Ravens fire Cam Cameron (O Coordinator)

NoSaint

Must take some spherical objects to make such a change a few weeks before the playoffs. Havent' followed the Ravens closely enough to know whether this a correct decision. Can Caldwell just slide in? Very interesting for the playoffs.

Caldwell has been QB coach, so i imagine hes pretty familiar with the offense. not sure his full history, having come from indy there is always the question regarding how much was manning.

similar to the Bills. Ray Rice was not getting the ball enough. They were throwing a lot more. Rice got a few more touches yesterday but I think that was part of the problem.

the offense devolved into either rice or throwing a mile down field, and rice was getting phased out lately.

if he was being told by harbaugh to get his act together, and continued with his own plan the firing makes a lot of sense.

Maybe Chan will fire his OC. Oh wait.

Ironically, rumor has it that Cameron was high on Nix's list of coaching candidates when Chan was hired, but there was concern about selling him to the fanbase after he led Miami to a one-win season. (No I don't have a link - it's a rumor I've heard and trust.)

Maybe Chan will fire his OC. Oh wait.

Ironically, rumor has it that Cameron was high on Nix's list of coaching candidates when Chan was hired, but there was concern about selling him to the fanbase after he led Miami to a one-win season. (No I don't have a link - it's a rumor I've heard and trust.)

Now that he's been fired as OC at a critical juncture of the season, he's a shoe in for Bills.

Hmm a division leading 9-4 team isn't satisfied with substandard coaching and makes a move? Yet the Bills with a disappointing 5-8 make no changes? Damn it sucks to be a Bills Fan these days. I'm so very tired of the Buddy-Chan-Fitz triumvirate. We must demand change!!!

You should have heard the talk radio in Baltimore this morning...the vitriol being spewed towards Cam Cameron AND Joe Flacco for that matter. You would have thought the Ravens were 4-9 or 3-10. They will not stand for mediocrity in that town. They may even look for a new QB in the offseason.

Hmm a division leading 9-4 team isn't satisfied with substandard coaching and makes a move? Yet the Bills with a disappointing 5-8 make no changes? Damn it sucks to be a Bills Fan these days. I'm so very tired of the Buddy-Chan-Fitz triumvirate. We must demand change!!!

what change do you make today that improves the situation?

i want names, how it helps, and why now is better than in a few weeks and not just "it couldnt be any worse"

for the ravens it would work like this: Lets get rid of cameron because he isnt calling good games down the playoff stretch. we need to do it now because it will hopefully improve our odds to win in the playoffs as we have an experienced veteran coach in jim caldwell ready and he is willing and able to execute our coaches vision with a few weeks to prepare for that run.

thats a bit ballsy, but its well reasoned and a calculated choice too.

for the bills it currently sounds like: im pissed fire them all i dont care who takes over, it couldnt be worse and it needs to happen now because they deserve to be punished.

i want names, how it helps, and why now is better than in a few weeks and not just "it couldnt be any worse"

for the ravens it would work like this: Lets get rid of cameron because he isnt calling good games down the playoff stretch. we need to do it now because it will hopefully improve our odds to win in the playoffs as we have an experienced veteran coach in jim caldwell ready and he is willing and able to execute our coaches vision with a few weeks to prepare for that run.

for the bills it currently sounds like: im pissed fire them all i dont care who takes over, it couldnt be worse and it needs to happen now because they deserve to be punished.

Has nothing to do with being punished. The bottom line is the less than satisfactory results or the baby as Nix has said in the past. The "baby" is still ugly after three years of this regime.

It's not my responsibility to name viable GM and Head Coach candidates, That's for the Bills to know. What I do know is that this current regime needs to be changed regardless of whether it's now or after the season.

It is obvious now that they simply will not lead this team to any sustained level of excellence.

You should have heard the talk radio in Baltimore this morning...the vitriol being spewed towards Cam Cameron AND Joe Flacco for that matter. You would have thought the Ravens were 4-9 or 3-10. They will not stand for mediocrity in that town. They may even look for a new QB in the offseason.

Indeed. Fanbase is tired of having superior talent & only 1 ring to show for it. Heat's on Sucko now that his scapegoat is gone.

I always thought hed be a great HC. Maybe we could get him

(Cue the people that dont understand sarcasm)

What is sad is Cam Cameron is exactly the kind of cast of retread that the Bills will hire as the next HC.

