• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted by Mike Florio on September 25, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT

x350-148-e1348593863792.jpg?w=217 AP

Sean Powell eventually won.

Back in May, the undrafted rookie said he wanted to learn as much as he could from veteran punter Brian Moorman. And then take Moorman’s job.

Per multiple reports, the Bills will be releasing Moorman. Tim Graham of the Buffalo News reports that the Bills will be re-signing Powell.

Graham explains that the Bills decided to make the change because Moorman had “shaky games with directional punts.” But Powell, according to Graham, was also weak in that area.

The good news for Moorman is that, as a vested veteran, he’ll be entitled to receive the full amount of his $1.425 million base salary as termination pay. And he’ll also be able to join a new team, get paid, and keep the money from both teams.

Moorman, a Pro Bowler who is perhaps known for getting blown up by Sean Taylor in Hawaii, will likely land elsewhere, eventually. Even if he doesn’t, he’ll still get $83,823.53 per week for the next 14 weeks.

The move could be an unpopular one on the locker room. Veteran tailback Fred Jackson said via Twitter, “WTF??? Released Mooreman??? For What??

Moorman (could have gotten the spelling right, Freddy!) was a great team player for the Bills. But he's getting long in the tooth and Powell could have duplicated what he Brian has done so far this season. And Powell is just a rookie (for reference, Moorman was undrafted in 1999 and finally found a home with the Bills in 2001). Better a little early than a little late.

And yet he was a 2 time st coach of the year. The Bills special teams routinely ranked in the top 5 while he was there - and they were punting/kicking a lot. You both can't seriously be blaming the injury issue on the use of starters on st are you? Poz wasn't hurt on st he was hurt playing d. Team depth is also his fault?! Wow.

I'm with you. It's not as if we had all our starters running out there, so what if we did? April produced. With April, I was never nervous about a return. With DeHaven, I have no idea what's going to happen.

The more I think about, the more I believe that this was a DeHaven decision. Powell was his guy. And apparently Moorman wasn't doing well on the directional punts that he presumably ordered, so out with Moorman and in with Powell.

I hope for all our sakes that this works out.

Brian will be missed, he was a great punter for the Bills for many crappy seasons.

Just want to say thanks for all the good years you gave us Bills fans Brian !!! It's kind of a sad day ...

I'll never forget his touchdown toss to the TE running off the field , great stuff !!!

Actually I believe it was to Ryan Denney

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

Bills are releasing veteran stalwart P Brian Moorman. Surprise move. Have a feeling he might not be a free agent all that long.

Wow. Yeah, he hasn't had a great start to the season, but this is still very surprising.

Good. Maybe NE or NY Jets will pick him up and learn all our Secrets...

How many games did that win us? 1 maybe two games won by our special teams in his tenure?

Can you honestly tell me that John Wendling, Digorgio, Jenkins, could ever line up and play defense? or offense for that matter. Whenever we had a starter go down, we had to IR him because our backups were pure special teamers. I blame that on Bobby April being the assnt head coach and having too much a say on personal.

Wendling still plays in the nfl on defense for the Lions. DiGorgio was a fan favorite and some liked him better at mlb than poz before papa giorgio got hurt, not sure who jenkins is that your referencing but yes I did/do think they could/can/do play d or o. Don't forget about Jim Leonhard either. Anyway how much winning was done during his tenure here? your blamin that on the st coach now?

If I have your argument correct it was Bobby April's fault that players always got hurt (continued after he left), depth was poor (nm Marv's/Brandon's gm tenure), and didn't win any games (don't need an aside for this ridiculous statement).

I'm with you. It's not as if we had all our starters running out there, so what if we did? April produced. With April, I was never nervous about a return. With DeHaven, I have no idea what's going to happen.

This sums it up perfectly Captain.. unless you feel differently and somehow more confident with DeHaven calling the shots?

Wonder if DeHaven told Powell to go practice his directional kicking some more, since that was something he needed to do better - by some accounts. Maybe he's been coached at a clinic and Bruce got the word that he's ready.

Not very plausible, but hey - it's the IntarWebs.

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora

Bills are releasing veteran stalwart P Brian Moorman. Surprise move. Have a feeling he might not be a free agent all that long.

I wasn't surprised....last year and into this year his leg has become tired. He had a long career and he has hot the wall.....best of luck to him he was great in his prime!!!

Wow. Yeah, he hasn't had a great start to the season, but this is still very surprising.