Russell Wilson will never be elite

ny33

One way of changing the culture of a losing franchise is to hold people accountable for their performances. Brandon made a mistake both substatively and symbolicly when he didn't summarily fire Nix and demonstrate to the fanbase that under his stewardship things are going to be dramatically different.

Based on what happened to the Bills three years ago, I think Brandon was initially scared to fire Buddy and be left with no GM (including Whaley, who does not have any guaranteed path to the GM position and hence could have deferred). He probably was surprised at the number of candidates that wanted to interview for the HC job and that they were able to make a selection rather than be dumped with one. By then it was too late to fire Nix and hire a new GM and hence is left with one with one foot out the door and the head hidden somewhere. The bills have nothing going easy for them

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had a good rookie season. Nobody is "elite" after one year. There is a lot of film on him now. D Coordinators have all off season to figure him out. He's not going to sneak up on anyone next year. Is a sophmore slump coming up? Check back in 2 or 3 years and if he's still doing it, then yeah.

Having the #1 scoring defense (15.3 PPG allowed) certainly helped. So too did having a great rushing game (3rd with Wilson's stats, 9th without) and a great ST's (ranked 3rd by Football Outsiders) game.

The true test will be longevity. And given his size and his penchant for running, it's a valid concern. So as with everything else, time will tell.

I'm pretty sure the original title of this this thread was something like: "Russell Wilson will never be a good QB".

Since that bunker of bulls#!t has been busted, the wording has changed from "good" to "elite".

I'm predicting in five years the title of the thread will be: "Russell Wilson will never win a third NFC championship, or a second super-bowl" :lol:

He's the shortest, and best of the rookies. No doubt in my mind he makes the MVP conversation in the next 2 years.

Based on what happened to the Bills three years ago, I think Brandon was initially scared to fire Buddy and be left with no GM (including Whaley, who does not have any guaranteed path to the GM position and hence could have deferred). He probably was surprised at the number of candidates that wanted to interview for the HC job and that they were able to make a selection rather than be dumped with one. By then it was too late to fire Nix and hire a new GM and hence is left with one with one foot out the door and the head hidden somewhere. The bills have nothing going easy for them

I don't know...

David Caldwell just got hired by the Jags to be their new GM, and he turned down the Jets GM job...He's a big-time up and coming FO personnel guy who worked under Polian and Demitroff...He's a Buffalo native who made it pretty clear through VERY public channels (Don Banks at SI) that he would welcome the opportunity to come to Buffalo as the new GM...I'm 100% certain Brandon knew this...100% certain because Brandon is tapped in...He has serious connections, I'm sure agents among them...Brandon must have known Caldwell would come if he cleared the way...And Brandon passed in order to keep the good ol' scout...

Brandon then went on to praise the good ol' scout saying he was basically the best in the business despite MASSIVE evidence to the contrary...I mean...I'm not saying every GM is going to get every pick right...But if you truly are the best evaluator of talent, there is NO WAY you pick Aaron Williams over Kaepernick, or TJ Graham over Wilson...No way...Buddy is no where near as good as Brandon said he was publicly...No where close...

This is just my opinion...I have no proof obviously...But I think Brandon made a deal with Ralph to keep Buddy around and give him a decent burial...I think it was Ralph's last request so-to-speak...I don't believe for a second that a guy as sharp as Brandon is truly believes all the garbage he spewed about how great Buddy is...I'm sure he respects Buddy...But no one as smart as Brandon is going to be completely fooled by Buddy's less than stellar record, and the fact that he put this team behind literally years by not properly addressing the QB position...

I am VERY concerned about this GM deal...It's not just that Buddy might stay through the Draft and turn it over to Whaley...I'm concerned that we blew a golden opportunity with Caldwell...We'll see how this all plays out...But I don't want Buddy to have anything to do with any Draft selection on this team ever again...And I definitely do not want him making the call on our next QB...I have zero faith in Buddy...Zero, notta, nothing, zilch... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I don't know...

David Caldwell just got hired by the Jags to be their new GM, and he turned down the Jets GM job...He's a big-time up and coming FO personnel guy who worked under Polian and Demitroff...He's a Buffalo native who made it pretty clear through VERY public channels (Don Banks at SI) that he would welcome the opportunity to come to Buffalo as the new GM...I'm 100% certain Brandon knew this...100% certain because Brandon is tapped in...He has serious connections, I'm sure agents among them...Brandon must have known Caldwell would come if he cleared the way...And Brandon passed in order to keep the good ol' scout...

