A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no partIcular order.....

Bill from NYC

I disagree. The replay to me showed he had possession for a couple steps and got stripped. And it needs to be seen as clearly wrong in the replay to overturn. It absolutely was not in this case. However the replay that the Jets challenged on the spot that, to me anyway, clearly showed the spot was wrong was upheld as well. And by the way, the replay officials are not replacements.

Look again ball couldnt have been stripped because it was always moving, never had it.

Idk replay officials were regs. But do they make the final call? Head official sure spends a lot of time looking at the reviews too. I'd be surprised if final decision went to the booth.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe when Brooks and Mcgee are both 100%..McKelvin will be released.... Fitz had an awful game, maybe when Travaris gets involved we will see a Fitz benching, but benching him to put in Thigpen who has never had a good game might not be the best idea

I believe Fitz wasn't pulled because they were afraid to put Thigpen in. If they would not put him in today, Fitz will have to be unable to play to get them to put him in. I'm guessing he is gone as soon as TJ is ready.

Good post Bill. I agree on some of your points, not all.

1) BEAUTIFUL run by CJ before the half.... -- CJ was the best player on the field.

2) Did anyone see McKelvin take a knee with 20 or so seconds remaining inthe first half on a kickoff?... -- He is not a football player.

3) I think that I like Cordy Glenn, costly penaly or not... -- to early to say but he shows potential.

4) For the record, Lee Smith is better than most of you think... --- Nobody fears our recievers or any aspect of our passing game.

5) Absolutely horrible picks thrown by Fitz... --- Fitz is showing he is a backup in this league. His arm is not good enough. .

6) Go ahead.....tell me about the wonderful stats that Spiller had today. I'm not impressed... -- Best player on the field today, and that includes both teams. Ask Rex Ryan what he thinks.

7) Gailey needs to step up and take charge of this football team. He should have taken Fitz out immediately ... --- and play Thigpen? Really? We do not have an NFL QB in our roster Bill. Lets talk to Buddy nix about that.

And Wanny was, not decisive enough today... --- Wany did nothing but play the same defense all day. No blitz, no preassure, nothing.

8) ... -- Usually a Grateful Dean Lyriuc is inserted here.

9) This game, in some way, endeared me to Kelsay... Kelsy was there today, where was Super Mario?

10) OK, here is the REAL deal wrt McKelvin... I would cut him.

11) Btw, Gilmore sucked today... --- No he did not. He is a rookie CB and this was his first game. Please.

12) We are in this together.. --- true

Does anyone else feel like wannstadt killed us today. Sanchez lives by the short pass, yet we sat in soft zone with free safety 20 yards off the ball. Why bother. I never saw much in the way of stunts or blitz pacakage at all. It really felt like it was a straight vanilla package on defense today....and as the game got away from us, he had zero solutions. He needs to step up and quick. Maybe start with finding a way to get pressure up the middle.

Does anyone else feel like wannstadt killed us today. Sanchez lives by the short pass, yet we sat in soft zone with free safety 20 yards off the ball. Why bother. I never saw much in the way of stunts or blitz pacakage at all. It really felt like it was a straight vanilla package on defense today....and as the game got away from us, he had zero solutions. He needs to step up and quick. Maybe start with finding a way to get pressure up the middle.

I am most disappointed in Stache. His troops were not ready to play.

no adjustments, no blitzes, no nothing.

My thought, we've started off the last few seasons strong and faded hard, maybe we play this crapper to start and get better as the season moves ahead. Better be that way because the schedule gets tougher before it gets easy (on paper).

Huh? He single handedly brought us back into this blow out. Spiller is no where near the problem. Fitz killed us just like he killed our season last year. Spiller has kept us in games last year and this week while Fitz was busy giving them away. Get over it already, he was the 9th pick in the draft...so what. He is proving to be worthy of that pick but you cant get over he was picked 9th when you wanted someone else. Stop hating him, he is the real deal and the future and the ONLY dynamic player on this offense

We can agree to disagee. Or, you can cite the football games Spiller has won us. Either way, is this all that you have to say? What did you think of our corners? Or the coaching? I'm with you 100% that Fitz sucked, and he was SO bad that he should have been pulled.

How can you not be impressed with the Spiller slowed down and let the blocks developed, then burst past Jet defenders as if they were in quicksand? Only a last second, desperation dving shoestring tackle by Revis prevented a third 50+ yard run.

I put that fumble on Fitz...he had a wide open Spiller and instead of putting the ball in front of him do he could run under it, he put it high and behind him so he had to spin around and reach up to catch it.

