So how many games before TJ overtakes Thiggie as backup QB?

How is any player NOT ready??? That equals bad coaching IMHO!

He has been in town 2 weeks! What a lame complaint.

There is plenty to complain about, but not getting a new backup QB up to speed in the week and a half before the start of the season is just a ridiculous complaint.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I wonder if our playbook is more complex than average. I suspect it is. Perhaps too complicated? VY had trouble with it as well.

Regardless of the capability and clarity of the coaches, some players just learn faster than others. Maybe TJack is a slow learner.

It's so complicated only Jets DB's have it figured out. Don't drink the cool-aid. It's georgia tech's NFL version. The scrub receivers cannot even get a timing route down.(This is year 3 BTW) There is nothing complicated about Gaileys pop warner offense.

As for T Jack, he's just another scrub with maybe more upside than Thigpen. Nothing to see with T.Jack although he could be starting by week 9.

It's so complicated only Jets DB's have it figured out. Don't drink the cool-aid. It's georgia tech's NFL version. The scrub receivers cannot even get a timing route down.(This is year 3 BTW) There is nothing complicated about Gaileys pop warner offense.

As for T Jack, he's just another scrub with maybe more upside than Thigpen. Nothing to see with T.Jack although he could be starting by week 9.

How one argues we don't have the talent to execute it, and that it's too simple at the same time is.... interesting

How one argues we don't have the talent to execute it, and that it's too simple at the same time is.... interesting

You always seem very intelligent and a more middle of the road guy. But Cromartie basically came out and said that Rex and the Jets coaches put them in position to make plays. That through film study and GOOD coaching they knew how to play the Bills receivers.

Now i am not suggesting that the offense is basic. But it does seem to rely heavily on short passes and ones that tend to favor from the hashes on out. This is kind of interesting because Fitz SUPPOSEDLY lacks great arm strength/mechanics.

Maybe T Jackson will get a shot. If there are a few more games from Fitz like the last, then at the bye maybe a switch is made.

Jackson is very mobile and has a stronger arm then Fitz, right?

He has been in town 2 weeks! What a lame complaint.

There is plenty to complain about, but not getting a new backup QB up to speed in the week and a half before the start of the season is just a ridiculous complaint.

I thought it said TJ Graham! Sorry! I agree about jackson! Sorry again!

Well, I'll put it this way. Our receivers outside #13 and TE's are all extremely expendable IMO. Also, I guess for now the rook gets a pass.

We don't have the talent to run any offense with the current receiver group. Easley and all PS receiver players are included. It just seems Gailey is the only one (coaching the game) that hasn't realized he neither has the guns nor the gameplans, and that defenses are just smoking us. This goes back at least 8 games last season but probably began in Cinci.

What is so complicated? Other than switching players around the field and run short timing pattern routes? The spread has become laughable. I'm talking passing O only here.

Edited by Best Player Available

You always seem very intelligent and a more middle of the road guy. But Cromartie basically came out and said that Rex and the Jets coaches put them in position to make plays. That through film study and GOOD coaching they knew how to play the Bills receivers.

Now i am not suggesting that the offense is basic. But it does seem to rely heavily on short passes and ones that tend to favor from the hashes on out. This is kind of interesting because Fitz SUPPOSEDLY lacks great arm strength/mechanics.

Maybe T Jackson will get a shot. If there are a few more games from Fitz like the last, then at the bye maybe a switch is made.

Jackson is very mobile and has a stronger arm then Fitz, right?

I was getting at the idea that after three years our wrs are unable to handle the offense but that the coach was getting called out on an over simplified offense in the same post. Hard to knock both sides on that.

The short outside the hashes stuff - I agree with big time. We've all seen it. I can't count how many times I've said we stretch the field horizontally instead of vertically. I don't think a new qb solves that unless it's a GREAT qb. Last year was similar- we didn't have the speed at wr, or the blockers to go deep, in addition to the qb possibly. Until we upgrade the talent level more - it's going to be a struggle no matter where we go. That's why I was never sold on the 12 win talk. Possible? Sure. It appears to me that even with another middle of the pack qb, we are still a few pieces away from what many hoped for. A better qb, and a top end wr would go a long way to making this offense go, and our defense look better too. Could only fill so many holes at once this year, but going the right way. Hate that we keep just missing the qbs in the draft.

I wonder if our playbook is more complex than average. I suspect it is. Perhaps too complicated? VY had trouble with it as well.

Regardless of the capability and clarity of the coaches, some players just learn faster than others. Maybe TJack is a slow learner.

What constitutes complex?

Is it the sheer number of pages?

Is it the amount of lines and other characters per page?

The number of plays perhaps?

I submit that for a CB it requires a third grade reading level.

For a QB, a 12th grade reading level.

For anyone else, somewhere in between.

Actually, for some players it requires no reading level at all. You can be unable to read and attain Pro Bowl status in the league.

Witness Dexter Manley and James Brooks.

Complicated? Not by any stretch.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Well, I'll put it this way. Our receivers outside #13 and TE's are all extremely expendable IMO. Also, I guess for now the rook gets a pass.

We don't have the talent to run any offense with the current receiver group. Easley and all PS receiver players are included. It just seems Gailey is the only one (coaching the game) that hasn't realized he neither has the guns nor the gameplans, and that defenses are just smoking us. This goes back at least 8 games last season but probably began in Cinci.

What is so complicated? Other than switching players around the field and run short timing pattern routes? The spread has become laughable. I'm talking passing O only here.

I agree generally, but it's hard to kill him for scheme if we don't have the talent for any scheme right now.