Brandon then went on to praise the good ol' scout saying he was basically the best in the business despite MASSIVE evidence to the contrary...I mean...I'm not saying every GM is going to get every pick right...But if you truly are the best evaluator of talent, there is NO WAY you pick Aaron Williams over Kaepernick, or TJ Graham over Wilson...No way...Buddy is no where near as good as Brandon said he was publicly...No where close...

This is just my opinion...I have no proof obviously...But I think Brandon made a deal with Ralph to keep Buddy around and give him a decent burial...I think it was Ralph's last request so-to-speak...I don't believe for a second that a guy as sharp as Brandon is truly believes all the garbage he spewed about how great Buddy is...I'm sure he respects Buddy...But no one as smart as Brandon is going to be completely fooled by Buddy's less than stellar record, and the fact that he put this team behind literally years by not properly addressing the QB position...

I am VERY concerned about this GM deal...It's not just that Buddy might stay through the Draft and turn it over to Whaley...I'm concerned that we blew a golden opportunity with Caldwell...We'll see how this all plays out...But I don't want Buddy to have anything to do with any Draft selection on this team ever again...And I definitely do not want him making the call on our next QB...I have zero faith in Buddy...Zero, notta, nothing, zilch... B-)

Caldwell wasn't a choice because Whaley has the job. Whaley didn't interview for other GM jobs because he has the Buffalo job, otherwise he would have been in the running for a few of them. It's just a matter of when. It could be shortly after the draft, it could be in the summer. It may not be until next year. But he didn't choose Nix over Caldwell, he chose to keep Whaley instead of going after Caldwell.

Caldwell wasn't a choice because Whaley has the job. Whaley didn't interview for other GM jobs because he has the Buffalo job, otherwise he would have been in the running for a few of them. It's just a matter of when. It could be shortly after the draft, it could be in the summer. It may not be until next year. But he didn't choose Nix over Caldwell, he chose to keep Whaley instead of going after Caldwell.

Agreed...Though I doubt very much, no matter what the Bills say, that Whaley is getting all that much attention elsewhere...And that's just my opinion...Nothing more...It may be unfair, but I think Whaley's got Buddy's stink all over him...I just hope he learned what he needed to...And I hope young Doug proves to be well beyond Buddy, capability-wise, when he steps out of the good ol' scouts shadow... B-)

Agreed...Though I doubt very much, no matter what the Bills say, that Whaley is getting all that much attention elsewhere...And that's just my opinion...Nothing more...It may be unfair, but I think Whaley's got Buddy's stink all over him...I just hope he learned what he needed to...And I hope young Doug proves to be well beyond Buddy, capability-wise, when he steps out of the good ol' scouts shadow... B-)

Whaley is well-respected around the league

I don't know...

The story often repeated by Jerry Sullivan is that Brandon gave Wilson a list of candidates for the GM position a few years ago. According to JS the owner was only familiar with Nix on the list. So he selected the person he knew. Is the story true? I can't say for sure but knowing how the owner has a tendency to revert to people he has been familiar with I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm more than satisfied with the "supposedly" Whaley elevation. The Steelers thought enough of him that when he was being courted by the Bills they offered him a raise to induce him to stay. He felt that it would enhance his resume if he was involved with another organization. I have heard him in a couple of videos and on the radio. He left with me with the impression that he is a very talented person who is open minded to new ideas.

Just as an observation the HC hiring process under Brandon and (Whaley?) was much more professionally done than the Nix seat of the pants hire of Gailey. Hopefully, that is a good sign that the organization is going to be run in a more modern and enlighten fashion.

Edited by JohnC

Whaley is well-respected around the league

That's what the Bills say anyway...Brandon also says Buddy is the best evaluator of talent he knows...So...

Look, I hope Whaley does great...But I'm not going to give the seal of approval to anyone in that Scouting Department after watching Wilson and Kaepernick...They all suck as far as I'm concerned until they prove otherwise...It may just be me...But I'm not falling into the incestuous love-fest going on concerning our Scouting Department...I don't care how Whaley is viewed, or how they say he is viewed...He was there while they Drafted Aaron Williams and TJ Graham while letting Kaepernick, and Wilson, slip through their fingers...Whaley was right there...Not saying it was his decision...But he was there...

