Report: Chiefs player commits suicide at Arrowhead after killing girlf

papazoid

Article deleted. What did it say?

Ever wanted a job so bad you could taste it? You know, the dream job that you think about day and night, hoping that it becomes a reality? Chiefs LB

Jovan Belchericon-article-link.gif has been in those shoes, too. The four-year starter at Maine went undrafted in the 2009 rookie class, an obstacle that could have derailed his dream, had it not been for one thing.

“You just have to be hungry,” Belcher said. How hungry? (gratuitous nod towards Turkey day) “It had to be like taking my plate on Thanksgiving. You have to want it more than the next person. You have to just refuse to be denied.”

Belcher’s undeniable path to the NFL includes time at West Babylon High School (NY), where the former linebacker, offensive tackle, nose guard and fullback also wrestled, which he says helps his game. That cornucopia of skills (second gratuitous nod towards Turkey day…Sorry, I couldn’t help it!) has certainly paid off.

“Just being versatile. I think it helped build my whole (just) mental mentality, to never give up and just keep fighting and wrestling was a big part of it and it still is.”

From the football fields and wrestling mats to the practice squad and special teams of the Chiefs, Belcher pursued his dream job like he now does ball carriers on Sundays, with relentless passion. And on May 8, 2009, the Jovan Belcher dream that began in West Babylon, NY became reality.

Four years later, Belcher easily recalls and describes his first NFL play. “Fast. Very fast.” Not too fast for the 25-year old, who has started every game since the 2011 season and this year has recorded 38 tackles, five assists and one pass defensed.

In the holiday spirit, Belcher gave thanks to those who helped make his dream of playing in the NFL come true. “First and foremost, God. Family and friends just keeping me focused, coaches and just everyone.”

Sure to test that hunger and versatility will be the Denver Broncos, who are in town on Sunday for a noon kickoff. However, Belcher may satiate that appetite as he did the last time he faced off against these divisional foes at Arrowhead, totaling a career high 11 tackles, eight of them solo.

Firefox history...

Mel Kiper Jr. @MelKiperESPN

Latest mock draft update is now online! Includes my thoughts on how to fill the latest hole in the Chiefs defense.

I love Twitter. How do these "intellectuals" or "professionals" not think first and then take themselves seriously??!

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firefox history...

I love Twitter. How do these "intellectuals" or "professionals" not think first and then take themselves seriously??!

90% of the time - some social media intern writing the tweet.

That said - Rick Reilly's tweet about chiefs fans needing suicide prevention hot lines a couple weeks ago, or EA giving jovan the trait "trigger happy" in madden may change verbiage out there in sports entertainment for awhile.

Amazingly, Kasadra Perkins, was from here in Austin, originally. From what I gather, they are saying that her cousin is married to Jamal Charles. and it was through them that she met Belcher. She graduated from Anderson High School in 2009...just a kid...really sad.

Edited by Buftex

I have been thinking that same thing all day.

Is there anything resembling a precedent for this in any major (North American or otherwise) pro sport?

I can't think of one off the top of my head.

I'm gonna guess that the at-large damages for the postponement of an NFL game is enormous. Possibly into the hundreds of millions because of the rearrangement of the schedule.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

How does the NFL expect the Chiefs to play Sunday?

PTR

The first few articles I saw this Saturday morning made it sound like the Chiefs were okay with playing. Now I'm seeing qoutes, etc, that make it sound like the NFL pressured them to play.

The first few articles I saw this Saturday morning made it sound like the Chiefs were okay with playing. Now I'm seeing qoutes, etc, that make it sound like the NFL pressured them to play.

The Chiefs released a statement saying they informed the league that they were going to play.

How long before the CTE gangs make a claim for this kid's brain?

The Chiefs released a statement saying they informed the league that they were going to play.

How long before the CTE gangs make a claim for this kid's brain?

Not long. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/morrissey/16746215-452/morrissey-jovan-belcher-tragedy-should-bring-renewed-scrutiny-to-nfl.html

Is it a stretch to simply state that a guy went nuts for whatever reason and killed his family and self?

Is there anything resembling a precedent for this in any major (North American or otherwise) pro sport?

I can't think of one off the top of my head.

I'm gonna guess that the at-large damages for the postponement of an NFL game is enormous. Possibly into the hundreds of millions because of the rearrangement of the schedule.

Closest in recent history is sean taylor being killed but that was a Tuesday I believe (early in the week)

Darryl Kyle of the cardinals(?) baseball team was found dead in his hotel room and they played a couple hours later. Baseballs much easier to reschedule too. Edit: I'm wrong! They cancelled that day.

Neither had the same dynamic of a murder suicide in front of team officials though. Neither was a teammate killing another teammates wife's family member. I imagine its been especially tough in the Charles house.

I'd guess the team will come out fired up and looking to get away from thinking about all this. No reporters, no friends/family asking them about it. No getting trapped in the silence of being alone and getting caught up in their own heads all day. For a lot of these guys, getting absorbed into the game might be the release they will be looking for. It'll be a bit tougher as he was a starter and you'll inevitably have times where you think about him not being there but.... I'm not at all surprised they are playing today.

Edited by NoSaint

This story just breaks my heart on so many levels. Something went horribly wrong, 2 people are dead, coaches and GMs watched a player kill themselves. Teammates wondering what they could have done and a 3 month old girl has no parents.

Just so terrible. :(

Agree 100%.

Closest in recent history is sean taylor being killed but that was a Tuesday I believe (early in the week)

Darryl Kyle of the cardinals(?) baseball team was found dead in his hotel room and they played a couple hours later. Baseballs much easier to reschedule too.

