A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no partIcular order.....

Bill from NYC

I enjoy reading your thoughts on the game each week, Bill. However, like many others, I disagree with you on Spiller. That kid is a game changer if given enough opportunities. Looks like he'll get them for the time being.

I agree with you on all other points... Obviously, Fitz will continue to start for now as there aren't many other options... Though T. Jackson is looking more and more tempting IMO, depending on his learning curve with the scheme. This team desperately needs a franchise QB.

Edited by Pigskin Altar

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bench Fitzpatrick for who??? The failure to find a QB is a total organizational failure that has been an annual event for the last ten years. Fitzpatrick looks shell shocked to me just like Edwards did.

Wilson -- Grtade F

Brandon Grade F

Nix Grade F

Gailey Grade F

David Lee Grade F

Young Grade F

Thigpen Grade F

Wandstadt Grade F

Super Mario Grade F

Anderson Grade F

The Bills Drafts for the last 10 years grade F

Bills Fans Grade A-- Nuff said.

Pure and simple, this team was not ready to play. All facets, except for CJ, were mediocre. That's on the coaching staff.

Also on the coaching staff is continuing to play a perpetual loser like McKelvin. I wouldn't expect him to make a smart play because he isn't. But this so called great athlete needs to do more than wave his hands at passes after they've been caught because he was clueless in coverage. He must know something about the coach that no one else knows.

I'm willing to give Fitz one more chance (again). Opening half jitters are somewhat understandable when you played very little in preseason. But he was terrible and probably should have been on the bench early in the second half.

With a couple hours having passed since the end of the game, I put this loss firmly on the shoulders of the coaches.

This talented team wasn't prepared. I remember last year in the opener with KC, the team was on fire. There was a plan.

Didn't see any of that today. Came out flat and got absolutely demolished.

Long season but next weekend better be different.

Only problem busting on spiller for the fumble it wasn't a fumble! Never had possession. Clear as a bell on the replay. I think that's where replacement refs hurt us, regular ones would have had balls to make the right call

Seemed the NFL was reluctant to over turn any calls so as to not make a story about bad replacement ref calls

i think there is something to be gained from Ftizpatrick playing better in the second half.

You're kidding, the game was all but over. He padded his stats

Edited by MarkyMannn

1) BEAUTIFUL run by CJ before the half. This time, he hit the hole fast and his speed did prevail. Fine thanks. Btw, great blocks on that play by both Levitre and Glenn.

2) Did anyone see McKelvin take a knee with 20 or so seconds remaining inthe first half on a kickoff? This while down by 20 points. More to come on this.

3) I think that I like Cordy Glenn, costly penaly or not.

4) For the record, Lee Smith is better than most of you think. We all know that Stevie Johnson can play, and so can Chandler. And props to, and high hopes for Donald Jones.

5) Absolutely horrible picks thrown by Fitz. The first one could have been a crucial completion if he put air under it. And by and large, he had enough time today. I would have pulled him to be honest. More to come.

6) Go ahead.....tell me about the wonderful stats that Spiller had today. I'm not impressed. His fumble before the half cost us an opportunity to get back into the football game. And this is nothing new. Many of us cling to stats in order to justify whatever or whoever we chose to validate, be it management, coaches, players, or dumb draft selections. I personally do not. I want us to make the f-*^$%g playoffs.

7) Gailey needs to step up and take charge of this football team. He should have taken Fitz out immediately after the pick at the start of the second half. He should have benched McKelvin who gave up pass after pass. He gave up both HUGE first downs and touchdowns. Justin Rogers could not have played any worse. I have backed Gailey as an offensive mind from day one. But I am going to start looking closer at him as a game manager, and a leader of this football team. And Wanny was, not decisive enough today. How could he have not pulled McKelvin? Seriously.

8) Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you'[ve got nothing new to say.

If you please, don't back up the track, this train's got to come today.

I spent a little time on the mountain; spent a little time on the hill.

I heard some say, "better run away."

Others say, "better stand still."

