Still have to go Defense heavy in 13' Draft

Bufcomments

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you break down the roster:

DL appears to be set..at least for the starters (whether they're effective, that's a different story..)

LB - we need two new starting LB's..we're not going to get 2 starters from the draft, but we could definitely get 1. This is our most glaring need imo.

DB- as depressing as this is, we still need help at CB; also, george wilson is a very average, to below average, safety...when was the last time we ever saw george wilson make a play?..ANY kind of play? probably like 2-3 years ago..

QB - most of you know i'm a fitz supporter, but we still need to have someone behind him ready to go..at the very least, upgrade the depth at that position.

RB - deepest position.

WR - with Nelson I'd say our WR corps could be above average..without Nelson we're just average. Stevie is solid, but lets face it, we don't havve premier talent at this position. Everyone is either a very late, late draft selection or picked up the scrapheap. We'll see what Graham develops into as the season closes out. The pick could be foolish, but i'm almost itching to Draft a top WR if the situation presents itself..that's of the mentality that the offense is clearly stronger than the defense for the Bills, so keep adding to your strength to make it even better..but again, that would be more of a Raiders type pick at this point..lol.

OL - We're OK, but i'm not sold at the RT position.

We only have so many options via the draft to address these various needs, but to me LB, DB should be addressed EARLY in the draft.

Edited by bobobonators

Personally, I'd like to see in this order:

1) Manti Te'o

2) Arthur Brown Jr-K State

3) Collin "Optimus" Klein

Whats the story with arthur brown jr? Never heard of him so dont know his position or credentials. Fill me in! I love te'o in the first and wouldn't mind getting klein either especially if we could nickname him optimus klein!

Whats the story with arthur brown jr? Never heard of him so dont know his position or credentials. Fill me in! I love te'o in the first and wouldn't mind getting klein either especially if we could nickname him optimus klein!

He Plays LB on KST He is solid player but not a 2nd Round more like late 3rd early 4th

Even tho we need a QB to develop we need D more. Our LB's have to be the worst in the league right now.

So the question is D in the first round again??. Say what you want about Fitz, dude put points on the board. If we can play better Defense we have more chances to score.

I dont think there a QB like Luck in nexts yrs draft. So do we take the best MLB on the board? what yall think?

I agree. If there were a guy like Luck or RGIII I'd be sold on QB. Right now we take the best LB available. His name is Teo.

I was asked this question....if our defense was a lot better giving our offense more opportunity, would Ryan Fitzpatrick's play go a little more unnoticed? Would we as fans be less hard on him? If we had 3 more wins would we still be crying about our QB?

Thats very interesting to me! Winning cures everything!

Well, that would help solve the problem they have when they want to play the 1-6 defense.

I don't know why more teams don't. It gives OC's trouble.

But seriously, you kind of see defensive schemes like that from the Jets. No down lineman and everyone just runs around.

Edited by The Wiz

I'd still like to see them go QB early, and then LB. I'd go with WR in later rounds. I'm surprised no one has mentioned CB. I know it seemed like we had a glut of them at one time, but we definitely need help in the secondary. A replacement for Wilson and another corner would probably be prudent. Williams play this year before his injury was pretty terribad. McKelvin is what he is. Brooks could blossom but I'd still like to see them get another decent CB or two.

QB in Round 1 - there are about 3 right now that project as 1st rounders, but after that I think we need another wide-body Defensive lineman to rotate in, push Dareus and spell Kyle so he is fresh on passing downs. We give up too much against the run up the gut, and since Troup has to date been a bust our D tackle position is a bit light to be effective. Need another impact 2-gap player and that I believe would go a long way towards healing what ails our linebackers who are not hitting their gaps clean.

I also think an upgrade to our linebacking core would not hurt because they often do not hit the right gap anyway, and you can never have enough d-backs.

Based on where this team appears to be headed, I would get behind drafting a guy like Manti Teo in the first round all day. Fitzpatrick isn't the problem. Anyone who knows anything about the NFL knows that if your offense is scoring 31 points that you should win most of those games. Once again, they lost the turnover battle. They were -3 in that department. Notwithstanding everything else, a team that's +3 in turnovers will win the ballgame about 95% of the time based on history. Why is CJ Spiller not getting the ball more? The guy is electric on the field and averaging 7.3 YPC and yet they stubbornly split with Freddy every game. It's manic bad logic from the coaching staff. The linebackers are a huge weakness on this team. They can't cover and can't fill the gaps to stop the run. That's why this offense runs out of gas at the end of games. Stop someone!

The defense has given up 30+ in 5 of 9 games. Its been so bad that I felt that giving up 37 to the Patriots was a 'pretty good' performance. Need an upgrade on the field and in DC role.

Even tho we need a QB to develop we need D more. Our LB's have to be the worst in the league right now.

So the question is D in the first round again??. Say what you want about Fitz, dude put points on the board. If we can play better Defense we have more chances to score.

I dont think there a QB like Luck in nexts yrs draft. So do we take the best MLB on the board? what yall think?

We have gone "defense heavy" three drafts in a row, not to mention signing some big name defensive free agents, and look where it has gotten us. Not only have we used most of our premium picks on defense, the FO neglected to draft a QB prospect when the opportunity was there in round 3 last year, meaning that we are now in a position to have to reach for a QB in round 1 or 2. It's a mess. We can talk all day about what positions the Bills should target this year, but the real problem is the people who are making the selections. Unless that changes, the losing will continue.

Edited by mannc

They've spent a ton of draft choices on D over the last couple years and have had ZERO success. Why keep doing the same thing?

Gilmore looks like he might be decent. Dareus is decent. Byrd has been solid. The rest of the defensive draft picks in the last 3 years are absolutely useless.

I was asked this question....if our defense was a lot better giving our offense more opportunity, would Ryan Fitzpatrick's play go a little more unnoticed? Would we as fans be less hard on him? If we had 3 more wins would we still be crying about our QB?

Thats very interesting to me! Winning cures everything!

the tone of the board would be more friendly, but there were more than a few of us worried even early last year when we were winning.

ive said it 100 times - he is what he is, and im glad hes on our team but the faster we can upgrade, the better.

They've spent a ton of draft choices on D over the last couple years and have had ZERO success. Why keep doing the same thing?

Gilmore looks like he might be decent. Dareus is decent. Byrd has been solid. The rest of the defensive draft picks in the last 3 years are absolutely useless.

so mid-late rounders drafted for a different scheme have been underwhelming?