Wannstedt Speaks

Rubes

Bills: 5 questions with defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt

An excerpt:

Some players spoke of assignment problems against the Patriots. Is that still a matter of players getting comfortable in the 4-3 scheme, or at this point is it just mental mistakes?

"It's more (about) fits. This game is not that difficult, whether it's a safety or a linebacker or a defensive lineman, there's only three gaps and everybody's got a gap and you've got to fit it up. It wasn't that we didn't fit it up (against New England), a lot of times you've got to fit things up and get off blocks and make plays. We just didn't play with a sense of urgency in the second half that we did in the first half and like we did the week before. Why, I don't know, with everything at stake. We watched the tape and made the corrections, everybody's on the same page and we've got to go out and get it done this week."

I really have no idea what any of that means.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kinda lame. I think he means guys were not in the right gaps, or if they were, they missed tackles.

That can't be it alone-- there were gaping (like 3-person wide) holes that the RB's were running through.

I also wonder if bigger LB's get better "fits" rather than having Jairus Byrd and Bryan Scott do it.

Bills: 5 questions with defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt

An excerpt:

I really have no idea what any of that means.

It means what he said: you have to account for each gap with a player. And we did.

But that player, usually a player too small for the best "fit" got his ass steamrolled by a G. When it wasn't a DB getting his ass handed to him (Bryan Scott) it was our better "fit" LB, Barnett. Other times it was Byrd or Wilson coming up in run support.

Small against big usually loses.

If the D don't fit, your ass will get hit.

GO BILLS!!!

All I want -- seriously -- is for the Bills' defense to show some aggression, fire, and urgency. Who is the leader to step up and hold these players accountable? I don't want a "workmanlike" defense -- I want them to play like their jobs depend upon it.

I interpret that as: "The players made their assignments and were in the proper position, but didnt play hard or mean enough to get off the block and make a play. They just didnt care like they did in the first half and the week before. I dont know why."

It means what he said: you have to account for each gap with a player. And we did.

But that player, usually a player too small for the best "fit" got his ass steamrolled by a G. When it wasn't a DB getting his ass handed to him (Bryan Scott) it was our better "fit" LB, Barnett. Other times it was Byrd or Wilson coming up in run support.

Small against big usually loses.

If the D don't fit, your ass will get hit.

GO BILLS!!!

I was hoping he would talk about our DL trying to occupy multiple blockers - because if they don't, scott and barnett will not get off many blocks because of their size and we will see more of this type of attack. I don't know if the 9ers will try it, but I expect we will be seeing our nickel on the field a lot this year possibly coupled with some hurry up. We're going to have to show that we can defend the run out of the nickel which we haven't done yet this year.

Edit: I also wanted to add that the occupy blockers technique is different than the beat your man technique. Look at it like a 3-4 technique instead of the 4-3 technique. The concern for me is that if you have one guy win the one on one, he better make the tackle and that could be tough if the ball is not near him. Once the rb gets through the line and the lbs are blocked, they're almost guaranteed 10 yards.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

Is he serious, or is this just a smoke screen? To say that the players couldn't do what he expected of them is just silly. If the players can't do what you want, then CHANGE WHAT YOU WANT!

I also want to take this opportunity to repeat what I posted somewhere else: big, tired players will always have the advantage over small, tired players. Nickel and Dime packages in the fourth quarter? That looked like a "prevent" defense. And all a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning.

My interpretation of the link. The entire defensive unit failed in the 2nd half. Can't blame any single person (Mario) the unit as a whole failed.

The thing that got me was the comment about 14 missed tackles when they haven't missed 14 tackles all year. Ouch.

I interpret that as: "The players made their assignments and were in the proper position, but didnt play hard or mean enough to get off the block and make a play. They just didnt care like they did in the first half and the week before. I dont know why."

thats pretty much what i took away too.

the games not rocket science, we were in the right spots, but we didnt want it bad enough in the second half.

Is he serious, or is this just a smoke screen? To say that the players couldn't do what he expected of them is just silly. If the players can't do what you want, then CHANGE WHAT YOU WANT!

I also want to take this opportunity to repeat what I posted somewhere else: big, tired players will always have the advantage over small, tired players. Nickel and Dime packages in the fourth quarter? That looked like a "prevent" defense. And all a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning.

he didnt say they couldnt do it. he said they didnt want it.

two very different things. not sure which is more frustrating.