9) This game, in some way, endeared me to Kelsay. How sick is that? He gave it all he had, and as a fan I appreciate this.

10) OK, here is the REAL deal wrt McKelvin. I would call him mentally challenged, but this would be an insult to the mentally challenged. If I could, I would put him on the trading block right this very second. If I couldn't grab a 7th rounder, I would cut his stupid, nonchalant, inept ass as we speak. Bills management needs to set an example that horrible effort and play will NOT be acceptd. He needs to get the !@#$ off of our football team.

11) Btw, Gilmore sucked today. This is not good news. Hopefully, Gilmore will not be a repeat of resources wasted at db. But let's watch and see, OK? It WAS only game 1 of his career. And btw, A. Williams looked like a stumblebum. This reflects upon Nix.

12) We are in this together. People, don't quit.

13) Thanks Diana :thumbsup:

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to see McKelvin cut DURING the game, that's how atrocious he was.

But criticizing him for not running out a kickoff at the end of the half is a bit extreme...he's probably coached to do that, and even if he isn't, given that he's looking at impending unemployment he may be trying to save money on lawn care costs.

A perspective from the Meadowlands (I just got back from going to the game)

Offense:

1) Fitzpatrick didn't look good, but it was amazing watching the disparity in how open the Jets receivers were vs how open the Bills receivers were. The Bills receivers looked like they were wearing green blankets all day. The Jets receivers were wandering in space.

2) A couple years ago, it seemed necessary that Fitzpatrick to do those 3 step quick hits all day, because our offensive line stunk. Now, it looks like he's getting time, but his repertoire is still almost only the slants. Sit back, wait, and through the ball downfield.

3) Why was TJ Graham inactive. Don't we need someone who can run?

4) I love Jackson, he's the best player on the team, but Spiller's good. When he's in the open, it's not even fair.

Defense:

1) We can't make a team punt. The only time teams punt is in the second half, when they've gone conservative to milk the clock.

1) I've never seen a defense so unbalanced. My whole life, I've heard that you need to establish the run to setup the pass. Our defense totally defies that. We're great against the run, but we can't stop a single 3rd down pass to get off the field.

2) GET SHEPPHARD OFF THE FIELD. He doesn't have the athleticism or the physicality to play middle linebacker. How many 3rd and 5 passes were completed for a first down in front of him.

3) McKelvin always seems to be in position but he can't make a stinkin play on the ball.

4) Blitz a few times. Is there anything worse than getting torn apart and not trying to shake up a few things.

We can agree to disagee. Or, you can cite the football games Spiller has won us. Either way, is this all that you have to say? What did you think of our corners? Or the coaching? I'm with you 100% that Fitz sucked, and he was SO bad that he should have been pulled.

Sorry, Bill. I have to disagree with you also. I have been a CJ doubter so far even after his decent performance in the second half of last season. I still feel that the pick could have been used for a different position. But, today, the kid played with heart. He kept trying and despite his fumble, did not sit moping around.

I was, however, shocked and sickened by the incredibly incompetent and atrocious display of QB'ing by Fitz. Not that I expected him to suddenly be transformed into an upper echelon QB. But is it too much to expect a Dilfer-like average performance ? He single handedly sucked the life out of the O and the entire team. I wish we could throw out his second half numbers and show him out to be what he really did - one of the worst first half performances we have ever seen. The third INT had be shaking my head - there were two receivers in that area and there was no pressure in his face. Yet he underthrew that ball right to the defender.

Finally, agree with you on McK. I have been advocating seeking out a trade partner in the past offseason for any team dumb enough to give us anything. Don't know if we tried but we should do so now or when we have Brooks back at the latest. The earlier we cut our ties with this sorry excuse for a CB, the better off we will be (eball - I hope you are listening)

Edited by Fan in Chicago

11) Btw, Gilmore sucked today. This is not good news. Hopefully, Gilmore will not be a repeat of resources wasted at db. But let's watch and see, OK? It WAS only game 1 of his career. And btw, A. Williams looked like a stumblebum. This reflects upon Nix.