He put together one that gets a so-so qb to put up career numbers, has an explosive rushing game and that was without a good line, qb or wrs last year. High yards per carry, low sacks, high completion percentage... Hopefully we get aggressive with going after offensive talent like we did D this year.. I'm not saying last year was successful but I am saying it's a tough spot on O right now. We can compete, but it'll be up and down. Without the talent to dictate you have to take some risks. Risks tie to luck, luck ties to streaky play - gets back to what we see from fitz.

I haven't looked at what wrs are available next year. I am hoping there's a good market and we can go qb in the draft. That'll put us in a really good spot.

Edited by NoSaint

I agree generally, but it's hard to kill him for scheme if we don't have the talent for any scheme right now.

He put together one that gets a so-so qb to put up career numbers, has an explosive rushing game and that was without a good line, qb or wrs last year. High yards per carry, low sacks, high completion percentage... Hopefully we get aggressive with going after offensive talent like we did D this year.. I'm not saying last year was successful but I am saying it's a tough spot on O right now. We can compete, but it'll be up and down. Without the talent to dictate you have to take some risks. Risks tie to luck, luck ties to streaky play - gets back to what we see from fitz.

I haven't looked at what wrs are available next year. I am hoping there's a good market and we can go qb in the draft. That'll put us in a really good spot.

This is all crap IMO about the Wrs and the talent on offense. Surround Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, cam etc etc etc with this team and Donald jones is a freakin pro bowler. CJ and Freddy Stevie and Jones can all get it done. Chan and fitz can pack their bags now. So many excuses Crap is crap

Not only does TJ have to learn it, he has to know it to the point of quick recall, a much more rigorous standard than just being able to remember what the play's are. That is he needs to recall and quickly act on 1 2 3 reads in sequence. Not just learning the playbook, but knowing it line by line, player by player. A LOT to absorb. I don't think Fitz would get pulled until game 10 or 12 if the season is a total bust. Just sayin....

This is all crap IMO about the Wrs and the talent on offense. Surround Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, cam etc etc etc with this team and Donald jones is a freakin pro bowler. CJ and Freddy Stevie and Jones can all get it done. Chan and fitz can pack their bags now. So many excuses Crap is crap

I very explicitly said short of an elite qb - that qb could buy time, throw in tighter windows, make fewer mistakes. For a middle of the pack (I've always put fitz in the 16-24 ranking quadrant). Jackson doesn't fix that. He might help but not drastically. You plug a Matt Ryan, schaub, type of qb in here and we'd still be inconsistent and need more talent at wr and possibly the line (I think we might be there on the line, with some good luck).

Without more raw talent in the passing game we will struggle running any scheme.

Not only does TJ have to learn it, he has to know it to the point of quick recall, a much more rigorous standard than just being able to remember what the play's are. That is he needs to recall and quickly act on 1 2 3 reads in sequence. Not just learning the playbook, but knowing it line by line, player by player. A LOT to absorb. I don't think Fitz would get pulled until game 10 or 12 if the season is a total bust. Just sayin....

why would Jackson be held to a higher standard than Fitz

the play may call for a progression of reads

but Fitz is making a pre-snap determination and locking onto his receiver (generally Stevie)

Jackson could run this offense the same way Fitz is this weekend- except he could scramble and make plays off broken plays

not to mention, Jackson might even throw it down the middle more than 10 yards

I very explicitly said short of an elite qb - that qb could buy time, throw in tighter windows, make fewer mistakes. For a middle of the pack (I've always put fitz in the 16-24 ranking quadrant). Jackson doesn't fix that. He might help but not drastically. You plug a Matt Ryan, schaub, type of qb in here and we'd still be inconsistent and need more talent at wr and possibly the line (I think we might be there on the line, with some good luck).

Without more raw talent in the passing game we will struggle running any scheme.

This post is like a molten stream of gold slowly making it's way down the gently sloping curves of that chick in Goldfinger at the hotel.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the opposite. I think our playbook is less complex than many winning teams - the Giants, the Pats, etc.

VY had so much trouble with the Titans playbook he got benched by the coach and so much trouble with the Iggles playbook he stunk up the place in relief and got cut.

I don't think his ability/inability to grasp the playbook can be seen in any way as an indictment of our playbook's complexity

A month is considered a very short time for any QB to master any offensive system. Keep in mind it isn't just learning the plays, it's learning how they apply in relation to what the opposing D shows, what the protections should be, where each WR is going to go and so forth. Then he has to be able to read and react instantaneously, really master it to the point where it's automatic.

This is getting a little twisted....I said how long til TJ replaces THIGPEN as the BACKUP QB.......

Its gonna take a string of extremely poor play for Fitz to get benched which I hope does not happen.....BUT....I dont know if anybody noticed Fitz hung in there on some throws and took some pretty nasty hits......and I am not going to use the "I" word.....but I dont want to see Thigpen at any point during this season........

Fair enough although the Matt Ryan/fitz switch would be interesting to see the actual results.......we will me never know but I think it would yield very positive results.

Fair enough although the Matt Ryan/fitz switch would be interesting to see the actual results.......we will me never know but I think it would yield very positive results.

He had white, Gonzales, turner at rb and a host of wrs that were atleast as good as our and the consistent argument was that they MUST add more wr talent - hence the huge trade for Julio. I think he'd be slightly better than fitz but short of having the big 3-4 qbs, we'd likely have the same conversations about needing to upgrade our wrs and qb. If we won more games with the good but not great qb, it would be only minimal over the long term.

Obviously opinion and not fact, and I would prefer any upgrade even if small- just trying to point out that it's unlikely a FA qb or guy like Tjack "fixes" the passing game.

Edited by NoSaint