Wannstedt Speaks

Rubes

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read that as wanny sugar-coating the following: The players did not execute and failed to show up the second half.

I really didn't take anything else out of that.

If that's what he's saying, how in the world could the players not show up at any time in the game against an opponent like New England? Or is it another way of saying they are just way better than us?

If that's what he's saying, how in the world could the players not show up at any time in the game against an opponent like New England? Or is it another way of saying they are just way better than us?

ya, i don't know. maybe he's trying to deflect the blame from himself partially? But I also think there's some truth to that - the defense and the team as a whole is soft so it really isn't that surprising i guess. paper tigers who melt away in the rain. sad.

I've figured it out ..... Wanny isn't watching the same game as we are, he must have some other game tuned in up in the coaches box.

An exerpt from the interview;

Why did things turn so bad in the loss to the Patriots?

"We came out ready to play. We turned them back the first couple times, we came up with some turnovers. I felt as good at halftime in that game as I did in any all year, to be very honest with you as far as what we were doing, what they were doing. We just didn't finish the game. It's disappointing, it's very disappointing for everybody. Prior to last week, we were playing the run as good as I would have hoped we were playing it. In the second half last week, we missed 14 tackles; we hadn't missed 14 all year.

We did NOT turn them back their first couple of drives .... as a matter of fact their first drive went 90 yards for a touchdown :wallbash:

What defense can we play where we have no LB's and still stop the run ....Barnett is slow and small that is a HUGE problem,

Agreed. But....He is the D coordinator. The talent is not there but 'The Buck stops here' in Dave's lap.

Change something during a game. Wanny got outcoached in the Jets game. Could not come up with a stop or an answer for the pathetic Jests offense. Such a sad low point.

Then the second half of the Pats game where he seemed not interested in changing anything. Scares the crap out of me. The blueprint is being written on how to beat the Bills D. Hopefully it doesn't get worse for the D. Is that even possible?? :cry: Oh God, I hope not.

PS - I wonder if Kirk Morrison gets on the field this week. Anyone think it's a decent possiblity? As far as I know he's been a healthy scratch every game this year.

Edited by Cville Bills

What defense can we play where we have no LB's and still stop the run ....Barnett is slow and small that is a HUGE problem,

With a show of hands ....

Who on this board feels the way to stop the Pats* is with "trickery" attempting to neutralize their wide recievers and TE?

OTOH

Who thinks the way to stop the Pats* is to release the hounds and put unrelenting pressure on Bradey?

I'd bet dollars to dougnuts that if Wanny is reading this board he was the only one with his hand up for the first question.

...We did NOT turn them back their first couple of drives .... as a matter of fact their first drive went 90 yards for a touchdown :wallbash:

Yeah, I read that too and thought man, if giving up a 90 yard TD drive on their first drive is turning them back, I sure as hell would HATE to see what giving up a long TD drive looks like.

I think he was misremembering a bit. To our credit, we forced them to punt a couple times and even though two missed FGs helped, we didn't give up points off turnovers on short fields.

But NE did move the ball and ran it well in the first half. It was a harbinger of things to come.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

thats pretty much what i took away too.

the games not rocket science, we were in the right spots, but we didnt want it bad enough in the second half.

he didnt say they couldnt do it. he said they didnt want it.

two very different things. not sure which is more frustrating.

I do not like a coach calling the team out like that in public. If I am the coach and what we're doing is not working, I address it by changing up personnel as well as adjusting the scheme. The nickel wasn't working, the players couldn't execute the calls due to size or whatever. Doesn't matter. The plan is not sound if you can't execute it. Once your roster is set, smart coaches have to adjust.

What strikes me is that just last year they had Chris Kelsay and Spencer Johnson attempting to play in space. Now, they have defensive backs playing linebacker when getting gashed on the ground. Does the pendulum always need to be at an extreme?

PS: And why can't Buddy find a NFL caliber linebacker somewhere?

Kinda lame. I think he means guys were not in the right gaps, or if they were, they missed tackles.

That can't be it alone-- there were gaping (like 3-person wide) holes that the RB's were running through.

I also wonder if bigger LB's get better "fits" rather than having Jairus Byrd and Bryan Scott do it.

I saw lots of guys not getting off their blocks.

anybody see the Rams / Cards game Thurs

for 2 teams that have historically been doormats- their defenses played with an intensity not seen in Buffalo since Bruce left town.

both teams swarmed the backfield and absolutely mauled the QBs

in contrast, the Bills "best DL in the league" looks like they are doing the waltz with the OL and not getting a sniff of the QAB

Wannstadt should be fired - and Chan should be as well for hiring him in the first place

I was watching that game and was thinking the same damn thing! Intensity, Intesity, Intesity! But then I started thinking this.....Williams and Anderson got huge pay checks..why sweat when the money is in the bank?

The one thing pissing me off about the board members is that last year, everyone wanted the Stache. Now everyone wants him fired.

I say give him the year to see how it works out.

What strikes me is that just last year they had Chris Kelsay and Spencer Johnson attempting to play in space. Now, they have defensive backs playing linebacker when getting gashed on the ground. Does the pendulum always need to be at an extreme?

PS: And why can't Buddy find a NFL caliber linebacker somewhere?

Because they keep moving the goal posts on what they are looking for at the position.

If he can't coach the talent we have on this D, he should be fired and, eventually (ie too late to matter) he will be. I can handle Fitz not being good enough but I hate coaches who have no balls to be aggressive with their schemes.

There is a lot less talent on this D than you think.

Edited by vincec