Bills vs Jets preview

Bufcomments

will try to do this every week during the season. Here we go.

QB's Will give the edge to Fitz this time out but only a slight one. Edge Bills

RB's Jackson and CJ big time over Green and Tebow. Tebow to me is a RB. Not really worried about the Wildcat because the Bills run it and we did a good job against Tebow last yr in the Denver game. Edge Bills

WR's Stevie vs Revis nuff said. But can Nelson and Graham make plays to take pressure off Stevie?? Holmes vs the rookie Gilmore is one to watch. Can Bills LB's and Safeties stop the passes to Keller? To me this is the key to the game. Even

OL Bills OL is getting Pears back slight upgrade over Harrison. Rookie Glenn starts his first game and Rex Ryan will damn sure test him. Jets line is pretty good except for RT. Right now this is Even.

DL Bills DL should create some pressure on the edges with Mario and Anderson. Kyle Williams and Dareus gonna win some and lose some vs Mangold, Moore. Dont sleep on the Jets DL as they have some studs (Ellis, Coples,Pouha) . They might cause some havoc themselfs. Slight edge Bills

LB's Jets LB's are top notch David Harris is a beast, Scott and Pace can ball. Maybin's speed could cause problems off the edge. Bills Moats and Shepard can be beat in coverage. Only Barnett of the Bills can make plays . Big Edge Jets.

CB's Revis and Cromartie damn they are good. Bills Gilmore starts first game and Williams has been up and down. Wish McGee was 100 percent but even if he was the Jets are better. Edge Jets

Safeties Byrd maybe one of the best overall FS in the league. Wilson will make sure everybody in place and is a true captain. Jets damn good here also with the hard hitting Landry and Bell from the Fins. Edge Even.

Special teams Moorman can control field position is this game. He may have to. Slight edge Bills

Coaching Rex and Chan almost cancel each other out. The real issue is Tony S vs The Stash. If Wannstat can outcoach The Wildcat coach from Miami the Bills will have a better chance of winning. Slight edge Jets because chan is 0-4 vs them.

My prediction

Bills should be able to outscore Jets in a low scoring Defensive game. Bills 17- Jets 14.

I don't know how you can call the WR vs CB match up as even. The Jets have two very good CBs in Revis and Cromartie...The Bills have just one bonafide WR. Even if Jackson does better than Revis, I just don't know if the other WR can step up against Cromartie. The advantage clearly goes to the Jets on this.

The Bills OL has not had the continuity in the off season that is needed for it to gel. I am actually hoping that Hairston starts at RT instead of Pears for this game and I hope Wood comes back to his original form. Still that Jets defensive front seven is outstanding. I have to give the advantage to the Jet here too.

Another frightening matchup is the Jets TEs against our LBs. Dustin Keller could have a field day with our LB crew if Sanchez gets the time to throw.

Edited by ganesh

We need a score on the first possesion. Too many times last year we were playing from behind because our offense took forever to warm up. It's going to be a tough fight but I've said this to my friends at the office that are Bills fans... The season outlook really will be told by how we handle this first game. If we come out looking rejuvinated and just crush the Jets then it will be a definite confidence booster for the locker room and a statement to the AFC East competition. If we get burned and hang our heads then it will get us off to a bad start where we haven't been able to win in our division will continue to be an issue.

Our Defense should keep us in games especially this one but we have to be able run the ball on offense and not leave so much on Fitz shoulders. I hope to see a 70/30 run to pass ratio in this game. Two back backfields and some screens to the open side would be nice also. Keep it simple. runs and screens. The Bills ended on a good note in preseason on first team offense. Let's hope that we can trust Chan to put the ball in freddy and CJ's hands more than Fitz until he builds up his confidence with short throws before they start to air it out. If this game ends up an air battle I don't think we can win.

Edited by MClem06

I don't know how you can call the WR vs CB match up as even. The Jets have two very good CBs in Revis and Cromartie...The Bills have just one bonafide WR. Even if Jackson does better than Revis, I just don't know if the other WR can step up against Cromartie. The advantage clearly goes to the Jets on this.

The Bills OL has not had the continuity in the off season that is needed for it to gel. I am actually hoping that Hairston starts at RT instead of Pears for this game and I hope Wood comes back to his original form. Still that Jets defensive front seven is outstanding. I have to give the advantage to the Jet here too.

Another frightening matchup is the Jets TEs against our LBs. Dustin Keller could have a field day with our LB crew if Sanchez gets the time to throw.