Ravens fired Cam Cameron because of a two game skid. Just two straight losses, and one was an OT loss.This guy Cameron was very good in San Diego as OC, Shottenheimer as HC and Wade as DC. He was good enough to get a HC job with Miami (who never gave him long enough to develop much with a lousy roster...)

Do you think this would ever happen in Buffalo?

Gailey is 15-30 as a head coach, yet he is as safe as ever...

How on earth is he still here?

If there was no talent on the roster, it MIGHT make sense, be we have talent!

It just shows some teams are serious about winning and some are not:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2012/12/10/cam-cameron-fired-jim-caldwell/1758575/

Ravens fired Cam Cameron because of a two game skid. Just two straight losses, and one was an OT loss.This guy Cameron was very good in San Diego as OC, Shottenheimer as HC and Wade as DC. He was good enough to get a HC job with Miami (who never gave him long enough to develop much with a lousy roster...)

Do you think this would ever happen in Buffalo?

Gailey is 15-30 as a head coach, yet he is as safe as ever...

How on earth is he still here?

If there was no talent on the roster, it MIGHT make sense, be we have talent!

It just shows some teams are serious about winning and some are not:

http://www.usatoday....ldwell/1758575/

It wasn't just the 2 game skid. it is much more than that. Complaints about the offense go back to last year.

I'm glad you ask. What should Buddy do? I'm not here to say he should fire Gailey now, but I am here to say that Gailey has underperformed, and in contrast to Baltimore, we SHOULD fire him and try someone else. However, as Fans of the Bills, we are sitting here and saying, what can our franchise do? We know a lot of big name coaches WONT take the job. Yet, we know that alone doesn't mean a coach can't win in Buffalo - it just means the conditions aren't as favorable for winning here as elsewhere. I will put a name out there, though - Marty Schottenheimer. I bet he'd take the job. Why was he overlooked when Nix hired Gailey? I wonder if Marty would insist on having GM power? That would undermine Nix and it would potentially threaten Wilson. Now, if Wilson won't allow a guy who could rocket us into the playoffs because he doesn't want to have to hand over his control, well, then that is something we Fans should STOP supporting.

My argument isn't so much an argument - I'm merely putting it out there that when this season is over, if Gailey and Wanny go into next year still intact it isn't because there was no BETTER option, but rather because WINNING SuperBowls is NOT the top priority around here - and once again, we as Fans have only one way to combat that - stop supporting the team, or pay and shut up.

I mentioned this in another thread.

Cameron was just another moron NFL coordinator that wasn't smart enough to consistently get his best player the ball.

He talked a lot about limiting touches for Rice to keep him fresh, and he used that as an excuse to throw all the time with Flacco.

But guess who was in the backfield, blocking 275 lb blitzing linebackers while Flacco dropped back? Yep. Ray Rice.

People say this is a passing league now, like it has something to do with quarterbacks being more talented today.

But the reality is, most coaches today don't have the DISCIPLINE or TOUGHNESS required to stick with the running game.

Oh boy. I can just envision a presser after the season. Chan comes to the podium and says "Good Morning. Buddy & I have had extensive conversations and I've decided it was best for the team that Curtis Modkins be released of his of OC duties" (rather than get my ass kicked to the curb). Chan then introduces Cameron as the OC.

Now... that's just fantasy folks. In reality, if you are Cam Cameron, why the hell would you want to be the Bills OC... especially knowing you have a noodle armed, inaccurate QB, no viable backup QB, and a head Coach that ain't going to allow you to be any more agressive at play calling than he is? Cam would have to be totally stupid or stone ass drunk to accept the Bills OC

Cam got canned because Flacco didn't develop under him. Well, Rivers sure did. Flacco has all the tools.... except, he has the Bledsoe disease... a slow ass brain!!! The word has been out for a couple of years that Flacco does not process information (his reads) and consistently release the ball on time. He needs an extra second or two to process the the read and release. Something no offensive line in the world can accomodate.

But all is not lost. Bills don't get Cameron, but, there is a gigundo rumor eminating from Baltimore today.... Joe Flacco will become a free agent after the season. What are the chances the Ravens will franchise him at a $16M price tag or re-up him for serious starting QB coin? Fitz is bad, I agree, but a young Bledsoe wouldn't be much different... the bottom line would be the same. But then again, Bills-Flacco seems like a typical Bills move... just like Stevie, Merriman, Mario, & FItz.... Show em the money and they get worse.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Oh boy. I can just envision a presser after the season. Chan comes to the podium and says "Good Morning. Buddy & I have had extensive conversations and I've decided it was best for the team that Curtis Modkins be released of his of OC duties" (rather than get my ass kicked to the curb). Chan then introduces Cameron as the OC.

