We Model our Defense after the Giants?? This could be a long year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said we model our D after the Giants anyway? We haven't seen our defense yet really. When the regular season starts it will be different than what we saw is pre season just as the offense will be I'd think.

Besides, I'm thinking we probably are modeling our defense more along the lines of the 1992 Cowboys.

LOL i think I am safe in saying the Bills D will live and die by the pressure and play of your front 4. If they fail get pressure the D will be picked apart. If they get pressure (not just sacks) D will be fine and dandy....

Sounds like a Dave Wannstedt defense ... oh wait ...

Our front four is better than the Giants front four. I cant wait to see these guys in action.

You really need to practice puff-and-pass... :lol:

Then whos gonna play? The jets offence didn't even score a TD in the preseason, I doubt they are gonna show up too

I am not sure what the Jets offense did in preseason has to do with the game we play actually the Jets...in the REAL season! We should be looking at the Miami offense to gauge how the Jets offense is going to perform.

First off it was one game, and the Giants D isn't a referendum on our D. I honestly think that while the Giants D-line is much more proven, our D overall is much better in the secondary (Esp with the injuries that they have at CB) which I think is a huge difference.

Byrd and Wilson are one of the best safety tandems in the league, and our CB's while certainly unproven are much better than the Giants second stringers. Although both teams linebacking cores are about the same (Mediocre) but our secondary is much much better.

Right now I am much more confident in our D and the way its constructed.

This has been most entertaining reading! You guys can really wind it up now and again and i had some laughs. Poor Fergy. But we all learn from our experiences.

I had heard references to our defensive FF being designed to simulate another pretty good front foursome ( well really its about eightsome ). My understanding of this was that we would have two waves of fearsome foursomes that would all be starting players in the NFL. Sounded good to me. Always fresh linemen with not a big drop off.

If we can just bring four to pressure and or maintain LOS i think our secondary will look very good. As mentioned and rightly so that you should have some players behind that elite front to make the plays. I expect our team to start out a bit rough.

Edited by 3rdand12

So we model our defense after the Giants (big pass rushers, rush the QB, pressures, sacks, etc) but we have a mediocre linebacking crew and a young secondary (with the exception of Wilson).

If Tony Romo can pick that defense apart with quick slant routes and a solid running game from Murray and a fill-in O-line, are we looking at a similar fate this season?? I understand Tebow may not have the timing to execute a quick slant route to a receiver, but I'm sure Sanchez can....if our pass rush is super charged, it means nothing if they can throw 5-10 yd quick slants and gain first downs at will. Our secondary and linebackers better be ready.

I'm trying to figure out how you can possibly type this while running around in a frenzied circle with your hands outreaching the skies just flailing away.

Obviously not or every QB in the NFL would have the same success that Romo just had. Ask lady-Brady how that's worked out in the last 2 Superbowls against the Giants. Your argument is so simplified that it makes no sense what so ever. There is no defense ever that equates to stopping the pass altogether. What point are you actually trying to make? Let's bet right now that the Bills are going to MAKE Sancez beat them with longer passes. The continuation of the problem with your argument there is that Romo CAN make the long throws. The Giants limited him to the short stuff for the most part because he's a good QB. Suck-chez doesn't have that luxury.

"suck-chez" as you call him has 8tds and 2ints in the last 4 games vs hat Bills.

I suggest you wait and see how the Bills play, before you start panicking.

Are there concerns about the Bills defense, yes, but I feel confident in what they are capable of.

So let's just wait and see, fair enough?

:thumbsup:

Right on...I suppose with 72 hours or so until kickoff of opening game we all get a little antsy and overanalysis starts to kick in...in the infamous words of Bart Scott (ugh) "Can't Wait!!!"

I'm trying to figure out how you can possibly type this while running around in a frenzied circle with your hands outreaching the skies just flailing away.

The mental imagery of this is hilarious...maybe I was running around and using voice recognition software while screaming...look for typos because the software is a knockoff from Mexico......*running again* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So we model our defense after the Giants (big pass rushers, rush the QB, pressures, sacks, etc) but we have a mediocre linebacking crew and a young secondary (with the exception of Wilson).

If Tony Romo can pick that defense apart with quick slant routes and a solid running game from Murray and a fill-in O-line, are we looking at a similar fate this season?? I understand Tebow may not have the timing to execute a quick slant route to a receiver, but I'm sure Sanchez can....if our pass rush is super charged, it means nothing if they can throw 5-10 yd quick slants and gain first downs at will. Our secondary and linebackers better be ready.

I stopped reading the replies when it was clear 98% were just people slamming you down with homerism justice.

That being said, there is reason for concern on the defense regardless of whatever anyone wants to believe. There is also immense potential to be great. We won't really know anything until we get to see them take the field and start establishing what we are made of this year.

The concerns you have are valid, although I didn't get that from watching the Giants last night, its from watching this D last year and in the preseason. We have a terrible time of stopping short timing routes for about a decade now. Welker and Brady look like kids in their back yard just throwing the pig skin around with no defense...hell same for Gronk and Brady...Hernandez and Brady...etc. No question, the front line is going to be dominant IMO and great at developing pressure on the QB. However, I saw a lot of wide open holes and easy runs against them this preseason. I only hope it was more of the Vanilla D and the fact that front 4 were set and they played less intense to avoid injury. Our LB's have been suspect all preseason and they were last year, so if are front four struggle with run defense, then it could be problematic with our LB's. We will have no real additions to LB core, so one has to hope our group gets better because of a better front line. I am really hoping Nigel steps up and cracks this lineup as we can use his tenacity and speed out there.

Our DB's have talent no doubt, but lets see how they do when the bullets really fly. Their issue is lack of experience, so hopefully they continue to get better as the year goes on as they will be repeatedly tested by the opposing OC every week until they prove they are up for the challenge. Losing Brooks is going to bigger than people think. He had been performing as good as anyone this camp and preseason and was going to be a great guy to have on the field when we play the pass happy teams like NE. We can only hope McGee stays healthy, and thats a big question mark right now.

So, while I feel this D has immense potential, its not without real question marks that only the season beginning can answer. I still say we finish in the top 10, but some would say that's a bit optimistic and can't really argue with them until the D shows us what we got.

Edited by Alphadawg7