RIP Ernie Warlick July 21, 1932 - Nov. 24, 2012

Jim Gehman

Dial *84 for Warlick

During the foundation-building days of the American Football League, the eight teams recruited players by scouting games and practices, watching game films or, in the case of tight end Ernie Warlick, over the telephone.

"I received a call from a guy just out of the blue asking me how I was doing and did I ever plan to move to the AFL or NFL, come back to the states? I said, ‘I don’t know, maybe in the future.’ I had no idea who this guy was. But as it turned out, apparently he was somebody that knew [recently-hired Bills head coach Lou] Saban," said the three-time Canadian Football League All-Star.

Buffalo was not the only team in the league that was aware of Warlick. He was also contacted by the Boston Patriots and New York Titans. "Well, the Titans, I went there and I just didn’t like what I saw. Harry Wismer was the owner at the time, and when he found out I was going to talk to another AFL team, he was going to sue," laughed Warlick. "I just didn’t like the whole operation there. I was living in Washington, D.C., at the time, and Saban called me up and came to see me. He wanted to talk to me because he was coming to Buffalo and he’d like for me to come with him. So we went out to dinner and I signed up that night to come to Buffalo."

During the 1962 campaign, Buffalo’s leading quarterback Warren Rabb completed 67 passes. Warlick had 35 catches. The following season, Warlick was still a target with 24 receptions. They, however, came from a new quarterback, but someone he was still familiar with, Jack Kemp.

"Kemp and I were both in the Canadian League. We both went to training camp, I think, in ‘57 or ‘58. He and Tom Flores [who would be with the Bills from 1967 to 1969] were released from up there, and I stayed. That type of offense up there requires a quarterback that could run the ball and neither one of these guys were great runners. So this was my second time running into Kemp. I knew a little bit about how he could throw a ball. I thought that [claiming him off waivers from San Diego] was an excellent move."

He was a regular at training camp. I consider myself privileged to talk fotball with him. A true gentleman with huge hands, he will be missed.

I had nearly forgot this. I was in maybe 4th grade and had my face and hair painted by the cheerleaders. He grabbed my head and rubbed it laughing. His hand could have crushed my head like a tomato to a regular man...and I have always had a big hard head

I remember him from Channel 2 Sports and his Henry's Hamburgers franchise too. He wasn't natural on TV but I heard him speak once in person and he was tremendous. RIP Ernie.

I remember Henry's Hamburgers!! As a young kid my dad took me to HH as a reward for a good report card. My dad, a long time Bills fan, recognized Ernie and introduced me to him. When I explained that I was there because of my report card, that gentle giant of a man reached across the counter and shook my hand. It was like shaking hands with a guy wearing a baseball mitt. I still remember staring at those huge hands, as he shook mine.

That 'event' probably never registered as a anything special to Ernie, but all these years later, it is still a big deal to me. And if I had to say, it's why in those formative years I became a Bills fan.

I saw him play on the Bills AFL Championship teams of the mid-60's. He could block, catch, and run. One of many excellent black football players in the CFL that were given a chance by the creation of the AFL.

Also met him at once Henry's Hamburgers. I was just a kid then but I could sense his friendly and engaging personality.

Four time AFL All Star while playing with the Bills. He and Pete Metzelars are the best TE's ever to play for the Bills.

RIP Ernie.

Edited by Bob in STL

I grew up five houses away from Ernie W and my mom was good friends with his wife, Louise. RIP. Sad news. Incidentally, his son Chris was extremely smart and later became a medical prof at Wash U.

Growing up in Williamsville, I went to HS with his daughter. She was dating a friend of mine and when she mentioned that her younger brother wanted to go fishing, I took them down to the lower Niagara at Devil's Hole.

The kid caught a lunker smallmouth. Must have been a six pounder.

You should have seen the smile on his face.

I never met Ernie but his kids were first class all the way.

• 1 month later...

Just read the article on Ernie and just discovered that he died in NOV.

His name probbly doesnt mean much to you if you are under 50-but he was a larger than life

very nice man who was an active member of the Buffalo community for 50 years.

Anyone remember his hamburger joint on main betw Bennett High and The High School for the deaf??

I lived in that area in the late 70s early 80s--and would go there not only for the burgers--but also for the great big smile

the big man had for every one of his customers.

RIP Ernie

Yeah T.

There was a brief trip down memory lane a few months back.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/152906-rip-ernie-warlick-july-21-1932-nov-24-2012/page__hl__%2Bernie+%2Bwarlick

I went to East with his daughter. Extended condolences via Facebook.

Damn, those football games in the Wojda's backyard were a LONG time ago…

i grew up in south buffalo but certainly knew where ernie's burger place was.. when i played high school football, all games were played at all-high stadium, right near bennett and ernie's place.. i also ran into ernie at a buffalo bison's hockey game at the aud, he was there because he was doing sports for channel 2 at the time, i just , (like the guy in the story) approached him to sign my bison's hockey program, he not only signed but asked me my name, seemed like such a nice guy, not some self-consumed, phony jackass that seems to be prevalent today..

Edited by dwight in philly

Ernie Warlick hosted a Bills show from 1966 - 1967 called Buffalo Bills Preview; great show that still out ranks many local Bills TV today. I guess I am showing my age, but Ernie was awesome, a great member of the Buffalo community. My condolences to his family.

I remember him as a television sports anchor. He had a charismatic smile and a hardy infectious laugh. I remember drinking at Sestak and McGuires in Kensington but didn't get a chance to visit Warlick's. R.I.P. to a good man.