Russell Wilson will never be elite

ny33

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another "running QB" bites the dust and falls short...

Wow, most tone-deaf comment of the night.

Without him, his team is getting blown the F out and doesn't stand a chance of "falling short." He's a rookie, bound to get better, and he is so much more than a running QB. He is a sharp pocket passer who has great awareness and makes plays with his legs.

ny33 - Okay, I'm assuming you've watched Russell Wilson only in the Playoffs. Assuming you live in WNY, why would you have studied him the whole season.

I live in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver), am an ex-Buffalonian, and a life- long Bills fan. I can assure Russell Wilson IS the real deal. He won the job over two veterans in Preseason and has never looked back. He's super smart, very fast, feels pressure, makes accurate throws, is mentally and physically tough, and hates to lose. Ask opposing players whether his 5'11" stature is a problem? The answer would be, no. (The only problem may be, he's not on 'their' team!)

This kid is bigger than Doug Flutie (remember him?) and has intangibles off the chart. Will be a long time starter for the Seahawks and, am betting, will be a long term Playoff performer.

He still fell short... That is all I am saying... I know he gave his team the chance and without him, the 'Hawks would have been toasted.

He is young... The clock is ticking on his schtick... Hope it works out for him in the future, odds are against him... Just a matter of time before his body wears down... Maybe he has the talent to "stay home" in the pocket and can over come the physical liabilities he has w/out his feet??

Again... Not slamming him... He is special... Again, the odds are against him before he gets ground to a pulp...

He still fell short... That is all I am saying... I know he gave his team the chance and without him, the 'Hawks would have been toasted.

He is young... The clock is ticking on his schtick... Hope it works out for him in the future, odds are against him... Just a matter of time before his body wears down... Maybe he has the talent to "stay home" in the pocket and can over come the physical liabilities he has w/out his feet??

Again... Not slamming him... He is special... Again, the odds are against him before he gets ground to a pulp...

You said it. He's special.

Russell Wilson essentially won the game for his team, and the defense blew it at the end. Also, he really didn't run that much. Aside from one QB keeper on 3rd and 1, they ran no plays designed for him to run. He did not keep the ball on a single read-option play. He scrambled a few times but didn't do anything particularly dangerous like I've seen RG3 do.

He's a fluke. 99 out of 100 5'11" QBs, if not 999 out of 1000 5'11" QBs, would have that height affect their play negatively.

I'm calling BS here. All you are doing is repeating the conventional wisdom. What is your evidence for this statement? Please name some of the "99" short (under 6'0") QBs who were exceptional in college, were given a chance to play in the NFL, and failed due to their lack of height. OK, just name two. And you can leave out Colt McCoy. He's 6'1".

Edited by mannc

If you don't win the SB... EVERYTHING is falling short. The clock is ticking on a such a young and talented (but physically short) QB more so than other QB's.

High risk=High yield or NO yield!

Again... I like the guy like I liked Flutie... He is the best guy to lead the team... I am just skeptical of him being elite AND winning it all!

I see russell's future as a pocket passer. Why bother with all that run nonsense when he can throw all the passes with accuracy? Let ML and the Turbinator run and let Russell pass. It will be better in the long run too.

Might be so. But his height is really going to hurt him if he can' swing or roll out!

Edited by Beerball

In any case, I more than see your point, but aren't scouts and GMs paid to recognize those "no one else like him" guys?

Ohhhhhhh, that's risky.

In theory yes, but how would you like to be the GM who convinces his owner to take a shot on this 5'-11" guy, they use a first round pick and he's a flop. More than likely there are a number of people out there right now picked over prior years.

Russell has looked great, but I'm still not convinced within a couple of years defense figure this whole read option thing and guys like that will look like a 3rd round pick. There's too many of this style QB playing now that teams can't ignore figuring out a better way to stop it. Could be the answer is you take cheap shots at him until he goes down and doesn't get up if they can't come up with a better way to stop them.

Where we picked in the third would have worked just fine.

The same was largely thought of Brees, if I remember correctly.

In any case, I more than see your point, but aren't scouts and GMs paid to recognize those "no one else like him" guys?

Some scouts scout like John Fox coaches....scared.

Don't be afraid to be great.

Hmm. Interesting. It just seems to me that every major sport is riddled with guys who seemingly don't fulfill physical requirements, yet succeed. It makes me wonder how many others are never given the chance.

Heck, look at Welker.

Welker?

For him....the perfect storm. He doesn't do this, like this, most anywhere else.

One thing I've noticed about him is even when everything is stacked against him he still appears calm under fire. That being said Id still take kapernick over him.

Two wonderful QB's that will battle yearly for NFC West supremacy for a very long time.