I'm not saying I don't like the idea of Whaley, because in a way I do...I'm just saying I don't trust anyone in that Department until they prove they can do it...No more blind faith here any longer...

So...I think they should have brought Caldwell in anyway...I hope Doug proves me very wrong... B-)

That's what the Bills say anyway...Brandon also says Buddy is the best evaluator of talent he knows...So...

I just heard the national reporter Ian Rapoport say it, too, a couple weeks ago. He was on WGR right after the Brandon announcement and he said he just asked several league guys about Whaley and to a man, they had nothing but great things to say about him. Rapoport even said something along the lines of he was surprised that no one had anything bad to say about him.

Paul hamilton, who doesn't like a lot of stuff about the Bills: "Anytime I speak with football administrators around the NFL, they say to a man he’s very well thought of around the league."

Here is what Rapoport said on NFL.com...

The Bills' QB situation is certainly a question mark. The other thing is, I hear nothing but good things around the league when it comes to eventual GM Doug Whaley and CEO Russ Brandon. It's rare you hear such positive reviews about, well, anything, but these two are respected. Brandon for his ability to be an administrator, Whaley for his personnel prowess. People love old Steelers alums, and Whaley would like to build in the model of what we see in Pittsburgh. The phrase I heard most often with regard to Buffalo's situation? "They are in good hands." Something you don't often hear.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000122460/article/andy-reid-gives-kansas-city-chiefs-a-proven-winner

In defense of the OP, I will say that I've noticed him providing good insight and making astute observations on more than one occasion in the past. If he does prove to be wrong about Russell Wilson, big whoop; nobody hits 100%. So maybe some of you perfect prognosticators ought to give it a rest before somebody decides to bring up some of the stuff you've said in the past.

In defense of the OP, I will say that I've noticed him providing good insight and making astute observations on more than one occasion in the past. If he does prove to be wrong about Russell Wilson, big whoop; nobody hits 100%. So maybe some of you perfect prognosticators ought to give it a rest before somebody decides to bring up some of the stuff you've said in the past.

You maight start here....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/145235-rd-3-pick-69-wr-tj-graham-nc-state/

I am very interested to see where both franchises are in 3-5 years from now.

That will say who made the right decision.

Caldwell would have come to Buffalo. Bills choose to stay with Whaley. Time will tell who made the right or better choice.

I like Dave and consider him a friend. I hope both teams excel. Bills win the SB in 2014 Jags in 2015! ha

I am very interested to see where both franchises are in 3-5 years from now.

That will say who made the right decision.

Caldwell would have come to Buffalo. Bills choose to stay with Whaley. Time will tell who made the right or better choice.

I like Dave and consider him a friend. I hope both teams excel. Bills win the SB in 2014 Jags in 2015! ha

I just preferred to go with Caldwell because, for me at least, it would have meant a complete and total new start...I t would have meant Buddy was definitely out...And lastly it would have left no doubt in my mind about Brandon...When Brandon talks about Buddy I second guess the fact that I think he's a real smart, bright guy... B-)

I just preferred to go with Caldwell because, for me at least, it would have meant a complete and total new start...I t would have meant Buddy was definitely out...And lastly it would have left no doubt in my mind about Brandon...When Brandon talks about Buddy I second guess the fact that I think he's a real smart, bright guy... B-)

I think Brandon could have had any one for GM if he wanted to. Whaley himself told at the press conference that NOTHING has been guaranteed to him (as far as GM is concerned) and the only thing he is focused about is his current job.

I think Brandon could have had any one for GM if he wanted to. Whaley himself told at the press conference that NOTHING has been guaranteed to him (as far as GM is concerned) and the only thing he is focused about is his current job.

And he picked Buddy? That's reassuring!!! :doh:

And he picked Buddy? That's reassuring!!! :doh:

Do you think Buddy has the same level of authority as he did before the torch was passed? I am thinking specifically of the Marrone press conference where Buddy was obviously bewildered and couldn't recall who they interviewed, which order they were interviewed, or even what day it was.