I called it even because both Freddy and CJ can catch out of the backfield as far as the wide outs are concerned. I think Stevie will get some plays on Revis. You maybe right on the Oline.

My prediction

Jets 27

Bills 24

Jets get home field advantage

Dont think Sanchez /Tebow will score 27 points in this game. Not the way they looked in the preseason.

We need a score on the first possesion. Too many times last year we were playing from behind because our offense took forever to warm up. It's going to be a tough fight but I've said this to my friends at the office that are Bills fans... The season outlook really will be told by how we handle this first game. If we come out looking rejuvinated and just crush the Jets then it will be a definite confidence booster for the locker room and a statement to the AFC East competition. If we get burned and hang our heads then it will get us off to a bad start where we haven't been able to win in our division will continue to be an issue.

Our Defense should keep us in games especially this one but we have to be able run the ball on offense and not leave so much on Fitz shoulders. I hope to see a 70/30 run to pass ratio in this game. Two back backfields and some screens to the open side would be nice also. Keep it simple. runs and screens. The Bills ended on a good note in preseason on first team offense. Let's hope that we can trust Chan to put the ball in freddy and CJ's hands more than Fitz until he builds up his confidence with short throws before they start to air it out. If this game ends up an air battle I don't think we can win.

+1 I agree with you 100 percent Bills need to score first and early .

Remember how bad Chiefs looked last preseason? They couldnt get out of their own way and were favored to beat us because it was at home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78GT-Cerg2o

Im predicting a ugly blowout. This game will be over by halftime

Yikes that was post 6,666. :devil:

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Remember how bad Chiefs looked last preseason? They couldnt get out of their own way and were favored to beat us because it was at home?

Man, I would love for this to happen. I personally don't think it will, but that would be a great start.

To me, it comes to a few matchups:

Jets O-line vs Bills D-Line

I think the Bills have the edge here. What matters, is exactly how much they do. Since the O-line is essential to the run game and any passes longer than a quick dump or screen. The Jets have not had a lot of success there this preseason. They've made some personnel adjustments in the final weeks, so I can't say for sure, but from Weeks 1-3, I can see them getting eaten alive by Mario, Dareus, Kyle and Anderson.

Shonn Greene is a good running back, but not an elite one IMHO. If we shut down the line, his usefulness to the run game will be minimal

In the passing game if the Bills can generate pressure on Sanchez/Tebow with just four guys, this opens up a lot of opportunities. After that, they'll need to watch for TE's, which would match against our nickel LB Scott and CB McKelvin.

The two typical ways to counteract a pass rush are Max Protect schemes and the spread offense. Max Protection means maybe three recievers, matched up against potentially 7 defenders. Big Ben could beat it, with an elite arm and high powered receivers. Sanchez has neither. Tebow is a worse passer. If they have solid tight ends, they may try the spread but again, it doesn't play to their QB's strengths.

Bills TE's and WR against Jet's Secondary

There is no denying that the Jets Secondary is strong. They have an elite CB in Revis, a very good one in Cromartie, and a very strong safety combo with Landry and Bell. While Stevie Johnson has historically had success against Revis if he does well the Jets will double team him if there is no other threat. I am willing to bet that the Bills will play many 4 WR sets, or maybe some 2 TE if they use Dickerson that way. I honestly don't expect Donald Jones to win many matchups, so I will be looking more at how Nelson, Graham, Chandler and Dickerson do. If they can open up the Jets, the Bills offense can give a reason not to have 8 men in the box.

I have us losing this game, but the rest of the season if we stay healthy and tons of injuries dont pile up, I think we go 10-6 slipping into playoffs or 9-7 barely missing playoffs. Jets 20 Bills 13 = Bills come out flat and it becomes a wake up call and we do pretty good the rest of the year beating Jets at our house later. I would love to be completely incorrect with my prediction. LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

We stop the run, we win. That's the only reason why the Jests have had our number in recent years. We have absolutely sucked moose against the run.

I gotta give their defense credit though. They've been very good for a while now. I want to see Gailey devise ways to isolate their LBs in coverage. If we can have success in the middle of the field, Ryan will have to rethink his coverages a bit.

Unless Wanny decides to play matchup with Gilmore, I doubt we'll see much to his side of the field once they pick on Williams and have success. I look for the Jests to get Holmes against Williams as often as possible.

Stop the run. We win. It bares repeating.

GO BILLS!!!

Stop the run at al costs, Sanchez thrives on PA

Cover the quick slant to Holmes

Keep the Jets O on third and long situations

Always know where Keller is.