Gun to my head....I take Wilson. CK is right there, however.

We'll see how Wilson holds up. At 5'11" and 206# it will take a toll taking a pounding from guys 50-100 pounds heavier than him.

Not that it won't happen, but I saw RG3 subject himself to the beatings.

Wilson seems to avoid those hits thus far. Could be luck but I wonder.

Ponder this question if you will: How many QBs in the NFL are poised enough to overcome fourteen and twenty point deficits in ROAD PLAYOFF GAMES on consecutive weeks?

This is a rookie who did this. That is SPECIAL my friends.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If you don't win the SB... EVERYTHING is falling short. The clock is ticking on a such a young and talented (but physically short) QB more so than other QB's.

High risk=High yield or NO yield!

Again... I like the guy like I liked Flutie... He is the best guy to lead the team... I am just skeptical of him being elite AND winning it all!

Might be so. But his height is really going to hurt him if he can' swing or roll out!

I don't get this. How is he high risk? He was picked in the third round, and signed to that level salary, and then led his rookie team to the division title. Amidst the much vaunted Andrew Luck and RGIII, he was the last rookie QB standing and excecuted a 21 point comeback with under 31 seconds left in he game. Did he come up short? Yes. But the rookie QB made every other QB in the AFC East other than Tom Brady like a grade schooler playing a pickup game.

I was critical of the "we should have drafted Wilson" group but I was dead wrong. Of course, we would have probably squandered him last year.

Schtick? What part of his game falls under the category of "schtick"?

Ponder this question if you will: How many QB's in the NFL are poised enough to overcome fourteen and twenty point deficits in ROAD PLAYOFF GAMES on consecutive weeks?

This is a rookie who did this. That is SPECIAL my friends.

Indeed it is. I remember when Roethlisberger was such a story his rookie year, and he was essentially a caretaker whose job was to not mess up. If Seattle's D hadn't folded like a tent at the wrong moment (granted, they were great all year up until this game) he'd be a MUCH more impressive story.

Oh well.

Schtick? What part of his game falls under the category of "schtick"?

Sorry. Everybody is included... Age is all our schtick! :nana:

And Football is a young man's schtick!

I don't get this. How is he high risk? He was picked in the third round, and signed to that level salary, and then led his rookie team to the division title. Amidst the much vaunted Andrew Luck and RGIII, he was the last rookie QB standing and excecuted a 21 point comeback with under 31 seconds left in he game. Did he come up short? Yes. But the rookie QB made every other QB in the AFC East other than Tom Brady like a grade schooler playing a pickup game.

I was critical of the "we should have drafted Wilson" group but I was dead wrong. Of course, we would have probably squandered him last year.

Oops... Sorry. High risk is a running QB.

Chan: "Here little man, scramble around the sidelines with this clipboard.....Fitz is sooooo about to turn the corner.....I can feel it!!!!"

He had an unbelievable year and definitely surpassed my expectations. That said, let's be honest. Seattle put him in a great situation. Great running game and the #4 defense in the NFL. If he was on the Bills, he won't have won many more games than Fitz with our #22 ranked defense (which was historically bad for most of the season). The same idiots that called Spiller a bust after a season would have been calling for Wilson to be benched.

Sorry. Everybody is included... Age is all our schtick! :nana:

And Football is a young man's schtick!

Oops... Sorry. High risk is a running QB.

Which he isn't. He's a QB that can run.

He had an unbelievable year and definitely surpassed my expectations. That said, let's be honest. Seattle put him in a great situation. Great running game and the #4 defense in the NFL. If he was on the Bills, he won't have won many more games than Fitz with our #22 ranked defense (which was historically bad for most of the season). The same idiots that called Spiller a bust after a season would have been calling for Wilson to be benched.

We can't provide the defense part but I think the Bills' line, when healthy, could keep him just as clean, and the running game is just as good if not better here with a healthy Spiller + FJax (which we didn't have if you'll recall Spiller's injury at the top of the season).

Consider how many drives stalled with Fitz missing a wide-open man, and I see a playoff team that could have been here in Buffalo, if we had drafted Wilson and stuck with him.

It's highly unlikely that he would have won the job ahead of Fitz. But, if he lit up the preseason like he did in Seattle, then there would have been a lot of pressure on Gailey to play the kid. We don't really know how this year would have turned out had Bills drafted Wilson in round 3.

But what is certain is that he's better than any QB on the Bills roster now, and he's also better than any QB coming out this year. That is something that the football sages at OBD should have taken into account in April 2012 when they decided that a raw sprinter was absolutely positively the right pick. Luckily one of those guys is out to pasture and the other hopefully soon to follow.

Edited by GG