Spiller is going to be the starter even if Jackson comes back at 100%... he is a threat to take it the distance every time he touches it...

That fumble didn't give anything away. The game was lost well before the fumble.

Totally disagree. That was a 30 yard completion. We were at midfield with 90 seconds left in the half. WE could have gotten points on that drive and switched the momentum by getting the ball to start the second half. That play was the last straw

How can you not be impressed with the Spiller slowed down and let the blocks developed, then burst past Jet defenders as if they were in quicksand? Only a last second, desperation dving shoestring tackle by Revis prevented a third 50+ yard run.

I put that fumble on Fitz...he had a wide open Spiller and instead of putting the ball in front of him do he could run under it, he put it high and behind him so he had to spin around and reach up to catch it.

Spiller is going to be the starter even if Jackson comes back at 100%... he is a threat to take it the distance every time he touches it...

bull ****, Fitz sucked today but thats on Spiller, hes had trouble securing catches in the past. Thats nothing new for him

Totally disagree. That was a 30 yard completion. We were at midfield with 90 seconds left in the half. WE could have gotten points on that drive and switched the momentum by getting the ball to start the second half. That play was the last straw

bull ****, Fitz sucked today but thats on Spiller, hes had trouble securing catches in the past. Thats nothing new for him

I am still not sure 100% he caught that. If he had that kind of hand work running out of bounds on a TD it would be over turned.

And you'll get too many people saying Spiller made up for it with stats. It is one play that can make a difference. Spiller is a good back and I am glad we have him but he still have some growing up to do just like Fred did.

I am still not sure 100% he caught that. If he had that kind of hand work running out of bounds on a TD it would be over turned.

And you'll get too many people saying Spiller made up for it with stats. It is one play that can make a difference. Spiller is a good back and I am glad we have him but he still have some growing up to do just like Fred did.

I dont think he caught it either, but to blame that on Fitz is rediculous. Hit him in the hands, he had time to turn after catching it and take a step, NFL players make that catch

Sorry, your irrational hatred of Spiller invalidates and discredits what was an otherwise good post. The kid was the single player on the entire Bills team that brought any game today. As for the fumble, first off, it's still debatable whether he even secured the ball. And if he did, that was simply a good play by the defender. It wasn't careless at all. He was trying to secure the ball, and it got tomahawked out. That's just a great play by the defender.

1) BEAUTIFUL run by CJ before the half. This time, he hit the hole fast and his speed did prevail. Fine thanks. Btw, great blocks on that play by both Levitre and Glenn.

2) Did anyone see McKelvin take a knee with 20 or so seconds remaining inthe first half on a kickoff? This while down by 20 points. More to come on this.

3) I think that I like Cordy Glenn, costly penaly or not.

4) For the record, Lee Smith is better than most of you think. We all know that Stevie Johnson can play, and so can Chandler. And props to, and high hopes for Donald Jones.

5) Absolutely horrible picks thrown by Fitz. The first one could have been a crucial completion if he put air under it. And by and large, he had enough time today. I would have pulled him to be honest. More to come.

6) Go ahead.....tell me about the wonderful stats that Spiller had today. I'm not impressed. His fumble before the half cost us an opportunity to get back into the football game. And this is nothing new. Many of us cling to stats in order to justify whatever or whoever we chose to validate, be it management, coaches, players, or dumb draft selections. I personally do not. I want us to make the f-*^$%g playoffs.

7) Gailey needs to step up and take charge of this football team. He should have taken Fitz out immediately after the pick at the start of the second half. He should have benched McKelvin who gave up pass after pass. He gave up both HUGE first downs and touchdowns. Justin Rogers could not have played any worse. I have backed Gailey as an offensive mind from day one. But I am going to start looking closer at him as a game manager, and a leader of this football team. And Wanny was, not decisive enough today. How could he have not pulled McKelvin? Seriously.

8) Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you'[ve got nothing new to say.

If you please, don't back up the track, this train's got to come today.

I spent a little time on the mountain; spent a little time on the hill.

I heard some say, "better run away."

Others say, "better stand still."

9) This game, in some way, endeared me to Kelsay. How sick is that? He gave it all he had, and as a fan I appreciate this.

10) OK, here is the REAL deal wrt McKelvin. I would call him mentally challenged, but this would be an insult to the mentally challenged. If I could, I would put him on the trading block right this very second. If I couldn't grab a 7th rounder, I would cut his stupid, nonchalant, inept ass as we speak. Bills management needs to set an example that horrible effort and play will NOT be acceptd. He needs to get the !@#$ off of our football team.

