Jaws rates Fitz #30 of 32 Starting NFL QBs

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does Vick rank? he's got one less INT than Fitz and 6 less TD's. he probably has Kolb ahead of Fitz as well.

No ****

Fitz has been bad. I hope he improves. Lots of talent on this team

There's talent for sure at the RB position..and solid O-linemen...but talking about pure talent on the offense? I'm not sure. What did Chandler ever do before he came to the Bills? How much 1st or even 2nd round talent do we have at TE or WR?

Where does Vick rank? he's got one less INT than Fitz and 6 less TD's. he probably has Kolb ahead of Fitz as well.

There's talent for sure at the RB position..and solid O-linemen...but talking about pure talent on the offense? I'm not sure. What did Chandler ever do before he came to the Bills? How much 1st or even 2nd round talent do we have at TE or WR?

Who cares about Vick? This is a Fitz debate and his raw numbers aren't indicative of his performance. Can he throw the entire route tree? Nope, and Gailey doesn't ask him to. Does he turn it over? Yep, to the tune of 7 times in 4 games. Does he hit his receivers in stride? Not frequently enough and he tends to get his guys injured or they absorb big hits.

I have to say Chandler has proven me wrong in certain respects. I considered him a Buddy Nix bluelight special, but he's demonstrated decent hands and made some plays. He'll never run by anyone like a Jimmy Graham, but he's been reliable in the receiving game.

Who cares about Vick? This is a Fitz debate and his raw numbers aren't indicative of his performance. Can he throw the entire route tree? Nope, and Gailey doesn't ask him to. Does he turn it over? Yep, to the tune of 7 times in 4 games. Does he hit his receivers in stride? Not frequently enough and he tends to get his guys injured or they absorb big hits.

I have to say Chandler has proven me wrong in certain respects. I considered him a Buddy Nix bluelight special, but he's demonstrated decent hands and made some plays. He'll never run by anyone like a Jimmy Graham, but he's been reliable in the receiving game.

:mellow: this was a RANKING. it's impossible to have a RANKING without comparing him to OTHER QB'S and looking at RAW NUMBERS.

Edited by bobobonators

But but but he leads the NFL in tds! :death:

Say what you will about Jaws on MNF but as an analyst (especially qbs) he is excellent. He watches and breaks down a ton of film. Not sure if the show is still on but Edge NFL Match up with him and Merril Hodge was a very good show with lots of tape breakdowns.

As for the actual number attached it is meaningless. Where he has him ranked (bottom third) is what is important. Sure he feasted on Chiefs and Browns (without Haden) Defenses but when faced against a real one he struggled. Badly. You can argue a few spots here and there but the point is he is not good enough. To win in or even make the playoffs your qb needs to be at least adequate (read don't screw it up) against good d's.

Say what you will about Jaws on MNF but as an analyst (especially qbs) he is excellent. He watches and breaks down a ton of film. Not sure if the show is still on but Edge NFL Match up with him and Merril Hodge was a very good show with lots of tape breakdowns.

As for the actual number attached it is meaningless. Where he has him ranked (bottom third) is what is important. Sure he feasted on Chiefs and Browns (without Haden) Defenses but when faced against a real one he struggled. Badly. You can argue a few spots here and there but the point is he is not good enough. To win in or even make the playoffs your qb needs to be at least adequate (read don't screw it up) against good d's.

Uhhhh he's has Tannehill ranked as the 2nd best QB in the AFC East. And this is what he says:

"It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall. After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has."

Yet Tannehill is 1-3 as a starter..... Has 2 Tds to his 6 interceptions.... Has a completion 55.4%.... and has a passer rating of 66.4 which puts him as 2nd to last in the NFL.