Actually, they didn't play. I remember watching it - I think it was the Saturday game of the week - and Joe Girardi was the Cubs catcher and came out to announce the game was postponed and the fans booed. IIRC, he kept saying that he can't say the reason, but when they get home they'll understand.

Actually, they didn't play. I remember watching it - I think it was the Saturday game of the week - and Joe Girardi was the Cubs catcher and came out to announce the game was postponed and the fans booed. IIRC, he kept saying that he can't say the reason, but when they get home they'll understand.

That's right.... I totally forgot, and someone had incorrectly jogged my memory the other way. How soon after did they play? Had to be pretty soon?

http://m.deadspin.com/5964917/friend-jovan-belcher-was-dazed-suffering-from-short+term-memory-loss-after-last-game-drinking-pain-medication-domestic-tensions-played-role-in-shootings

Interesting insights if true - couple was splitting, she had left with the child. He was apparently drinking a lot, taking prescription drugs and suffering from concussion type issues according to this friend. Sounds extremely volatile if true.

He did it in front of Crennell and Pioli too. I feel bad for everyone involved here. It's a terrible situation all the way around. I don't see how Crennell could even be on the sidelines today. I would be all messed up if I had to witness anything like that.

Ill add - when you read those letters - it's obvious the friend is trying to defend jovan.... But he's also pretty frank in all the problems Jovan had too (alcohol and drug abuse, medical issues). He comes down innappropriately hard on the girlfriend, but it's definitely some insight into this family's last weeks.

Edited by NoSaint

I just remembered that Jim Tyrer did this, too. He had retired by then. But, I was a huge Chiefs fan when I was a kid (you had to have a favorite good team to go along with the Bills) and Tyrer was an all time great - I'm sure he would have made the HOF if he hadn't done this.

I just remembered that Jim Tyrer did this, too. He had retired by then. But, I was a huge Chiefs fan when I was a kid (you had to have a favorite good team to go along with the Bills) and Tyrer was an all time great - I'm sure he would have made the HOF if he hadn't done this.

Those Chiefs teams were stacked with all-time talent.

Not long. http://www.suntimes....iny-to-nfl.html

Is it a stretch to simply state that a guy went nuts for whatever reason and killed his family and self?

Wow--just read that article. Is there a bigger a**whole than the guy who wrote it right now?

How Pioli and Crennel will be able to go on with their lives in football is beyond me, especially if they hold any suspicion Belcher killed himself because of brain trauma caused by repeated hits to the head. Wouldn’t you see yourself as an accessory to a crime, as part of the broader problem of head injuries, even in the most distant way, if you were either man?

This guy must be brain injured. Don't papers have editors anymore?

I got edited by the mods, because I think there's nothing lower than shooting an unarmed woman. -That's fine.

Yes, it's a tragedy for both families, and No, I can't examine this kid's brain, but this type of crime occurs all too often in domestic situations outside of pro sports.

All I want is for dad's out there to teach their sons that women in their lives aren't theirs to abuse, or harm in any way. I get it. Your girlfriend/wife is a total b!tch. If that's your conclusion then leave her to reap the benefits of her personality disorder. That's somebody's daughter/mother/sister and you have no f***ing right to put your hands on her. Be a man, and walk away, or risk being someone else's b!tch in the pokey.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm a little uncomfortable with some the things being done in Belcher's memory. The guy did murder his girlfriend before killing himself. That fact feels like its getting downplayed.

PTR

Of anyone involved, covering or not even involved at all, the Chefs are doing the best job. A moment of silence before the game for victims of domestic violence. No helmet sticker, no acknowledging him, removing articles on the website about him.

The news is making it painful. The family must be going thru hell.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I'm a little uncomfortable with some the things being done in Belcher's memory. The guy did murder his girlfriend before killing himself. That fact feels like its getting downplayed.

PTR

It sounds like the Cheifs themselves are handling things right. I don't really have a problem with them playing the game... I think it just takes time for people who are closer to the situation to get perspective. If the players had voted not to play the game Sunday, that would have been fine too...but they would be playing it tonight instead...who knows what difference that would make? The Perkins family isn't really going to feel any better about the situation...just hard to know what is the rigth thing to do. But I haven't seen the Cheifs doing anything unseemly.

That said, I dabble a little in sports collectibles stuff...the number of autographed Jevon Belcher items on EBAY went from 0 to about 30 on Saturday...and some ass has designed a "Jevon Belcher memorial" hat pin/tie clip that was available on Sunday, using the Chiefs logo..to EBAY's credit, they have removed almost everything that was listed...truly tastless. Human nature is very dark sometimes...

I wonder if that schmuck Costas will go on a rant about the "Rope Nut Culture" next Sunday.

Yes, the world is a much better place when everyone has a gun...

I wonder if that schmuck Costas will go on a rant about the "Rope Nut Culture" next Sunday.

Would he be a schmuck if he agree with your opinion? That's the beautiful thing about America. People can freely express their opinions. The sad part is that people can't discuss different opinions without getting angry or calling names.

PTR

Such as? I honestly haven't seem much positivity for him anywhere. Don't doubt some is our there but haven't seen it.

Would he be a schmuck if he agree with your opinion? That's the beautiful thing about America. People can freely express their opinions. The sad part is that people can't discuss different opinions without getting angry or calling names.

Although I think hes so far off base on the gun control thing, its comical, hes not a schmuck for stating his opinion, no matter how ill-informed, hypocritical and naive it is.

Hes a schmuck because of the time and place he chose to state it.

Edited by RkFast