Our offense needs to be patient, run the ball even if it's not very effective, put Lee Smith on the field to block. Two scores could be enough to win this one.

I think our defense really comes alive with game one and all the adrenaline. We have been killed last few seasons by the jets, and I think we get our Mojo going like the second half of the Pats game last year. We show the league what our front D-Line is made of, and put tons of pressure on Sanchez and Tebow. We are prepared for the Wildcat, and I think Chan has really held back in Preseason to keep the No Respect vibe going and keeping the team hungry, and the league wondering.

Some of our weak secondary shows, but we have the ability to outscore if Fitzy is even decent, which I believe he will be much better than that. Our O-line has some concerns but hold their own and give Freddy AND CJ time and space to break some long runs.

Bills 24

Jets 13

I called it even because both Freddy and CJ can catch out of the backfield as far as the wide outs are concerned. I think Stevie will get some plays on Revis. You maybe right on the Oline.

Dont think Sanchez /Tebow will score 27 points in this game. Not the way they looked in the preseason.

+1 I agree with you 100 percent Bills need to score first and early .

Not sure if you noticed but Spiller and Jackson aren't WRs. And why do you compare position by position for each position except for WRs? Makes no sense.

I think the Jets are going to win an ugly game.

In fact, I think the start of the Bills season will look rough in general, and we'll see what the true make-up of our team is, going into the last half of the season.

I thought we found that out last year with all the injuries? And that because of it we would have good depth in critical areas. Hmmm, guess not!

Cromartie is ridiculously overrated. Yes Revis is amazing, best CB in the league no doubt. Cromartie is a gambler, makes plays sometimes, gives up huge plays others. Since Revis plays on an island, Cromartie has help on virutally every play over the top. He can certainly be beat.

To your point though, other than SJ our receivers suck. Theirs may suck even more though.

I thought DJ actually looked pretty decent in the preseason, maybe he can surprise people this year? Last year he was concussed badly in the preseason, then struggled before getting hurt again. For him it's all about hands, can he actually catch the ball reliably?

Man, I would love for this to happen. I personally don't think it will, but that would be a great start.

To me, it comes to a few matchups:

Jets O-line vs Bills D-Line

I think the Bills have the edge here. What matters, is exactly how much they do. Since the O-line is essential to the run game and any passes longer than a quick dump or screen. The Jets have not had a lot of success there this preseason. They've made some personnel adjustments in the final weeks, so I can't say for sure, but from Weeks 1-3, I can see them getting eaten alive by Mario, Dareus, Kyle and Anderson.

Shonn Greene is a good running back, but not an elite one IMHO. If we shut down the line, his usefulness to the run game will be minimal

In the passing game if the Bills can generate pressure on Sanchez/Tebow with just four guys, this opens up a lot of opportunities. After that, they'll need to watch for TE's, which would match against our nickel LB Scott and CB McKelvin.

The two typical ways to counteract a pass rush are Max Protect schemes and the spread offense. Max Protection means maybe three recievers, matched up against potentially 7 defenders. Big Ben could beat it, with an elite arm and high powered receivers. Sanchez has neither. Tebow is a worse passer. If they have solid tight ends, they may try the spread but again, it doesn't play to their QB's strengths.

Bills TE's and WR against Jet's Secondary

There is no denying that the Jets Secondary is strong. They have an elite CB in Revis, a very good one in Cromartie, and a very strong safety combo with Landry and Bell. While Stevie Johnson has historically had success against Revis if he does well the Jets will double team him if there is no other threat. I am willing to bet that the Bills will play many 4 WR sets, or maybe some 2 TE if they use Dickerson that way. I honestly don't expect Donald Jones to win many matchups, so I will be looking more at how Nelson, Graham, Chandler and Dickerson do. If they can open up the Jets, the Bills offense can give a reason not to have 8 men in the box.

Their whole D is strong that is why I predicted a low scoring game, both offenses will struggle.

D. Jones might have the edge in the running game vs Cromartie so I bet the Bills will try to run wide to his side and it might even work.