But yea, he's definietly the 2nd best QB in the AFCE.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Well, we haven't had a shot at a really good one in a while. Don't draft low enough and can't afford to trade up in the draft because the draft is all the Bills have to build the team with. When you are a pretty much a crap franchise in a market FAs don't want to be in ya gotta lose out one season to draft a franchise type QB without giving up tons of draft choices to do so. Bills haven't done that, been just good enough to avoid the best draft choices at the top skill positions. JP was the last time they tried trading up to get "the" guy and they even screwed that up. Boy, what a bunch of losers I tied into. Poor Bills. They'll probably never be any good. But I still follow them. I must be nuts. With the area and franchise's terrible reputation plus the way the NFL works, I have a hard time seeing how these guys could ever be really a top team...

Uhhhh he's has Tannehill ranked as the 2nd best QB in the AFC East. And this is what he says:

"It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall," Jaworski writes. "After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has."

Yet Tannehill is 1-3 as a starter..... Has 2 Tds to his 6 interceptions.... Has a completion 55.4%.... and has a passer rating of 66.4 which puts him as 2nd to last in the NFL.

Who would you put higher?! As Mark Twain said "There are 3 kinds of lies; lies, damn lies, and statitstics. What do your eyeballs tell you? Mine tell me that Fitz is very limited and not improving. I haven't seen much of Tanny but he has received glowing reviews from more than just Jaws. Check out this link if you want stats to backup what Jaws is saying. He had them competitive against the Jets (should have won the game twice but Carpenter missed fgs each time) and Cards with a team that many projected to have the worst record in football this year. Damn you for making me defend a Fins player :censored: , but come on man how much of Tannehill have you seen? And what have you seen from Fitz (besides some stats) that makes you think he's good?

I can't view that complete article. But am curious what kind of objective criteria Jaws uses to rank QBs. Fitz's QBR probably doesnt put him in the bottom 3 QBs. Seems like the ranking is more of a gut feel type exercise?

When you are ranked that low by a quarterback who loves quarterbacks, you should be sh***ing yourself. Fitz has got to know that if he doesn't turn it around, his career as a starter is over.

Has Jaws seen what Sanchez or Romo are doing recently? I generally like Jaws' commentary, but every so often he comes up with something that makes me sit up and go "What the !@#$?"

Jaws ranking aside, Is Ryan Fitzpatrick good enough? My eyes say no after seeing him last year and thus far this year. Far too inconsistent with many shortcomings to boot.

Jaws ranking aside, Is Ryan Fitzpatrick good enough? My eyes say no after seeing him last year and thus far this year. Far too inconsistent with many shortcomings to boot.

If Trent Dilfer was good enough, then so is Fitz.

Well, we haven't had a shot at a really good one in a while. Don't draft low enough and can't afford to trade up in the draft because the draft is all the Bills have to build the team with.

This is definitely the bane of our existence. The bottom never quite falls out or doesn't fall out enough to let us get lucky with one of the players that would help.

Sweet all we need to do now is build an all time great d! I know it wasn't that long ago but it is a completely different era in the NFL. The league is more qb driven than ever before.

:mellow: this was a RANKING. it's impossible to have a RANKING without comparing him to OTHER QB'S and looking at RAW NUMBERS.

Vick is exclusive of the debate relating to the Bills and their on-field performance. Jaws has rated Fitz 30th for his own reasons and RF has nothing to do whatsoever with the Eagles or their QB's play.

Well, we haven't had a shot at a really good one in a while. Don't draft low enough and can't afford to trade up in the draft because the draft is all the Bills have to build the team with. When you are a pretty much a crap franchise in a market FAs don't want to be in ya gotta lose out one season to draft a franchise type QB without giving up tons of draft choices to do so. Bills haven't done that, been just good enough to avoid the best draft choices at the top skill positions. JP was the last time they tried trading up to get "the" guy and they even screwed that up. Boy, what a bunch of losers I tied into. Poor Bills. They'll probably never be any good. But I still follow them. I must be nuts. With the area and franchise's terrible reputation plus the way the NFL works, I have a hard time seeing how these guys could ever be really a top team...