You really expect a CB to walk in day one and be a shut down corner? Teams with playoff expectations don't start rookie corners. The guy will be fine, it was his first game. Blame the FO on the weak cornerback situation. They spent all their assests on a pass rush off season, how did that look today?

maybe when Brooks and Mcgee are both 100%..McKelvin will be released.... Fitz had an awful game, maybe when Travaris gets involved we will see a Fitz benching, but benching him to put in Thigpen who has never had a good game might not be the best idea

McGee 100%, that's the funniest thing i've read all day on this board and there has been a lot to laugh about.

Bitching about Spiller's fumble is the height of idiocy. I will take 169 yds rushing, 25 yds receiving, a TD and a fumble every freaking week.

I can't believe ppl are really complaining about his fumble. The guy averaged 12 yds a carry and was pretty much the best back in the NFL today. He needs better ball security, sure, but i'll take the bad with the good with this guy. Over his last 8 games he has looked like one of, if not the best, players in football.

So, Kelsay once again gets props for doing nothing but "trying hard" but Spiller gets chastised for one mistake that was largely the result of a great play by the opposing DB (whom Spiller beat initially).

Spiller was the best player on the field today for the Bills, and it wasn't even close. Kelsay and the rest of the DL were invisible against the pass. 2 tackles and 1 TFL. He continued to get blocked out of the frame and completely taken out of plays. Standard CK. But at least he tried, right?

This board is funny sometimes. At least pretend to look at the game objectively.

It's Bill, he's been shitting on Spiller for 3 years, objectivity gets tossed in the trash. I knew what he'd write about Spiller before reading his post, gloss over the positive and point out the negative with regards to Spiller. Too funny and incredibly predictably.

Edited by bouds

Huh? He single handedly brought us back into this blow out. Spiller is no where near the problem. Fitz killed us just like he killed our season last year. Spiller has kept us in games last year and this week while Fitz was busy giving them away. Get over it already, he was the 9th pick in the draft...so what. He is proving to be worthy of that pick but you cant get over he was picked 9th when you wanted someone else. Stop hating him, he is the real deal and the future and the ONLY dynamic player on this offense

No one's hating him, but the guy has a penchant for putting the ball on the ground. He HAS to fix that before taking the next big step in his evolution as a Player. I thought the idea was to him and Freddy whale away on the D today. Yet they were both being used as recievers! Whatever the game plan was, it turned out to be a disaster.

With a couple hours having passed since the end of the game, I put this loss firmly on the shoulders of the coaches.

This talented team wasn't prepared. I remember last year in the opener with KC, the team was on fire. There was a plan.

Didn't see any of that today. Came out flat and got absolutely demolished.

Long season but next weekend better be different.

Me also, but we are in the minority.

It appears that most fans / posters here are content to just throw Fitz under the bus, with good reason, he did suck today. But we all knew he has games like this, wasn't this new and improved defense supposed to bail him out when he gets into trouble?

Ok whats the story, the 2011 #3 overall draft pick looked not so great. All pro Kyle Williams looked not so great. The 100 million dollar free agent DE looked not so great. one tackle, thats it?

Think about how many early draft picks are on the Bills defensive roster, and then tell me it was all Fitz! Tom Brady threw 4 picks against the Bills last season, crap happens when you throw it up in the air.

This team wasn't prepared to play in any aspect, offense, defense, special teams gave up a TD on a punt return. Fitz tried to fight back in the 2nd half and the defense just kept giving up plays.

No one's hating him, but the guy has a penchant for putting the ball on the ground. He HAS to fix that before taking the next big step in his evolution as a Player.

Exactly. We should be able to sit back and watch him display his God given talent, without having to worry about turnovers. And with FJ perhaps done, they are going to REALLY need this kid to step up. It looks like he has in terms of carrying the football, which is good news. Was he the biggest problem in this game? Of course not.

I am still sick to my stomach wrt this game. Fitz was indescribably bad, and he did have enough time. The defense, led by our secondary, was also flat out horrible. What a freaking nightmare!