joy in someone else's firing, particularly someone who seemed like a good guy trying his best.

Here's hoping that the next one works out better, both for him and us....

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they'd better hire a coach who's got all the parts pretty much lined up. Unless Gruden can sign Jay and Zimmer to come with him, I suspect Gruden isn't it. Doubtful a college coach either. If this is true, likely going to be Turner or Lovie. Otherwise we are behind the 8 ball with a lot of coaching spots.

I read last week that Reid was calling around getting a staff lined up in case he was fired by the Eagles. He may be able to get to a new team with ready to roll.

Chan was successful in other places but he did not have key elements to do it here. He did not have a QB to execute his vision for the offense. Too many injuries to a key areas of the team and a defense that was undisciplined. Chan, good luck sir. You gave your best shot and it was short of the mark.

I'd say to Chan thanks for taking the job nobody else wanted and fixing a dysfunctional locker room.

Whatever success the team experiences in the near future will be built upon the foundation of your character and the values you bestowed on all of the young men on the roster.

This ^ Thanks Chan and all the best (but it really had to happen for the best of the Bills, sorry).

Up until a few games back, I was okay giving Chan another year as long as he was willing to move on from Fitz. However, over the past few games, watching the questionable clock management, players giving up, and overall non-use of TJax, it's time.

I've always like Chan personally and am sad to see him upset. It's a business move and nothing personal. As for Nix, I actually don't have an issue with him. Outside of Chan, who I believe he trusted to make coaching and qb decisions, he made most of the calls that most of us would have made.

With that, I would love to see a Coach brought in who uses his team. Not someone who both coaches the team and offense or defense. I want a head coach, an o and d coordinator who each do their own thing. And we need to stop getting players coaches. There needs to be some fear in this team

like this post.

The thing I would like to add is Chan didn't use all his weapons.

I thought Brad Smith was going to have a bigger role in the offense. The wildcat was working for a bit early last year but Chan got away from it.

Marcus Easley is another player I would have liked to see more of. You cant teach speed.

Freddy and CJ should have been on the field together way more often.

We need a HC not a Coordinator that is also the HC.

I'd say to Chan thanks for taking the job nobody else wanted and fixing a dysfunctional locker room.

There just wasn't enough talent under center and out wide to make your offense work, and not enough urgency to get a high priced revamped defense returning on investment.

Whatever success the team experiences in the near future will be built upon the foundation of your character and the values you bestowed on all of the young men on the roster.

Good luck, god speed and enjoy not having to face the press taking heat over lack of execution or spillers snaps.

Late to the thread as I was on the road all day, but...

Great Post! Agree 100%. The change had to be made, but I do appreciate all that Chan did do and tried to do for this team even

though it ultimately didn't work out.

And how could anyone gripe about what he said...He just got fired by a team and then holding

back tears he says he'll still pull for this team. Despite his record Chan will always be a Bill to me.

I know I will continue to pull for Chan as well, wherever he goes!

Edited by folz

He could easily pick up OC work somewhere, imo. As much **** as he gets for his playcalling, he turned our offense into something respectable with a crap QB, crap line (past three steps), and zero talent at WR save for one shifty route runner.

I doubt it happens but in terms of team needs I think it makes most sense for him to go to jets as OC. But could chan and ryan co-exist?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I believe you just showed that Gailey is not a good OC.

I am saying a head coach wouldn't let that call made in a important situation, Chan has runs a exciting offensive but he makes the wrong calls in the wrong situation, he is kinda like Wade Phillips, Wade is great at defence but is a bad head coach,

Chan should just stick to just being an offensive coordinator.

Chan didn't do the best job at putting his players in a position to win. He had to much faith in Fitz who had proven time and time again he can't perform under heat. It makes me sick seeing all those passes on 3rd and short with a back like cj. He did ok with the screens but overused them to the point where a defense expected them. And what about Tavaris?? Not one snap. Waste of trading that draft pick. He made his own bed

One win against a winning team during his entire tenure should tell the story. He doesn't know how to win and isn't dynamic enough as a coach to change his game plan. Good riddance (again) to another failure of a coach after Marv.

I am saying a head coach wouldn't let that call made in a important situation, Chan has runs a exciting offensive but he makes the wrong calls in the wrong situation, he is kinda like Wade Phillips, Wade is great at defence but is a bad head coach,

Chan should just stick to just being an offensive coordinator.

What? He's an awful OC. He's had games where the YPC is better than the YPP and yet he continues to pass the ball. Just plain stupid. Let him coach college where that will actually work with the right talent. LOL.

I agree chan is an awful OC. To all who say he knows how to call plays clearly have little knowledge of the game. Where was the play action?? Even a teams passing scheme needs to revolve around a dynamic runner like cj yet chan was clueless.

I agree chan is an awful OC. To all who say he knows how to call plays clearly have little knowledge of the game. Where was the play action?? Even a teams passing scheme needs to revolve around a dynamic runner like cj yet chan was clueless.

CJ said yesterday that Chan was a genius and a great OC and he never had any kind of year running the ball even in college than he did this year, and the designs of the plays were a huge reason. I heard it on GR.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Chan was a lot better than the team's record would indicate. He took a stagnant offense & made it exciting. A lot of what screwed this team was poor execution by the players. Fitz's last minute turnovers on game winning/tying drives was not a product of bad coaching, nor were the untimely fumbles by CJ & FJ, the dropped passes or bad calls.

Certainly he takes some blame for the personnel decisions that were within his control, & a few questionable play calls along the way, but by & large he was good at running the offense. The fact that the boy geniuses at TBD would have called different plays means nothing to me. You'd think the dolts running NFL teams could save themselves a lot of trouble by checking in here to find out what Madden football veterans have to say about calling a game.

I know that Gailey will probably never see any of our posts, but it makes me feel better to do this any way.

Thanks for trying so hard Chan, you were honest and took a lot of heat trying to build a winner around a legacy of very questionable draft picks and castoffs. You did a good job of putting guys in position to make plays and the players did not make enough plays to allow you to keep your job. This failure is theirs although you are too much of a gentleman to not take the bullet for them. Dropped passes, fumbles, interceptions, and balls that bounced off the turf or were no where near their intended target... the coach takes the blame.

I wish Wannestedt and our defense would have come through for you a bit more. I think everyone was counting on that and it didn't happen when it would have counted.

Best of luck and if you take on an OC position please make it an NFC team:)

I'm not sure this firing actually took place. I just went to NFL.com, and the only reference to the firing on the front page is a Stevie Johnson tweet. No headline. No story. No nothing.

Or maybe the NFL just doesn't care.

His bio is still up on BuffaloBills.com:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/chan-gailey/dadb1683-1a19-4811-83c0-b9347f2240ba

Best of luck to Chan. I'm sure he's as sorry as any of us here that it didn't work out, and I think we should all be able to agree that it wasn't for lack of his trying. I wish him well wherever he ends up. As others above have stated (my take is much similar to SJBF's in a number of his posts above), I think they needed to let him go after the team underachieved this year with a good number of pieces apparently in place, but I take no joy in someone else's firing, particularly someone who seemed like a good guy trying his best.

Here's hoping that the next one works out better, both for him and us....

how-about-no-bear.jpg

Dude CJs never gonna B word about a previous coach with whom he had success with. It's just called being a true professional in all aspects of your NFL career. But look at his avg yd per run last yr at 5.2! What coach will not give him more carries a whole season later! Ridiculous. I pity any team hires him as OC.