We Model our Defense after the Giants?? This could be a long year.

yes, our linebackers and secondary will have to play well. thats true of any defense. if we are missing tackles, they will get big gains too. none of that is real insight, and the basis of "this could be a long year" implied it could be a poor choice to run the giants defense.

when there is a scheme that is without weakness, im sure we will hop on it, but as it stands - having a front 4 that can get after the qb is about as close to that as you are getting.

quick passes against a strong pass rush just isnt some special insight that bellichek will suddenly realize after last night.

ive said it many a time - not all my posts are winners in hindsight - and neither was this thread.

"Could be a long year" can be interpreted in a number of ways...let me be clear: I loved the choice to get Mario and Mark Anderson, it made most of us drool at the thought of dominating the LOS...I'm not as "advanced" in my football intelligence and should have realized that just because your defensive line is strong, doesn't make it automatic that you will stop a team consistently based solely on pass rush. The game last night brought that to my attention (as I said, my ability to analyze our team is alot slower than some of you veterans of this site). My use of "could be a long year" was meant to show that my excitement for the defensive line will likely be a roller coaster ride of emotions all year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely ever post anything on here but this post is just too ridiculous.... Do you recall the Giants winning the superbowl last year? Based on two big pass plays where a 5th string CB blew coverage you come up with a conclusion that we should scrap our plans to model our defense after one that has successfully beat the ass of the team that wins our division every year?? Posts like this are reserved for the official BBMB (aka the fickle mob).

That's pretty much it right there.

"Could be a long year" can be interpreted in a number of ways...let me be clear: I loved the choice to get Mario and Mark Anderson, it made most of us drool at the thought of dominating the LOS...I'm not as "advanced" in my football intelligence and should have realized that just because your defensive line is strong, doesn't make it automatic that you will stop a team consistently based solely on pass rush. The game last night brought that to my attention (as I said, my ability to analyze our team is alot slower than some of you veterans of this site). My use of "could be a long year" was meant to show that my excitement for the defensive line will likely be a roller coaster ride of emotions all year.

fair enough, i was just pointing out why it got the reaction it did.

theres no defense thats perfect. they all have weaknesses. there will be weeks this board complains that we never should have spent the money as a play or two failed and burned us badly.... but ultimately.... rushing with 4 is the best way to achieve success. if we tackle poorly, cant cover a receiver, etc... no amount of pass rush will save you. additionally, if you cant score yourself... rarely can a D save you.

we are building the right direction, and will definitely take some lumps this year still. but we are going the right way.

So we model our defense after the Giants (big pass rushers, rush the QB, pressures, sacks, etc) but we have a mediocre linebacking crew and a young secondary (with the exception of Wilson).

If Tony Romo can pick that defense apart with quick slant routes and a solid running game from Murray and a fill-in O-line, are we looking at a similar fate this season?? I understand Tebow may not have the timing to execute a quick slant route to a receiver, but I'm sure Sanchez can....if our pass rush is super charged, it means nothing if they can throw 5-10 yd quick slants and gain first downs at will. Our secondary and linebackers better be ready.

The Bills have not proven that they can stop the run. They did not prove it last season and they have not proved it in the pre season. I expect the Jets to attempt to run the ball 60% of the time or more . If they are successful the Bills will start the season 0-1.

I wouldn't use last nights game as much of a measuring stick for the Bills defence or the Giants

The Cowboys were getting surprise production from tehir #3 WR who was left being covered by the Giants #5 CB (And CB has not been a strong spot of the Giants defence in a while, I seem to remember people wanting to trade some of our CB depth to them to help them out earlier). The real issue in that game (It was only a TD difference) was a TD being saved by a horsecollar tackle (It was a great penalty to take in that situation because you save a TD, and the worst that happens is they move up a few yards closer to teh endzone), and the NY offence not being able to get many points on the board against teh Cowboys defence.

So we model our defense after the Giants (big pass rushers, rush the QB, pressures, sacks, etc) but we have a mediocre linebacking crew and a young secondary (with the exception of Wilson).

If Tony Romo can pick that defense apart with quick slant routes and a solid running game from Murray and a fill-in O-line, are we looking at a similar fate this season?? I understand Tebow may not have the timing to execute a quick slant route to a receiver, but I'm sure Sanchez can....if our pass rush is super charged, it means nothing if they can throw 5-10 yd quick slants and gain first downs at will. Our secondary and linebackers better be ready.

We aren't tailoring our defense after the Giants, Wannstedt ran this defense for years. Do you guys just watch football or complain inessantly?Get a grip...

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

Romo had the best second half of his career.

The giants offense was putrid. Victor Cruz had three critical dropped passes, their tight end a few more. Other than one long draw to bradshaw the giants running game was abysmal. They lost their starting MLB and had their 4th or 5 th CB covering ogletree due to injuries coming in and during the game.

Giant d was great in the first half but just got tired....

Things will be fine...

For the record....I ended up posting almost the exact same thing in the shoutbox last night after I watched the game....

We DO model our defense after the Giants in many ways.......but after I went back and looked at it a little further

- The Giants do not have our safeties....Byrd and Wilson are much better

- The Giants were playing their 5th cornerback as injuries are killing them in the secondary (anyone still think Gilmore was the wrong pick?)

What I worry about is our defense having a game like this and people start blaming our offense for it........lets keep it real....how our defense goes.....our team goes.

That is where FItz struggles....when he is asked to win games on his arm because our defense cant stop anyone....hoping for it to be different this year.

For me anyways, The G-men looked flat, on both sides of the ball. But worse than that the friggin cowgirls won, which will feed the BS coming from the talking bobble heads about the girls going all the way this year. ESPN will lead the charge, even though it's only a single game.

Other than AFCE rivals there isn't a team in the league I despise more than JJ's 'Girls.

God forbid that someone introduces valid skepticism before the season starts.

What part of assuming "since the Giants run a similar Defensive scheme, and the Giants had trouble in their season opener, therefore the Bills defense (with different players and coaches) will have trouble this season" is logically valid?

What part of assuming "since the Giants run a similar Defensive scheme, and the Giants had trouble in their season opener, therefore the Bills defense (with different players and coaches) will have trouble this season" is logically valid?

To make it better, it's been expanded on with the fact that he didn't really get that with a good front four a defense could possibly look bad.

Granted, my observation is quite elementary and does not challenge the superior intellect of the football veterans on this Board....but it does relate to the Bills and it does not have the word "Tebow" in it.....oh wait, it does. Scratch that...

Seriously, the main thrust of the post has to do with how we may (MAY) be disappointed with our defensive unit when teams begin dumping the ball off quick...by taking our front four out of the game (with quick release passing plays) we may (MAY) become frustrated with how our linebackers and secondary perform. I love our team...just don't want to get ahead of myself. Our DLine may very well dominate opposing OLines, but on any quick slant pattern where they don't smash the QB into ground beef, they are pretty much a non-factor....the ball is in the LB's and CB's court.