There are 10 QB's starting now drafted in 2011 or 2012. Buffalo didn't have a shot at all of them (Newton, Luck), but did on many others. When you're building a football team the QB you like doesn't just fall into your lap. You may have to go out and get them, which will cost you in a league dictating you have a good one. It seems like the Bills have undervalued the position or are just petrified of taking one for fear they'll fail. So they went with Trent, then Fitz and have predictably not had the production they need. Nothing is guaranteed on draft day, least of all QB's, but that's not a reason to just skip the position.

Pretty meaningless and ridiculous rating. I'm not sold on Fitz, he's probably not a top 10 guy, but he's definitely not a bottom 5 guy either.

I believe that stats only mean so much, but still you can't ignore that he LEADS THE LEAGUE in TD's. Also, guys rated ahead of him like Cassell and Romo have far worse TD/INT ratios.

Personally I'd put him in the 15-20 range.

Raven's had one of the all time great defensive groups in NFL history, so they only needed Dilfer to not screw things up. The Bills certainly do not have that. In that light, Fitz is most definitely NOT good enough.

Sweet all we need to do now is build an all time great d! I know it wasn't that long ago but it is a completely different era in the NFL. The league is more qb driven than ever before.

I disagree. The 49ers are built around defense, throwing mostly short, high percentage passes and running whenever possible. I don't hear anyone calling Alex Smith a great QB, yet the 49ers are a SB favorite...Just saying...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Here's a list of the 2012 Starting QB's:

http://en.wikipedia....ng_quarterbacks

I'd take Fitz over Matt Cassel and that's it. #30 is just about right where he belongs.

So with the way they are playing now, you'd take let's say, Weeden, Tannehill, Bradford, Sanchez, Kolb, Cutler, Palmer, Hasselback/Locker over Fitz? Interesting...

Despite the hype Wilson has played pretty badly so far, and Ponder has been up and down as well... Even Romo has been far worse than Fitz this year...

I know saying Fitz "isn't bad as" other guys isn't much of a compliment. I don't think he is very good...Pretty clear to me though that 30 is not the right ranking for him...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

So with the way they are playing now, you'd take let's say, Weeden, Tannehill, Bradford, Sanchez, Kolb, Cutler, Palmer, Hasselback/Locker over Fitz? Interesting...

Despite the hype Wilson has played pretty badly so far, and Ponder has been up and down as well... Even Romo has been far worse than Fitz this year...

With the young guys, it's about upside and the chance to get better. Fitz is who he is and I see no chance to get significantly better.

I disagree. The 49ers are built around defense, throwing mostly short, high percentage passes and running whenever possible. I don't hear anyone calling Alex Smith a great QB, yet the 49ers are a SB favorite...Just saying...

If/when they win it I'll change my tune. I also said in the post that you quoted that they needed to build an all time d. While the niners isn't all time I think most would agree it is tops or #2 (depending on how you feel about the Texans). The Bills don't have that. For the record I would take Alex Smith over Fitz as well.

I know saying Fitz "isn't bad as" other guys isn't much of a compliment. I don't think he is very good...Pretty clear to me though that 30 is not the right ranking for him...

Ponder has been excellent this year. 68% completion and 0 picks on the year (only qb in NFL with 0 picks). I agree with your last statement but counter with does the number actually matter? He is lower tier regardless of what trivial number ends up on him.

\There's talent for sure at the RB position..and solid O-linemen...but talking about pure talent on the offense? I'm not sure. What did Chandler ever do before he came to the Bills? How much 1st or even 2nd round talent do we have at TE or WR?

LOL...seriously, do you watch the games? Our issue is not the people catching the ball, because they are getting open and its Fitz who either does not see them at all, sees them waaaaaay too late and throws the pass late, completely misses the throw, or throws the ball to the opposing team instead. I dont care how much you hate the receiving core, its not their fault that Fitz has been so bad.

Plus, who the hell cares about Chandler before he got here...he is here now and is proving to be pretty darn good, in fact, he has bailed Fitz out on some of those TD's which were terrible passes and only happened because of Chandler. So his path to here is 1 million % irrelevant to how good of a weapon he is because he is proving on the field that he is a valuable asset to a football team.