Now... that's just fantasy folks. In reality, if you are Cam Cameron, why the hell would you want to be the Bills OC... especially knowing you have a noodle armed, inaccurate QB, no viable backup QB, and a head Coach that ain't going to allow you to be any more agressive at play calling than he is? Cam would have to be totally stupid or stone ass drunk to accept the Bills OC

Cam got canned because Flacco didn't develop under him. Well, Rivers sure did. Flacco has all the tools.... except, he has the Bledsoe disease... a slow ass brain!!! The word has been out for a couple of years that Flacco does not process information (his reads) and consistently release the ball on time. He needs an extra second or two to process the the read and release. Something no offensive line in the world can accomodate.

But all is not lost. Bills don't get Cameron, but, there is a gigundo rumor eminating from Baltimore today.... Joe Flacco will become a free agent after the season. What are the chances the Ravens will franchise him at a $16M price tag or re-up him for serious starting QB coin? Fitz is bad, I agree, but a young Bledsoe wouldn't be much different... the bottom line would be the same. But then again, Bills-Flacco seems like a typical Bills move... just like Stevie, Merriman, Mario, & FItz.... Show em the money and they get worse.

did they get worse, or did your expectations just shoot up?

merriman was hurt before he got here

mario has played great since the surgery and wasnt particularly bad before even

stevie never had elite skills and and is roughly on pace for another dead on 1000 yard season

fitz was always all over the board

Interesting, he seems pretty well hated in Baltimore for some reason. I don't really get it, I watched most of their games and their offense is as good as it has ever been. Sure they should be running a little more, but with their defense being old and banged up this year the O has carried them. Cameron has been pretty successful as an OC pretty much everywhere he has been. They expect Caldwell to usher in positive changes?!?!

Really risky, puzzling move by a team in pretty good shape going into the playoffs...

for the bills it currently sounds like: im pissed fire them all i dont care who takes over, it couldn't be worse and it needs to happen now because they deserve to be punished.

If i were Nix I would have a meeting something like this Chan, it obvious that you have called the game and worked as a head coach your whole career. If you want to remain my coach you need to find someone to manage the game for you while you are calling the offensive plays. I think you focusing on how to get CJ and your other weapons on offense the ball and taking the pressure off of Fitszpatrick would be best, Do you want to have your Quarterback coach to call offensive plays and you manage the game or do you want your Quarterbacks coach to manage the game and you call the plays?

fitz was always all over the board

I don't want to hijack your thread into another Fitz discussion (but am about to do that anyway).

Your point about expectations going up is indeed correct. Rewind to the time when Trent Edwards was checking down, telegraphing plays and generally being a scared cat. People were ecstatic when he was let go and Fitz was named the starter. Then Fitz started doing better than Trent, fans adjusted and started magnifying his flaws. Fitz was always spotty and streaky - nothing has changed significantly regarding his skills. Only change in the past few games is Gailey taking some of his autonomy away.

Point of the above diatribe is that - if we are to upgrade the QB position, it better be a significant upgrade and not an incremental one. Else we will be sitting here 1-2 years later and saying how the new shiny toy sucks because he doesnt measure up to Luck, RGIII etc.

And listen to Harbaugh's quote:

“"There is a very human side to this," Harbaugh said in a statement issued by the team. “Cam is my friend, he taught me a lot about coaching, and he is an outstanding coach. Personally, this is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do as a coach. Cam has been a significant contributor to all of our successes over the past four, almost five, seasons. Deservedly, he is highly-regarded, and we owe thanks to him for what he did for the Ravens.

“It’s not about fair or unfair, right or wrong. My responsibility is to the whole team and what’s best for them right now. We need a change. Our plan and our goals are to win games, win our division and get to the playoffs."

Interesting, he seems pretty well hated in Baltimore for some reason. I don't really get it, I watched most of their games and their offense is as good as it has ever been. Sure they should be running a little more, but with their defense being old and banged up this year the O has carried them. Cameron has been pretty successful as an OC pretty much everywhere he has been. They expect Caldwell to usher in positive changes?!?!