I think the difference will be our unning game. I expect Jackson to be a beast, supprlemented by Spiller. We didn't seem much during the preseason and I can see us using two tight ends from time to time to supplement the running game. Stevie will be tied up with Revis throughout the game, so I see a lot of short to medium range passes. I think the Bills win 24-17

Buffalo 21

Jets 10

Bills offense scores twice, Bills D scores a TD or gets a turnover deep in Jets territory that the Bills cash in on. Bills play super conservative ground and pound to keep from turning over the ball. Jets score 10 but its a closer game than the score indicates. I could easily see it being a blowout but I think the Jets D keeps them in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78GT-Cerg2o

Yikes that was post 6,666. :devil:

I agree. Maybe not an ugly blowout. But easy win for sure. 35-12

Staying true to my original prediction: Slow start, fast finish (to the playoffs).

The NJ team: 23

The only NY team: 21

Jets are better than they're given credit for. We will, however, obliterate them the second time around.

Not according to most nfl reporters. More nfl reporters have them 3rd in afc east vs us being 3rd in afc east.

They have a trouble scoring vs a dominant dline with much depth. We dont even have to play perfect to win this game. Easy win.

Sticking with my original prediction.

Jets 17

Bills 7

I think our offense really struggles in this game to gain any traction. We will get better though.

The score will not be that low. But if it is, it would be the other way.

Our oline is solid. Only 3 sacks last year (yes fast passes..). Still only 3 sacks is huge. Best in the nfl last year. We have a top 5 rb in FJ. You're only giving us 1 td?? Stevie outplays Revis. That's it. Too bad for Revis. Plus our dline should get us some forced fumbles (or 3and outs) and give us at least 2-3 easy field goals. Our kickers and punters are super good. We win field position easily.

Oh someone mentioned their tight end. He's no way near a Gronk or a Hernandez. Please dont mention their tight end. He will need to be blocking Super Mario anyway. No one sees this? Man, finally the nfl sees what this team is capable of, except its fans??????

When did they ever predict us making the playoffs in the offseason??? It's been a long time. But this time they have. At the same time they are predicting the jets not even winning 8 games.... Wake up and smell the blow out!!!!

The key to the game is protecting Fitz from Rex Ryan's blitz happy defense. If the Bills can do a good job of that and get Jackson 10-15 touches the Bills will win.

I expect the Bills to be able to generate a very good pass rush with their front four. They will sack Sanchez 3-5 times in this game.

Bills win 24-13.

The key to the game is protecting Fitz from Rex Ryan's blitz happy defense. If the Bills can do a good job of that and get Jackson 10-15 touches the Bills will win.

I expect the Bills to be able to generate a very good pass rush with their front four. They will sack Sanchez 3-5 times in this game.

Bills win 24-13.

Every starting rb gets the ball that much each game. That's nothing. 25 carries for like 125 sounds more desirable. Oh wait, only 180 posts..

Sure 10 carries is great!!!!

Bills win 24-13.

if Jackson get 25 carries for 100 yds we win

But he will have earned every yd vs this defense

if Jackson get 25 carries for 100 yds we win

But he will have earned every yd vs this defense

I disagree with you. I think their defense is overrated this year. Our oline is very solid. They should open up some lanes for him pretty easily. He will have a lot of easy yards.

I like fj more this year. He is a true rb.

I see the Bills winning this one handily. Jets are a mess, and although they have some strengths they also have some glaring weaknesses. A mediocre QB who's going to be under constant pressure, no RBs to speak of, and a gaping hole at RT. Add to that the locker room discord and I just don't see them getting it done.

This is a divisional game.

The winner will be tied for first place and have put their opponent in last place.

There is no way this game is a cake walk.

That said, the Bills win.

This game is almost like a playoff game to me , well it has the same feeling to it.

I see the Bills winning this one handily. Jets are a mess, and although they have some strengths they also have some glaring weaknesses. A mediocre QB who's going to be under constant pressure, no RBs to speak of, and a gaping hole at RT. Add to that the locker room discord and I just don't see them getting it done.

The question is: Does Chan have enough in his bag to identify those weakness and take advantage. If the Bills load up the box and pressure Sanchez, this game is ours to lose.

My prediction: Bills 17, Jets 14 for reasons stated elsewhere.

Was amused by Peter Kings pick (Bills 27, Jets 13):

1 p.m. ET (CBS) Buffalo Bills (0-0) at New York Jets (0-0)

Here come Mario Williams and Mark Anderson to torment Mark Sanchez, and Sanchez has to be wondering what horrible thing he did in some past life to be undergoing the kind of competitive torture that'll confront him late in this game. "TEE-Bow, TEE-Bow!" The chants will rain down on him if he's down big in the fourth quarter of this one, and Sanchez will be rooting for 15 road games by the time he walks off the field.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/06/week-1/index.html#ixzz25kwt2lMp