11) Btw, Gilmore sucked today. This is not good news. Hopefully, Gilmore will not be a repeat of resources wasted at db. But let's watch and see, OK? It WAS only game 1 of his career. And btw, A. Williams looked like a stumblebum. This reflects upon Nix.

12) We are in this together. People, don't quit.

13) Thanks Diana :thumbsup:

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always look forward to reading your thoughts about the game, and today was no exception. Thanks for putting in the effort to write this. Below are a few thoughts of my own:

• Today's game reinforced my opinion that the Bills need a quarterback. The silver lining in that cloud is that if they continue to play as they did against the Jets, they'll have the chance to draft someone like Barkley.
  • Other than the fumble, Spiller had a very good game today. I've heard it said that fumbling can be corrected by coaching. Let's hope that's true.
  • I agree with you about Kelsay. Any time a player gives it everything he has, I have to give him respect.
  • Whatever the Bills' other problems might be, at least the offensive line looks solid.
  • Speaking of which, I'm happy with the Glenn pick. Of the OTs chosen early in the 2012 draft, Glenn did the most reps. Which is impressive, considering he also has the longest arms out of that group! :)
  • If you put a quarterback like Barkley behind the Bills' offensive line, give him an explosive RB like Spiller, a healthy Stevie Johnson, a reliable TE like Chandler, and a deep threat like Graham, I think you'd have a good, solid offense. The Bills aren't as far away as they looked--at least not on offense.
  • The defense played completely differently than I'd expected. Was it a fluke--or a harbinger of things to come?

Really look foward to your post Bill! I don't usually post in response but today I gotta vent.

You're wrong about spiller. The dude came to play today. As for the fumble, IT WASN'T ONE!! He clearly did not have possession of the ball. If you dvr'ed the game, take a good look at the play.

And in spiller or fred jackson's defense, how can either win you a game when we have a pass happy hc that doesn't realize he needs to base his offense on the run and not the pass.

Fitz is what he is. The best career back up in the league. To much responsibility has been placed on fitz. Chan needs to just let him manage the game and base the offense on the run.

Imho, look for gilmore to get burnt some more. He was a mid second round pick at best and I will not change my stance on that. I know he's a rookie but I just feel we should have taken Kirpatrick. All I know is he played on the best D in the country last year. And I dnt follow college ball like I do the Nfl, but evry week I heard about claborne and kirpatrick. I didn't hear bout gilmore till the combine.

Just an awful display today. Hopefully we can bounce back next week.

Oh....and mckelvin needs to be cut. We can make as many excuses as we want for him but he's a bust!!

Edited by qdawg in philly

We can agree to disagee. Or, you can cite the football games Spiller has won us. Either way, is this all that you have to say? What did you think of our corners? Or the coaching? I'm with you 100% that Fitz sucked, and he was SO bad that he should have been pulled.

Bill,

Fitz was simply awful in this game. You may be enamored with his intagibles but they can't overcome his limitations as a passer. That will never change. Your suggestion of taking him out of the game has one major flaw: the backups are even worse.

Your fixation on Spiller as a major cause for the failure of this team has reached a level of obsession. Name a player on offense who is more of playmaker than C.J.? Which Bills' player on offense made more impactful plays in this game? You need to focus more of your attention on the areas where this team is actually limited, especially on offense. Our receiving corps is below average and our qb is mediocre. In a qb driven league that is troubling.

After Buffalo's torrid start after the first half of the season last year defenses adjusted to Chan''s quick and short passing game. The defenses are now pressing the receivers and Fitz's weakness as a passer combined with the limitiations of his receivers has shackled our offense. Until Fitz and our receivers demonstrate that they can adjust to the tightening pass defesnses our offense will continue to struggle.

There are many reasons why we lost today, as you enumerated, but it was obvious that the team that had the better qb was the superior team on the field.

In a cap system league all teams have liabilities. That is the nature of the system. Even upper tier teams such as the Giants and Pats have problem areas on their starting roster. What is very difficult to overcome is being deficent at the qb position. I'm not suggesting that Fitz is a bad qb but I am stating that he is not the type of player who will elevate a team beyond its limitations.

I am most disappointed in Stache. His troops were not ready to play.

no adjustments, no blitzes, no nothing.

This is true. I never bought the goofy argument many put forth here last year that Wanny had absolutely nothing to do with the poor D coaching last year--like he was full of great ideas, but George Edwards kept him bound and gagged.

Maybe there's a reason Stache ended up (like Chan) in Buffalo....

Edited by Mr. WEO