WRONG again. There is no argument using numbers that will convince anyone Fitz is a better QB than Vick. I dont like Vick, but there is no doubt he is a more talented QB than Fitz and he has a better track record to prove it. He has been struggling this year, but he has also rallied his team to wins and has proven over his career he can play at a high level and WIN in this league, where as Fitz sucks again, just like every year of his career and LOSES us games rather than wins us games.

Edited by Alphadawg7

"It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall. After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has."

This is because you are one of the foolish ones who look at stat sheets (and only the stats that help your argument as you fail to mention his rushing yards and TD's) rather than watch the games. Tannehill is getting better each week and he is putting his team in position to WIN football games. They beat the Jets, except his kicker blew it, not Tannehill, so they get the L instead of the W for instance. This kid is getting better and with way less talent on that offense while Fitz just is being Fitz and does OK against bad teams and sucks against anyone of relevance.

I would 100% rank Tannehill as the 2nd best QB in the AFCE too...why, because Sanchez blows and so does Fitz who lacks the physical tools be a good QB. I would trade all of our QB's for Tannehill right now as his potential is immense where Fitz has peaked and that peak sucks.

The whole league thinks we are a joke due to Fitz...............This ranking does not surprise me at all

I am not sure why everyone is talking about Romo in this thread..............Romo is light years ahead of Fitz.....spare me the stats from the 4 games played

Romo gets it, Fitz does not have the physical tools needed to thrive in this league Hence the 17-40 record or whatever it is

This is because you are one of the foolish ones who look at stat sheets (and only the stats that help your argument as you fail to mention his rushing yards and TD's) rather than watch the games. Tannehill is getting better each week and he is putting his team in position to WIN football games. They beat the Jets, except his kicker blew it, not Tannehill, so they get the L instead of the W for instance. This kid is getting better and with way less talent on that offense while Fitz just is being Fitz and does OK against bad teams and sucks against anyone of relevance.

I would 100% rank Tannehill as the 2nd best QB in the AFCE too...why, because Sanchez blows and so does Fitz who lacks the physical tools be a good QB. I would trade all of our QB's for Tannehill right now as his potential is immense where Fitz has peaked and that peak sucks.

Agree Tannenhill is improving immensely......433 yards passing last week.....color me impressed.....Fins are gonna smoke these bums 2x

Pretty meaningless and ridiculous rating. I'm not sold on Fitz, he's probably not a top 10 guy, but he's definitely not a bottom 5 guy either.

I believe that stats only mean so much, but still you can't ignore that he LEADS THE LEAGUE in TD's. Also, guys rated ahead of him like Cassell and Romo have far worse TD/INT ratios.

Personally I'd put him in the 15-20 range.

I am so sick of the stat guys BSing their way to defending Fitz. WATCH THE GAMES! His TD's are only what they are because of garbage time TD's and a few exceptional plays on dump off passes by the other weapons on this team. He (as usual) is struggling massively to get the ball down field. His passing game is from about the LOS to about 12 yards out...anything other than that, and its Russian Roulette when he passes.

Second, his INT ratio would be a lot worse if it was not for the fact he has had somany other sure INT's dropped by the DEFENSE. Cue the "every QB has near INT's" BS excuse because that his a bunch of crap because other QB's do not have it happen at the RIDICULOUS frequency Fitz does. Its so bad, Jaws even mentioned it in his explanation of the ranking when he said "he's been victimized by some drops...but some of those have been from defensive backs"

Edited by Alphadawg7

Actually I've watched the games, thanks. Have you?

you mean his massive 6 attempts for 17 yards and a TD, gee didn't realize I should put those out there as well.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Actually I've watched the games, thanks. Have you?

I would bet big money you have seen nothing other than ESPN highlights for the most part of the Dolphins. And yes, one of my closet friends is a Dolphin fan and we watch our games together.