Really risky, puzzling move by a team in pretty good shape going into the playoffs...

The Ravens I've seen are one with a predictable and uninspired offense manned by a quarterback who has seemingly stopped improving. I bet they didn't like the playcalling but I think Flacco's lack of development is a big deal too.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

If i were Nix I would have a meeting something like this Chan, it obvious that you have called the game and worked as a head coach your whole career. If you want to remain my coach you need to find someone to manage the game for you while you are calling the offensive plays. I think you focusing on how to get CJ and your other weapons on offense the ball and taking the pressure off of Fitszpatrick would be best, Do you want to have your Quarterback coach to call offensive plays and you manage the game or do you want your Quarterbacks coach to manage the game and you call the plays?

I like this fan tastical imagery. Wouldnt that be sweet ? i have thought about some thing like this being something to consider as soon as the season ends.

In regard to Cam. Nope.

In regard to Flacco ? Talk to me....

A couple of points I want to clear up.

This has been brewing for quite a while.

Flacco and Cameron have never gotten along.

The offense has been struggling for a long time.

The Ravens are basicly stuck with Flacco, and they have to try something to get him going. Jim Caldwell, probably isn`t the answer, atleast not with Camerons playbook. But Cam wasn`t getting the job done.

Cam Cameron is not a great coordinator. He had Drew Brees for years. But Brees sucked so badly they had they had to draft Philip Rivers. What does that tell you? He only had 1 season with Rivers before leaving for Miami. So he can hardly claim any credit for either QBs development. His only valid claim to fame is Flacco, who has been average at best.

Yes, even teams who already have "franchise" QBs in place will draft a QB prospect as high as the third or fourth round to groom for the future or in case of injury. I remember a lot of folk here (and elsewhere) mocked the Redskins for taking Cousins in the 4th round, after paying a king's ransom for RG III. No one is laughing now.

Rivers had 1 season with Cam Cameron. Where Rivers basicly played like Alex Smith did last year, but with 2 elite weapons. Drew Brees improved significantly after leaving Camerons offense, despite the Chargers having better weapons then the Saints. Tomlinson, Gates, Neal, great O-line.

Cam Cameron is not good.

Edited by J-E-T-S-L-O-L

I mentioned this in another thread.

Cameron was just another moron NFL coordinator that wasn't smart enough to consistently get his best player the ball.

He talked a lot about limiting touches for Rice to keep him fresh, and he used that as an excuse to throw all the time with Flacco.

But guess who was in the backfield, blocking 275 lb blitzing linebackers while Flacco dropped back? Yep. Ray Rice.

People say this is a passing league now, like it has something to do with quarterbacks being more talented today.

But the reality is, most coaches today don't have the DISCIPLINE or TOUGHNESS required to stick with the running game.

I honestly don't think that was the reason. My take is Cameron has had a falling out with QB Joe Flacco who was never a winner or great college QB. He just was the prototype statue pocket passer. Flacco wanted Jim Zorn his QB coach as his OC instead of Cameron, and ultimately the Ravens fired Zorn last Jan....not sure why exactly

The Ravens have never had a great receiver corps and Cameron wants to run more and the HC / GM wants him to turn Flacco into Tom Brady, and throw more.

I'm a fan of Cameron who has built some terrific running teams. He has had a difficult time with Flacco and his development. Everyone forgets that 2009 Ravens- Patriots playoff game in NE that the Ravens won 33-14 with 234 yards rushing. Joe Flacco was 4-10 for 34 yards no TD's, one INT :w00t: yet Flacco gets credit for that playoff win

Cam got canned because Flacco didn't develop under him. Well, Rivers sure did. Flacco has all the tools.... except, he has the Bledsoe disease... a slow ass brain!!! The word has been out for a couple of years that Flacco does not process information (his reads) and consistently release the ball on time. He needs an extra second or two to process the the read and release. Something no offensive line in the world can accommodate.

In a league that is moving more and more away from pocket passers, and moving more towards RG3, Cam Newton types. I can only wonder about a QB's worth that needs a wall to throw behind.

Anyway, It should be fun to watch Jim Caldwell try and turn Joe Flacco into Peyton Manning :lol: The real rumor is that the Ravens covet Norv Turner and when he is fired as the Chargers HC the Ravens will hire him as their new OC.

Edited by FeartheLosing